Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I probably won't ever stop wearing a mask in public stores. It feels comfy. And if it protects others more than me, that's just fine.

Sometimes I wonder how many people I might have accidentally killed just by going out and doing things while sick before this pandemic. Kind of a sobering thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also think a second peak will happen and they cancel the election and everybody will just let that happen too

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bullfrog posted:

Sometimes I wonder how many people I might have accidentally killed just by going out and doing things while sick before this pandemic. Kind of a sobering thought

:theroni:

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

facetoucher cat posted:

My cat is America

o7

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shovelbum posted:

I do think all the LIFE WILL NEVER RETURN TO NORMAL stuff is pretty overblown though, like at some point if there is zero progress everyone is just going to go outside and spread the disease around and do you know, human stuff. It's the worst way to handle it but it may be what we're on track for in TRUMPS AMERICA

Even still there are local businesses that are already not coming back because the damage has already been done, regardless of how long this continues; that'll only grow

Unemployment ain't magically getting fixed with a Turn On button either

The dozens of thousands already dead here won't come back to life

None of that means we won't call it "normal" to cope, of course. If this country's proven it's exceptional at anything, it's not acknowledging a problem's a problem until it's too late to really solve it

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think people underestimate how pogrom-ready the right is and just how little will be done to stop it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this is a classic and its a shame that we cant even appreciate trump moments for more than like an hour before theyre buried now

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
i hope ur cat isnt allergic to its own butthole

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Whoever bought this: thank you

:theroni:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Salmonella James
Oct 1, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The George W Bush Presidential library features a room that's a 9/11 response simulator where 9/11 happens and you have to choose how to respond to this crisis and if you pick anything other than "Invade Afghanistan and Iraq" Bush comes on the screen to explain to you why you're wrong.

I cannot wait for the Trump library.

This is only a slight exaggeration

"Critical Decisions - Play the role of President and dive into the decision-making process in our interactive Decision Points Theater. Hear from presidential advisers and voice how you would act as President when faced with major crises.In this theater, visitors choose from one of four scenarios: the invasion of Iraq, the “surge” in Iraq, the financial crisis, and Hurricane Katrina. Guests may act as the president and make decisions based on conflicting advice from a wide range of sources. This exercise allows the Library to present the debates on major events in the Bush Administration and to show how all leaders must make decisions based on the information they have in hand."

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

etalian posted:

It took a few years for people to mentally adjust after the 1918 pandemic and start socializing again.

And businesses and restaurants and social circles aren't really places, they're social constructs that only exist because we believe they do and they're a part of our routines. If a restaurant stops having staff and customers it stops existing, and that has a shock up the supply chain that will make creating a replacement difficult even once the financial incentive returns.

I certainly don't believe we'll actually learn anything and will insist on the world being the way it was before all this especially including the lovely things, but it doesn't change that the world they want to return to is already gone and rebuilding will take several years at minimum.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brazil is the future of the USA

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

"How long until I can go back to the life I had?"

You can never go back, dear idiot. There's nowhere to go back to. The life you thought you had built actually involved thousands of other people to enable it, and those thousands of other people are hiding from the global pandemic to avoid being added to its death tally. Once everyone slowly returns all the old societal structures - businesses, careers, infrastructure - will be in poor shape or gone and the rebuilding will take years.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

yup

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

CAN I SEE SOME IDENTIFICATION? CAN I SEE SOME IDENTIFICATION? WHY AREN'T YOU AT WORK RIGHT NOW?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think people underestimate how pogrom-ready the right is and just how little will be done to stop it

otoh it took a massively astroturfed movement for these obese freaks to show up and halfheartedly wave signs out of their cars while wearing masks before they zoom off to their second homes

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Things will eventually go back to normal in the worst way possible.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

don't know what they're all so mad about, he's just standing there, it's not like it impacts anyone else in any way

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

I also think a second peak will happen and they cancel the election and everybody will just let that happen too

rn i've got about 50-50 odds between the election being outright canceled (they will call it temporarily suspended or something) vs trump just letting it happen and leaving the states to figure out how to do it themselves, like w/ the primaries

and if the election is canceled, well, if anything is gonna trigger balkanization, that would be it. west coast states would go first.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Karen

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

when you turn the economy switch on, people are forced to congregate in public spaces

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

endlessmonotony posted:

Having had a lot of angry outbursts, lemme share a secret. Well, it's not as much a secret as it's the blatantly obvious truth, but it might as well be a secret given how much people try to avoid getting it.

You can't beat a disease by getting angry and refusing to believe it's happening.

I went through a serious problem about 4 years ago with my mental health and didn't even step outside for almost 5 months and when I did I couldn't go in "public" alone. I still have a lot of issues. I'm treating this social distancing like that but with a better understanding of myself. My own brain tells me I can't do things so I'm not going to argue with a deadly virus, I know my limits, sadly some people don't have the same awareness

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

pancake rabbit posted:

rn i've got about 50-50 odds between the election being outright canceled (they will call it temporarily suspended or something) vs trump just letting it happen and leaving the states to figure out how to do it themselves, like w/ the primaries

and if the election is canceled, well, if anything is gonna trigger balkanization, that would be it. west coast states would go first.

california would absolutely be the first to leave if there's any sign of fuckery that doesn't favor democrats, and once california leaves, the dominoes start falling

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

seattle plague rat posted:

i hope ur cat isnt allergic to its own butthole

I think it gives him life force, he's allergic to pollen tho

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Seeing how everything has played out during the pandemic has got me real pumped for the climate collapse

The covid era will look like an enlightened age of reason and mercy in comparison

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Apr 20, 2020

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Flesh Forge posted:

or as I like to call it, LOST PHAGES :buddy:

that's very good

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

otoh it took a massively astroturfed movement for these obese freaks to show up and halfheartedly wave signs out of their cars while wearing masks before they zoom off to their second homes

That doesn’t mean they won’t be ready under future circumstances like a union breakup or if a Governor gets successfully deposed in a chaotic situation

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

facetoucher cat posted:

I think it gives him life force, he's allergic to pollen tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMXPq1gifJ0

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

I didn't save the link unfortunately but I saw a post yesterday that quoted some writings of an ideologue who worked with the Kochs that specifically mentioned that turning America into Mexico/Brazil was the goal and they expected favelas to develop here

Anyone else see that?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

It's like this, yes

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Eric teump

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

turd in my singlet posted:

I didn't save the link unfortunately but I saw a post yesterday that quoted some writings of an ideologue who worked with the Kochs that specifically mentioned that turning America into Mexico/Brazil was the goal and they expected favelas to develop here

Anyone else see that?

no but i would be very interested in seeing it as well

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

facetoucher cat posted:

My cat is America

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

That doesn’t mean they won’t be ready under future circumstances like a union breakup or if a Governor gets successfully deposed in a chaotic situation

the paramilitary equivalent would be cops imo

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah or the mother loving cops

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

optics, or the realization when it is You Who Looks Like The Bad Guy

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Over Easy posted:

Seeing how everything has played out during the pandemic has got me real pumped for the climate collapse

The covid era will be look like an enlightened age of reason and mercy in comparison

It really has put things in perspective for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

o7