Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

hemale in pain posted:

should i be eating soap?

More than the usual amount you do? Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

GolfHole posted:

oh ya its because 50% of people dont even think critically [about things like that]

It almost feels like 50% of people today are probably too stupid for qualify for "Project 100,000". The sheer pride in being ignorant/stupid is absolutely mind-boggling, and what's even worse is that they gladly self-own out of spite, even when they know that others (even people they care about) could be hurt or even killed. It's like Idiocracy except worse, since the people in that movie were just stupid, they weren't actively evil and preaching hatred like today's idiots are.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are there any documented cases where surface transmission caused Covid-19? Washing your frozen dinners with soap/whatever seems...a bit excessive.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Meanwhile, around Chernobyl:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
How did I miss this ? :psyboom:

https://twitter.com/TPMLiveWire/status/1250408758326501377?s=20

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

does this mean that alcohol based hand sanitizer works better on your hands than washing with soap and water? I remember hearing a bunch of stuff from the news about how washing your hands is the best way to kill it, and hand sanitizer should only be relied on if you can't wash your hands. it kinda reminded me of the whole "only doctors/nurses need masks" thing you heard everywhere from a month ago, so I've been doing both (washing then sanitizing) because my megacorp sent me two cases of germ-x as a consolation prize for having to work during the plague

Hand sanitizer is “better” in that it’s easier for laypeople to sanitize their hands with it. More forgiving. It's just as effective as soap and water for nearly all pathogens.

Soap n water is recommended when your hands are visibly soiled, otherwise hand Sanitizer is fine. Perfect is the enemy of good, remember

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

Are there any documented cases where surface transmission caused Covid-19? Washing your frozen dinners with soap/whatever seems...a bit excessive.

Haha i asked the same thing. Some folks like the peace of mind I guess

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GolfHole posted:

every single instance of outbreak in history suggests not only will we be socially distancing until 2022, we'll be doing it again in 2024-25, 2030, and then once more in 2045

why we think this time will be any different, i have no loving idea

Sars1, MERS, Ebola didn't follow this pattern in the slightest idk why you're making predictions 25 years in the future as if you have any idea

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ah ha ha ha, I was joking about that ITT about 300 pages ago, it's hosed up that someone would think it for real

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I can't even remember ever hearing about COVID's 1 through 18 so they must have been pretty mild!!

CountDrac
Jan 19, 2006

I knew it!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Sars1, MERS, Ebola didn't follow this pattern in the slightest idk why you're making predictions 25 years in the future as if you have any idea

Weeeeeeeeeeell that depends on what you mean by "this pattern". We've been having ebola outbreaks for 44 years now, although I guess we didn't have a widespread "Oh gently caress" globe-spanning outbreak until 2013-6 . The 2018 outbreak was also pretty lovely and is still not officially over.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ebola_outbreaks

It's not the exact pattern that GolfHole laid out but there's definitely been re-occurring outbreaks for more than 25 years, the fucker just won't go away.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Personally I think you'd have to be mad or have some significant Covid risk factors to be lining up to take the first batch of vaccines. There's enough fuckups with drugs when there isn't massive time pressure, and the commercial incentive to get something approved has probably never been higher for any drug in the history of modern medicine. I hate to think what complications are being handwaved away or deliberately under reported in trials.

This isn't coming from some addled anti-vaxxer concerned about autism or whatever, I happily get flu shots yearly and booster shots of various things before travelling etc. I'd just rather stay inside for 6 months rather than risk lifelong immune complications from some rushed vaccine.

FYI - my entire job is ensuring that side effects, or adverse drug reactions get reported correctly. There are an army of people working on these vaccine trials (and on all drug/device trials in general) and we are all on the lookout for side effects and ensure that they are reported properly.

Your faith in the FDA may be shaken, but the people who are monitoring these trials don’t work for the FDA. The FDA has oversight over the entire process, but ultimately, the maker of the drug has the responsibility to ensure that safety is handled properly.

I’m not going to educate the thread on the phases of clinical trials, but I can guarantee you that any adverse reactions that happen to subjects IN A TRIAL are properly reported. In a given trial there may be thousands of people who get the vaccine/drug and any adverse reactions are absolutely known and published as well as spread to the doctors who would be providing it.

The issue with vaccines and really any new drug is when you go from giving it to thousands of people in a controlled trial to when it is approved and you give it to millions. There may be a 1/10,000 (or higher) chance of some rare reaction not known until this point. Often there are additional trials (phase IV or post-marketing trials) which are looking to see if specific issues pop up.

You don’t need to worry, with the amount of people involved, on these and every drug or device trial there is absolutely no way of “hiding” or “missing” reports of an adverse reaction DURING THE TRIAL.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Lol at believing "you don't need to worry" in 2020.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Yeah "trust me" doesn't really cut it anymore. If I had the resources to hide for a year while the early adopters try the thing I'd do it.

e:

Cacafuego posted:

the maker of the drug has the responsibility to ensure that safety is handled properly.
Is this reassuring ?

