Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

When removing and reinstalling an exhaust header, is greasing the exhaust gaskets just done to hold them in place, or is there some other reason I'm not thinking about?

It helps them settle in a bit, if you put them in dry on some bikes they can jam up askew and cause headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Makes sense, thanks.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Traded my Honda Rebel 300 in on this beauty today. There's some crazy good deals on bikes right now even if the dealerships have to pretend to be closed (shame I know). I still have my Indian Scout but this thing is a ton of fun so far. Can't wait until the break in period is up. Also I need to lose weight haha. 2019 Yamaha R3-

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

AlexanderCA posted:

Thx, ordered the cheap stuff. Manual calls for SE/SF because 1994 heh, so this SL stuff should be good enough If I understand correctly.
There’s one caveat on motorcycle oil, make sure it doesn’t have friction modifiers that can affect your clutch. Look for a JASO MA spec (could also be MA1 or MA2) on the bottle. This shouldn’t affect the price, plenty of cheap oil that’ll work fine.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

BrownieVK posted:

Can't wait until the break in period is up.

Maybe... it's already up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpoglovyy_8

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh gently caress, don’t do this. Break in arguments are worse than oil arguments.

Follow the manufacturers directions. Not because they are necessarily right, not because they are necessarily wrong. Follow them because doing so will retain your warranty.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Follow them because doing so will retain your warranty.

Serious question, is there any data logging in modern bikes? If I didn't volunteer the information, if my engine exploded, how would the dealer know I revved to redline for an hour on the hwy home in 2nd vs putted home at 20kph in 6th gear at 1500rpm in a bicycle lane?

I'm joking in the example, but I routinely rev to 8-9 before shifting. Before I rode it off the lot, the mechanic at the dealership told me to ride normally and just avoid revving over the limit for sustained periods. I guess by the letter of the law I've long since voided my warranty but I'm not sure how Kawasaki would ever know in case something ever went wrong.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 21, 2020

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I'm going to follow the manual with this bike. Cars I don't think think it's a huge deal but this is a small displacement bike and any lost power from improper break in would suck.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Serious question, is there any data logging in modern bikes? If I didn't volunteer the information, if my engine exploded, how would the dealer know I revved to redline for an hour on the hwy home in 2nd vs putted home at 20kph in 6th gear at 1500rpm in a bicycle lane?

I'm joking in the example, but I routinely rev to 8-9 before shifting. Before I rode it off the lot, the mechanic at the dealership told me to ride normally and just avoid revving over the limit for sustained periods. I guess by the letter of the law I've long since voided my warranty but I'm not sure how Kawasaki would ever know in case something ever went wrong.

The answer is you don’t want to have to find out if the dealership might deny your warranty on a brand new bike you just paid thousands for. Maybe they will. Maybe they won’t. Why roll the dice.

See? Dammit you made me engage with a break in discussion. :argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

See? Dammit you made me engage with a break in discussion. :argh:

More! More chaos :twisted:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Martytoof posted:

(now mention countersteering)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't understand why people can't keep it in their pants long enough for a new engine to properly settle in. Like just don't flog the piss out of it for the first couple thousand miles or whatever.

NO ITS MY NEW PROPERTY AND IM GONNA ARGUE WITH ANYONE WHO SAYS I CANT *vrrrrrRRRREEEEEET-DET-DET-DET-DET-DETRrrrrrRRRRRR-DETDETDETDETDET*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha warranty shredder go brrrrrrrrrr

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is ari on roids or something? every video i've watched lately his skin is getting redder and redder

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Razzled posted:

is ari on roids or something? every video i've watched lately his skin is getting redder and redder

In the video I linked, he mentions that he was hit in the face with a firework, which shattered his jaw.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

yeah he got like half his face seared off and was in recovery for a while

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Oh wow Jesus that sucks

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Coydog posted:

I don't understand why people can't keep it in their pants long enough for a new engine to properly settle in. Like just don't flog the piss out of it for the first couple thousand miles or whatever.

NO ITS MY NEW PROPERTY AND IM GONNA ARGUE WITH ANYONE WHO SAYS I CANT *vrrrrrRRRREEEEEET-DET-DET-DET-DET-DETRrrrrrRRRRRR-DETDETDETDETDET*

Thousands of miles huh? So you break in your Harley over 10 years? :monocle:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Martytoof posted:

https://youtu.be/Ij7-LyOFlUU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Unironically the best break in video
https://youtu.be/u74jYkItdD8

kloa posted:

Thousands of miles huh? So you break in your Harley over 10 years? :monocle:

Fair point that's a lot of bar crawls.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
How quickly does fully synthetic oil degrade without use (if at all), does anyone have any idea? My bike had its oil changed just over a year ago, it did about 250kms after that and has sat ever since. Is this oil still going to be good or is there an actual reason to care about the x,000km/12 months thing that has been the norm with standard oils?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

How quickly does fully synthetic oil degrade without use (if at all), does anyone have any idea? My bike had its oil changed just over a year ago, it did about 250kms after that and has sat ever since. Is this oil still going to be good or is there an actual reason to care about the x,000km/12 months thing that has been the norm with standard oils?

It has no bearing on the situation, change your oil.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I generally go by mileage/ how hard i use the bike. I probably would change it after a few hundred miles on track but I doubt a year of sitting is going to break it down any more than sitting in a bottle.

Just check the levels and enjoy.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Slavvy posted:

It has no bearing on the situation, change your oil.

Ugh, for real?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Ugh, for real?

