Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015

Ninogan posted:

Have the same issue, small & special snowflake stuff. My regular group are frail gamers and the 1 week offline + wipe made them all quit and go back to darkfall/rust/csgo so rip :smith:

Stormgale is correct about it playing really well (like impressively well) on NA East, the ping really isn't an issue in fights but the low fps when fighting lots of people and especially near our base is a bitch. So if any EU goons are on the fence about playing with higher ping then don't worry, this is like the most manageable i've seen in any pvp game. I'll stick with the NA group for now since the only other choice seems to be finding some non goon EU group and then I'd rather stick with it and hope for good fights on weekends at least.

Darkfall? How is that poo poo still alive. Convince your mans to come back with the next update or something, it would be fun to have a dedicated EU group going somewhere else than NA locations with major lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
If you like Eve online but want more fun combat, this game's good. If you just want to play SimBase, this game is good. If you want to spiderman slingshot through trees, this game is good.

If you like griefing people by abusing weird buggy early-access stuff, this game is good.

Thoroughly enjoying it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

This thread is quiet mainly because we're all having a great time killing each other daily in massive battles. Pretty sure we had like 50 goons on discord at some point today. Game is extremely good, get in

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

SoJ57261 posted:

Darkfall? How is that poo poo still alive. Convince your mans to come back with the next update or something, it would be fun to have a dedicated EU group going somewhere else than NA locations with major lag.

It's alive because it's the best full loot pvp mmo duh. I'll try and I really want to get them in here because as it is right now I've lost my motivation to login simply because everything fun happens when I'm sleeping :smith:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
It doesn't have to- I think right now we'd benefit from some supply chain disruption of our enemies during the "off" hours.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Have Some Flowers! posted:

If you like Eve online but want more fun combat, this game's good. If you just want to play SimBase, this game is good. If you want to spiderman slingshot through trees, this game is good.

If you like griefing people by abusing weird buggy early-access stuff, this game is good.

Thoroughly enjoying it.

One place this isn't an improvement on EVE is solo piracy. In that game, you could fly something small and lovely, and steal everything from a player in something big and lovely. You can in theory do that here, but all the respawn options make it more challenging. Breaking chests take time, and breaking open walkers take even longer. It's not a one-and-done fight.

You can get lucky, finding someone's base while they aren't around though. Even the smallest walkers can break into them with scattershots.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

One place this isn't an improvement on EVE is solo piracy. In that game, you could fly something small and lovely, and steal everything from a player in something big and lovely. You can in theory do that here, but all the respawn options make it more challenging. Breaking chests take time, and breaking open walkers take even longer. It's not a one-and-done fight.

You can get lucky, finding someone's base while they aren't around though. Even the smallest walkers can break into them with scattershots.

Solo naked guy is a menace when making tablets. they can steal everything and you can't really hurt them.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/903950/view/3337673184042639448

quote:

In addition to fighting players that use cheats, we'd like to announce that if we find a clan that has cheaters in their group, the clan will be wiped together with all of their belongings. This also extends to sibling clans - no, putting all your cheaters in a different clan won't help you. If your clan profits from having a cheater, even if it's just one player, the unfair advantage over the clans that play by the rules will be quickly equalized.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

That is a rather strong stance. Queue subterfuge where players get into clans on alt accounts for the pure intent of running cheats to get a clan deleted.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

BadLlama posted:

That is a rather strong stance. Queue subterfuge where players get into clans on alt accounts for the pure intent of running cheats to get a clan deleted.

Doesn't even have to be that, some jackass running esp and keeping it secret isn't a new thing. Destiny 2 had a goon who was very proud of his pvp stats in discord - till he posted a screenshot with ESP outlines still on the scoreboard. He was promptly reported by goons and kicked...but until then nobody really knew he was a cheater.

Guilty by association isn't going to work well....

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

This should turn into some pretty good thread content in a week or two, one way or another.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Thoroughly enjoying it.

What if I have an extremely inconsistent works/play schedule and therefore prefer to play solo?

