Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

sincx posted:

This isn't new by the way. ASRock did this decades ago.

That's Socket 939, right? God, it hurts to hear that referenced as "decades ago". :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Carrier-/base-boards for embedded systems stuck on daughterboard-formfactor PCB is hardly something ASRock invented.

EDIT: Hell, the PICMG standard is from 1994 and used ISA.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 15, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

Production versions of those weird Ghost Canyon NUCs with the "compute element" PCIe card design are out with reviewers. Where my SFF/ITX heads at!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCoLJeUbZTc

I'm still confused as to why the compute element itself isn't rotated to draw cool air in through the mesh side panel. The back-to-back config seems to work well in the Corsair One and NZXT H1, definitely better than the back-to-front in this NUC or the Phanteks Evolv Shift.

It doesnt seem to suffer from it at all I guess, but rotating it would let them use basically any CPU in the stack instead of just 45w mobile parts.

This. Nobody seems to have a good answer for this and its infuriating.

eames
May 9, 2009

momomo_us appears to have found some Z490 prices starting at 200€, no idea who's supposed to buy these when Zen 3 is out in a few months.

https://twitter.com/momomo_us/status/1251512721276760065

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

That new liquid cooler Gamers Nexus just reviewed should be up to the task

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is Intel VT used for anything other than VM stuff? My Dell bios has it turned off by default. I'm not doing any VM stuff either.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Windows 10 has a security feature that uses it and is on by default if you install the OS with it enabled. I am not sure if it matters otherwise.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Eletriarnation posted:

Windows 10 has a security feature that uses it and is on by default if you install the OS with it enabled. I am not sure if it matters otherwise.

Hmm that page doesn't really say what practical uses are for. Some googling shows its a thing VMs can use.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
It didn't?

Maybe read, not skim? Hardening a security approach is quite practical.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whoops ok so then it seems its used literally for every driver and executable that's invoked. Seems like pretty substantial usage if available.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Here's somethin nobody has had the pure sexual force of will to make for the desktop since the Slocket days:

https://twitter.com/Loeschzwerg_3DC/status/1252620111732670465

Allows you to put LGA3647 Xeon SPs in the new LGA4189-4 socket for Cooper Lake/Ice Lake Xeons. I think this is officially sanctioned too, almost definitely exists because of Epyc's drop in upgrades for Rome/Milan.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....I did not previously appreciate how Intel's shorts were turning progressively darker shades of brown before this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cygni posted:

Here's somethin nobody has had the pure sexual force of will to make for the desktop since the Slocket days:

Allows you to put LGA3647 Xeon SPs in the new LGA4189-4 socket for Cooper Lake/Ice Lake Xeons. I think this is officially sanctioned too, almost definitely exists because of Epyc's drop in upgrades for Rome/Milan.

Wowww that's quite something

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’m in the market for a refurbished office PC to turn into a Linux/python learning environment, general use desktop/word processor, and ideally to one day slap a cheap GPU into for the purposes of playing some steam games (Battletech, Stellaris, maybe NMS or Witcher, possibly the occasional shooter like Halo) at “budget but solid” levels on the 22” 1080p display I have arriving on Friday.

Before the pandemic/during the first couple of weeks you could easily get something like an Optiplex minitower with a 4th gen i7 in it for $150-200. I’ve seen 4770s and 4970s on offer.

Since then, the i7 minitowers have all dried up and the few that can be had have drifted north of $250 which is frankly more than I want to spend, given that I often need to add stuff like ram, SSD, gpu...and wanna keep the whole thing as cheap (but as good value-for-money wise) as possible. i5 towers on the other hand, have risen to occupy the ~$150-200 price point.

As far as my research shows me, the biggest difference is that the i7s have 8 available threads while the i5s have 4. I’d like to max out this computer’s potential but stay within reason (let’s say I get 1-2 years out of it). How much am I screwing myself over by going with an i5, say a 4750 or 4950, over an i7? What if I wanna put a 1060 in it in a month for some ~pc gaming~?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 22, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Don't mess around with 4th gen Intel office boxes pulled from the garbage, it's guaranteed to come with the worst DDR3 memory available and will kick you in the balls even thinking about TW3/NMS. The value is just awful :(

Price out a super budget build in the PC part picker thread with a Zen 1600AF, the cheapest B450 board they recommend, some half-decent 80Plus Silver/Bronze rated powerbrick, and 2x8 GB of boring 3200/16 DDR4. Then a $10-20 Windows 7 Pro key from the guy on SAmart, it still upgrades to Win10 on activation afaik.

