Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

There's also wolfquest, if you want more like life of Black Tiger. You do not want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I should have specified PC -- Tokyo Jungle would be perfect but for that. That said I hadn't even heard of either of the other two; thanks, folks.

If you don't mind streaming, PS Now has Tokyo Jungle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any games (probably in the survival genre, but not necessarily) where you play a wild or feral animal, scavenging for food, etc?

Rain World is almost the perfect example but I'm looking for something with even less pressure to "progress" forwards, and maybe a little easier.

In Shelter 1 and 2 you play a badger sheparding her young.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Can anyone recommend a mechanically-deep strategy, RPG or action game released in the last 1-2 years that would run on a laptop with integrated graphics?

I'm pretty keen on in the last 1-2 years, if it's older than that I've probably already played it.

Games along the line of what I'm looking for:
Rimworld, Battle Brothers, Caves of Qud, Horizon's Gate

I've tried Stoneshard and didn't really vibe with it. I've been playing Urtuk: The Desolation and it's fun but it's not grabbing me the same way Battle Brothers did. I've also played, uhh, I forget the name of it but that Final Fantasy Tactics-like game that came out about a year ago but was underwhelmed by the character/class development
Knights of the Chalice is an older indie game but one you've almost certainly never heard of, tactical RPG following D&D rules very closely with great mechanical depth. It just came out on Steam recently for some reason.

Unfortunately the creator is one of those weird libertarian types who insists on pricing it really highly even though it's like 12 years old (insert joke about libertarians thinking 12 year olds are highly desirable)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like there should be a game like this, and I think I know there isn't a game like this, but I'll ask anyways.

Are there any decent open world superhero games, even if only multiplayer? Something where I can jump around crushing cars as The Hulk or fly around like Superman. I know there's the Spiderman games, I know City of Heroes was a thing, but anything modern and not Spiderman only? PC preferred, could be talked into signing up for some streaming service.

Thanks video game goons!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
City of Heroes is still a thing, actually! But probably not quite what you're looking for.

The Prototype games or Saints Row 4? I guess the question is how modern do you mean.

There's that Avengers game coming out eventually. :mrgw:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel like there should be a game like this, and I think I know there isn't a game like this, but I'll ask anyways.

Are there any decent open world superhero games, even if only multiplayer? Something where I can jump around crushing cars as The Hulk or fly around like Superman. I know there's the Spiderman games, I know City of Heroes was a thing, but anything modern and not Spiderman only? PC preferred, could be talked into signing up for some streaming service.

Thanks video game goons!

Look up Megaton Rainfall.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Thanks video game goons!

You want Prototype and/or Saints Row 4

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Prototype was built off of the engine of the best Hulk game ever made, so jumping around as Alex Mercer is basically like jumping around as the Hulk. If you want to play just the Hulk game, you'd need to go looking for Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which I don't think ever came out for modern systems. There's also the Arkham games, which are the most well-received superhero games in a long while, and they have Batman gliding around the city.

There's also the Crackdown games, which do a similar thing with jumping, but also have more traditional gunplay along with jumping and punching, and the Infamous series which I don't remember what they did for locomotion. I think there was rail grinding? I don't know of any superhero games where there's just plain flight, but I think the closest is Just Cause 3 and 4, which aren't superhero games, but the whole wingsuit + jetpack thing is pretty great.

And if you want a more recent superhero MMO, I think DC Universe Online is the big thing that's a successor to City of Heroes but also still supported.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thanks video game goons!
The various Lego superheroes games

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SlothfulCobra posted:

Prototype was built off of the engine of the best Hulk game ever made, so jumping around as Alex Mercer is basically like jumping around as the Hulk. If you want to play just the Hulk game, you'd need to go looking for Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which I don't think ever came out for modern systems.

Hulk: UD was goddamn wonderful. You could rip a car in half and use it as boxing gloves. You could knock a helicopter out of the sky by clapping your hands. You climbed buildings by just running up them with impossible gravity. It was loving GREAT.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
S/O and I are looking for a co-op thing. Have done temtem + stardew and loved it, would love to have something story based that you can go through with a a 2nd.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Lokee posted:

S/O and I are looking for a co-op thing. Have done temtem + stardew and loved it, would love to have something story based that you can go through with a a 2nd.

