Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I guess it's always possible someone made poorly fried doughnuts, or was forced to use a method of frying that couldn't dump enough heat into the oil to properly fry them, leaving the centers raw. I'm pretty skeptical, though. Ring-shaped breads have been around for a long time and frankly seems like a great solution to being able to store or carry them in quantities (on like, sticks, etc) before we had ridiculous amounts of disposable packaging.

Edit: doughnut snype

Also, while the internet and fooderati went insane for the cronut, bakery chains in Cincy have been frying up danish dough doughnuts for decades. Theirs were more heavily glazed, which is a distinction (but one I find superior). Not quite the same but also not that different. They also do one stuffed with cheese (like in a cheese danish).

They look more like a regular doughnut, but the inside is pretty different, as I recall.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Croatoan posted:

I do the serious eats reverse sear method which renders almost no drippings. So I ended up with popovers instead of yorkshire puddings (basically the same thing just uses butter) Yay for juicy steak but boo for any jus. I went with the béarnaise but I absolutely should have made a horseradish sauce instead. I will do that next time. Still, it was a killer meal.

I'm sure it was delicious but to me roast beef with no drippings is totally :confused:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's actually better to plant trees at night, the little invisible hairs on the roots fry in direct sunlight.

I learned something today! :)

SubG posted:

`This looks kinda like a pussy' does in fact seem to be the unsubtle subtext for a lot of ring-shaped baked goods. Some of the earliest references to bagels, for example, mention that they were traditionally made to celebrate childbirth.

I learned something today! :goofy:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SubG posted:

8 0 0 8 1 3 5

1 347 455

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SubG posted:

Or people just took some dough and formed it into a ring. Which is something people have been doing with dough for approximately as long as dough has existed.

Yeah, basics of putting dough in hot oil: poke a hole in the middle, or it bubbles up there and you get a weird shape or uncooked dough in the middle.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^ yeah, TLDR: not rocket science

prayer group posted:

You know what'll be even more transformative? Replacing it! After 10 years that thing's probably dull as hell, I'm surprised it can get through nutmeg. They should definitely be replaced every so often. Everyone go ahead and get a new microplane and thank me later.

I'm on my third. I've been considering getting a larger gauge one for citrus zest.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well quarantine is lonely and people have asked for one before so I think I did this right, here's the new Goons With Spoons discord server! Come hang out and talk with each other! If I did it wrong tell me and I'll try to figure out what I did wrong?

https://discord.gg/bFtz9s5

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

pshhh, everybody is working diligently at home 8-5, then face chatting with family and friends before 8-9 hours of sleep. Nobody has time for a goon food chat channel

I just joined, thanks!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Well quarantine is lonely and people have asked for one before so I think I did this right, here's the new Goons With Spoons discord server! Come hang out and talk with each other! If I did it wrong tell me and I'll try to figure out what I did wrong?

https://discord.gg/bFtz9s5

I thought this is where we chatted? But CoD : bread is a good one

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

I thought this is where we chatted? But CoD : bread is a good one

bake (bread) or die not bad, but I do like seeing when the CoDs are weird. Butter was a good one.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

mediaphage posted:

bake (bread) or die not bad, but I do like seeing when the CoDs are weird. Butter was a good one.

I figure it’s easier than asking anyone to source anything because us city livers have 6’ distanced lines outside of every grocer so if it isn’t pantry staples it requires a schlep.

I would rock a CoD tinned fish, thanks food twitters.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I figure it’s easier than asking anyone to source anything because us city livers have 6’ distanced lines outside of every grocer so if it isn’t pantry staples it requires a schlep.

I would rock a CoD tinned fish, thanks food twitters.

Lots of grocery stores have those. It’s good.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I don't know about America but in the UK flour doesn't exist any more. I was smart enough to grab a 10lb bag a month ago but if I hadn't I would have no choice but to 'or die'.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmegin posted:

I don't know about America but in the UK flour doesn't exist any more. I was smart enough to grab a 10lb bag a month ago but if I hadn't I would have no choice but to 'or die'.

I got some from an online shop before stocks ran entirely out. It was not exactly what I would have bought usually but it is more than good enough. (I highly recommend bakerybits.co.uk. Btw)

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 18, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Same in Canada; I'm convinced at least half the flour will remain on pantry shelves unopened for the next decade

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Sourdough fans! When flour exists again in your area, MAKE THIS WITH YOUR SOURDOUGH DISCARD.

https://melissaknorris.com/sourdough-chocolate-bread-from-scratch/

I'm not the greatest fan of the lady herself, but the recipe is absolutely solid and delicious. It's the best cake I have ever made.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sourdough fans! When flour exists again in your area, MAKE THIS WITH YOUR SOURDOUGH DISCARD.

https://melissaknorris.com/sourdough-chocolate-bread-from-scratch/

I'm not the greatest fan of the lady herself, but the recipe is absolutely solid and delicious. It's the best cake I have ever made.

