Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I really like th idea of the FZ-09.I wasn't sure what "high miles" is for a bike. I'm a big fan of triples. Technically my first bike was a 74 Yamaha XS750 that was a triple.
This is the dealers description-
Used 2015 Yamaha FZ-09 motorcycle for sale 10,362 Miles. This pre-owned Yamaha FZ-09 offers fender eliminator kit, custom front and rear LED turn signals, custom billet adjustable rider pegs, tank protector, MZS billet adjustable levers, T-Rex frame sliders, swing arm spools.

Looks like some light scuffs on the side of the engine but everything else looks good. Has the stock exhaust which is surprising. Not sure what those good foot peg contraptions are I've never seen those before.
I'll check out the 401 and this early next week and keep you guys updated lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Am I stupid or am I stupid?

Recently took my chain off to soak in oil to free up some stuck links (I was being stupid and not lubricating it often enough)
went to go install it back on today but the master link I bought doesn't seem to fit. I bought an "EK Chain 520 SRX2 Master Link"
and my chain says "ek 520 lvo"

I assumed it would fit because it's a 520 master link and a 520 chain. Was I wrong? Does the "SRX2" and "lvo" matter?
I can't seem to find any lvo master links.

edit: and by not fitting I mean the prongs/rivets on the master link doesn't want to fit through the holes of the chain. Is it supposed to a super snug fit that needs to be pressed to even get it started?

Debugario fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 12, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

BrownieVK posted:

I really like th idea of the FZ-09.I wasn't sure what "high miles" is for a bike. I'm a big fan of triples. Technically my first bike was a 74 Yamaha XS750 that was a triple.
Used 2015 Yamaha FZ-09 motorcycle for sale 10,362 Miles. This pre-owned Yamaha FZ-09 offers fender eliminator kit, custom front and rear LED turn signals, custom billet adjustable rider pegs, tank protector, MZS billet adjustable levers, T-Rex frame sliders, swing arm spools.

Looks like some light scuffs on the side of the engine but everything else looks good. Has the stock exhaust which is surprising. Not sure what those good foot peg contraptions are I've never seen those before.

Those footpegs are cheap eBay rearsets that were probably installed after the PO dumped the bike (see scratches on the engine case) and damaged or broke the stock ones.

$5600 is a little overpriced for a '15. None of those aftermarket pieces they have listed are expensive or add much value to the bike - you could buy them all yourself for $200-250.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

BrownieVK posted:

it's hard to tell from the photos, ofc
I'd be concerned that the scuffs and the replacement pegs speak to the po having dropped the bike at least once. I can't tell what the hell those tires are.
The FZ is super fun, and i imagine that it's extremely fun if you live in a semi-rural area. in Chicago it was...a lot. On the highways it was a blast, but going down Higgins you're already no-prisoners-Russian-ing yourself in first gear. I mean that goes for a lot of bikes, but the FZ has so much torque that it's easy to be a complete dick in a school zone. every school zone. The thing really wants to go fast, which is one of the best things about it. It's always pushing you to be more of a huge tool. It's fun.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Debugario posted:

Am I stupid or am I stupid?

Recently took my chain off to soak in oil to free up some stuck links (I was being stupid and not lubricating it often enough)
went to go install it back on today but the master link I bought doesn't seem to fit. I bought an "EK Chain 520 SRX2 Master Link"
and my chain says "ek 520 lvo"

I assumed it would fit because it's a 520 master link and a 520 chain. Was I wrong? Does the "SRX2" and "lvo" matter?
I can't seem to find any lvo master links.

edit: and by not fitting I mean the prongs/rivets on the master link doesn't want to fit through the holes of the chain. Is it supposed to a super snug fit that needs to be pressed to even get it started?

520 only defines the width and link spacing. The internal diameter of the rollers and the diameter of the pins are proprietary, and generally won't match between brands.

If you can't source a master link that's the same brand as the chain, you're going to need a new chain.

e/ this is one reason everyone here will tell you to buy a DID chain, because in addition to just being good quality you can always buy single master links for them.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 12, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
DID and RK are my go to chain brands

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Also, even if you got the same brand master link, it depends on what kind of chain .. unsealed, o ring, x ring etc. When buying a new chain, don't just look for the cheapest, look for a brand that you can find links easily like recommended earlier with the DID.

I dropped the master link of the chain that was in my bike from the previous owner because he installed it backwards and I couldn't find a replacement so I ordered a new chain that I could find locally if needed.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

BrownieVK posted:

Things that often get damaged if you drop a bike on the side: footpegs, turn signals, levers, exhaust. Maybe the fancy exhaust got damaged in a drop and that's why the original is on the bike?

tjones
May 13, 2005

pun pundit posted:

Things that often get damaged if you drop a bike on the side: footpegs, turn signals, levers, exhaust. Maybe the fancy exhaust got damaged in a drop and that's why the original is on the bike?