Or ask on SAmart to buy someone's complete first gen Zen box, many are moving to 3rd gen AMD with fancy RAM maybe you'll get lucky.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 22, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, I got an Optiplex 7010 with a i5-3470 about a year ago for like $120, stuck a 1070 in it and it's smooth as butter in Doom at ultra settings and Half Life Alyx in VR runs great at least up to Medium. The 1070 is probably too much for this setup but a 1060 would be just right for most games if you're not planning on running 1440p at 144hz or something.

A prebuilt Ryzen 1600 setup is almost a grand here (taxes etc may very though). I've not doubt the Ryzen will be faster but not like 3x faster.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Doom or Doom Eternal? The latter's recommended specs list a i7-6700K so I'm surprised your CPU runs it that well. I was avoiding it til I upgrade my 3570k, might rethink that now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Eternal. Although it seems like it's not much more, if at all, demanding than 2016 anyway. I don't even know what the recommended specs but with my setup I don't think it even dropped below 60fps for any noticeable amount, though if you want to push out more frames the CPU would probably be a limiting factor.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m in the market for a refurbished office PC to turn into a Linux/python learning environment, general use desktop/word processor, and ideally to one day slap a cheap GPU into for the purposes of playing some steam games (Battletech, Stellaris, maybe NMS or Witcher, possibly the occasional shooter like Halo) at “budget but solid” levels on the 22” 1080p display I have arriving on Friday.

Before the pandemic/during the first couple of weeks you could easily get something like an Optiplex minitower with a 4th gen i7 in it for $150-200. I’ve seen 4770s and 4970s on offer.

Since then, the i7 minitowers have all dried up and the few that can be had have drifted north of $250 which is frankly more than I want to spend, given that I often need to add stuff like ram, SSD, gpu...and wanna keep the whole thing as cheap (but as good value-for-money wise) as possible. i5 towers on the other hand, have risen to occupy the ~$150-200 price point.

As far as my research shows me, the biggest difference is that the i7s have 8 available threads while the i5s have 4. I’d like to max out this computer’s potential but stay within reason (let’s say I get 1-2 years out of it). How much am I screwing myself over by going with an i5, say a 4750 or 4950, over an i7? What if I wanna put a 1060 in it in a month for some ~pc gaming~?

Generally none of those office PCs have the power supply to handle a 1060, you need something that just needs power from the PCI slot. I think that's maybe certain models of the 1050ti at this point? Someone else probably knows for sure.

I think you'd get a much better deal if you can wait few months. I get the feeling that a LOT of companies are going to be ditching their desktops and going with laptops for everyone the first chance they get and when that happens the refurbished market you're looking at will bottom out.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Doom or Doom Eternal? The latter's recommended specs list a i7-6700K so I'm surprised your CPU runs it that well. I was avoiding it til I upgrade my 3570k, might rethink that now.

The game runs great on a 2500K also! Ivy Bridge should be fine assuming you’ve got it at 4.2 or higher.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Ignore the requirements, Id knows how to optimise. Especially if you've overclocked that 3570K, I definitely wouldn't hold back on buying the game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Intel's whole "we're gonna constantly change the socket to force more chipset sales and pump up the bottom line" strategy is starting to backfire, who saw that coming?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm still rocking my current C2D/C2E laptop as a daily. Just web, teleconference, remote desktop, 1080p youtube and :files:. Who needs more than 478 CPU contacts anyway.

This thing is going to last forever.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm still rocking my current C2D/C2E laptop as a daily. Just web, teleconference, remote desktop, 1080p youtube and :files:. Who needs more than 478 CPU contacts anyway.

Now try to unzip a file

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I got bored, so I finally got around to hard-modding my x58 board and replaced the four core i7-940 with a Xeon Westmere cpu.

It involves removing a resistor from the mobo (easy) and moving it to another location (freaking hard). I don’t have the tools to solder that finely so I just used a #2 pencil like the Duron days of yore.

The fucker booted and now I’m running a Xeon with six cores. This is strictly for gaming so I don’t care if it explodes in a few days. I‘ve been running this thing since 2005 or so.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

What web sites?! It's the loving web that's really been aging out (IMO) what would otherwise still be serviceable computers.

The thing that got me from my E6600 to a 2600K was my gaming becoming very much CPU limited around the 2010 timeframe.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Risky Bisquick posted:

Now try to unzip a file

Wut? Unzips fine how is that even an issue?

movax posted:

What web sites?! It's the loving web that's really been aging out (IMO) what would otherwise still be serviceable computers.

The thing that got me from my E6600 to a 2600K was my gaming becoming very much CPU limited around the 2010 timeframe.

