Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

1redflag posted:

Those tile trackers don’t work from space, is my understanding. Like, you (or anyone else using the app) have to be within Bluetooth range for it to get binged and report back to the server. So if someone steals your poo poo and goes outside an urban area, your probably hosed. My understanding is that is the case with most “passive” (or low-powered) rfid setups and you’d have to put something in there that’s has a strong enough signal and enough battery to power that signal if you are looking for something with GPS. This info is all like 10 years old and comes from an amateur understanding tho, so I’m sure someone else can give a better answer (and tell me I’m a loving moron for what I’ve said)

That's what I'm wondering.. if someone with a Tile / similar setup is nearby, will it track the location that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's what I'm wondering.. if someone with a Tile / similar setup is nearby, will it track the location that way?

it's an option if you report something as lost for it to get searched for by everyone else with the app

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yeah there’s a network of tile users and if any of them are near it you should get a signal. I use a tile in nyc and it says there’s some crazy number of people around me in their network. Right now I’m upstate and it says there’s 330 tile users around but that’s in a pretty large area so it’s not very reassuring.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Snowy posted:

Yeah there’s a network of tile users and if any of them are near it you should get a signal. I use a tile in nyc and it says there’s some crazy number of people around me in their network. Right now I’m upstate and it says there’s 330 tile users around but that’s in a pretty large area so it’s not very reassuring.

Yea, this is what I was trying to say

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
There are some services that do GPS tracking for packages. Generally cost starts in the mid-30s for the devices and ~$10 a month to have it active.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Wasnt there a PYF recent purchase thread? Am i completely oblivious and blind or did it dissapear?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking for a GPS tracker to put in some boxes for transport, in the event they get lost / misplaced / stolen / whatever. It needs to survive for 2-3 days. What am I looking for? Would a Tile Tracker or similar work okay, or would I need something else?

You can buy low cost cellular trackers off eBay/AliExpress that take a SIM card and you communicate with it via SMS. They’re usually sold as tracking people with Alzheimer’s and the likes.

You can also get low cost trackers that do live location logging, but you need to set up your own data collection infrastructure and pay for cellular data (but there are lower cost IoT cell providers)

They’re both a bit poo poo, but might do what you need.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Wasnt there a PYF recent purchase thread? Am i completely oblivious and blind or did it dissapear?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631953

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm looking for some black work pants for working in retail. I've been wearing denim, but it's been too hot and moisture-trapping for my liking.

I was looking at the Duluth Trading "Dry on the Fly" pants and was interested in opinions or recommendations in the same vein. (I am a lady goon, hence linking the women's pants.)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking for a GPS tracker to put in some boxes for transport, in the event they get lost / misplaced / stolen / whatever. It needs to survive for 2-3 days. What am I looking for? Would a Tile Tracker or similar work okay, or would I need something else?

Buy a couple of old smartphones, hook them up to powerbanks and use the Locate My Device function.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

All I want to say is that I love my air fryer and I am super glad I bought it before I got locked in because dirty-rear end, cheap frozen convenience foods are a snap to make, and reheating foods that aren't quite as dirty is super quick and easy, too.

So for the purposes of this post, MF Product is: air fryer

I don't know if mine is "top of the line" or not, but considering they all operate under the same basic premise, I couldn't tell one from another unless we're talking about long-term durability or whatever, and for that I have no points of comparison, so I'm not going to recommend my specific make and model because it might actually be dogshit as air fryers go and I don't want to disappoint anyone.

It's just really nice to have; it's certainly my favorite of the small-ticket items I've bought in the last few years.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pastry of the Year posted:

All I want to say is that I love my air fryer and I am super glad I bought it before I got locked in because dirty-rear end, cheap frozen convenience foods are a snap to make, and reheating foods that aren't quite as dirty is super quick and easy, too.

So for the purposes of this post, MF Product is: air fryer

I don't know if mine is "top of the line" or not, but considering they all operate under the same basic premise, I couldn't tell one from another unless we're talking about long-term durability or whatever, and for that I have no points of comparison, so I'm not going to recommend my specific make and model because it might actually be dogshit as air fryers go and I don't want to disappoint anyone.