Left-field suggestion because it's not technically co-op, but Return of the Obra Dinn was an absolute joy to play through with my SO. Narrative-based puzzle game where most content is figuring out people's identities through visual clues, so there's a lot of talking about what's on the screen and trying to figure out if person X is a sailor or an officer based on their uniform etc. Only one person has the controller as it's a single player, but all the inputs you can decide on collectively, so it doesn't really matter that much who's pushing the buttons. It is a really cool game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What's cool in puzzle games in the past year or so? My working from home has spots of downtime where I can't really leave my desk so I've been filling it with a bunch of Hexcells Infinite and sudoku. It's usually <10 minutes at a time so I'm after something I can pick up and put down fairly easily without having to track too many clues or narrative stuff from previous sessions.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Baba Is You, but I'm not sure if you can manage it in 10min chunks.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Golf Peaks, 10 minutes should allow you to solve a few puzzles each session. It probably won't have too much staying power though unfortunately, I finished it all in about 3-4 hours.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I played Saints Row 4 and am aware of Prototype, not exactly what I was looking for and both a little dated. Megaton Rainfall looks wacky, may check that out. The Lego games were a creative suggestion, may give them a shot. I guess what I'm really waiting for is the Avenger's game, which seems set to release the end of this year. Thanks again. :)

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Deformed Church posted:

What's cool in puzzle games in the past year or so? My working from home has spots of downtime where I can't really leave my desk so I've been filling it with a bunch of Hexcells Infinite and sudoku. It's usually <10 minutes at a time so I'm after something I can pick up and put down fairly easily without having to track too many clues or narrative stuff from previous sessions.
Not quite a puzzle game, but Dicey Dungeons is great for short bursts. Mini Metro is perfect for good, but stressful short sessions. The Lara Croft turn based series of games are surprisingly good. And, finally, Into the Breach is possibly the platonic ideal of a short session puzzle game.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Deformed Church posted:

If you're into Picross/nonogram games, Depixtion came out recently. The images are full color and you solve three individual puzzles in red/blue/yellow that combine to solve it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sheriff Falc posted:

Left-field suggestion because it's not technically co-op, but Return of the Obra Dinn was an absolute joy to play through with my SO.

yeah seconding this one i played it with my wife and it's excellent. only one person "controls" the game but that doesnt really matter you spend most of the game just trying to figure out wtf happened and who is who and that's more of a conversation

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Earwicker posted:

yeah seconding this one i played it with my wife and it's excellent. only one person "controls" the game but that doesnt really matter you spend most of the game just trying to figure out wtf happened and who is who and that's more of a conversation

Third-ing this. The wife and I had a great time puzzling out Obra Din.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lokee posted:

Brothers
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
A Way Out

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shine posted:

Hulk: UD was goddamn wonderful. You could rip a car in half and use it as boxing gloves. You could knock a helicopter out of the sky by clapping your hands. You climbed buildings by just running up them with impossible gravity. It was loving GREAT.

You can do the same stuff in Prototype. One of your powersets is big ol' fists and I am fairly certain they just ripped the moveset from the Hulk games (which they also made), you even do the car boxing gloves

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a decent SRPG/RPG to play that'll run on my 2016 Macbook w/ Iris 550 graphics. I just finished replaying Fell Seal and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd also like the game to be aesthetically pleasing, so pixelart messes like Voidspire Tactics are out-- and no roguelikes.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 21, 2020

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm looking for a decent SRPG/RPG to play that'll run on my 2016 Macbook w/ Iris 550 graphics. I just finished replaying Fell Seal and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd also like the game to be aesthetically pleasing, so pixelart messes like Voidspire Tactics are out-- and no roguelikes.

Idk if it’s on Mac but Hard West is pretty good. Wildermyth, Druidstone, Banner Saga all have good graphics and a SRPG core.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I've started watching this YouTuber:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rHppZYLCQ)

He cracks some hard-rear end Sudoku puzzles, and now I'm craving something like it. I feel like I've played every puzzle game in existence, or, at least the ones that people know about. If I'm limiting it to Steam, Switch, and iOS I've played:

You Must Build a Boat and the like
All the Jigsaw games
Crosscells
Cross Set
Demoncrawl
Squarelogic
Freecell Quest
Glass Masquerades
Globesweeper
The Hexcells
The RPG Picrosses on the Switch
The Puzzle Quests
Hungry Cat Picross
Infinifactory
That puzzle game with the moving machinery and the elements that I can't quite think of....

There are countless more, but you get it.

Really, I feel like I've played any puzzle games ever recommended because I love them. I don't want RPG elements, animations, or anything cutesy. Something along the lines of Squarelogic or the Hexcells series would be wonderful. I'm just looking for good, quality logic puzzles.

Does anyone have anything?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MussoliniB posted:

Really, I feel like I've played any puzzle games ever recommended because I love them. I don't want RPG elements, animations, or anything cutesy. Something along the lines of Squarelogic or the Hexcells series would be wonderful. I'm just looking for good, quality logic puzzles.

LYNE
Blockwick 2

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

MussoliniB posted:

He cracks some hard-rear end Sudoku puzzles, and now I'm craving something like it. I feel like I've played every puzzle game in existence, or, at least the ones that people know about. If I'm limiting it to Steam, Switch, and iOS I've played:

All the Jigsaw games
Crosscells
Cross Set
Demoncrawl
Squarelogic
Freecell Quest
Glass Masquerades
Globesweeper
The Hexcells
The Puzzle Quests
Hungry Cat Picross
Infinifactory
That puzzle game with the moving machinery and the elements that I can't quite think of....

