Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/melissadderosa/status/1251924079768199171

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ChipNDip posted:

old, obese, generally in poor health?

I got bad news about the american populace

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Taking those serology studies at face value is a very bad idea. Thread: https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1251332447691628545

This week in virology also said that the serology tests can't be trusted right now because they are identifying a broader scope of corona viruses than just covid-19.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

what's her point?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ChipNDip posted:

If that's the case, the CFR is truly "just the flu" like MAGA guys have said. You can't have it both ways

Even if you consider a very high number of asymptomatic infections, the CFR is going to be much higher than the flu.

In reality, the death rate may be something closer to .5-.7% looking at Dutch numbers.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Apr 19, 2020

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.boston25news.com/news/cdc-reviewing-stunning-universal-testing-results-boston-homeless-shelter/Z253TFBO6RG4HCUAARBO4YWO64/

quote:

BOSTON — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now “actively looking into” results from universal COVID-19 testing at Pine Street Inn homeless shelter.

The broad-scale testing took place at the shelter in Boston’s South End a week and a half ago because of a small cluster of cases there.

Of the 397 people tested, 146 people tested positive. Not a single one had any symptoms.

“It was like a double knockout punch. The number of positives was shocking, but the fact that 100 percent of the positives had no symptoms was equally shocking,” said Dr. Jim O’Connell, president of Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program, which provides medical care at the city’s shelters.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The man was identified as Gabriel Wortman and authorities said he disguised himself as a police officer in uniform at one point and mocked up a car to make it seem like a Royal Canadian Mounted Police cruiser.

The incident started in the small, rural town of Portapique, with police advising residents to lock their homes and stay in their basements. Police found many dead inside and outside the home of the first scene. Several structures were on fire in the area as well.

:stare:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Admiral Ray posted:

what's her point?

she works for cuomo
e: she's literally his secretary

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

up to 14 days of pre-symptomatic transmission is a motherfucker

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Ardennes posted:

Even if you consider a very high number of asymptomatic infections, the CFR is going to be much higher than the flu.

What % is acceptably high to keep people locked down under arbitrary restrictions, and for how long?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

silicone thrills posted:

I already disowned my dad and haven't spoken to him in 15 years. Sometimes he just sends me weird poo poo and I never reply. The rest of that chatlog is wild.

I'm about to disown my sister.

this is an unpopular take but if the worst thing about your family is that they're chuds being a part of their lives can make them less chuddish

obviously you know your own life better than me though but sometimes goons are quick to :sever:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Dammerung posted:

This is so incredibly upsetting to see when taking protests and demands to end social distancing and other preventative acts into account. It's working! We're beating this! This is quite possibly the worst possible time to reverse course.

trump

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

shovelbum posted:

I feel like if you want to wear a mask you should back it up with a gun, as seen in the chud protests where they were roaming around ripping peoples' masks off

This is why it's ok I don't have one, I absolutely think I would shoot them

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ChipNDip posted:

What % is acceptably high to keep people locked down under arbitrary restrictions, and for how long?

Btw, if you think I am a right-wing shill for saying asymptomatic carriers higher than 50%, you can stop it because I think the lock-down should last for months. If anything, it is going to get worse during the summer.

We could still be looking at hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Apr 19, 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

ChipNDip posted:

0.001%, until death. :doggo:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
tromp time!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ChipNDip posted:

So when is it OK for people to not be Wall-E pod people? Especially given that a lot of the fatalities are old, obese, generally in poor health?

ChipNDip posted:

get the gently caress out of here with this garbage

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, Iceland has 1771 confirmed cases and 9 deaths, and the Netherlands has 32,655 confirmed cases and 3,684 deaths, the difference is Iceland tested a far larger percentage of their population.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Apr 19, 2020

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
he brought q tips as props lol

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1251997909836587009

What was that about reopening the strip?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ChipNDip posted:

If that's the case, the CFR is truly "just the flu" like MAGA guys have said. You can't have it both ways

ChipNDip posted:

So when is it OK for people to not be Wall-E pod people? Especially given that a lot of the fatalities are old, obese, generally in poor health?

ChipNDip posted:

just go outside bro its fine its just the flu

Rah! has issued a correction as of 23:36 on Apr 19, 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

i wonder how many people would actually die from the flu if we stopped vaccinating for it.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Assuming the tests actually work in the first place, aren't they from the same company with the "rapid" test that has a 20% false negative rate? Also the fact that no one knows how much protection antibodies give or how long it lasts.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status/1252003265543315459

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

silicone thrills posted:

I already disowned my dad and haven't spoken to him in 15 years. Sometimes he just sends me weird poo poo and I never reply. The rest of that chatlog is wild.

I'm about to disown my sister.

