Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Reminder that while Reeve is in charge of Urban Planning, he's only in his 30's. He likely wasn't involved in the actual construction of Midgar. Speaking of which, how long has Midgar been built for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

anakha posted:

I've played the original several times over in the past decade, and I'm excited about where things will go next.

I'm firmly in the camp that a remake that just sticks to the original general storyline would be a letdown, and that the uncertainty of how the storyline will progress in the next installment makes me more emotionally invested in the eventual outcome.

Yeah same on both points. Final Fantasy is my favorite game series of all time and 7 is probably my favorite game in the series. I absolutely love the remake and can't wait to play the next part

The implication that you're not a Real Fan if you don't hate the ending loving sucks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I mentioned this just yesterday but FFXV is unique in that it has a Pro Destiny message. This has been absent since like, FF3 where the Crystals chose their fated warriors to save the world. Since then it's been a lot of Fighting Fate. FFXIII even had a song titled that.

FFXV alone says that Fate is pretty cool, if tragic.

Yeah, that's true. Really there's a lot that's unique and potentially cool about XV that just gets buried under its utter development nightmare leading to a really chopped-up, unfinished story experience. It's such a weird and rad setting in a lot of ways but you never really get to explore many of its core ideas, which is a shame.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Veib posted:

The implication that you're not a Real Fan if you don't hate the ending loving sucks

Yeah that attitude is toxic af

And the timeghosts were basically what tipped me over from being on the fence to grabbing the game day one. I don't have a pressing need to see "OG FF7 but prettier," it would've been nice but not anything rocking my world.

But the possibility that the story could change from this point on? That's genuinely intriguing and exciting.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
As an adult I've tried to form more complete opinions on why I like the stuff I like, chasing that impossible standard of "objective criticism," or the closest thing you can do to it (really even-handed criticism? well-reasoned criticism?), and as a result of this I have like a weird brain split. I don't believe I should like FF7 as much as I do, and I think I'm pretty cognizant of the nostalgia at play in determining why I love it so much, but even-handed and well-reasoned or not (not), Final Fantasy VII is probably my favorite game of all time, or at least in the conversation with such titles as Metal Gear Solid, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Devil May Cry 3. I bring you all of this pointless setup and qualifying because I love FF7 on a level that I can't really explain without sounding foolish, and I have loved it for two decades.

I would absolutely have played a faithful recreation of the original story in an HD engine with this new battle system and had a goddamn blast. It would have been comforting, even, to do so. But the new direction the sub-series is headed in definitely stokes this kind of anticipation of the unknown that I haven't really felt for a long time. I'm a pretty hardcore stan for FF7 and I loving loved FF7R and its ending. I think that finding hardcore fans who feel the same way isn't as unlikely as you might expect.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pure speculation: Aerith's speech in Chapter 18 about taking on Fate might also be covering up her 'selfish' want to survive because while she knows letting Fate have its way will result in a pyrrhic victory for the Planet, she's all 'gently caress that, I want to live'.

Paying the price of that decision and living with the consequences is what I'm looking forward to seeing in the next installments.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can totally understand the people who wanted "OG FF7 but prettier and expanded" even if I'm willing to give a new direction a shot. I felt genuinely emotional at seeing some of the more memorable, more affecting scenes from the original portrayed with as much humanity as this remake did. Seeing the rest of the game like that wouldn't have disappointed me one bit and there were parts I was really looking forward to seeing reimagined and brought to new life. (And a lot of them might still be--if there's one thing I think we can take away from this remake it's that they at least know what things people really, really want to see and don't want to disappoint us.)

I also think it's worth noting almost everyone seems on board with the smaller-scale changes in the remake, like the redone Wall Market, expanded roles for Avalanche including a new chapter focusing on them, and things like that, so I don't think it's just "all change is bad, either."

But again, I'm willing to give this a shot, and I can understand as well why people are more stoked about things potentially taking really big turns than I am, too.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

As an adult I've tried to form more complete opinions on why I like the stuff I like, chasing that impossible standard of "objective criticism," or the closest thing you can do to it (really even-handed criticism? well-reasoned criticism?), and as a result of this I have like a weird brain split. I don't believe I should like FF7 as much as I do, and I think I'm pretty cognizant of the nostalgia at play in determining why I love it so much, but even-handed and well-reasoned or not (not), Final Fantasy VII is probably my favorite game of all time, or at least in the conversation with such titles as Metal Gear Solid, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Devil May Cry 3. I bring you all of this pointless setup and qualifying because I love FF7 on a level that I can't really explain without sounding foolish, and I have loved it for two decades.

