Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rah! posted:

lol i just read that other types of coronavirus can survive for a month or more in the refrigerator, and inside a freezer, traces can remain as long as two years later

remember to disinfect ur groceries, everyone :skeltal:

I wash them with dishsoap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

just cook absolutely everything you eat

I haven't had a cold meal since early March

The cold meal is the loneliness in your heart.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bund posted:

where are you seeing this? current count for today is in the 1500s

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

maybe this site uses different time frame idk

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bund posted:

it nearly never goes up more than ~30% after $currentime. it has never come close to doubling.

Whatever you're looking at is out of date, we're at +2499 deaths right now which is 1000 over your quoted number of 1500 (+66%)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I have never disinfected my groceries and no Wuhan virus is gonna make me start now, I didn't watch my buddies die FACE down in the MUCK just to lose my FREEDOM

Dancer
May 23, 2011

BrownianMotion posted:

i wonder if bald people are just laughing it up at all the people complaining about haircuts, just cackling maniacally and typing away with foam at the mouth in a fervent glee "get hosed hairhavers"

I'm the opposite. Waist length hair that I haven't had professionally cut for 4+ years and it owns.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my parents gave me some homemade food (some stuff i couldn't heat up like salads) on easter in plastic containers and bags, and i #1 washed each container and bag with soap and water, then #2 left them alone in the fridge for 3 days before eating

i have read that 72 hours is the time frame for refrigerated coronaviruses but who knows lmao

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

eighty-four merc posted:

am I following correctly that WA1 (the guy in Seattle) strain is the ancestor of pretty much every strain in the US?

I'm on my phone and also am dumb, so nextstrain.org is impenetrable to me

i'm playing with the chart and it looks like the strain of WA1 was the ancestor of a big clade in North America but not the biggest one, which arose from multiple introductions from Europe.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Bund posted:

it nearly never goes up more than ~30% after $currentime. it has never come close to doubling.

https://ncov2019.live/ is showing a current USA death count for the day at 2,658 :shrug:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Some expert was saying that the models predict about 10% infection rate so far in the US. So that's still 90% of the population to be infected in subsequent waves as restrictions are lifted. Anyone stupid enough to believe conservative media or politicians deserves what they get. I just hope that they don't bring many others down with them.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Hamelekim posted:

Some expert was saying that the models predict about 10% infection rate so far in the US. So that's still 90% of the population to be infected in subsequent waves as restrictions are lifted. Anyone stupid enough to believe conservative media or politicians deserves what they get. I just hope that they don't bring many others down with them.

trumps' approval among olds is falling dramatically as he tries to ram open the economy in exchange for their lives

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

motedek posted:

i'm playing with the chart and it looks like the strain of WA1 was the ancestor of a big clade in North America but not the biggest one, which arose from multiple introductions from Europe.

still LOLing tho

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

This doesn't sound likely to me at all but I'm just some guy in the internet.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Schnorkles posted:

trumps' approval among olds is falling dramatically as he tries to ram open the economy in exchange for their lives

Yeah, who knew that old people wanted to live.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Hamelekim posted:

I just hope that they don't bring many others down with them.

What's this? I just received an update-

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah, who knew that old people wanted to live.

shocking i know

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Flesh Forge posted:

This doesn't sound likely to me at all but I'm just some guy in the internet.

It was some expert on CNN, and there is no hard data obviously because of a lack of testing. The point is that it has not infected most of the population so lifting restrictions will have a significant impact.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

theflyingexecutive posted:

watched my grandma’s funeral stream today and still laughed

rip (did you press f to pay respects)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

motedek posted:

very cool, thank you

and lol if this doesn't make you want to stay inside so you don't accidentally doom a continent

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Schnorkles posted:

That's why they have the NYT pumping out the "not as bad as we thought, just the flu" narrative

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

whaddup my nihilists

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Antibody testing is being rolled out for healthcare workers but it’s the same test we saw in that study a few days back that picks up antibodies to other types of corona virus. Most healthcare workers have been exposed to other corona viruses in the past so there are going to be a lot of doctors and nurses that don’t read the fine print of the test and think they’re immune.

