Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver just did an entire episode about how Fox News and other right wing media are directly affecting Trump's response to the pandemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWoc8yF5BI0

He also went over the issue where the science has now become politicized, and if you take a certain view on the scientific advice that's being interpreted in some quarters as being "anti-Trump"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

We may see 100k, especially with states opening up already.

Millions? Yes if the news didn't make everyone freak the gently caress out.

We're not even at the start

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Not anymore. I have two gas masks though with maybe 5 filters but I'm sure those filters are far beyond the expiration date.

My shemagh is too big for that. I'd have to get a bandanna and if I were doing that then I'd just like to get a premade mask.

edit:

These Vogmasks are really cool but their entire online store is shut down due to orders.

These are what I got, with some replacable filters, but ordered them 2 months ago and, only managed to snag 2, and my stupid mother took one

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

yeah, there will be a deadly covid every year pretty much, if the new sars covids are at all similar to other coronaviruses in immunity being temporary

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bort posted:

That's a little too easy. The left leaning publications have histrionic, emotion tugging fear mongering that opens itself up to attack, too. It’s not science's fault, but the left leaning publications “stand for science”, and a minimal medical impact juxtaposed with an extended economic impact will end up laid at their feet.

Edit: I don’t have solutions, just more problems. I'll shut up and go to sleep. Wear masks, wash hands and stay home. Be ready to fight when the right starts blaming the new depression on the ivory tower science nerds. I guess that's my point.

They were always going to do that anyway regardless of the outcome because that's their business model, you're getting yourself worked up over eventualities that we can't avoid

Edit: Trump has already made a huge number of statements about COVID-19 that were provably, irrefutably, undeniably incorrect (15 US cases but then it'll drop to zero and it'll be done, LOL) but people immediately forgot and are still listening to him

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 20, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, there will be a deadly covid every year pretty much, if the new sars covids are at all similar to other coronaviruses in immunity being temporary

Yeah and it does lingering damage so I can't imagine most people making it through more than a few years

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: Trump has already made a huge number of statements about COVID-19 that were provably, irrefutably, undeniably incorrect (15 US cases but then it'll drop to zero and it'll be done, LOL) but people immediately forgot and are still listening to him

Doublethink is real and has been real since monkeys picked up rocks.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver just did an entire episode about how Fox News and other right wing media are directly affecting Trump's response to the pandemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9W2x3J9w30

He also went over the issue where the science has now become politicized, and if you take a certain view on the scientific advice that's being interpreted in some quarters as being "anti-Trump"

Your video restarts 2/3 of the way through, but aside from that it's p good.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

Supreme Allah posted:

These are what I got, with some replacable filters, but ordered them 2 months ago and, only managed to snag 2, and my stupid mother took one

drat, you got owned by your stupid mother.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imagine being quarantined with your parents.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Cake or death?

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WsuaYh_hkg

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

shovelbum posted:

Yep :f5h::(:hf::(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Plastik posted:

Your video restarts 2/3 of the way through, but aside from that it's p good.

Ah poo poo, sorry. I edited in a different link with the full episode.

The main segment ends at 20 minutes and then he goes onto related stuff so you probably didn't miss much of the crucial stuff anyway

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Celebrities and sports people are already starting to talk about their worries about the coronavirus vaccine (even though it might still be a year to 18 months away). Top ranked men's tennis player Novak Djokovic has said that he's opposed to a vaccine and if they make it compulsory for players to take the vaccine before they're allowed to play in tournaments again he would have to make a "difficult decision".
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/novak-djokovic-opposes-coronavirus-vaccination-20200420-p54lbz.html

Oh thanks, that's super useful.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Celebrities and sports people are already starting to talk about their worries about the coronavirus vaccine (even though it might still be a year to 18 months away). Top ranked men's tennis player Novak Djokovic has said that he's opposed to a vaccine and if they make it compulsory for players to take the vaccine before they're allowed to play in tournaments again he would have to make a "difficult decision".
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/novak-djokovic-opposes-coronavirus-vaccination-20200420-p54lbz.html

Cool, just sign that waiver and stay home, bitch

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWoc8yF5BI0

drat I did not know the full details of the start of Trump going all in on HCL and this is far more damning than I even thought

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

I am. Well, I’m on their property, and am shopping for them. We get along really well. And they have a big yard. And I have a garage apartment, so it works out. They also live right next to a bunch of trails that lead into open space, so I’m getting to hike plenty.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Personally I think you'd have to be mad or have some significant Covid risk factors to be lining up to take the first batch of vaccines. There's enough fuckups with drugs when there isn't massive time pressure, and the commercial incentive to get something approved has probably never been higher for any drug in the history of modern medicine. I hate to think what complications are being handwaved away or deliberately under reported in trials.

This isn't coming from some addled anti-vaxxer concerned about autism or whatever, I happily get flu shots yearly and booster shots of various things before travelling etc. I'd just rather stay inside for 6 months rather than risk lifelong immune complications from some rushed vaccine.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Hopefully part of that is the fear that a vaccine will be rushed out without being properly tested. My trust in the CDC/FDA has never been lower, I'd be reluctant to get a vaccine right away unless it has been verified safe by independent academic institutions and multiple public health agencies outside of the US.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Personally I think you'd have to be mad or have some significant Covid risk factors to be lining up to take the first batch of vaccines. There's enough fuckups with drugs when there isn't massive time pressure, and the commercial incentive to get something approved has probably never been higher for any drug in the history of modern medicine. I hate to think what complications are being handwaved away or deliberately under reported in trials.

