Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gaunab posted:

So my office is apparently looking to adjust things back to normal by next week and I don't know how to feel about that.

Ours sent out an email that they'll be updating us as to re-opening as the restrictions are eased as if the state's stay at home order isn't going to be extended past May 4.

Probably a bad sign when your CEO sends a video out of the guy who lied about invented email claiming Fauci pushed the "myth" that HIV causes AIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

friendbot2000 posted:

I have been part of the Club since I was 12, my eldest cousin was bipolar and had an episode in which he believed his family was better off with him dead...he was wrong. We still feel his loss. I am no stranger to suicide and it's why I took classes in intervention and spotting the signs. I didn't want anyone to feel the pain my family felt having to bury my cousin. I try to keep my mind off the pain with volunteering and GMing a Starfinder Campaign that we are making into a podcast because we are dumb nerds. Wifebot is keen to make sure I practice self-care. I won't despair though. My friends would be disappointed in me if I did.

They really were heroes. Mr. Rogers was right "We should always look for the helpers."

I feel you. So sorry. It never really goes away, does it? It gets better. But it never really goes away.

:glomp:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reminder that VA policy is currently being set by one of Trump's Mar A Lago members.

I would kinda like to know who has the authority to order drug trials with the VA.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Final update?

https://twitter.com/GrahamUlkins/status/1252622050268786689

quote:

A Louisiana pastor who has defied state orders against large gatherings was arrested on Tuesday for allegedly backing his church bus dangerously close to a protester.

Tony Spell of Life Tabernacle Church in the city of Central, near Baton Rouge, was charged with aggravated assault in connection to the incident that was caught on tape, police said. Spell, wearing a suit and tie, was handcuffed as he turned himself in Tuesday morning.

Central police chief Roger Corcoran said local authorities are trying to enforce the law and insisted that Spell isn’t being denied his freedom to practice religion.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jarmak posted:

My ex-wife's parents easily have 9-figure net worth and for whatever disagreements we might have had they 100% loved all their kids and would do anything for them.

I'm not saying you don't know people otherwise or that they don't exist. I'm not even saying speaking directly to the cases you have intimate knowledge is wrong.

I'm saying that is a hosed up thing to generalize about. Don't generalize that entire classes of people hate their children, just don't.

edit: miscounted my zeroes, I would say they easily have 8-figure

I'm basing this off of my own experience and from talking to a substantial number of other people who worked for the ultra-rich and that's why I specify the ultra wealthy. There's something that just breaks in people at a certain really extreme level of wealth both in terms of what drives people to unceasingly pursue more money than even 4 generations of your family could ever need, as well as from the actual experience of going through life utterly insulated from irritations and totally sheltered from uncertainty. By nature, that level of wealth self-selects some people who only have on priority in life and no that priority is not children.

I'm genuinely glad you had the good fortune to meet some rich people who were decent parents who weren't ruined by their financial situation, that's awesome. They also aren't representative of people who have literally spent their entire lives pursuing wealth accumulation. Some rich people are entirely decent wonderful people who were just successful and who still have decent values. Sounds like your exes family falls in that category. The ultra rich, even if they're friendly, and hell, even if they did care about their kids, are loving parasites.

No one at all becomes that rich without putting money before every single other thing in their life.

btw the 'tell me about being rich' thread had some really interesting stuff in it
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903303

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 21, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kale posted:

It's easy to maintain this sort of narrative and perspective when your just kind of constantly reinventing reality around it. It's like those Gamergater types that show up for every major upcoming video game insisting that "SJWs" are going to come out of the woodwork to censor and gently caress up a game as an excuse to just flood the zone with poo poo and whine about stuff to shift the narrative on it into a mostly political one. Any moment now those "SJWs" will be here to try to ruin our favorite entertainment for us......just about any moment now....meanwhile I'll just keep bleating off this "counter-narrative" when there's literally no currently established one out there because I literally just made a straw man one up for convenience sake in order to shitpost effectively.