I’ve been harping on my crew not to take off their masks no matter what the tests say.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

It was some expert on CNN, and there is no hard data obviously because of a lack of testing. The point is that it has not infected most of the population so lifting restrictions will have a significant impact.

yeah I'm not disagreeing with the general conclusion but I just think "10% have had this and either recovered or died" seems breathtakingly optimistic. That's 33 million people, the hospitalization and death numbers are not anywhere near appropriate for that, so either all those estimates of how CV behaves are wrong, or the 10% estimate is.
e: I mean if it was worded like "for the sake of argument, assume" fine whatever

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Eleven Eleven posted:

I doubt Trump can even do a single push-up.

The Constitution is quite clear what happens if an election is postponed; terms are not increased in length by the postponing of an election, so the office of the President would go to whomever is Speaker of the House, since Veep's term is also expiring. Congress could in theory delay the Presidential election, but the election for Representatives/Senators would still be up to the states to run, and since CA said they'll be doing vote by mail, then Nancy Pelosi becomes President.

lmfao the rules don't and won't matter

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
wheres my loving UI?!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rah! posted:

lol i just read that other types of coronavirus can survive for a month or more in the refrigerator, and inside a freezer, traces can remain as long as two years later

remember to disinfect ur groceries, everyone :skeltal:

i’m actually v. curious about if the freezing damages that lipid shell

“traces of” tends to mean positive detection of viral RNA but previous tests have assumed RNA traces = active virus and that isn’t necessarily the case, if the lipid shell is destroyed there’s no potential to actually bind and protein printer can’t go brrr

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

there wolf lmao posted:

wheres my loving UI?!

Good news: it's coming

Bad news: It's designed by Grigsby.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Judakel posted:

I wash them with dishsoap.

:same:

but there were a couple times where without thinking i just rammed something from the grocery bag into my refrigerator. Actually i was thinking, and what i was thinking was, THIS poo poo TAKES FOREVER I ALREADY WASHED 100 OTHER THINGS AND I GOTTA PISS AND POST HURR ILL DISINFECT IT LATER BEFORE I USE IT BESIDES IF I JUST WAIT A FEW EXTRA DAYS THE COVID WILL DIE ANYWAY and also, TMAP

oops now i got the roni fridge :sad:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Nodelphi posted:

Antibody testing is being rolled out for healthcare workers but it’s the same test we saw in that study a few days back that picks up antibodies to other types of corona virus. Most healthcare workers have been exposed to other corona viruses in the past so there are going to be a lot of doctors and nurses that don’t read the fine print of the test and think they’re immune.

I’ve been harping on my crew not to take off their masks no matter what the tests say.

jesus loving christ

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i’m actually v. curious about if the freezing damages that lipid shell

“traces of” tends to mean positive detection of viral RNA but previous tests have assumed RNA traces = active virus and that isn’t necessarily the case, if the lipid shell is destroyed there’s no potential to actually bind and protein printer can’t go brrr

who will be the first to lick the forbidden freezer, and gain its knowledge?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BrownianMotion posted:

i wonder if bald people are just laughing it up at all the people complaining about haircuts, just cackling maniacally and typing away with foam at the mouth in a fervent glee "get hosed hairhavers"

absolutely yes.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nodelphi posted:

I know people trying to validate the available serology tests and a lot of them are junk; samples sets that test 30% positive on one kit are 0% on another and 60% on another.

You're right to be skeptical.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

StageIt eh

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Woodchip posted:

Good news: it's coming

Bad news: It's designed by Grigsby.
crack! ping!'d again for the second time today

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

I have never disinfected my groceries and no Wuhan virus is gonna make me start now, I didn't watch my buddies die FACE down in the MUCK just to lose my FREEDOM

Bund
Mar 2, 2007

you are getting very hungry

my bony fealty posted:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

maybe this site uses different time frame idk

SKULL.GIF posted:

Whatever you're looking at is out of date, we're at +2499 deaths right now which is 1000 over your quoted number of 1500 (+66%)

The day is reset after midnight GMT+0.

That's no good at all. It opens a big gap where states reporting later than usual one day will throw off the human-comprehensible comparisons.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/ resets at midnight EST. The current count for Tuesday is 1,871, which does blow my theory, but that's because more and more damage is coming from states further west.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rah! posted:

who will be the first to lick the forbidden freezer, and gain its knowledge?

find a chud at costco and cough on their pizza roll bag for science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'd like to speak to the Live-in manager