Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al-Saqr posted:

Mario has never had good bosses, Galaxy 2 had great ones and Tiger-Bowser in 3D world was visually really cool but by and large mario has never ever been good with bosses.

Bowser in 3D World was a good boss since he was basically just a level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Alright, I'm gonna give you guys until Monday to try out the new tools. Then we'll get down to business. And by business I mean Jams and stuff.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The update is live!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I'm still immensely disappointed that Skipsqueaks can't trigger on/off blocks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SeANMcBAY posted:

And you can use him the sameway here.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Maybe this is what finally gets me to put some levels out in the world. I’m super excited to play other people’s works tho!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Put a roof on the arena and Roy + Morton is a challenging tag team to fight.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It seems that with the new p-balloon power-up you can actually use the control stick to move in more than 8-directions as you would with the d-pad.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1252798206234071040?s=20

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Sam Faust posted:

It seems that with the new p-balloon power-up you can actually use the control stick to move in more than 8-directions as you would with the d-pad.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1252798206234071040?s=20

:devil:

Looking forward to checking out the update once daughter is asleep!

edit: SMB2 mushroom comes with super jump, not sure if I missed that from the previews!

tonberi fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 22, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
For those wondering: You can only have one "Super World" (aka. full game) of up to eight worlds uploaded at a time, and up to six downloaded to Worldbot (aka Coursebot for Super Worlds)

EDIT: Powerups are not persistent between levels.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 22, 2020

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Kins posted:

For those wondering: You can only have one "Super World" (aka. full game) of up to eight worlds uploaded at a time, and up to six downloaded to Worldbot (aka Coursebot for Super Worlds)

EDIT: Powerups are not persistent between levels.

Well that's really lovely. Personally I'd rather have the option to upload a lot of smaller worlds than one big one.

Powerups not persisting through levels I guess is a consequence of being able to use multiple styles where powerups would conflict.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's the official patch notes:

quote:

Course Maker
  • New course parts have been added.
    Each new part can be used in the following game styles as shown below.

• Select the Cursed Key by first placing a Key, then changing its type from the options available.
  • The Dotted-Line Block has been newly added to the Super Mario 3D World game style. It has been available in all other game styles since Ver. 1.0.0.

World Maker
  • You can now select World Maker and Worldbot from the main menu.
  • In World Maker, you can create your own Super Worlds.
    You can set up to eight worlds and 40 courses in one Super World.
    You can set courses that are saved under My Courses in Coursebot.
  • In Worldbot, you can view Super Worlds that you made in World Maker.
    You can save up to six Super Worlds.
    Each Maker can upload one Super World to Course World.

Course World
  • Super Worlds have been added.
    You can play Super Worlds uploaded from Makers around the globe.
  • If a Maker uploads a Super World, it will be displayed in the Overview section of their Maker Profile.
  • Added a list of Super Worlds a Maker has played to their Maker Profile.
  • Added a friend list to Leaderboards.
    Friends who have allowed “Share to Friend List” in Options will be displayed here.
  • In Leaderboards, the order of the list of Makers you’re following has been changed to display whoever uploaded a course most recently first.
  • Increased the number of tags that can be added to a course.
    Added the following tags: Art, Technical, Shooter, Boss battle, Single player, and Link.
    Courses that are tagged with “Single player” will not be selected in Network Play.
  • You can now download courses that you posted to My Courses in Coursebot.
  • Added a list of friends’ times to Everyone’s Times in Ninji Speedruns.
    Friends who have allowed “Share to Friend List” in Options will be displayed here.
  • Added gear that can be acquired in Easy and Normal modes of Endless Challenge.
    If the conditions for earning this gear have been met in Ver. 2.0.0 or earlier, it will be acquired when updating to Ver. 3.0.0.

General
  • Added “Share to Friend List” to Options. -By setting this to “Allow,” your information will be displayed to your friends in Leaderboards and Ninji Speedruns.
  • Issues have been fixed to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The last level of each overworld map must be attached to the "castle" object on the map. The level itself doesn't have to be castle themed (you can attach whatever level to the castle square you want) but the square does have to look like a castle which kinda limits thematic creativity.

Forcing every world to be about Mario journeying to a castle is fine when Nintendo does it but user-created content should be about weirdness and going off the rails of "standard" Mario design. All it would take would be to give players the option to change the castle icon to any of the other icons available for the other levels.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 22, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Koopaling differences from experimenting with them.