This is wise thinking. I don't know many people who have custom rear sets that didn't already have an aftermarket exhaust first.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Its funny how sellers always try to list "upgrades" when they usually come out of necessity due to a spill. Oh ... all the upgrades are only on one side? You chose to buy new plastic? You cheaped out and bought the absolute cheapest part you could find? I wonder why.

A buddy of mine went to look at a dirt bike, I went with. It looked like absolute dogshit when we pulled up. Both levers snapped and sharper than hell. It wouldn't start. My buddy rode it and said certain gears wouldn't engage. It died when he stopped. Sides of the grips were damaged. The owner "upgraded" the radiators ... which after examining it, was clearly because someone hit a tree with it and broke the originals bending/snapping the mounting brackets. The new ones were too big an didn't fit so they cut the plastics and ghetto rigged it. They didn't know what the hot start lever did so they took it off. The rear fender was broken off ... because someone failed doing a wheelie. Rear brake was missing. Not non-functional ... like not present. Both pegs were bent. Handlebars were bent. Spokes were loose or corroded. Lost of rusty and stripped fasteners. The chain was orange. Pastics faded meaning it slept outside. Neither wheel spun freely. Front wheel and tire were not the right size and being sold as "upgrades". The guy seemed insulted when he didn't want to buy the bike. We were the 5th people to come look at this thing, said he was sick of people wasting his time. You would think the guy would get a hint. He asked what the most my buddy would pay for it and he refused.

I'm always weary of upgrades on used stuff not only for the motive behind them, but also because you never know who installed it and if it was done correctly. When it comes to selling, its been about 50/50 for me personally that people are trying to get as much as they can out of their pile of poo poo vs posting it for a reasonable price.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The old dude that owned my FZ before me (it was a 2014, a very early model so he) upgraded all the important, non-cosmetic bits like the front and rear suspension and the ECU. When i got it I put a tail tidy on it and throttle "tamer" tube and i put a drag bar on it so the riding position would be more down-and-forward. Luckily never dropped it, but all the cosmetic poo poo people replace makes me think twice about the person selling it. i know i did a tail tidy only god can juge me

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A lot of bikes really benefit from a tail tidy though, I don't count that as an unnecessary modification.

I need to rehabilitate my bicycle that's been sitting outside for almost three years. If I buy a motorcycle chain breaker/tool, will that work for bicycle chains too? I'm assuming so, but I've never had to mess with either.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

A lot of bikes really benefit from a tail tidy though, I don't count that as an unnecessary modification.

I need to rehabilitate my bicycle that's been sitting outside for almost three years. If I buy a motorcycle chain breaker/tool, will that work for bicycle chains too? I'm assuming so, but I've never had to mess with either.

The presser will work for bike chains, but the pin punch is way too big.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

BrownieVK posted:

I'm 5'8 and heavy lol. I'm really looking for something I can just jump on and ride when I don't feel like being a cruiser bro. My Scout is quick in a straight line but I drag pegs all the time and I think it would be fun to have something that can handle. The 701 is a little out of the price range for a second bike.

I'm your height but not heavy and the 401 is immensely uncomfortable, I have one and can't wait to get rid of it when the world is done ending. Definitely do not buy without riding.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The presser will work for bike chains, but the pin punch is way too big.

Oh well, the chain on my motorcycle is fairly new and I try to keep it cleaned and oiled, so I probably won't need a new one for years anyway.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
i have a million super specialized bicycle/mtb tools if anyone in the Chicago area needs to break a chain or cut a steer tube or install a star-fangled nut or tighten a sram cassette or something. sorry jeans, if you're not from around here

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

No the pin will be too big. Bicycle chain tools are like, $5.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

I did a tail tidy on my bike and it looks hella cute but my black jacket always has a skunk stripe of dirt/mud after rain now :haw:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Martytoof posted:

I did a tail tidy on my bike and it looks hella cute but my black jacket always has a skunk stripe of dirt/mud after rain now :haw:

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

CheddarGoblin posted:

I'm your height but not heavy and the 401 is immensely uncomfortable, I have one and can't wait to get rid of it when the world is done ending. Definitely do not buy without riding.

Damnit that's not what I wanted to hear. I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder that even riding my Scout with the crazy low seat height and swept back bars causes pain after a while. It wouldn't be a commuter just an extra bike to take out on the fun roads around here. The Svartpilen looks much more reasonable for ergos. I found a kit that swaps the Vitpilens clip ons to more of a normal bar. I guess there's a reason it's so cheap lol.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

CheddarGoblin posted:

This ranks up there with the xt660 in motorcycle dreams crushed. Especially since I'm taller than 5'8. A seat concepts and standard bars wouldn't fix it?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

This ranks up there with the xt660 in motorcycle dreams crushed. Especially since I'm taller than 5'8. A seat concepts and standard bars wouldn't fix it?

it’s just a small bike period. like I’ve sat on the svartpilen 401 with the regular bars and it just feels like it was made for like 15 year old me. the 701 fees smallish to me too, but not comically small and I’m only 5’11” 190ish

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My boss at work has been lusting over the Vit/Svart and I had to break it to him that it's a very small bike and he's old, 6'4, and 240lbs.