I would absolutely have played a faithful recreation of the original story in an HD engine with this new battle system and had a goddamn blast. It would have been comforting, even, to do so. But the new direction the sub-series is headed in definitely stokes this kind of anticipation of the unknown that I haven't really felt for a long time. I'm a pretty hardcore stan for FF7 and I loving loved FF7R and its ending. I think that finding hardcore fans who feel the same way isn't as unlikely as you might expect.

I feel this way about Okami to the point I choke up and cry during the opening sequence. A large part of it has to do with playing it for the first time to cope with the grief of losing my first dog. Playing the game through as Ammy kind made me feel like I was making the journey with my dog and when she returned to the heavenly plane it felt like coming to terms with her death.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Onmi posted:

Reminder that while Reeve is in charge of Urban Planning, he's only in his 30's. He likely wasn't involved in the actual construction of Midgar. Speaking of which, how long has Midgar been built for?

I wondered this throughout the game as well, since there's no mention of anyone before President Shinra, but Midgar also seems like it has to be 30-40 years old, but not much older than that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I just thought of something: when Vincent gets to join as a party member, do you think there would be any reference to Dirge of Cerberus, movewise? That was a third person action game, right?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

I just thought of something: when Vincent gets to join as a party member, do you think there would there be any reference to Dirge of Cerberus, movewise? That was a third person action game, right?

Please no.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really curious if his transformations will be a limit break, his triangle move, or his weapon abilities (assuming that system makes a return in the sequel).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

edit: misread

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious if his transformations will be a limit break, his triangle move, or his weapon abilities (assuming that system makes a return in the sequel).

Gotta be his limit break since making it a triangle move or tying it to a weapon kinda cheapens the transformation IMO.

What I'm more curious about is whether the transformations will be controllable or not.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Onmi posted:

There’s a point in the slums where a old guy (voice reads like his 70s) is talking about the construction of midgar and how it was initially just a cluster of villages that Shinra built on top of, so I would be shocked if its been around for anything less than 20-30 years.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Y'know earlier in the thread somebody mentioned Sephiroth possibly not being the endgame villain since at the edge of creation he weirdly genuinely asks Cloud for his help and lets him go even when he loses. I'm really not 100% sure this is the case. But if it in fact were, who would be the endgame villain? My guess would be some combination of Hojo and or Jenova. Hojo is without a doubt the most loathsome character in the game and all the problems the characters (including Sephiroth!) are dealing with are from him loving around. While Jenova herself is literally a world devouring eldritch abomination from deep space he has a major hard on for. I can see it being very cathartic to players if these two were maneuvered into endgame boss positions.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

anakha posted:

Gotta be his limit break since making it a triangle move or tying it to a weapon kinda cheapens the transformation IMO.

What I'm more curious about is whether the transformations will be controllable or not.

They wont be Limit Breaks. I see them being his Triangle. I see his Triangle being a very firm Mode Switch that changes Vincent from Ranged Gunplay to Melee.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Flopsy posted:

I feel this way about Okami to the point I choke up and cry during the opening sequence. A large part of it has to do with playing it for the first time to cope with the grief of losing my first dog. Playing the game through as Ammy kind made me feel like I was making the journey with my dog and when she returned to the heavenly plane it felt like coming to terms with her death.

That's a touching story, I won't lie. Appreciated. And I think everyone has a game, or movie, or a book that they got to at the right time so that it was a formative experience and kinda shaped... maybe not so drastic as who they are as people, but certainly what they like in fiction at least.

I think I've told this story on SA before so I'll keep it short: Growing up my family was pretty loving poor and I lived in section 8 housing with my dad and two brothers. I had been asking him to get me a Sega Genesis for like three years as a Christmas present and that was just never in the cards, and I was a kid so I was resentful even though looking back on it I know my dad was working himself half to death. The Genesis was basically at the end of its lifespan, so I stopped asking for it, and instead I decided to shoot my shot: I wanted a PlayStation, and I asked for that and Final Fantasy VII based solely on the reception it got in GameFan, a magazine that my friend had a subscription to and he would let me read the older issues after he was done with them. I'm probably showing my age here but whatever. The GameFan review for FF7 described it as beyond superlative, "quite possibly the greatest game ever made" (which made the NA box art as a pull quote IIRC) and "the closest thing to perfection" in the medium. I was sold because I was kid and if you tell me a game is literally perfect, well, I want it.

