Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ChipNDip posted:

Telling people that they can't participate in basic social life is cruel and insane, how do you not understand this?

is that more cruel and insane than participating in basic social life if you know it will kill a bunch of nice old grandmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ChipNDip posted:

I'll ask again because nobody ITT seems to have a real answer (other than "indefinitely" with Sheng claims nobody is saying). When, in terms of virus spread or an actual date estimate, do you think it will be OK for people to:

- Buy "non-essential" items at stores? This includes items like paint, seeds, furniture, etc. that the dumb CHUDs protested about

- Visit friends who aren't in their ~household~? In groups of 5? 10? 15?

- Do any sort of "normal" activity with precautions like masks and 6-ft distancing?

This is all I have ever argued about and asked about ITT.

1. they already can

2. they already can

3. they already can

this is the problem

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

shovelbum posted:

I'm not really freaking out I'm just saying we could ruin the USA in a bad way that fucks over the workers long term if we reopen without understanding the nature of the disease

nothing personal it's just the optimal juxtaposition

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Paint?

Why are we buying paint?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ChipNDip posted:

I'll ask again because nobody ITT seems to have a real answer (other than "indefinitely" with Sheng claims nobody is saying). When, in terms of virus spread or an actual date estimate, do you think it will be OK for people to:

- Buy "non-essential" items at stores? This includes items like paint, seeds, furniture, etc. that the dumb CHUDs protested about

- Do any sort of "normal" activity with precautions like masks and 6-ft distancing?

i get a better idea. how bout you shut the gently caress up lmao.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Knight posted:

I'm giving you explicit permission to go hang out at your friend's house. Go ahead.

Strangely, I don't think you have friends that want to see you or hear from you so you're raging at strangers on the internet because that's the only social interaction you have.

Go on. Get out there. Stop being such a whiny baby that since stranger might disapprove of your actions, unless strangers are the only people you interact with.

That is all I've ever been mad about. If you're seriously saying that it's OK, then I have no argument with you and I agree that we should continue social distancing.

The whole reason that I'm ~mad online~ is that a lot of people do NOT think it's acceptable to visit friends or buy seeds.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ok

You can, many stores have pickup at curb options or allow social distancing in stores.

You still can but its a jerk thing to do, might kill your friends parents/grandparents. But whatevs get your drink done.

Nobody loving knows dude, thats science, it doesnt have the answers right away. Deal with it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Paint?

Why are we buying paint?

Paint chips and dip

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paint?

Why are we buying paint?

Coatings maintenance is the absolute definition of essential

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

ChipNDip posted:

Yes, they are. How many of you ITT have visited anyone outside of your household in the past month? How long are you prepared to have zero in-person social interaction with anyone you don't currently live with? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years?

People are flipping out about people going to the loving park or visiting friends 1-on-1. How long is it going to be wrongthink to do that?

look, just because they open things back up doesn't mean that you won't be putting your friends' lives at risk by meeting with them

and if they're smarter than you, it DEFINITELY won't mean that they'll want to meet up with you (especially you) anytime soon

Bund
Mar 2, 2007

you are getting very hungry

mystes posted:

You need like 70% of the population to have immunity to get herd immunity. If people's immunity doesn't last until that point it might never end until we get a vaccine.

not exactly. the necessary herd immunity threshold to act as a firewall correlates directly with the R0. when roni runs wild, the R0 is high enough that anything south of 80% immunity will let it continue to propagate

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ChipNDip posted:

1: You can already do this. They're protesting about this made-up bullshit because they read it on the internet and decided to get mad about it, the same reason they're all loving saying Bill Gates is trying to cut their dick off or whatever other loving dumb poo poo they have signs and complaints for at the protests.

2: You can already do this. I hung out with a group of friends the other day. Guess what, we've all been in quarantine with no outside contact so it's 100% safe to do so!

3: You can already do this. Also, "precautions like masks and 6-ft distancing" are an unreasonable expectation in many situations, which is why the restrictions exist in the first place.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ChipNDip posted:

That is all I've ever been mad about. If you're seriously saying that it's OK, then I have no argument with you and I agree that we should continue social distancing.

The whole reason that I'm ~mad online~ is that a lot of people do NOT think it's acceptable to visit friends or buy seeds.

nobody cares if you do curbside pickup for a bag of seeds lmfao

go visit your friends if you don't care about the risk or think it's acceptable.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Paint?

Why are we buying paint?

gotta huff something

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
WHICH IS WHY YOU GET GET PAINT DELIVERED OR CURBSIDE PICKUPED

proper "truck on a route from a warehouse" delivery is good actually in this time and in normal times

sending a guy in ur place who isn't consolidating multiple orders is generally less good both now and generally

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

a lot of americans are enduring the first period of actual material hardship in their lives and going real nutso

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

is this because today has a lower Number than usual and people think we're at the peak again?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, as far as the lockdown goes, it may be months and there is probably going to be a third wave during the fall/winter that will require another lockdown.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bund posted:

not exactly. the necessary herd immunity threshold to act as a firewall correlates directly with the R0. when roni runs wild, the R0 is high enough that anything south of 80% immunity will let it continue to propagate
Oh, thanks, I feel much better about it now.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

is that more cruel and insane than participating in basic social life if you know it will kill a bunch of nice old grandmas

How many additional deaths will happen if people visit others on a limited basis, but do not visit the old and vulnerable? What is the magic that transmits the virus?

apatheticman posted:

Ok

You can, many stores have pickup at curb options or allow social distancing in stores.