Started the VFR a couple days ago for the first time in the spring and it dripped fuel from the front two bowls. Gaskets must have dried up just enough since I empty the bowls in the fall. So, I start it and let it run for just a few seconds each day for the last few days, and it seals back up. It's like bringing an old ship-of-the-line out of dry dock.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How do I test ride a bike that isn't common on the used market if all of the dealerships around me keep their showroom bikes empty?

Should I go sit on a vanvan and make vroom noises?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Jack B Nimble posted:

How do I test ride a bike that isn't common on the used market if all of the dealerships around me keep their showroom bikes empty?

See if you can rent it somewhere? Seems like $100 for a day rental is cheap, compared to the thousands you may spend buying something you don't actually like.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

Modern VanVan or 70's/80's?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

Take an MSF course, chances are good there will be a TW as one of the provided bikes. Not the cheapest option, but a good way to spend a whole day on one.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's constantly frustrating that the only way to know what a bike is like is to buy it. I've been fortunate enough to bike swap with a lot of people over the years, but there are still loads of bikes I just want to ride and see.

There are demo days but lol getting to any of those.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Those are good suggestions, and I appreciate it, there's a rental agency in New Orleans that has a few bikes I'd like to at least try, even if I wouldn't see myself buying them

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The big 4 Japanese brand dealerships don't do test rides, from everything I've heard. On the other hand, a used bike dealer without a brand affiliation very well might. There's a Harley-heavy shop near me that always has a bunch of different Japanese stuff as well, and they told me I could test ride anything I wanted.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The big 4 Japanese brand dealerships don't do test rides, from everything I've heard. On the other hand, a used bike dealer without a brand affiliation very well might. There's a Harley-heavy shop near me that always has a bunch of different Japanese stuff as well, and they told me I could test ride anything I wanted.

yeah too many dipshits taking them for stunt rides. the guy at my local dealer wouldn't let me test drive it until we shot the poo poo for like 30 minutes talking about what i was looking for because they'd had recent problems with younger guys taking the floor bikes to parking lots and doing wheelies etc for insta clout.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Weird. When I got my license, the very day, I rang up my nearest Yamaha dealer and asked if they were doing test rides and if I’d have any issue “nah, the XSR is here, come on down”.

0 days on my license and just a paper “you passed!” Certificate and a passport was all they needed from me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Where I am here (southern USA), the issue is that the bikes are just kept on the floor as display models, with no fluids in them. It's not until you buy one that they go uncrate it (or take it off the floor if it was the only one) and then fill it up with fluids and get it ready.

One more question please; my bike is a Honda and I'm getting the tires changed at a Suzuki/Yamaha dealership; should their shop also be able to change my break lines (and fluid) or do the lines have seals and things that might not be in their stock?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Brake lines are not a actually changed service item unless it's old rear end rubber lines that visibly bulge when you press the lever. It differs on some manufacturers, but most has it as an "inspect" item, not replace. A proper shop can make brake lines at whatever length they need for any bike, but I'd think most use the default replacement parts from the manufacturer or 3rd party. They may not have the brake line kit for your bike at hand.

If you wanna turn a wrench, It's not rocket science to change fluid and drop in a stainless brake hose kit on a bike. I'd rate it at just slightly above swapping from winter to summer tires on a car.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, I saw a fortnine video that said change lines at 5 years, but if it's more of an inspection thing I can just change my own fluid, thanks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, I saw a fortnine video that said change lines at 5 years, but if it's more of an inspection thing I can just change my own fluid, thanks.

I find speed bleeders quite helpful for brake fluid.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
How much of difference does oil brand make? Normally I buy sponsored oil at our university bike club workshop, but corona has shut that down and I'm down to the limit. My bike is a 800 euro trash heap so I'm inclined to order the 4 euro/liter stuff unless there is a good reason not to.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

AlexanderCA posted:

How much of difference does oil brand make? Normally I buy sponsored oil at our university bike club workshop, but corona has shut that down and I'm down to the limit. My bike is a 800 euro trash heap so I'm inclined to order the 4 euro/liter stuff unless there is a good reason not to.

not much at all. I run maxima in my 1290 since it has the same ratings as motorex, but is like $15-$20 cheaper in the 4L format. just make sure weights are the same and that it has the same specs / ratings as what your OEM oil has and you'll be good

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Thx, ordered the cheap stuff. Manual calls for SE/SF because 1994 heh, so this SL stuff should be good enough If I understand correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When removing and reinstalling an exhaust header, is greasing the exhaust gaskets just done to hold them in place, or is there some other reason I'm not thinking about?