SAF, gmail, youtube, ebay, amazon, wikipedia, bbc news, tech news. I'm not hunting for sites to to kill it but I haven't done anything proactive either like ad blockers.

C2D T9900 - 8GB. But I have some older machines I'm going to try later in the quarantine.

e: Pretty sure Core2 is the limit of pleasant experiences tho. You can go lower but you have to do some funky non standard configs. I can still playback recently encoded 1080p24 h.264 on a Pentium-M (fastest one) but I have to use some custom decode flags although the added artifacts are not at all noticeable at speed.

e: Any articular sites you think would be bad for a T9900? I'm running the new Edge chrome based browser btw.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 23, 2020

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

AARP LARPer posted:

I got bored, so I finally got around to hard-modding my x58 board and replaced the four core i7-940 with a Xeon Westmere cpu.

It involves removing a resistor from the mobo (easy) and moving it to another location (freaking hard). I don’t have the tools to solder that finely so I just used a #2 pencil like the Duron days of yore.

The fucker booted and now I’m running a Xeon with six cores. This is strictly for gaming so I don’t care if it explodes in a few days. I‘ve been running this thing since 2005 or so.

I was able to do this without a hard-mod by installing the final "beta" BIOS on my Gigabyte X58 board. I got an X5660 for $20 on eBay and it turned out to be a pretty amazing chip, doing like 4.5GHz on air with a big Noctua cooler on it. Used it until I upgraded to a 3700X. Would highly recommend investigating for anyone still on X58 with a quad - a lot of boards can't do it, but maybe yours can!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a 8700K with Z370 chipset and Asus Maximus X Hero. Currently I have a F4-3600C15D-16GTZ kit. So 2x8GB CL15. I could get another of those F4-3600C15D-16GTZ kits for 170€ new. They are samsung b-die.

Or I could get a 32GB kit like F4-3600C16Q-32GTZ for 335€ (4x8GB).

How important it is to have a matched kit? I had two 3x2GB kits in my old i7 920 (6 sticks total) and it ran just fine on advertised specs. Would 2 separate 2x8GB CL15 kits run fine on 8700k? If I bumped the CL up to 16 or something. I could save money and hassle by just getting another 16GB kit.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I have a 8700K with Z370 chipset and Asus Maximus X Hero. Currently I have a F4-3600C15D-16GTZ kit. So 2x8GB CL15. I could get another of those F4-3600C15D-16GTZ kits for 170€ new. They are samsung b-die.

Or I could get a 32GB kit like F4-3600C16Q-32GTZ for 335€ (4x8GB).

How important it is to have a matched kit? I had two 3x2GB kits in my old i7 920 (6 sticks total) and it ran just fine on advertised specs. Would 2 separate 2x8GB CL15 kits run fine on 8700k? If I bumped the CL up to 16 or something. I could save money and hassle by just getting another 16GB kit.

My first hand experience is that the RAM will work but the XMP profiles won't. I have the exact same CPU/MB and bought a 2x8GB b-die first and an identical 2x8GB kit a few months later.

XMP didn't work and the generic "auto" settings were very loose/slow. It took a lot of tweaking and hours of stability testing to get good performance out of the two identical sets and if I had to do it all again, I'd definitely sell the existing kit and buy a full kit from the motherboard's QVL.

If leaving some performance on the table doesn't bother you, you might be fine. Technically 4x8GB at CL16 might outperform 2x8GB at CL15 in synthetic benchmarks because of interleaving and that particular motherboard works best with 4 DIMMs. On the other hand if one of the memory training algorithms won't train the secondary or tertiary timings correctly, you're in for a lot of frustration.
Due to the nature of memory training you can end up in situations where the system is stable 9 out of 10 coldboots and that last one is unstable. Then you get to choose from a few dozen parameters to fix the issue. Yeah, I'm never touching my memory settings again.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_FORMULA/MEMORY_QVL_0108.pdf

F4-3733C17Q-32GTZR is on the list. But it is double the price, 360€. Dunno how much I could get from my existing kit, maybe 100€?

I would assume 3600CL15 samsung b-die could work @ 3733CL17 too...

I have a memory stability tester from Karhu software. Maybe I'll just be a stupid person and buy another 2x8GB kit and get a mental meltdown from adjusting memory settings. Most likely the CPU IMC is not up to the task so maybe that can be fixed with some tiny bit of extra voltages & looser 16-16-16-38 timings.