Yup for real, the enemy is moisture buildup in the oil from condensation and that doesn't care what kind of oil you've got.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Yup for real, the enemy is moisture buildup in the oil from condensation and that doesn't care what kind of oil you've got.

How much is likely to have built up at this point, do you think? The shortest ride it’s done since that oil change is probably 5kms. The previous rides would have had it well and truly up to operating temp for a decent period of time. The bulk of the kms it has done since the last change we’re on the highway, like 1.5 hour plus trip..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Look. You can change your oil when the manual tells you to, or not. It's impossible to answer this stuff without oil analysis, just spend the fifty bucks goddamn.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Look. You can change your oil when the manual tells you to, or not. It's impossible to answer this stuff without oil analysis, just spend the fifty bucks goddamn.

Yeah, I get it. It’s just a pain in the dick right now.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What's the best way to fix a small cut in seat leather/vinyl before it develops into a big old tear? Rubber glue or something like that?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

What's the best way to fix a small cut in seat leather/vinyl before it develops into a big old tear? Rubber glue or something like that?

Duct tape. And when the edges get all gooey and gross, more duct tape.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah, I get it. It’s just a pain in the dick right now.

It’s up to you. Personally I’d ride it and let it get good and hot to boil off the water. Clearly others wouldn’t. It’s whatever you feel comfortable with personally.

You won’t truly know the state of the oil unless you send it in to like black stone labs but then you may as well just change the oil for the amount of money and time that lab work would take.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

A passing thought I've had a few times, how come after a bike has sat for the winter, "oh you gotta change that oil, it's sat for too long, it's bad now", which I don't disagree with, BUT... aren't there hundreds of thousands of bottles of oil sitting for weeks/months/years at all the retail shops that carry them? How come those aren't all going bad? Because the bottles are sealed? If I plug/cover/seal my exhaust pipes and air intake for the winter, aren't I effectively sealing the oil in the engine?

Same thought, but for batteries. Retail shops don't have hundreds of thousands of batteries on tenders, but it's reaaally important that mine is on one for the winter, which, again, I don't disagree with. But why aren't all those batteries going bad (discharging)? Because they don't "activate" them until you buy them? I've bought batteries where I've had to pour the thing into the other thing and then it starts doing the needful, but I also distinctly remember buying a lead-acid battery from a shop a few years ago and they just handed it over.

epswing fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 23, 2020

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The exhaust and intake should already be covered by your valves, I'd assume the condensation gets in through the crankcase breather, which good luck remembering to uncover that after long term storage.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Renaissance Robot posted:

Puncture repair patch?

e: or ripstop tape, I use it for everything, including a previously torn seat cover. Great stuff

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The exhaust and intake should already be covered by your valves, I'd assume the condensation gets in through the crankcase breather, which good luck remembering to uncover that after long term storage.

That would require storing the bike with the pistons at TDC.

There's also sources that recommend you change your oil BEFORE sitting as otherwise the 'acids' will eat at your engine. I tell myself the 'once a year' rule is to account for only taking short trips, which is different from not using the bike at all.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

High Protein posted:

That would require storing the bike with the pistons at TDC.

You don't throw it on a rear stand, put it in 7th gear, and muscle it into TDC everytime you park it?

gently caress multicylinder bikes

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you're keeping the bike long enough for it to matter, then it's clearly the kind of relationship where the occasional engine rebuild is part of what you signed up for. I'm not saying don't take care of your stuff, but waiting months for that one buyer who appreciates your devout schedule of oil changes and wants to pay you more for it is a false economy, and who cares about a pristine cylinder bore when it's going to end abused by the next or next-next etc guy and end up crashed in a ditch anyway.
What I'm saying is, it doesn't really matter and isn't worth worrying about. If you've got the oil and the time, space, etc, sure, change it. And if you don't because all the stores are shut and everything is on lockdown, don't bother, it's fine either way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

every bike I own tells me when it needs an oil change when the shifting gets clunky. I still track the mileage but the notchy shifting generally occurs before the 3k mike mark

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

every bike I own tells me when it needs an oil change when the shifting gets clunky. I still track the mileage but the notchy shifting generally occurs before the 3k mike mark

yep, same, except the clunky shifting for me is the point of "you've burned another pint, time to top it up again" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epalm posted:

A passing thought I've had a few times, how come after a bike has sat for the winter, "oh you gotta change that oil, it's sat for too long, it's bad now", which I don't disagree with, BUT... aren't there hundreds of thousands of bottles of oil sitting for weeks/months/years at all the retail shops that carry them? How come those aren't all going bad? Because the bottles are sealed? If I plug/cover/seal my exhaust pipes and air intake for the winter, aren't I effectively sealing the oil in the engine?

Same thought, but for batteries. Retail shops don't have hundreds of thousands of batteries on tenders, but it's reaaally important that mine is on one for the winter, which, again, I don't disagree with. But why aren't all those batteries going bad (discharging)? Because they don't "activate" them until you buy them? I've bought batteries where I've had to pour the thing into the other thing and then it starts doing the needful, but I also distinctly remember buying a lead-acid battery from a shop a few years ago and they just handed it over.

You would have to seal off the intake, exhaust and crank breather, unless you have a thumper you'll most likely have a valve hanging open somewhere.

Gel batteries don't go flat on their own and that's usually what you get sold ready to go, if it's got acid cell caps then the shop just filled the electrolyte and charged it for you.

While I'm here: 'synthetic' is a marketing buzzword and means less than nothing, all oils are a complicated blend of stuff and wtf is the difference between synthetic and natural anyway when you're just talking about chains of hydrocarbons?