So Christmas happened and my dad somehow pulled through and got me both Final Fantasy VII and a PlayStation, and I drat near lost my mind. There is like old cassette-tape footage he took of me opening the box and flipping the gently caress out; I think it's still in our hope chest. I spent the first two hours trying to figure out how to hook it up until I grudgingly admitted I needed help, and then I booted up FF7 and immediately had my little mind loving blown.

The only good part of this story is that I had only ever played Super Nintendo and Genesis games, typically at my friends' houses or at my cousin's house, and I had no idea what a Memory Card was or how it was supposed to work, so I spent - this is true - my first thirty plus or so hours playing FF7 without ever being able to save. (We did not own a Memory Card for the first I wanna say two months of owning the PSX.) I would beg my dad to leave the PlayStation running and to just change the channel to TV so I could keep my progress. Every time I got a Game Over, which I did because I was kid, I had to start the entire loving game over. I remember dying to Hundred/HeliGunner and crying about having to start over. I got killed by Demon Wall and, yep, started over. I have probably beaten the majority of the first disc of OG FF7 like literally more than forty times as a result.

I loving love FF7. Remake still owns.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 21, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"So what? Screw him." Aerith, re: Sephiroth

Edit: lol gently caress Sephiroth used octoslash on aerith :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 21, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Onmi posted:

They wont be Limit Breaks. I see them being his Triangle. I see his Triangle being a very firm Mode Switch that changes Vincent from Ranged Gunplay to Melee.

Making the transformation switchable seems weird to me because part of his pathos is struggling to keep the monsters inside from breaking out. Making it switchable heavily implies they are controllable, and that's a major reworking of his character and backstory.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

That's a touching story, I won't lie. Appreciated. And I think everyone has a game, or movie, or a book that they got to at the right time so that it was a formative experience and kinda shaped... maybe not so drastic as who they are as people, but certainly what they like in fiction at least.

I think I've told this story on SA before so I'll keep it short: Growing up my family was pretty loving poor and I lived in section 8 housing with my dad and two brothers. I had been asking him to get me a Sega Genesis for like three years as a Christmas present and that was just never in the cards, and I was a kid so I was resentful even though looking back on it I know my dad was working himself half to death. The Genesis was basically at the end of its lifespan, so I stopped asking for it, and instead I decided to shoot my shot: I wanted a PlayStation, and I asked for that and Final Fantasy VII based solely on the reception it got in GameFan, a magazine that my friend had a subscription to and he would let me read the older issues after he was done with them. I'm probably showing my age here but whatever. The GameFan review for FF7 described it as beyond superlative, "quite possibly the greatest game ever made" (which made the NA box art as a pull quote IIRC) and "the closest thing to perfection" in the medium. I was sold because I was kid and if you tell me a game is literally perfect, well, I want it.

So Christmas happened and my dad somehow pulled through and got me both Final Fantasy VII and a PlayStation, and I drat near lost my mind. There is like old cassette-tape footage he took of me opening the box and flipping the gently caress out; I think it's still in our hope chest. I spent the first two hours trying to figure out how to hook it up until I grudgingly admitted I needed help, and then I booted up FF7 and immediately had my little mind loving blown.

The only good part of this story is that I had only ever played Super Nintendo and Genesis games, typically at my friends' houses or at my cousin's house, and I had no idea what a Memory Card was or how it was supposed to work, so I spent - this is true - my first thirty plus or so hours playing FF7 without ever being able to save. (We did not own a Memory Card for the first I wanna say two months of owning the PSX.) I would beg my dad to leave the PlayStation running and to just change the channel to TV so I could keep my progress. Every time I got a Game Over, which I did because I was kid, I had to start the entire loving game over. I remember dying to Hundred/HeliGunner and crying about having to start over. I got killed by Demon Wall and, yep, started over. I have probably beaten the majority of the first disc of OG FF7 like literally more than forty times as a result.

I loving love FF7. Remake still owns.

Holy poo poo my dude. Thats intense.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Yeah goddamn

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Flopsy posted:

I didn't mean to be a bummer, so my bad. I always remember that story fondly because it was also the first time my dad seemed to not poo-poo my interest in computers or video games. He seemed bewildered but happy that I was so into this game, and used to tape the NFL games instead of watching them live so that I could keep playing until it was time for bed. I have incredibly fond memories of that time in my life and they are inextricable from Final Fantasy VII, so especially now that I'm stuck working from home in a quarantine it's like both FF7 and FF7R happened at these periods where other than a scant few obligations I have basically nothing I need to do except play the poo poo out of these games.