It's just really nice to have; it's certainly my favorite of the small-ticket items I've bought in the last few years.

Mine is on the way right now and this is only encouraging my impatience

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My sister's in-laws have an air fryer, as do a couple friends of mine in town. I ordered an air fryer top that's compatible with Instant-Pots for my sister's birthday.

Last weekend I melted a container of shortening in a cast iron dutch oven to deep-fry stuff.

I think I'll buy an air fryer when I have the chance...

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are air fryers the same thing as a convection halogen oven but in a different case?

I got one of these things years ago and my research seems to indicate it's essentially the same as an air fryer. It also seems larger and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Imag...87514491&sr=8-2

Here is a similar one that's in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-R-H...87514553&sr=8-3

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bamhand posted:

Are air fryers the same thing as a convection halogen oven but in a different case?

I am not a physicist (NB I had to use ato currect to spell that word rite) but I was inspired by this article by two of the funniest people that have ever inspired me (don't hold that against them), one of whose art was very food and recipe heavy:

https://theinventory.com/the-best-frozen-foods-to-cook-in-your-air-fryer-and-ho-1834732924

You can take this or leave it. I didn't end up buying either of the recommended models, but I found it a fun read and a neat guideline for what might be good in this device and now that I'm shut in and eating a lot of shelf-stable whatnot, I appreciate it more. That's all.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I also agree that an air fryer has been a life saver in these shelf stable/frozen food times.

Plus with the upcoming summer heatwave they are a nice way to cook something without heating the gently caress out of your home!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Does anyone have a recommendation for some light, breathable summer sheets? My apartment gets crazy hot and the sheets I have are keeping too much heat in at night.

bamhand posted:

Yes. Wirecutter did a big review of air fryers against convection toaster ovens and lists the pros and cons of a bunch of models.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I need an iPhone charging cable that's longer than the standard ones and that won't immediately start to fray.

I swear Apple makes these things weak on purpose.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Van Dis posted:

I need an iPhone charging cable that's longer than the standard ones and that won't immediately start to fray.

I've been happy with the Belkin DuraTek cables.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got the long version of this very hipsterish iPhone cord and it’s the most durable I’ve ever had. Free shipping now too

https://www.nativeunion.com/collections/charging-cables

E- This one specifically. I love it.

https://www.nativeunion.com/products/belt-cable-xl

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I have one of those too but I left it at my sister's place in MD, so I picked up the Belkin one at the nearby Target.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Van Dis posted:

Probably true, but I'd put it as less "let make it break" and more "religious opposition to proper strain relief in cable design" for some insane reason.

Anyway, my wife like Anker's replacement cables.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I've been happy with the Belkin DuraTek cables.

Snowy posted:

I got the long version of this very hipsterish iPhone cord and it’s the most durable I’ve ever had. Free shipping now too

https://www.nativeunion.com/collections/charging-cables

E- This one specifically. I love it.

https://www.nativeunion.com/products/belt-cable-xl

Thanks yall.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Van Dis posted:

Thanks yall.

Always check monoprice.com if you need cables of any sort.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Anyone got sheet / pillowcase recommendations? I've heard Brooklinen is good, but a) I don't know that it's not just advertising, and b) $423 is a fair chunk of goddamn money so they better be very good.

Linen would be amazing, open to ideas. I'm looking specifically for pillowcases (getting his & hers purple pillows delivered and would like to put good cases on them) right now, but could definitely use refreshing of all of it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We purchased our linen sheets from pottery barn (had some coupons) and while linen sheets are not cheap, they are life changing.
I assume that brooklinen quote includes a duvet cover?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

couldcareless posted:

We purchased our linen sheets from pottery barn (had some coupons) and while linen sheets are not cheap, they are life changing.
I assume that brooklinen quote includes a duvet cover?
It does. Includes:
  • flat sheet
  • fitted sheet
  • 2 pillowcases (+ 2 extra, so total 4)
  • 1 duvet cover