I heard there was supposed to be an update to make solo play less poo poo. Is it less poo poo yet?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If you prefer playing entirely solo I do not recommend this game

If you prefer playing by yourself in a clan I do recommend this game

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
If all you ever do is run around alone your experience will be monkey murder and tree chopping for hours then a big gang guys roll by and steal it all. Playing mostly alone in a clan isn’t as bad because you can use their good tools and/or stockpile to jump start your solo adventures and then you can actually contribute.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Solo folks are also super helpful if they're willing to pool resources in a larger supply chain, or even just spread info while running around fragment hunting. Spotting targets is a huge part of this game even if you don't want to be in a brawl.

It's a fun game to just run around and build sandbox projects, but in its current state all the other nerds in the game provide the spice of content the game needs.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I'm real excited to play this for some reason, got it last night and once I have time later I'll be actually playing the game jumping in the discord

as someone who liked dark souls and never played M&B, how disappointed will I be in this melee combat? the fact you still seem to need to do directional blocks and attacks looks like it'll be interesting, especially that chambering thing

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's facially similar to dark souls, but the lack of dodge roll gives it a radically different feel; fights are less squirrely. Blocking is easier than parrying in dark souls, but far more important. You have more stamina, but its harder to recover. Combat terrain is massively important, since its super easy to keep hitting walls with too large a weapon. Friendly fire is a constant problem; even the NPCs can hit eachother.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
The friendly fire with npcs is nice and let’s me clear whole camps in one pull pretty consistently.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

FileNotFound posted:

Doesn't even have to be that, some jackass running esp and keeping it secret isn't a new thing. Destiny 2 had a goon who was very proud of his pvp stats in discord - till he posted a screenshot with ESP outlines still on the scoreboard. He was promptly reported by goons and kicked...but until then nobody really knew he was a cheater.

Guilty by association isn't going to work well....

People don't cheat subtly in survival MMOs. In Atlas, cheaters could teleport to the center of your fort, ignore clan locks to open all your loot boxes, and dump the entire contents of your guild vault to despawn on the floor. Or aggressively aimbotting and consistently sniping targets that literally cannot be seen, deep underwater. Or the bullshit people are doing so far in LO with cheating their way under the terrain mesh to do stupid bullshit.

I'd love to play a survival MMO where subtle esp hacking is what gets people talking, because it'd mean all the blatant stuff is under control.

smertrioslol posted:

The friendly fire with npcs is nice and let’s me clear whole camps in one pull pretty consistently.

Ooohh do tell, I tend to get beaten to death on the way through if I try to sprint through a camp.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Just hold attack to charge a power hit, and don't let go. The rupus will either charge a power attack of their own or block. You can walk through the base to pull all of them into a pile then chop them down.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Someone please come hold my hand in the discord

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Magres posted:

Ooohh do tell, I tend to get beaten to death on the way through if I try to sprint through a camp.

Aggro a pile, ensure that they're all on top of each other, and just block the lead guy's attacks while the rest beat each other to death trying to hit you. Make sure they're in a line, cause if they spread out horizontally it'll be impossible to block everything.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

could not resist, game is too fun, ingame as Bazomatic, parked outside the current base, will try to get an invite tomorrow

need to farm me some more shaman so I can get rope for dinghy boost and then rushing me a stiletto :black101:

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.
After playing for a while, I can tell you now this game is like the devs looked at Atlas and asked themselves, "How can we make a game this fun, but without all the bullshit like five different vitamins and ships that take days to build but sink in minutes?"

Or like someone looked at Eve and asked, "How can we make a game with the same political intrigue and salt, but without playing like an Excel spreadsheet?"

Also in classic Goon fashion we've already made so many enemies that when people show up in our tile trying to get revenge on us we have to ask who they are first.

Lycaeon fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 22, 2020

Scippy
Dec 31, 2012
https://streamable.com/3n2pes

Clip from the firefly op this weekend, we essentially made up a rifter doctrine and it was tons of fun.