I also learned some funny tricks when playing OG FF7; this is a :siren:deep cut:siren: but did you know that if you opened the disc tray while the game was running, you would still regain health from Regen ticking up, but the rest of the game would stay soft-locked? That is actually how I beat Demon Wall the first time, literally by cheating with the hardware.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

I had no idea what a Memory Card was or how it was supposed to work, so I spent - this is true - my first thirty plus or so hours playing FF7 without ever being able to save. (We did not own a Memory Card for the first I wanna say two months of owning the PSX.) I would beg my dad to leave the PlayStation running and to just change the channel to TV so I could keep my progress. Every time I got a Game Over, which I did because I was kid, I had to start the entire loving game over. I remember dying to Hundred/HeliGunner and crying about having to start over. I got killed by Demon Wall and, yep, started over. I have probably beaten the majority of the first disc of OG FF7 like literally more than forty times as a result.

loving same

I actually have no real concept of how long Midgar is supposed to be because I basically had to speedrun through various parts of it loads of times because I either died and had to start over or I had to turn the PS1 off. People recently saying that Midgar is like, 10 hours is confusing as hell to me because I very clearly remember that the first time I actually got to outside of Midgar the game time was at like, 3 hours, because I'd died in the Shinra building a couple of times before that point and just sprinted through the entire thing to get back to it(I actually managed to die to Rufus once somehow).

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

I didn't mean to be a bummer, so my bad. I always remember that story fondly because it was also the first time my dad seemed to not poo-poo my interest in computers or video games. He seemed bewildered but happy that I was so into this game, and used to tape the NFL games instead of watching them live so that I could keep playing until it was time for bed. I have incredibly fond memories of that time in my life and they are inextricable from Final Fantasy VII, so especially now that I'm stuck working from home in a quarantine it's like both FF7 and FF7R happened at these periods where other than a scant few obligations I have basically nothing I need to do except play the poo poo out of these games.

I also learned some funny tricks when playing OG FF7; this is a :siren:deep cut:siren: but did you know that if you opened the disc tray while the game was running, you would still regain health from Regen ticking up, but the rest of the game would stay soft-locked? That is actually how I beat Demon Wall the first time, literally by cheating with the hardware.

No, no don't misunderstand! I say that out of sheer admiration to your dedication! Sorry if that didn't come across so good. You're loving amazing.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

cock hero flux posted:

loving same

I actually have no real concept of how long Midgar is supposed to be because I basically had to speedrun through various parts of it loads of times because I either died and had to start over or I had to turn the PS1 off. People recently saying that Midgar is like, 10 hours is confusing as hell to me because I very clearly remember that the first time I actually got to outside of Midgar the game time was at like, 3 hours, because I'd died in the Shinra building a couple of times before that point and just sprinted through the entire thing to get back to it(I actually managed to die to Rufus once somehow).

My man I know how you feel. Midgar for me is either like 3 hours or like 20, depending on what I'm trying to do. I learned that Grenades loving own and that normal enemies rapidly become bigger threats than bosses. I learned, loosely, how to power level your Limits, and when you jump from the train before the second bombing mission you can, like, go the wrong way? And there is this screen where if you try to proceed south some Shinra dudes will always spawn to attack you. And I would just stay there, with my party, killing guys and spamming Limit Breaks until I would for-real have Climhazzard for Airbuster. I used to be like "better safe than sorry, I better keep grinding levels" so I had loving Finishing Touch by the time you have the showdown with Rufus. And then that run would end with me getting killed by Midgarzolom because I was arrogant, and then I'd be like "gently caress this" and speed through the game in 3 hours throwing Grenades at anything that looked at me funny until I got back out of Midgar.

e:
a funny post-script is that when I was able to procure a copy of Final Fantasy VIII I would employ my tried-and-true tactics of just leveling to the point of comedic overpoweredness to deal with challenges in the game, and in FF8 particularly this is perhaps the worst possible thing you can do to yourself

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 21, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh man this game must have one of the top ten all time implementations of dynamic reactive soundtracks, that fight was phenomenal

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Flopsy posted:

No, no don't misunderstand! I say that out of sheer admiration to your dedication! Sorry if that didn't come across so good. You're loving amazing.

Thanks, man! It's one of those artifacts of being a pre-teen right as the PSX was becoming a big Thing. In retrospect it should have been obvious that something was wrong when I would come across big honkin' SAVE POINTS that apparently did not do anything, but I was thirsty for more Final Fantasy and the internet wasn't really a thing yet, at least at my house, so I literally just took the attitude of gently caress it, I'll figure that out later, how do I beat this goddamn wall

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh man this game must have one of the top ten all time implementations of dynamic reactive soundtracks, that fight was phenomenal

The consensus among streamers, reviewers and the general playerbase has been that the music implementation for this game has been pretty loving good.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

anakha posted:

The consensus among streamers, reviewers and the general playerbase has been that the music implementation for this game has been pretty loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpNkx2uXLY

yeah this game's dynamic soundtrack is alright i guess

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

anakha posted:

As an NBA fan, I got more annoyed at the pronunciation of Kyrie's name.