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
In that case, that price seems about right. Linen ain't cheap. If you can forgo the duvet and maybe upgrade that further down the road, it will bring the price down quite a bit. You can also shop around as there's a few different sites that specialize in linen sheets and sometimes you might catch some good deals/coupons.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Linen isn't as super durable as these companies want you to believe. I mean by all means buy it but don't go expecting it to last 5+ years. I get like 2ish out of my fitted sheets but maybe that's because I don't wash them as frequently as I should. I normally get Linoto (colors!) but the last time I went with Cultiver when I wanted a flat sheet.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I have been thinking about buying a Dyson Airwrap. It’s expensive, but I really want one. Anyone have one?

https://www.dyson.com/hair-care/dyson-airwrap-styler-complete-nickel-fuchsia.html

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pragmatica posted:

I have been thinking about buying a Dyson Airwrap. It’s expensive, but I really want one. Anyone have one?

https://www.dyson.com/hair-care/dyson-airwrap-styler-complete-nickel-fuchsia.html

My wife really likes hers. She does some of those loose-wrapped curls and likes that she doesn't have to dry her hair, and also just likes the hair dryer part.

Its probably worth the price if you're into that.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

My wife really likes hers. She does some of those loose-wrapped curls and likes that she doesn't have to dry her hair, and also just likes the hair dryer part.

Its probably worth the price if you're into that.

Yeah, my hair is pretty thin and fine, so I’m really gentle with it and try not to use much heat. Seems to be good for that. I just want some volume!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When it comes to sheets and pillowcases I switched to beech/Modal many years ago and never looked back. Although the jersey finish I prefer pills up pretty badly they are soft, stay cool in Summer and warm in winter, and also absorb alot of moisture before they feel damp.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pragmatica posted:

Yeah, my hair is pretty thin and fine, so I’m really gentle with it and try not to use much heat. Seems to be good for that. I just want some volume!

That's how hers is too, if it matters

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have recommendations for an app available on Windows for notetaking that supports palm rejection, and has the option of opening a radial menu (ie in this case with a Lenovo pen) for selecting different pens? I basically just want to map one of the buttons on the pen to opening a little radial menu to switch between a couple pen colors and a highlighter.

It looks like OneNote used to have this available for older Surface devices, but took it out and doesn't plan on adding it back in. It really feels like something like this should exist, but I can't find one for the life of me.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does SA have an electric scooter thread? I was looking into getting one for commuting purposes, but can’t seem to find one.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Duck and Cover posted:

Linen isn't as super durable as these companies want you to believe. I mean by all means buy it but don't go expecting it to last 5+ years. I get like 2ish out of my fitted sheets but maybe that's because I don't wash them as frequently as I should. I normally get Linoto (colors!) but the last time I went with Cultiver when I wanted a flat sheet.

How is your Linoto holding up? I used to have a linen set I got from The Company Store and my fitted sheet only lasted 2 years and now my pillow cases are falling apart after 4.

I did buy a fitted sheet from Linoto and like how thicker it is compared to the former just want to see how it holds up if I decide to replace the rest.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

halokiller posted:

How is your Linoto holding up? I used to have a linen set I got from The Company Store and my fitted sheet only lasted 2 years and now my pillow cases are falling apart after 4.

I did buy a fitted sheet from Linoto and like how thicker it is compared to the former just want to see how it holds up if I decide to replace the rest.

The problem is I don't remember when I get my sheets because they tend to be gifts which makes it a bother to find out. Today I did find a hole on one of my fitted sheets. Let's see oh this one I ordered for myself on .

Sat, Feb 3, 2018, 7:00 PM

So yeah roughly 2 years. I mean it'll take a bit for the hole to expand but it's not going to last all that much longer. Could I repair it if I wasn't a lazy? Probably. Will I? No. That's 2 years partly alternating between two sets. I don't always have two sets.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 07:38 on May 7, 2020

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I need a digital microscope with the following options:

-under $50
-720p resolution minimum
-50x mag minimum
-can plug into my mac so I can take pictures with it

Anyone got experience with these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Looking for a recommendation for glass jars, primarily large ones for food storage, but a few smaller ones for spices as well.
I see a bunch of options, but no idea which ones are durable without being exorbitantly expensive.