This is one of the most annoying things about the current social media dynamic and world view of honestly far too many people nowadays. What is essentially pre-bitching about and making up what I call a "pitched battle" situation as a pretext for saying some of the stupidest mind blowing divisive bullshit I've ever heard in my life and effectively arguing against a supposed powerful and influential bloc of people that don't even really exist the way the narratives insist they do. Like it's just so loving easy to build a media and reality bubble and create unnecessary polarization and extremist viewpoints if you just get to constantly do that without being challenged anywhere near enough to prove the existence of a supposedly ultra PC anti-free speech narrative and agenda that both actually exists in popular media and is in desperate need of countering.

I think the problem therein is you rarely see a direct clash of actual existing and widespread believed in narratives wherein ultimately most people are forced to compare and contrast the stated arguments and "facts" and decide for good which ones are real and which ones are bullshit and to discard the latter for good which is usually how it's supposed to go. It's usually just a whole lot of posturing and sticking to media and demographic bubbles while occasionally sniping and a whole lot of making up what a supposed opposition is even saying such that it just perpetually goes on and on with no end in sight as the bullshit just keeps piling up on top of itself.

This is why I feel like while getting rid of Trump and his cabinet in November would improve the efficiency of the US Federal Government, a lot of the bullshit and narrativism you see surrounding politics globally that allows people like him to keep getting elected is here to stay and nothing is getting sorted out until there's a real direct sort of world wide dialogue on what should be a commonly held set of facts once and for all.

Speaking to that first part, and going back to what you said earlier, I saw a “prominent” Gamergater (which is a sad thing to see/saw in Two Thousand and Twenty Anno Domini) today frothingly arguing that SJWs have ruined the purity of the original Final Fantasy VII by forcing in a radical pro-environment, anti-capitalist political message into its remake that was CLEARLY never there in the original.

And I’m sitting back going “Do you have objects orbiting around you, by chance? Because you’ve gotta have your own gravity well at this point if you’re THAT goddamn dense.” :psyduck:

You’re completely right, to these people The Bubble is everything and it is utterly impenetrable.

Kale
May 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

The Kim Jong un stuff is almost certainly bullshit, the West basically uncritically repeats what sk tabloids say

It's legitimately terrifying to me how many every day people just believe anything they read that sounds sensational enough without even cross comparing it with other sources to see if there's an existing real world narrative and situation that's basis for it all. Like what a golden age for tabloids and conspiracy theorist wack jobs. There's a guy I work with that literally just immediately believes any crazy wacky conspiracy being pushed on the internet. Like it doesn't matter what it is, where it's coming from or what evidence there is, if it exists and especially if Joe Rogan has the guy on his show to talk about he just out and out believes in it and tries to talk to people at work about it to get their opinions but also try to convince them of it. Like I can see considering conspiracy theories a matter of curiosity and coming at them from that perspective, but the just IMMEDIATELY believing in it thing based on pure hearsay thing and knowing that he's far from the only person that absorbs and vets (or really not at all) information that way concerns me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tarx2BDR4L0

Like straight up this is a non-insignificant group of people's outlook on the world nowadays.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1252646377827586049

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

good on them for not giving into his "martyr" bullshit.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ITS MY RIGHT TO BE TESTED.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I feel bad for those kids who did nothing wrong and were exposed to this virus by someone being a selfish idiot. That selfish idiot on the other hand should go to jail for child endangerment.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/babadookspinoza/status/1252641758829146112

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1252378550734172166

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1252612719150161921

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1252614547950768128

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

But what about the Piss Tape?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Angry_Ed posted:

I feel bad for those kids who did nothing wrong and were exposed to this virus by someone being a selfish idiot. That selfish idiot on the other hand should go to jail for child endangerment.

I really wish all of these idiots taking their children to these rallies or doing stuff like this gets CPS called on them. It is absolutely child endangerment. I was looking at the picture a page or two ago of the woman wearing a mask and get sons next to her holding signs as well with no mask or PPE. Shameful.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

not shocked. the senate probably hates trump, like sure they wont impeach him because they are ghouls who love their gravy train but they will throw him under the bus in other ways.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does the US really have the highest rate of single parenthood in the world? That might be worth some introspection.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Does the US really have the highest rate of single parenthood in the world? That might be worth some introspection.