The whole fake news peddling is sadly too prevalent where I live for it to have much emotional impact anymore.

I did really like one bit of NPC dialogue where they were talking about how they had made easy money and all they had to do was go on TV and talk crap about Avalanche.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know it's shorthand but lol that the Whispers were affecting what Stamp looked like

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the ending was super cool and i am genuinely excited to see what happens next. my personal prediction is it will largely be the same story beats instead of going off the rails, but with some minor alterations here and there as they try to change destiny. and also, that aerith survives? i think aerith is going to live... but i genuinely am not sure, and that is why the ending is so interesting to me, it adds this layer of uncertainty that would not otherwise be there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know it's shorthand but lol that the Whispers were affecting what Stamp looked like

The most egregious change of them all

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpNkx2uXLY

yeah this game's dynamic soundtrack is alright i guess

I felt that shift 5 minutes into the track in my soul.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Aeris will live, but at a terrible cost... The life of one CAIT SITH! Bet you feel pretty awful now, don't y-- no come on...

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

the ending was super cool and i am genuinely excited to see what happens next. my personal prediction is it will largely be the same story beats instead of going off the rails, but with some minor alterations here and there as they try to change destiny. and also, that aerith survives? i think aerith is going to live... but i genuinely am not sure, and that is why the ending is so interesting to me, it adds this layer of uncertainty that would not otherwise be there.

I figure it's gonna be like a sort of rhythm to it kinda thing. Like two or three story beats in a row will be mostly the same, and then we make it to Junon and Vincent is there picking a fight with the Turks and we have to intervene. Then yadda yadda, same story beats for a bit, and then Dyne is alive and Corel is prospering, and the party is faced with the decision as to whether or not to even tell him that Barret has his kid because Dyne's got a certain edge to him like he might snap and murder our buddy. Yadda yadda we get to Nibelheim and in this continuity Shinra never rebuilt it, so it's still a smoking ruin for Cloud and Tifa to pick over while they come to grips with everything they've lost. Yadda yadda Temple of the Ancients but Cloud leaves the party and then he's a boss fight in City of the Ancients while the party scrambles to find a way to incapacitate and not kill their friend except he's got anime superpowers.

That sort of thing.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Aeris will live, but at a terrible cost... The life of one CAIT SITH! Bet you feel pretty awful now, don't y-- no come on...

if aerith survived because cait sith jumped out of nowhere and made a heroic sacrifice to save her i would be reaching for the seinfeld theme so fast

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Veib posted:

Yeah same on both points. Final Fantasy is my favorite game series of all time and 7 is probably my favorite game in the series. I absolutely love the remake and can't wait to play the next part

THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT. So much discourse about this game elsewhere on the internet just goes to pitch black toxic negativity immediately, and that "You have to hate the ending because NOMURA and KINGDOM HEARTS" thing is a huge part of it.

Personally, I loved the ending! The characters were delightful the whole way through (especially Aerith, who I frankly didn't care for much in the original and is my standout favorite in the Remake) and the weird way it goes about saying that its story has unknown avenues and twists we won't see coming was exciting, at least to me. And really, since so many members of the original team came back for this and the writing and characterizations were genuinely good, I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt. I want to see what weird bullshit they pull off for part two!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

I figure it's gonna be like a sort of rhythm to it kinda thing. Like two or three story beats in a row will be mostly the same, and then we make it to Junon and Vincent is there picking a fight with the Turks and we have to intervene. Then yadda yadda, same story beats for a bit, and then Dyne is alive and Corel is prospering, and the party is faced with the decision as to whether or not to even tell him that Barret has his kid because Dyne's got a certain edge to him like he might snap and murder our buddy. Yadda yadda we get to Nibelheim and in this continuity Shinra never rebuilt it, so it's still a smoking ruin for Cloud and Tifa to pick over while they come to grips with everything they've lost. Yadda yadda Temple of the Ancients but Cloud leaves the party and then he's a boss fight in City of the Ancients while the party scrambles to find a way to incapacitate and not kill their friend except he's got anime superpowers.

That sort of thing.

I do wonder how exactly they're going to approach Vincent willingly putting himself in an angst coma. If I had to take a guess they'll change it to Hojo put him in there himself so it's not quite so...I dunno odd?