Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Technically I believe Time Compression and/or the Eighth Umbral Calamity killed (or would have killed) more people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Apropos of nothing I just had the mental image in my head of the whisper harbinger trying to manage the smaller whispers and interpret field reports like the CIA office scenes in Burn After Reading and I can’t loving stop cackling.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean...I guess in some super relative way where you take into consideration all video games ever but it seemed like a very standard My Village Is Destroyed start of RPG.

Is Sector 7 super way bigger in the Remake?
What we see in the game is one tiny part of sector 7 + all the people that live on top. I think President Shinra quotes it in this game at like 50k people, but either way they wipe out 1/8th of a giant megacity

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean...I guess in some super relative way where you take into consideration all video games ever but it seemed like a very standard My Village Is Destroyed start of RPG.

Is Sector 7 super way bigger in the Remake?

Sector 7 Slums was home to 50,000 people. who knows how many made it out, could have been 200, could have been 40000. But the thing no one talks about is the top of the plate was also residential, especially for Jessie's parents. Meaning everyone who lived up top, who DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT, died.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Why would you even make a self-destruct feature like that anyway

Edit: That requires on-site manual operation too

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

Sector 7 Slums was home to 50,000 people. who knows how many made it out, could have been 200, could have been 40000. But the thing no one talks about is the top of the plate was also residential, especially for Jessie's parents. Meaning everyone who lived up top, who DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT, died.

Makes you wonder why the gently caress was dropping a plate was even in the construction to begin with. It kinda...has some dark implications about what Shinra expected they'd have to deal with in the future. Also....didn't Reeve oversee construction of the residential areas? How the hell did this slide?

edit: GODAMMIT CharlieFoxtrot you beat me to it!!!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yea haha. Who even builds that poo poo? Reeves :argh: Maybe he was cosplaying as his fursona and missed the meeting about whether or not to put in that feature.

Trying to imagine a modern building with a self destruct or collapse a segment of it feature built right into it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

so that you can literally crush insurrections

the manual operation is so that if the guy you send to operate it knows too much and you think he's going to make trouble you just not pick him up after he presses it

it's all shinra as gently caress

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A reminder that Shinra HQ itself isn't on an actual plate, but a central pylon the plates are attached to. Everyone on the outside can die and Shinra HQ would keep on trucking.

Also I like how that is a thing to lay on Reeve's feet, rather than sitting in on a meeting where they discussed forcibly breeding a 22 year old girl so they could have a back up in case they killed the original. The plan to kill the poors might not even make the top 5 most evil things Reeve has let slide in his job.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The self-destruct mechanism could also be, to Shinra's eyes, like setting up an old building to collapse on itself (without damaging adjacent buildings) so they can repurpose the lot.

If you look at the design, the plates have gaps between them and removing one would not have impacted the integrity of the others.

Not saying that having the mechanism there isn't hosed up, but if your upper management is as twisted as Shinra's is, having that built-in would be justifiable to them.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mulva posted:

A reminder that Shinra HQ itself isn't on an actual plate, but a central pylon the plates are attached to. Everyone on the outside can die and Shinra HQ would keep on trucking.

Also I like how that is a thing to lay on Reeve's feet, rather than sitting in on a meeting where they discussed forcibly breeding a 22 year old girl so they could have a back up in case they killed the original. The plan to kill the poors might not even make the top 5 most evil things Reeve has let slide in his job.

There has to be some major frog in the pot logic going on at this company for even halfway decent people to try and make sense of why these features were left in.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I think we can all agree that Reeve is a piece of poo poo and that FF7R would improve drastically if he died and the party never recruited Cat poo poo. Instead, we recruit Andrea Rhodea.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Wasn't Reeve the one who actually discovered how to produce Mako and designed the reactors? Shinra was a weapons manufacturer before that poo poo changed the game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

I think we can all agree that Reeve is a piece of poo poo and that FF7R would improve drastically if he died and the party never recruited Cat poo poo. Instead, we recruit Andrea Rhodea.