I'll post a trip report... thanks for saying it can be made to work with some effort :v:

Actually I realized my mobo supports the 9-series 8core CPU's too. So I can later upgrade to 9900K or something when they get cheaper.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 23, 2020

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Eletriarnation posted:

I was able to do this without a hard-mod by installing the final "beta" BIOS on my Gigabyte X58 board. I got an X5660 for $20 on eBay and it turned out to be a pretty amazing chip, doing like 4.5GHz on air with a big Noctua cooler on it. Used it until I upgraded to a 3700X. Would highly recommend investigating for anyone still on X58 with a quad - a lot of boards can't do it, but maybe yours can!

I think it was your series of posts about 1-2 years ago that got me doing this originally. I have an EVGA board and I had to do both the BIOS update and a mod because I've got an earlier version. I had done the BIOS a long time ago, but just now got around to messing around with the board.

So, thanks to your posts here, I now have two more cores for $25. It was a lot of fun, so thanks so much for getting me motivated!

EDIT: I bought the same chip and have mine running at 3.5 at the moment. I want things to settle down a bit before I start bumping things up more.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 23, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Still daily usable desktop system is 2004 vintage then? I had a Xeon modded Q45 based SFF but it died recently :(

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Shaocaholica posted:

Still daily usable desktop system is 2004 vintage then? I had a Xeon modded Q45 based SFF but it died recently :(

Somewhere around that time frame, yeah. Memory is triple-channel, but the middle channel crapped out last year and the back audio has started dropping randomly. I'll give it another year or two before it joins your SFF in heaven, but this machine has done a lot of work during its life.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

2004? I seriously wouldn't want to go back to anything older than Conroe, 2006, for anything resembling daily use.
A neat old school gaming PC? Sure, go back as far as you like.

vv I wasn't talking about gaming as an expectation, I'm saying that anything older than Conroe (the first Core 2 Duo) is not going to be acceptable for light daily use in 2020. The gaming part was just a nod to the retro builds for old games people are doing these days

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 23, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HalloKitty posted:

2004? I seriously wouldn't want to go back to anything older than Conroe, 2006, for anything resembling daily use.
A neat old school gaming PC? Sure, go back as far as you like.

I don't count gaming, video editing as daily use for the general public. With those 2 use cases all bets are off.

IMO if it meets this criteria its daily useable.

-64bit CPU 2+ cores
-8GB or more ram (4GB for nerds)
-SATA (upgraded to cheap SSD)

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 23, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't count gaming, video editing as daily use for the general public. With those 2 use cases all bets are off.

IMO if it meets this criteria its daily useable.

-64bit CPU 2+ cores
-8GB or more ram (4GB for nerds)
-SATA (upgraded to cheap SSD)

2004 platforms wont get you any of those requirements. 2004 platforms are things like single core 32bit Pentium 4s/single core Athlon64s with 4gb DDR2 max capacity and SATA 1 (150MB/s) ports. You are likely going to be stuck on XP, and wont really be able to use modern browsers (meaning a lot of HTML5 websites and stuff simply dont work) or versions of Office.

I had an old Dothan based Pentium M ThinkPad from that era going until a few years ago. For vintage gaming, they are fun. But they are no longer suitable for regular daily use, imo.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh I just pulled 2004 out of my butt. Looks like its more 2006.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

AARP LARPer posted:

So, thanks to your posts here, I now have two more cores for $25. It was a lot of fun, so thanks so much for getting me motivated!

Glad to hear it!

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh I just pulled 2004 out of my butt. Looks like its more 2006.

Yeah, looking at ark.intel.com I think the first Intel 64-bit chips didn't even appear until the end of 2005. I have an ASUS Socket 478 motherboard from 2004 with 4GB of 400MHz DDR and a Pentium M + socket adapter, and I think 2016 was the last time I tried it before putting it in an antistatic bag and reusing the case for something else. I was impressed that it was able to run Windows 10 fine and both WoW (Warlords) and Skyrim were playable if far from ideal. It was clearly hitting a wall though, between being single core and being limited by the AGP socket to a Radeon 4650 at best.

I can't really bring myself to throw it away since it was my first new desktop and as far as I know still works flawlessly, but I increasingly suspect I'll never have a use for it again. Even if I found a use for which it was capable, power use compared to a newer system makes that not a good idea. Using it as a classic gaming machine has some superficial appeal but when I consider the difficulty involved in setting up a new install of Windows XP in 2020, I think I'll try to stick to VMs and GOG ports.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I still have my first computer. Pentium-200MMX. Not super old by collectors standards but I never got a chance to recycle it. I'm going to play MP3s/FLAC on it.

Not mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KipeYdKW8NA