Larry is default. He jumps around a bit and shoots fireballs, shooting them faster as he takes hits. Giving him wings makes do big jumps.
Iggy runs around back and forward making landing on him tricky, while shooting fireballs. His shell speed seems to be higher than the other koopalings. Giving him wings makes him short hop back and forth rather then run.
Wendy shoots rings that bounce around while jumping adding more rings that last longer as she takes hits. Giving her wings makes her leap higher. Unlike Larry she tends to stay more or less in place with these jumps.
Lemmy runs on his ball while launching balls that bounce you. He shoots more of them and faster as he takes damage. Giving him wings makes him bounce the ball he rides.
Roy burrows and pops out either on the ground or on the roof of the area he is in. Creating a shock wave and shooting fireballs between burrowing. Giving him wings makes him jump out of his burrows and fake you out by not always coming out when he first appears
Morton sends out fireballs that travel on the ground after doing a ground pound. Giving him wings causes him do to fake out ground pounds.
Ludwig sends out three fireballs at once and flies around between shots on his last hit he sends out five at once. Giving him wings causes him to fly around shooting multiple bursts of fireballs

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the new SMW sprites for the Koopalings. I always thought they looked weird in the original game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Ugh, are the world maps only available in SMW-style? I was looking forward to having SMB3-style maps, but I can't find an option for them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Main Paineframe posted:

Ugh, are the world maps only available in SMW-style? I was looking forward to having SMB3-style maps, but I can't find an option for them.

Looks like it but some of them use assets from 3.

I hope Nintendo puts up their own super worlds. I’ve enjoyed the levels they’ve made very much and would like more.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I made my world, "Super Petrichor& World!" Okay, so it's not the best name in the world, but I really like the way it came together. It's a classic Super Mario Bros. 3 experience, with one world built from my existing levels, so give it a shot. I'd love any sort of feedback. I posted these levels in this thread a long while back, so you might see something familiar. Anyway, here's the code: 31J-H67-64G.

Yeah, GreatGreen, it would be nice if the final level didn't have to be a castle icon, but that's fine. Getting to make a world is exactly what I wanted. I can't imagine someone making an 8 world game, though!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So we tested a lot of things on tonight's stream. You can watch it here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/598939265?t=00h39m57s

(If the timestamp doesn't work, it's about 39 minutes in).

Some notable finds:

• So the Goomba Mask just kinda... turns off enemy AI. A charging Koopa Car will go back to sleep. Meowser walks back and forth. Even Charvargh just peeks his head out of the lava and goes back under. This works with EVERY ENEMY. It's the wildest thing I've ever seen.

• You can shell jump in SMB1 now. So expect that to be our new Hell.

• The SMB3 Bonus Game in World Maker is noticeably easier than the one in the original SMB3.

• Mario 2 music is in! Ground theme for anything outside. Underground theme for anything inside. Two boss musics, a bonus music, AND the Subcon potion music when you hit a P-Switch.

• Cloud Blocks make the most amazing horrified expression when you destroy them. It's gonna be my new emote.

• One interesting thing I found you can toss is the sideways spring. Could be fun for versus levels.

• Frog Mario has a very good P Speed animation once you get him running.

• P Balloon Mario can't seem to kill any enemies that I've found. Could be good for very tough levels that don't want to rely on just being boring old spike mazes.

• Squirrel Mario can latch onto walls just like in New Super U. It lasts just for a few seconds but the timer resets if you jump to another wall.

Watch the video for more!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fun little intro level to Mario 2, can clear it pretty easy but getting to the bonus room is a lot tougher.

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.

DorianGravy posted:

I made my world, "Super Petrichor& World!" Okay, so it's not the best name in the world, but I really like the way it came together. It's a classic Super Mario Bros. 3 experience, with one world built from my existing levels, so give it a shot. I'd love any sort of feedback. I posted these levels in this thread a long while back, so you might see something familiar. Anyway, here's the code: 31J-H67-64G.

Yeah, GreatGreen, it would be nice if the final level didn't have to be a castle icon, but that's fine. Getting to make a world is exactly what I wanted. I can't imagine someone making an 8 world game, though!

Fantastic world man! Just completed it and it was just the right amount of difficulty and nostalgia for me!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What's with the Ninji that hang out on the maps?

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

You can tell if someone has uploaded a world when looking at their Maker Profile, if there's a little blue square in the top left corner of their icon. I threw together a quick world with a single tough stage path or three easier stage path to the final challenge, you can find it at my maker ID! It uses the "Perfectly ____ Bridge" series of stages and a couple others that I have made before this update.

634-PNP-68G

tonberi fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 22, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I made one more level trying to use all the masks. No sub area and pretty short, hope it's as fun to play as I thought it was when making it :shobon:

Also put my Starlight levels together into a world. Gave the player the default 30 lives given people thought it was hard :v:.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Little Mac posted:

So we tested a lot of things on tonight's stream. You can watch it here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/598939265?t=00h39m57s

(If the timestamp doesn't work, it's about 39 minutes in).

Some notable finds:

• So the Goomba Mask just kinda... turns off enemy AI. A charging Koopa Car will go back to sleep. Meowser walks back and forth. Even Charvargh just peeks his head out of the lava and goes back under. This works with EVERY ENEMY. It's the wildest thing I've ever seen.

• You can shell jump in SMB1 now. So expect that to be our new Hell.