Where do we fall on divorce rate?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Why is every single Trump tweet getting 100k+ likes within a couple hours now. It was in the 30-60k not too long ago.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Why is every single Trump tweet getting 100k+ likes within a couple hours now. It was in the 30-60k not too long ago.

Bots seem the obvious answer.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/jslovegrove/status/1252658909527134209

SQUIRM YOU loving WORM

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

Social media platforms have a problem with bots. :themoreyouknowstar:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

i am harry posted:

Social media platforms have a problem with bots. :themoreyouknowstar:

Yeah I get that but why now and not, say, during the impeachment trial or other times. Like today specifically they seem inflated.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where do we fall on divorce rate?

It varies but IIRC the US is just about always in the top 10:
http://countrydetail.com/top-10-countries-highest-divorce-rates-world/

The US really does have the highest rate of children w/ single parent households though:
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/12/12/u-s-children-more-likely-than-children-in-other-countries-to-live-with-just-one-parent/

Tayter Swift posted:

More people staying home lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This study may not be any good (there's still no reason to believe the drug is good, but you need to be careful on this stuff). Basically, it's not an actual clinical trial and has confounding factors.

quote:

Late Update: TPM Reader JB is an MD at a major academic medical center. He writes…

“Just slow down there a minute, cowboy. It’s a retrospective study. That means medication choice was up to the docs. Look at Table 2: The patients who got HC or HC + azithro were more likely to have poor oxygenation, have high blood pressure, have anemia, have high levels of inflammation at baseline! Usually, the sicker you start, the worse you do.

I’m just saying that this should allow the real clinical trials the space to get done.

If they do submit to NEJM, they will need to show a lot more information than this preprint.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/not-good-6

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/MikeGrunwald/status/1252668783002411008

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Covid hasn't slowed the democrats down one bit, they are just as effective as ever.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

I’m guessing a significant portion of single parenthood in the US is directly attributable to the fact that we also have the highest incarceration rate in the world.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The future is so hosed right now that it's actively irresponsible to have children regardless of how wealthy or lucky you are.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NaanViolence posted:

The future is so hosed right now that it's actively irresponsible to have children regardless of how wealthy or lucky you are.

Ok, I'll just die quietly and let all the evil shitheads keep having children and ruining the planet!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spaced God posted:

Something tells me they wrote this vague enough that they can do whatever they want to any past or future greencard

doing it to past ggreencards was struck way the gently caress down during the first Muslim ban

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Super-Id posted:

Ok, I'll just die quietly and let all the evil shitheads keep having children and ruining the planet!
you could also adopt

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

NaanViolence posted:

Bearing and raising children is an essentially human act. Under no circumstances should the left frame childbirth as being a matter of “responsibility.”

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stuntman posted:

you could also adopt

Planning to actually, but my point is that we need caring people raising children who will be better than us, not to just give up because everything is hosed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1252675242733993984

quote:

Missouri became the first state to file a lawsuit against China on Tuesday, accusing the country of being responsible for the severity of the coronavirus pandemic and seeking damages to make up for “the enormous loss of life, human suffering, and economic turmoil” resulting from the disease.

The suit in the Eastern District of Missouri follows at least seven federal class-action suits that have been filed by private groups, with one filed in Florida saying that China knew “COVID-19 was dangerous and capable of causing a pandemic, yet slowly acted, proverbially put their head in the sand, and/or covered it up in their own economic self-interest.”

It also comes on the heels of 22 Republican lawmakers on Monday requesting that the Trump administration bring a case against China to the International Court of Justice (ICIJ) for the country’s actions during the pandemic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The musical lead-in sounding like The Mummy is certainly a choice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

...can you do that? Didn't they have to pass special legislation (over Obama's veto) to allow lawsuits against Saudi Arabia over 9/11?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

People are going to stop receiving their mail in a few weeks.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

The article doesn't even match the tweet so this is politico at its finest. Finest being a finely polished turd

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1252627028156833798?s=20

:cabot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

doesnt this go to the house next? i am sure they will add good stuff. yeah gently caress the dems but senate dems dont have real leverage so lol we were hosed anyway.