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 20, 2020

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the masses being asses is largely because vicious capitalism and rent slavery doesn't allow for a person to just sit and take ten. nobody has anytime to think.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

You don’t need to worry about unreported adverse reactions in clinical trials. Everything else, you should probably worry about.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Yeah "trust me" doesn't really cut it anymore. If I had the resources to hide for a year while the early adopters try the thing I'd do it.

e:

Is this reassuring ?

That’s the official wording. My reassurances on this, a dead, gay comedy forum are not going to convince anyone I’m sure. However, to give you at least a basic idea of the oversight and how it works - pharma company has drug in trials, most of the time, they pay for another company (like mine) to monitor them. Anyone working on the trial has to provide documentation that they don’t have financial interests in the drug company. I don’t care whether or not a drug fails, and I’m a nurse, so you bet your rear end I don’t want my name associated with missing or hiding adverse reactions. I don’t get a bonus or anything if the drug is approved, so it doesn’t matter to me whether a drug has tons of adverse reactions or none, I report what is documented by the patient/doctor at the site.

Occasionally the pharma company will monitor our monitoring, which is often more frequent when the drug is getting closer to market. At this point, the FDA then monitors all of the above, especially at places that they deem to be possible risks (high enrollers, many adverse events, places with no adverse events if others do have them, etc).

I’m not telling you to worry at all, I’m telling you that the information provided to the public when any drug/vaccine goes to market is absolutely what is known at the time. Nobody is hiding anything. There may be additional issues/adverse reactions that aren’t known then that become obvious within the few years after the drug is approved and they often get pulled from the market. That can be a valid concern. Celebrex and Vioxx are two of the bigger ones that I remember.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 20, 2020

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
The audacity of trusting a multimillionaire company that profits off of sales, not viability, is wrong. The hope that things go back to as they were is wrong. The world changed. We changed. We're all experiencing prolonged trauma right now and poo poo isn't normal, nor will it be for a long, long time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

d0s posted:

does this mean that alcohol based hand sanitizer works better on your hands than washing with soap and water? I remember hearing a bunch of stuff from the news about how washing your hands is the best way to kill it, and hand sanitizer should only be relied on if you can't wash your hands. it kinda reminded me of the whole "only doctors/nurses need masks" thing you heard everywhere from a month ago, so I've been doing both (washing then sanitizing) because my megacorp sent me two cases of germ-x as a consolation prize for having to work during the plague

If your hand-washing technique entails submerging your hands in sudsy water then you need to change your hand-washing technique

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

A lot of sick gay guys out there suddenly having vagina fever dreams.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The audacity of trusting a multimillionaire company that profits off of sales, not viability, is wrong. The hope that things go back to as they were is wrong. The world changed. We changed. We're all experiencing prolonged trauma right now and poo poo isn't normal, nor will it be for a long, long time.

I'm not telling you to trust a multimillionaire company that profits off of sales, not viability. I believe that the drug companies will always do what is in their best interests, however, they can't cover up adverse reactions that happen during the trials. I'm telling you to trust the professional people who don't work for the pharma companies and who have no interest in whether the drug works or not - most of the time, we don't even know whether the drug itself or a placebo/comparator is being used. I guess what I'm saying is that during clinical trials, a pharma company can't control the narrative of adverse reactions. After it goes to market and the FDA gives approval, I'm sure they would do everything they could to squash rumors or pay off doctors to shut up or whatever.

necroid
May 14, 2009

mrfart posted:

A lot of sick gay guys out there suddenly having vagina fever dreams.

lol

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Cacafuego posted:

Occasionally the pharma company will monitor our monitoring, which is often more frequent when the drug is getting closer to market. At this point, the FDA then monitors all of the above, especially at places that they deem to be possible risks (high enrollers, many adverse events, places with no adverse events if others do have them, etc).

I’m not telling you to worry at all, I’m telling you that the information provided to the public when any drug/vaccine goes to market is absolutely what is known at the time. Nobody is hiding anything. There may be additional issues/adverse reactions that aren’t known then that become obvious within the few years after the drug is approved and they often get pulled from the market. That can be a valid concern. Celebrex and Vioxx are two of the bigger ones that I remember.
Yep, and on top of all the on-site monitoring and multiple layers of audits, the statisticians (both at the pharma company and at the FDA) are checking for outlier issues and fishy data. The general characterization of a compound or vaccine's safety is pretty robust. It's the rare serious events or long-term toxicities that typically get uncovered in post-marketing surveillance.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Blitter posted:

How exactly would that be a good sign?

Australia has tested almost 500,000 and only had a confirmation rate of about 1.5%. The mortality rate for those was about 1%. I'd still say that the mortality rate for this is much higher than the flu.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Inceltown posted:

I was watching you through the window the whole time, you were going to post this.

There’s no way bolsonaro doesn’t have it

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Australia has tested almost 500,000 and only had a confirmation rate of about 1.5%. The mortality rate for those was about 1%. I'd still say that the mortality rate for this is much higher than the flu.

That 1%ish mortality also matches the cruise ship results and the South Korea results where they tested everyone with any contact at all to an infected person.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

bort posted:

Do you think we'll see 100k dead now? Did you ever think it was gonna be millions?

We will definitely see over 100K dead now.