Tametsi is very Hexcells-y, scratches the same itch of minesweeper-esque gameplay but with some new features. Plus it costs $3 on Steam so the price is right. I think it'd be right up your alley. https://store.steampowered.com/app/709920/Tametsi/

Loop and Lyne are two others worth trying - neither really clicked for me like Hexcells and Squarelogic did but my girlfriend loved Lyne so different people are different, maybe it'll work for you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Magnibox, Zenge, Hook, klocki, and Scalak are all worth checking out.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Are there any good city-building games with a distinctly sci-fi bent? Something like Banished or the Settlers but with future-tech or set on a non-earth planet?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

khy posted:

Are there any good city-building games with a distinctly sci-fi bent? Something like Banished or the Settlers but with future-tech or set on a non-earth planet?

there's Surviving Mars, which is from the same team that does the Tropico series, in which you are a state agency or corporation building a Martian colony, its fairly limited in scope but it can be fun and its got a cool art style.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

khy posted:

Similar to Surviving Mars, there's Planetbase. Same deal, building domed colonies. Planetbase is wider (more locations than just mars) but shallower (less overall stuff regardless of location) by comparison.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MussoliniB posted:

All the Jigsaw games
Crosscells
Cross Set
Demoncrawl
Squarelogic
Freecell Quest
Glass Masquerades
Globesweeper
The Hexcells
The Puzzle Quests
Hungry Cat Picross
Infinifactory

On top of all of the other previous good suggestions, Sidewords.

khy posted:

Both of the future-set Anno games are pretty good in their own way. There's also Aven Colony for a more traditional city builder.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Thanks video game goons!

I know you said PC preferred, but if you have a PS4, Gravity Rush 2 is pretty neat. You control the direction of gravity for your character and the world has a distinctly Ghibli flavor to it. I found that it kind of wears out its welcome by the time it's over but I had a good time with it, and the locomotion makes traversing the world engaging and interesting.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

MussoliniB posted:

All the Jigsaw games
Crosscells
Cross Set
Demoncrawl
Squarelogic
Freecell Quest
Glass Masquerades
Globesweeper
The Hexcells
The Puzzle Quests
Hungry Cat Picross
Infinifactory

The PathPix series on Android and iOS is my go-to smoke break game, no guessing involved in solving the puzzles, and some of the later ones get really challenging. I've beaten most of them but the later puzzles in PathPix Color have me stumped. PathPix Lite is a free version of the first game, if you like it I'd suggest PathPix Pro as a good introduction to the series.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

khy posted:

Startopia you build up a space station, and it's an old and cheap game. Oxygen Not Included you build up a base full of people, but it's more about engineering. Anno 2070 involves moonbases.

Frostpunk is all about survival in a similar way to Banished, but it's only sci-fi if you think steampunk is sci fi. It's got giant steampowered robots though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Startopia you build up a space station, and it's an old and cheap game. Oxygen Not Included you build up a base full of people, but it's more about engineering. Anno 2070 involves moonbases.

Frostpunk is all about survival in a similar way to Banished, but it's only sci-fi if you think steampunk is sci fi. It's got giant steampowered robots though.

I was thinking something that was a bit more like, say, Civ BE but with a stronger focus on a single town or city. Alien planet with alien life that may or may not be hostile or beneficial, that kind of thing. I'm looking at Surviving Mars and possibly Aven Colony, though the reviews on the latter are a bit concerning. Wish there was a good demo I could try out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

khy posted:

Rimworld, it's distinctly sci-fi and has a phenomenal mod scene that lets you turn it into whatever you want (Want to run a cthulhu cult made up of imperial storm troopers? Halo Spartans under constant assault by drow? a powerful necromancer raiding tribal villages for fresh undead recruits? how about a bird sanctuary on an island run by three Terminators with some uhh, computational difficulties and the Simple-Minded perk?)

Caveat: While city/settlement building is what it's all about (and it's great at that) it's mostly focused on developing personal stories for your colonists (it's great at that too), this involves lots of instances of tragedy befalling your poor settlement

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Having to build a city in an alien ecosystem like Alpha Centauri seems like a pretty cool idea, but I don't think any game has really done that. I guess Oxygen Not Included might be a little like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MussoliniB posted:

Stephen's Sausage Roll: https://store.steampowered.com/app/353540/Stephens_Sausage_Roll/

Ignore your first impressions based on name and what it looks like. It's an absolutely brutal puzzle game. Too hard for me after a while, but people who are really into their tough puzzles love it. It's a bit expensive though.

The same guy (Stephen?) has a few other games that I haven't played. A couple of them are in a bundle with other puzzlers (some of which you may have mentioned) that may be worth checking out: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/9045/The__Bundle/

MussoliniB posted:

Also if you're looking for a new puzzle-adjacent youtube rabbithole, check out puzzle box/lock youtube if you haven't already.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 22, 2020