Now I want to see an Andi limit break be a dance-off complete with minigame timed button presses.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

guts and bolts posted:

https://i.imgur.com/w7buUWF.mp4

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Caidin posted:

Wasn't Reeve the one who actually discovered how to produce Mako and designed the reactors? Shinra was a weapons manufacturer before that poo poo changed the game.

He was an architect who designed the reactors, yeah. And I'd be perfectly happy if they went with the original idea, where he had the ability to bring inanimate objects to life. People still get Cait Sith, *and* they can kill the Quisling.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

If you take the time to watch the dance number instead of stressing about getting those 28 Perfect grades every time, you'll be struck chiefly by one thing:

Cloud is a really loving good dancer

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

If you take the time to watch the dance number instead of stressing about getting those 28 Perfect grades every time, you'll be struck chiefly by one thing:

Cloud is a really loving good dancer

But the big question is: where did he learn those cash money moves?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Flopsy posted:

But the big question is: where did he learn those cash money moves?

Probably not much to do for entertainment in a test tube for 4 years but work on your steps.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

The true burning question is why would he lie about having hips that straight up don't lie. Barret invites the crew to a dance party during the second bombing mission and Cloud's all "I don't dance." THE gently caress YOU DON'T, BUDDY

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Caidin posted:

Probably not much to do for entertainment in a test tube for 4 years but work on your steps.

Now I want a scene where Hojo is taking notes while Cloud/Zack get their groove on in the Mako tubes.

guts and bolts posted:

The true burning question is why would he lie about having hips that straight up don't lie. Barret invites the crew to a dance party during the second bombing mission and Cloud's all "I don't dance." THE gently caress YOU DON'T, BUDDY

Between Barret and Andi, I'd rather dance with Andi too.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

anakha posted:

Now I want a scene where Hojo is taking notes while Cloud/Zack get their groove on in the Mako tubes.

"Mm yes, now switch to Beyonce's Single Ladies I want to see how the specimens respond."

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 21, 2020

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

I imagined they evacuated the topside residents out and left the plebs on the bottom in the dark

Unless I'm mis-remembering and they're blaming the Sector 7 Collapse on Avalanche/Wutai, in which chase yeah Jessie's parents are probably dead too

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sephiroth should have interrupted the Honeybee Inn sequence and turn it into a dance fight.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

I imagined they evacuated the topside residents out and left the plebs on the bottom in the dark

Unless I'm mis-remembering and they're blaming the Sector 7 Collapse on Avalanche/Wutai, in which chase yeah Jessie's parents are probably dead too

Nah, Reeve was trying to wrangle an evacuation alert out of President Shrinra before the whole thing went down and no dice. Hell more people probably got out of the Slums then plateside.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

God I hate that twat.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Goddamnit, we were going to have Midgar Specials at Jessie's place and eat ourselves stupid after saving Sector 7 :negative:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

As an NBA fan, I got more annoyed at the pronunciation of Kyrie's name.

The whole fake news peddling is sadly too prevalent where I live for it to have much emotional impact anymore.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The funny thing is that I was impressed they went with the Greek pronunciation of the name considering there's another Nomura character named Kairi

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

anakha posted:

As an NBA fan, I got more annoyed at the pronunciation of Kyrie's name.

The whole fake news peddling is sadly too prevalent where I live for it to have much emotional impact anymore.

AND THE POINT GUARD FOR YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR NEW JERSEY... NETS! Nets! nets nets

KEEEEEEEEEREEE-AY...... IRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRVINNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've started replaying FFX and now I'm thinking about how often this series likes to go back to the same setting element/thematic well repeatedly in successive entries in the series. For like the whole PS1 era into the PS2 era, every installment in the main Final Fantasy series had a ton of stuff about memories being passed on after you die, an afterlife where souls return to the planet (and are potentially reborn), and even two of them have either that afterlife or a byproduct of it used to power technology (VII with mako and IX with mist) and possibly also giving rise to monsters (VII and IX's mako and mist monsters, and X's fiends). VII and X also share the idea of memory and power being stored in crystal orbs that are ubiquitous and come in both naturally-occurring and manufactured forms.