You jerk, my starter was sleeping peacefully in the fridge and now I have to wake him up and get him fat for baking tomorrow.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

feedmegin posted:

You guys don't even have all the windmills anymore?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I've got a friend who complained about the lack of bread options and it never occurred to him that he could make his own. He's a drat good fisherman though so I'd happily trade him bread for trout, but we went opposite directions when we left iowa in 2018 and I dont think fresh bread or fresh trout would be all that palatable after 3,000 miles of transit

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

I've got a friend who complained about the lack of bread options and it never occurred to him that he could make his own. He's a drat good fisherman though so I'd happily trade him bread for trout, but we went opposite directions when we left iowa in 2018 and I dont think fresh bread or fresh trout would be all that palatable after 3,000 miles of transit

Teach a man to fish and he will never understand sourdough, interesting.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

You guys don't even have all the windmills anymore?

Apparently the issue is not insufficient flour; it’s that 96% of it goes to the trade in big bags, and there is not enough in smaller consumer bags for the sudden increase in demand from home bakers.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I have two separate friends who’ve bought 25kg bags of flour

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought two 25 pound bags for $5.50 each this month and split them with friends in gallon ziplocs. It was so cheap I just gave it away for free

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lol not counting the smaller bags I’ve bought a 10 kilo bag just for me and I’m like halfway through it in the past month alone. I’m way more annoyed at how there are no wheat or specialty wheat berries available for milling without paying insane shipping costs.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Wrong thread

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Democratic Pirate posted:

You jerk, my starter was sleeping peacefully in the fridge and now I have to wake him up and get him fat for baking tomorrow.

You'll thank me later.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

feedmegin posted:

I found 5lbs of un-bleached flour in my cupboard I accidentally bought a few months ago. I don't know if there's actually a functional difference between bleached and un-bleached, but nothing seems to have been ruined by it yet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shroomie posted:

I found 5lbs of un-bleached flour in my cupboard I accidentally bought a few months ago. I don't know if there's actually a functional difference between bleached and un-bleached, but nothing seems to have been ruined by it yet.

Theoretically bleached flour makes for better bread, according to a number of internet sources, but it’s also an extra processing step. I tend to avoid it merely for philosophical reasons.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Theoretically bleached flour makes for better bread, according to a number of internet sources, but it’s also an extra processing step. I tend to avoid it merely for philosophical reasons.

King Arthur unbleached AP is my go-to for almost everything, but I dont mess around with sweet stuff too often, so i dont know I'd that is impacted

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

You'll thank me later.

Update: made the bread last night, would give it a solid B (A for flavor and C for execution). 40 minutes at 350 made a very dry and crumbly cake; next go round will get a bake check starting at 30 minutes, and I’ll add the brewed coffee option to the batter.

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016
Flour seems to be back in stock around here but not a single supermarket in town has yeast.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

Flour seems to be back in stock around here but not a single supermarket in town has yeast.

You can always try to grab it from beer foam or whatever those hippies are doing these days.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Democratic Pirate posted:

Update: made the bread last night, would give it a solid B (A for flavor and C for execution). 40 minutes at 350 made a very dry and crumbly cake; next go round will get a bake check starting at 30 minutes, and I’ll add the brewed coffee option to the batter.

Mine was perfect at 350 convection for 35 minutes, rotated halfway through. In a toaster oven, even. I did cupcakes at the same time for 15 minutes. I rarely follow bake time directions beyond them being a gauge guestimate, because my baking options are wildly inconsistent and I just end up babysitting stuff the whole time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

If you have a food wholesaler or restaurant supply nearby you can pick up a bulk bag, transfer it to a mason jar or something like that, and keep it all in the freezer. Yeast will happily keep in the freezer more or less indefinitely.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SubG posted:

If you have a food wholesaler or restaurant supply nearby you can pick up a bulk bag, transfer it to a mason jar or something like that, and keep it all in the freezer. Yeast will happily keep in the freezer more or less indefinitely.

Absolutely. Fridge, even, if keeping it in the freezer is a pain or a space issue. My bag is finally getting low after uh 2 or 3 years of living in the fridge door and it’s still as active as when I bought it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Made beer

Made pizza with the ale yeast

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Made beer

Made pizza with the ale yeast

Whyyyyyyy can I not be there to pet your dog and drink your beer. Everything sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

dino. posted:

Whyyyyyyy can I not be there to pet your dog and drink your beer. Everything sucks.

O poo poo the pizza could have been vegan too if I left the cheese off half. The sauce is fresh tomato and sweet peppers topped with kale. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I wish I put more kale on, it was delicious.