I don't speak to my parents or sister, I'm about to cut off my chud aunt that I only speak with once or twice a year. Now none of them know where I live and I'm happy about it. My cousin cut off the family and moved to India 2 years ago but no one other than me knows where he is

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/QKpTls4.mp4

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

apatheticman posted:

This week in virology also said that the serology tests can't be trusted right now because they are identifying a broader scope of corona viruses than just covid-19.

hahahaha, they're gonna say 60% of people already had it and "actually" the CFR is even less than the flu! everyone go back to work! I said this was the loving plan 3 weeks ago and now it's just proving true.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
:flaccid: :flaccid: :flaccid:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1252003626718986240

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Eric Andre is getting really serious

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Raiad posted:

if it ends, you'll probably get a good encore on it once it turns out that doing so is a really bad idea

they're not going to lockdown again so we're all going to be forced to pretend things are normal because we'll have been forced back to work

they'll outlaw masks by july

telling a boomer tourist that they're insane assholes will be met with immediate dismissal

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1252005396438495233

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/JarrettBellini/status/1252003469537525761

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

anyway we’re gunna fuckin open up everything

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Lol posters taking ChipNDip at face value

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ardennes posted:

I don't know about Navy numbers, but it very well may be that Iceland's testing is to a higher degree so you have far more confirmed cases. By April 6, they had already tested 6% of the population, that would be nearly 20 million tests in the US.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN21Y102

This is some extra wild extrapolation here and doesn't account for the unknown false positive rate at play.

Trying to figure out how many people are actually asymptomatic using data this unreliable will get you entirely useless numbers.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

You suffocate

LIKE A DOG

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
"The governor of Louisiana has been great on the bed"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Btw, Iceland has 1771 confirmed cases and 9 deaths, and the Netherlands has 32,655 confirmed cases and 3,684 deaths, the difference is Iceland tested a far larger percentage of their population.

Yeah Iceland allowed anyone one to get tested without any red tape or having to meet the probable exposure criteria.

They found some really interesting data as a added bonus

https://www.genengnews.com/news/icelands-aggressive-covid-19-testing-helped-curb-outbreak/

quote:

Iceland has 364,000 inhabitants. Currently, roughly 10% of them are aware of whether or not they have COVID-19. This is due to a massive undertaking by Kári Stefánsson, MD, Dr. Med., the co-founder, president, and CEO of deCODE genetics—a population genetics powerhouse that has routinely produced new discoveries in fields such as genomic architecture, cancer genetics, and mental illness. Now, deCODE has combined the most intensive targeted testing and general screening of any population to date for SARS-CoV-2.

The work is published in an article titled, “Spread of SARS-CoV-2 in the Icelandic Population” published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

deCODE started testing high-risk people—defined as those who were symptomatic (cough, fever, body aches, and shortness of breath) and who were returning to Iceland from countries or regions that were classified as high risk or who had been in contact with infected persons—on January 31. It took one month to confirm the first SARS-CoV-2 infection, on February 28, in a person who had just returned from northern Italy. Overall, roughly 13% of people in the high-risk group (1,221 of 9,199) tested positive for SARS-CoV-2.

A separate group of the general population was also tested, starting on March 13. The testing was open to all residents of Iceland who were symptom-free or who had mild symptoms of the common cold. The population screening used two strategies: issuing an open invitation to 10,797 persons and sending random invitations to 2,283 persons. Of those tested in the general population, 87 (0.8%) in the open-invitation screening and 13 (0.6%) in the random-population screening tested positive for the virus.

Young children (under 10) and females were less likely to test positive for SARS-CoV-2 than adolescents or adults and males. The authors write that, “whether the lower incidence of positive results in these two groups resulted from less exposure to the virus or from biologic resistance is not known.”

All participants who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 were required to self-isolate until 10 days after fever had subsided or until they tested negative, and all contacts of these participants were required to self-quarantine for two weeks.

The frequency of SARS-CoV-2 infection in the overall Icelandic population remained stable from March 13 to April 1, a finding that “appears to indicate that the containment measures had been working.”

testing found that the genetic origin for all the cases was the European epicenter such as Italy

quote:

deCODE sequenced the virus from 643 individuals and drew a family tree of the different haplotypes found. Analysis of sequence data reveals that the haplotypes of the virus detected in the early targeted testing were almost entirely of the A2 clade originating in Austria and Italy and entering Iceland with people returning from skiing holidays. By contrast, the cases identified in the more recent targeted testing and in deCODE’s population screening show that various haplotypes of the A1 clade prevalent in countries such as the U.K. had become more common, and that there is now a wide and growing variety of haplotypes present in the population.

This suggests that the virus entered Iceland from many countries, including those that were then deemed low-risk. Currently, 291 mutations have been found in the country that have not been identified elsewhere. These data, and the fact that the majority of new infections are coming from those already in quarantine, underscores the general efficacy of public health efforts to track and isolate these contacts and further control the spread of the virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I love this president and I love it when he tells me what arousal means.