I do believe we would have had over 1M deaths without social distancing, especially with hospitals overwhelmed.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at the anti-vaxxer goons already declaring they're not gonna take the vaccine

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Weeeeeeeeeeell that depends on what you mean by "this pattern". We've been having ebola outbreaks for 44 years now, although I guess we didn't have a widespread "Oh gently caress" globe-spanning outbreak until 2013-6 . The 2018 outbreak was also pretty lovely and is still not officially over.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ebola_outbreaks

It's not the exact pattern that GolfHole laid out but there's definitely been re-occurring outbreaks for more than 25 years, the fucker just won't go away.

Point conceded but I'd counter that it is still the exception and that Ebola continues to exist because it kills people in Africa, not in USA/Europe/East Asia.

People only started to give a poo poo about it in 2014 because of the handful of cases that made it to the US but that interest was quickly lost once they convalesced. So long as it remains isolated to poor black people in Africa, it'll probably linger forever w occasional small outbreaks. Kinda like the ~100 people that get polio each year in the central Asia area

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lol at the anti-vaxxer goons already declaring they're not gonna take the vaccine

yes but what if it was a suppository (I'll take 2)

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Unless that dude's already eaten the lime he's doing it wrong!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/social-distancing-may-be-needed-until-2022-harvard-study-doc-1ql5bc3

Apparently we may have to keep social distancing until at least 2022 just to keep the hospitals from becoming overwhelmed if this Harvard study proves to be true.

I...don't see some states taking this lightly here in the US. People can't even handle the less than 60 days we've been doing it now. 2 years would be catastrophic for them. And for the world's economy.

the same day trump announced the plan to reopen in his daily briefing, a few hours earlier trudeau said that poo poo isn't going back to normal until 2022 and be prepared for years of social distancing. the contrast was pretty funny.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Find a hot take and there will always be a goon with a hotter take.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Anti-vaxx should be ban on sight.

In other news, Florida has released names of nursing homes/rehab centers with confirmed cases of Covid-19. This is info that should have been made public immediately. The facilities have been keeping the poo poo secret for whatever reason.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rush Limbaugh is who started this, a person that Trump has been known to listen to and parrot, and considers to be a personal best friend.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Point conceded but I'd counter that it is still the exception and that Ebola continues to exist because it kills people in Africa, not in USA/Europe/East Asia.

People only started to give a poo poo about it in 2014 because of the handful of cases that made it to the US but that interest was quickly lost once they convalesced. So long as it remains isolated to poor black people in Africa, it'll probably linger forever w occasional small outbreaks. Kinda like the ~100 people that get polio each year in the central Asia area

i just gave a rough patterning based on other international outbreaks in history
one of very many examples, from the russian flu outbreak of the late 19th century:

The most reported effects of the pandemic took place October 1889 – December 1890, with recurrences in March – June 1891, November 1891 – June 1892, winter 1893–1894 and early 1895.

when you think about it logically it makes sense that these things creep up over and over, it'd be foolish to assume it would only last one season

it's always a certain temperature somewhere on earth and there are always people who have to go to work even though they feel sick

coupled with the fact there are 130 million new people born on this earth every year and it takes a long rear end while for any outbreak to "work its course"

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

ymgve posted:

There are no documented cases, just a couple of facts: sick people leave virus on surfaces, virus on surfaces can be transferred to hands and then face in sufficient quantities to infect. That is why everyone keeps saying “don’t touch your face,” surface transmission, not Sir Coronalot kissing your hand. Nobody has documented “aha this box of rice-a-roni is a RNA match for the strain you just caught,” that’s really unlikely to document, they are just seeing healthy people go into a grocery store and then they get coronavirus.

Bleach is cheap. Waiting 72 hours is easy. If I can’t wait, I wipe the package with dilute bleach.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Is there a credible english-language source for all things coronavirus, written for the average person so I can forward it?

The CDC is out, because Mike Pence. The WHO is out, because China. Not sure BJ’s UK is the best. Maybe Canada’s CDC equivalent?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

madeintaipei posted:

Anti-vaxx should be ban on sight.

In other news, Florida has released names of nursing homes/rehab centers with confirmed cases of Covid-19. This is info that should have been made public immediately. The facilities have been keeping the poo poo secret for whatever reason.

Nursing homes are a 12 figure a year industry. They are a business that doesn't want to get a bad reputation or else they might lose captive elderly people having their money sucked out of them customers. Any number of older people refusing to go to a care home due to the plague reputation represents millions in lost revenue.

That's at the state/federal level. When it gets to the local level their good names will be protected by politicians getting kickbacks that want to keep the local millionaires happy.

Once they can't deny the concept that nursing homes are mass death facilities they'll switch to protecting the specific names. Just vague language about healthcare concerns at unspecified facilities without going "Sweeping Acres had 80% of their patients loving die last month. Dozens are dead at Sweeping Acres."

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I went from a sore throat and sniffles to full blown "I don't want to get out of bed" flu in half a day. Managed to get five hours of sleep, haven't been able to fall back asleep since waking up to expunge a gallon of phlegm.

Only registered members can see post attachments!