This isn't coming from some addled anti-vaxxer concerned about autism or whatever, I happily get flu shots yearly and booster shots of various things before travelling etc. I'd just rather stay inside for 6 months rather than risk lifelong immune complications from some rushed vaccine.

Yeah same, I do have all manners of vaccinations, and have no reservations whatsoever normally but I am not a big fan of rushing to get some some hurriedly cobbled together vaccine before it has been tested and proven safe. There is a reason development takes 4+ years normally.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Love to have allergy season turning me into a sneezing mess for a half hour every morning at the moment. When I do unfortunately have to leave the house I'm praying I don't sneeze and get beat up by an angry mob

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheres the pun

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Cool country

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/social-distancing-may-be-needed-until-2022-harvard-study-doc-1ql5bc3

Apparently we may have to keep social distancing until at least 2022 just to keep the hospitals from becoming overwhelmed if this Harvard study proves to be true.

I...don't see some states taking this lightly here in the US. People can't even handle the less than 60 days we've been doing it now. 2 years would be catastrophic for them. And for the world's economy.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this guy is DYING for a legal way to retire and break his actual gameday contracts

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

haha holy poo poo

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/social-distancing-may-be-needed-until-2022-harvard-study-doc-1ql5bc3

Apparently we may have to keep social distancing until at least 2022 just to keep the hospitals from becoming overwhelmed if this Harvard study proves to be true.

I...don't see some states taking this lightly here in the US. People can't even handle the less than 60 days we've been doing it now. 2 years would be catastrophic for them. And for the world's economy.

every single instance of outbreak in history suggests not only will we be socially distancing until 2022, we'll be doing it again in 2024-25, 2030, and then once more in 2045

why we think this time will be any different, i have no loving idea

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

"but this time will be different"

said the fool; said the utter complete moron

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its pretty loving weird that Polybius (ca 200 – ca 118 BCE) said "history repeats itself"

and yet here we are 2000 years later thinking "nah, it doesnt"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

oh ya its because 50% of people dont even think critically [about things like that]

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

naem posted:

if I buy frozen microwave meals packed in cardboard, and put them in the freezer and don’t touch them for three days, washing my hands after, probably ok to take out days later and microwave (right?)

I wouldn't.

If you need to buy cardboard-only frozen meals, I'd suggest giving them a solid scrub with soapy water (it works about as well on inanimate objects as it does on human skin) first. You don't have to soak the cardboard, just make sure a fair amount of soapy suds make their way over the whole surface, that's the important part in killin' the virus' lipids, then a quick rinse to wash the soap off, and you can dry it off with a paper towel or something.

If you have proper disinfecting wipes or something, you can use that instead.

If you have cardboard meals with plastic bags containing the actual food inside the exterior cardboard box, you can just take the interior packaging out of the exterior (just dump it out without touching it in the process), then put the interior packaging in the freezer (handy for pizzas and so forth).

Freezing something with the 'roni on the outer surface won't seem to do anything to get rid of it, as far as we can tell. The SARs family loves cold temperatures. Important to know for the coming warm seasons, particularly pertaining to frozen treats (ideally, the safest sort would be individually wrapped treats packaged into an exterior box that you can pull off the 'dump out of the box' method with, since no human hands have touched those interior wrapped items, generally).

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I wouldn't.

If you need to buy cardboard-only frozen meals, I'd suggest giving them a solid scrub with soapy water (it works about as well on inanimate objects as it does on human skin) first. You don't have to soak the cardboard, just make sure a fair amount of soapy suds make their way over the whole surface, that's the important part in killin' the virus' lipids, then a quick rinse to wash the soap off, and you can dry it off with a paper towel or something.

If you have proper disinfecting wipes or something, you can use that instead.

If you have cardboard meals with plastic bags containing the actual food inside the exterior cardboard box, you can just take the interior packaging out of the exterior (just dump it out without touching it in the process), then put the interior packaging in the freezer (handy for pizzas and so forth).

Freezing something with the 'roni on the outer surface won't seem to do anything to get rid of it, as far as we can tell. The SARs family loves cold temperatures. Important to know for the coming warm seasons, particularly pertaining to frozen treats (ideally, the safest sort would be individually wrapped treats packaged into an exterior box that you can pull off the 'dump out of the box' method with, since no human hands have touched those interior wrapped items, generally).

Don't just splash some soapy water on it; wipe it down with bleach or alcohol if you have it. The study that looked at the temperature ranges necessary to kill coronavirus also looked at various cleaning agents, and found that basically all of the standard stuff works immediately but when they used soapy water they had to soak their samples for ~5 minutes before they could no longer detect viable viruses. It's possible that splashing soapy water on a surface is enough to bring the viral load below whatever threshold is necessary to infect a person, but there's no reason to take that chance.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I give a little bleach swipe to most stuff from the grocery store.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

found that basically all of the standard stuff works immediately but when they used soapy water they had to soak their samples for ~5 minutes before they could no longer detect viable viruses.

does this mean that alcohol based hand sanitizer works better on your hands than washing with soap and water? I remember hearing a bunch of stuff from the news about how washing your hands is the best way to kill it, and hand sanitizer should only be relied on if you can't wash your hands. it kinda reminded me of the whole "only doctors/nurses need masks" thing you heard everywhere from a month ago, so I've been doing both (washing then sanitizing) because my megacorp sent me two cases of germ-x as a consolation prize for having to work during the plague

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't soap physically gently caress up the roni by disrupting something something science ?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Yeah it breaks down the virus membrane
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/deadly-viruses-are-no-match-for-plain-old-soap-heres-the-science-behind-it-2020-03-08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

should i be eating soap?