Scippy fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 22, 2020

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Tempora Mutantur posted:

could not resist, game is too fun, ingame as Bazomatic, parked outside the current base, will try to get an invite tomorrow

need to farm me some more shaman so I can get rope for dinghy boost and then rushing me a stiletto :black101:

To anyone else thinking of rolling up to goon base and parking a non-clan walker: this is a very bad idea.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chinese clans attack our oasis every night in quite large numbers. The only thing which works is throwing down an insane amount of gas to split their forces and murder them in small groups. Felt kinda bad because they had a quality 58 (or something) stiletto and i was guarding it as we were burning it and 2 naked people kept coming up and trying to get us to stop, but it was the same stiletto which attacked us yesterday so you gotta do what you gotta do.

I love how big weapons are basically crap on the walker decks. I was fighting 3 people and i had a one-handed weapon and they all just kept hitting the walls trying to do 2 handed attacks on me. It was rad.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think the swordstaff might work for deck fights because the overhand attack is a thrust, which seems like it'd be hard to parry and doesn't have to worry so much about hitting walls

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
More Goon shenanigans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN268e-vdoU

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 25, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Magres posted:

I think the swordstaff might work for deck fights because the overhand attack is a thrust, which seems like it'd be hard to parry and doesn't have to worry so much about hitting walls

I had this theory, but I found it hard to get off the thrust attack while panicking, or lagging, or w/e. Eventually just switched to the hand axe. Also, if the other guy knows what you're doing, they'll just block it consistently.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

This thread, and some of the videos are what made me and my buddies download this game. We'll be joining up with yall shortly. Looking through this, a lot of you I remember from Atlas....

Equate fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 24, 2020

Dracor
Jul 28, 2010
I'm in this game with about 10 others, very cool so far. I'm the only goon in the squad, but we are House Guillotine. More than willing to be friendly/work together. Nomad power!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dracor posted:

I'm in this game with about 10 others, very cool so far. I'm the only goon in the squad, but we are House Guillotine. More than willing to be friendly/work together. Nomad power!

American or EU? we have about 5-6 clans working together on my server. It's a nice alternative to being in one massive group.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I had this theory, but I found it hard to get off the thrust attack while panicking, or lagging, or w/e. Eventually just switched to the hand axe. Also, if the other guy knows what you're doing, they'll just block it consistently.

I've been owned by the stab in friendly duels as my brain takes a slight moment to recognise it as an overhead attack but it's always been a bit awkward in field combat.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Re:swordstaff, a quick overhead is a normal swing down, the charged overhead is what turns it into a stab. Adds a lot of flexibility and looks cool.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
In another episode of Swayze's Crazies... Goon Wing Ops...

We have been constantly fighting this group of pubbies called Fist of the Empire, and pretty much every night we collect buckets of salts and tears from all of them. We want more goons to join us for shenanigans and fun expeditions on behalf of the demise of these pubbies.

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 25, 2020

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Any Aussies playing?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Fist of the Empire... this is a long shot, but do they have red sails with a bicep on them? I'm pretty sure the group that killed me and my buddies on launch day was called Fist of the Empire

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Fist of the Empire... this is a long shot, but do they have red sails with a bicep on them? I'm pretty sure the group that killed me and my buddies on launch day was called Fist of the Empire

Probably. They're a big bureaucratic group that fails to protect their vassals and already caused one to fracture because of that. We went at them with about 10 throwaway fireflies once just to gently caress with them and it took them about an hour to respond to it with their entire army. They killed two fireflies and a dingy and acted like they'd destroyed our entire military force.

Yesterday we dunked on them while they were in the middle of setting up their new base and made off with a fuckload of loot. They were swarmed by valiant and brave goons destroying their ships and gassing the everliving poo poo out of them. Then they completely abandoned the tile.

tl;dr; :argh: goons

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
They also tried to proxy Groon's home tile three times despite having no presence in our zone. We burned down all of them while stealing all the taxes, and the night Goons dunked them in fireflies we were commando raiding their public infrastructure and pulling the crab to their excavator bases.

They have the loving best local chat when they get wound up, and any amount of hardship winds them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

yeah, that's them... are you playing with us?