You still can but its a jerk thing to do, might kill your friends parents/grandparents. But whatevs get your drink done.

Nobody loving knows dude, thats science, it doesnt have the answers right away. Deal with it.

We do know that being a hermit indefinitely is very, very bad for your health in a lot of ways. Dooming a large % of 300 million to chronic health issues is definitely more humane than a couple thousand potentially dieing, yes, I agree :v:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

it will also kill chud grandmas

the truth is in the middle,,,,

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
just ban chipndip lazy rear end mods

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ChipNDip posted:

How many additional deaths will happen if people visit others on a limited basis, but do not visit the old and vulnerable? What is the magic that transmits the virus?

We do know that being a hermit indefinitely is very, very bad for your health in a lot of ways. Dooming a large % of 300 million to chronic health issues is definitely more humane than a couple thousand potentially dieing, yes, I agree :v:

"a couple thousand"

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

A couple thousand is less than several million dying early of chronic health conditions, yes.

WarEternal posted:

2: You can already do this. I hung out with a group of friends the other day. Guess what, we've all been in quarantine with no outside contact so it's 100% safe to do so!
LMAO, that's not what people are saying ITT. Way to move the loving goal posts. If that were the case, I would not be sperging out.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ChipNDip posted:

It is not acceptable to visit friends home. If your friends get it from you and they also make the decision to visit people oh look you've now infected a household you didn't even visit.

You can still buy seeds even in a state that's locked down. Even in those very states that are protesting!

How many dead people is okay if it means you get to visit your friends house?

Give me a number coward

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

ChipNDip posted:

incredible math here

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ChipNDip posted:

LMAO, that's not what people are saying ITT. Way to move the loving goal posts. If that were the case, I would not be sperging out.

take a deep loving breath and zoom your girlfriend or something so you stop pounding your head against the drywall

it'll be fine. you'll adjust.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ChipNDip posted:

I think even Trump has stopped claiming that depression will kill more people than coronavirus.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

should I be buying seeds?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ChipNDip posted:

I suggest talking to a therapist to see what coping mechanisms they can help you with during this trying time for you.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We have dropped the intel ball so badly here we have no idea if this thing will kill 200,000 or 50,000,000 and therein lies the problem, we don't know poo poo about this virus, how many people ever develop symptoms, how to treat severe cases, how contagious it is, how it spreads, how it kills people, where it came from or when, how many people have it, how many people have recovered, what immunity looks like, we don't know poo poo so stay inside and wait for the virus ppl to figure the drat thing out

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Mr. Pizza posted:

should I be buying seeds?

beans are seeds

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

shovelbum posted:

We have dropped the intel ball so badly here we have no idea if this thing will kill 200,000 or 50,000,000 and therein lies the problem, we don't know poo poo about this virus, how many people ever develop symptoms, how to treat severe cases, how contagious it is, how it spreads, how it kills people, where it came from or when, how many people have it, how many people have recovered, what immunity looks like, we don't know poo poo so stay inside and wait for the virus ppl to figure the drat thing out

we definitely know it won't kill 50,000,000 people dude.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

shovelbum posted:

Yeah, so we should all just stay at home indefinitely and definitely develop mental illness indefinitely. Massive brain conlcusion.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm still frankly shocked about how stupid this is

I recommended a mask seller upthread and I decided to test it out and cut it up to actually see if its legit. So it passed the lil test everybody says but they actually lied about being 5 ply kn95 lol. It's a 4 ply. See now the thing is 4ply was the number i saw when buying from chinese sellers so they upsold it for the american branded one for no reason and made people more paranoid in the process despite it being legit lmfao.

China keeps winning :smugdon:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

a lot of americans are enduring the first period of actual material hardship in their lives and going real nutso

same stuff happened in 2008, and americans just committed suicide about it

this one they have a more readily visible scapegoat for the failure of capitalism

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

Innocuous posted:

incredible math here

Several million suffering for years and dying is more than a couple thousand, yes.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

is this because today has a lower Number than usual and people think we're at the peak again?

Weird how that keeps happening on Sunday

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

shovelbum posted:

It appears that your brand of stupid is not canceling out ChipnDips.

No idea if we should increase the stupidity so I propose we admit you both into control groups where you don't post for a period of three months then we'll see what thread immunity is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

made some black beans the other day with rice and canned salmon, punched it up with goya seasoning, v. good

who else ITT is enjoying the nutritious benefits of beans in these troubled times