After FFX, a lot of those themes fell away, but from then onward the series has really loved to dive into the concept of destiny. FFXII tackled it with the Occuria (incidentally I'm gonna do an effortpost at some point about the similarities between the Occuria and the Whispers and how the Whispers small-scale chumps compared to the Occuria), XIII with the l'Cie and fal'Cie, XV with the gods and Noctis's doomed fate, and now VIIR with the Whispers and the planet's will.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder if apprehension about the ending and direction the remake is taking is proportional to how familiar you are with the original FF7

I've never played FF7, but know the general synopsis from internet osmosis, and I'm immensely interested in seeing where story goes from here on out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wonder if apprehension about the ending and direction the remake is taking is proportional to how familiar you are with the original FF7

I've never played FF7, but know the general synopsis from internet osmosis, and I'm immensely interested in seeing where story goes from here on out

Weirdly a lot of the more "big name" people on the internet who are the most positive about the ending are people who are to one degree or another mega-fans of the original. But like Tim Rogers and the streamer Maximilian Dood are both deeply in love with the original FF7 and are stoked about the remake, even including the ending.

That's not what I expected, which is why I noticed it, I think. I figured the more attached you were to the original, the more you'd hate FF7R's ending, but I guess there's more going on than that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I absolutely love FF7 and had zero interest in this game until I popped in here when people started getting it early and were posting about the time ghosts. I probably wouldn't have bothered playing this game until at least maybe it was on deep discount, if it was just a straight up remake

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

I've started replaying FFX and now I'm thinking about how often this series likes to go back to the same setting element/thematic well repeatedly in successive entries in the series. For like the whole PS1 era into the PS2 era, every installment in the main Final Fantasy series had a ton of stuff about memories being passed on after you die, an afterlife where souls return to the planet (and are potentially reborn), and even two of them have either that afterlife or a byproduct of it used to power technology (VII with mako and IX with mist) and possibly also giving rise to monsters (VII and IX's mako and mist monsters, and X's fiends). VII and X also share the idea of memory and power being stored in crystal orbs that are ubiquitous and come in both naturally-occurring and manufactured forms.

After FFX, a lot of those themes fell away, but from then onward the series has really loved to dive into the concept of destiny. FFXII tackled it with the Occuria (incidentally I'm gonna do an effortpost at some point about the similarities between the Occuria and the Whispers and how the Whispers small-scale chumps compared to the Occuria), XIII with the l'Cie and fal'Cie, XV with the gods and Noctis's doomed fate, and now VIIR with the Whispers and the planet's will.

VENAT IS A HERETIC

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've played the original several times over in the past decade, and I'm excited about where things will go next.

I'm firmly in the camp that a remake that just sticks to the original general storyline would be a letdown, and that the uncertainty of how the storyline will progress in the next installment makes me more emotionally invested in the eventual outcome.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

anakha posted:

I've played the original several times over in the past decade, and I'm excited about where things will go next.

I'm firmly in the camp that a remake that just sticks to the original general storyline would be a letdown, and that the uncertainty of how the storyline will progress in the next installment makes me more emotionally invested in the eventual outcome.

We were talking earlier how we're at a point where almost any fan theory is possible and it's both thrilling and terrifying.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

I mentioned this just yesterday but FFXV is unique in that it has a Pro Destiny message. This has been absent since like, FF3 where the Crystals chose their fated warriors to save the world. Since then it's been a lot of Fighting Fate. FFXIII even had a song titled that.

FFXV alone says that Fate is pretty cool, if tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

VENAT IS A HERETIC

Y'know now that you mention Venat there are more parallels between the Occuria and Whispers than I originally thought. It goes right down to the games ending with you giving the villain what they want--throwing off the shackles of predestination either by destroying the Sun Cryst in FFXII or the Whisper Harbinger in VIIR--but believing that it was the right thing to do anyway because freedom is worth the risk.

Edit: Wait poo poo FFXIII ends like that, too! You kill Orphan--exactly what it wants--in the hopes that it's worth the risk. (It does this a lot more clumsily than either XII or VIIR, though.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 21, 2020