• The SMB3 Bonus Game in World Maker is noticeably easier than the one in the original SMB3.

• Mario 2 music is in! Ground theme for anything outside. Underground theme for anything inside. Two boss musics, a bonus music, AND the Subcon potion music when you hit a P-Switch.

• Cloud Blocks make the most amazing horrified expression when you destroy them. It's gonna be my new emote.

• One interesting thing I found you can toss is the sideways spring. Could be fun for versus levels.

• Frog Mario has a very good P Speed animation once you get him running.

• P Balloon Mario can't seem to kill any enemies that I've found. Could be good for very tough levels that don't want to rely on just being boring old spike mazes.

• Squirrel Mario can latch onto walls just like in New Super U. It lasts just for a few seconds but the timer resets if you jump to another wall.

Watch the video for more!

Surprised you only experimented with Wings for Larry it changes all Koopaling behavior.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can you edit published super worlds or do you have to start over?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

What's with the Ninji that hang out on the maps?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I assume the Ninji's are ghost data from people that cleared your level - or how many players are in the level right now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Kins posted:

That's what I was worried would be the case. Classic Nintendo

edit: :sigh: The bullet bill costume flies for SUCH a short time. You're absolutely killing me here Nintendo

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 22, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macaluso posted:

That's what I was worried would be the case. Classic Nintendo

edit: :sigh: The bullet bill costume flies for SUCH a short time. You're absolutely killing me here Nintendo

7 seconds seems like a good amount of time to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

7 seconds seems like a good amount of time to me.

Okay well it's not

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Okay well it's not
What do you want with it, a full flying level? That was clearly not its intended purpose and if it lasted that long you couldn't use it in lot of other ways where the flight limit is relevant.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Amppelix posted:

What do you want with it, a full flying level? That was clearly not its intended purpose and if it lasted that long you couldn't use it in lot of other ways where the flight limit is relevant.

I do yes. I don't care about the second thing

Alternatively let us choose the flight time. I would like less restrictions on the various course parts. I wish I could turn off the ability to turn the car around and turn off the invincibility too

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 22, 2020

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
If they didn't limit the flight the item will become OP and therefore useless to level creators who want some kind of challenge in their levels.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, to sum it up, not that this is necessarily a complaint... The world maker functions like Endless mode, except:

- you get to choose the levels
- obviously not actually endless
- no limit of 1-ups earned each level
- optional bonus stages available to be included
- can start with however many lives the world creator set

Other than that, that's how it is, right? Again, this is kind of what I was hoping for, though being able to lock in a style to keep the player's status consistent or carry over items between levels would've been awesome. This is still pretty great!

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Made a level to mess with the SMB2 stuff and Mechakoopas. Nothing impressive, but I thought it was fine.
LPJ-G89-CWF

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also final Bowser in 3D Land. That Bowser still remains my favorite Bowser to fight.

Anyways, with this, I was thinking of finally trying to put together a Mario game of my dreams. The worlds would consist of three worlds themed around specific levels, 4 worlds themed around each of the 4 playable characters (mainly in the sense that you'd probably get the most out of it if you switched to that character) and the final world would be the difficult one and would be themed around Bowser.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Macaluso posted:

It may be short, but the bullet bill helmet also floats in the air when placed, and will refuel an ongoing flight if picked up.

Edit: as per GameXplain, touching a twister refuels it too. And these also work for the propeller block.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

totempoleman posted:

Fantastic world man! Just completed it and it was just the right amount of difficulty and nostalgia for me!

Thanks! I put quite a lot of time into it, and I'm pleased with how it turned out. I wish you could add a few sentences at the begining and end to give a bit more story, and it would be neat if you could pick a different person or item to get taken. (It's slightly disappointing how Peach always gets kidnapped.)

Anyway, I'll definitely check out some levels and worlds from this thread this afternoon, so keep posting everyone!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, to sum it up, not that this is necessarily a complaint... The world maker functions like Endless mode, except:

- you get to choose the levels
- obviously not actually endless
- no limit of 1-ups earned each level
- optional bonus stages available to be included
- can start with however many lives the world creator set

Other than that, that's how it is, right? Again, this is kind of what I was hoping for, though being able to lock in a style to keep the player's status consistent or carry over items between levels would've been awesome. This is still pretty great!

Another benefit is that once you find a high-quality world, your can keep playing excellent levels without having to enter new codes. In endless, the quality fluctuates so much that it's harder to get into a good rhythm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Course World is actually making it easier for me to design courses. When making individual levels, I always felt like I had to make each one a showpiece, demonstrating a clever gimmick or cute concept, so that players would feel like trying my other levels. But with Course World around, I actually feel comfortable designing simpler levels--whereas before, I'd spend days coming up with and working around a unique central idea, now I feel like I've been freed up to make levels that slowly ramp up and focus around much more basic constructs, eg: "what if... conveyor belts... and there are enemies on them?"