Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Well, guess Sweden is doing the right thing after all. COVID has lowered their average death rates! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Det_no posted:

Man. There's a shitload of covid deaths in Mexico and it's loving me up a bit. We got 9500 confirmed cases, about 8000 suspected and 83K estimated cases out on the wild yet we also have 857 deaths. Brazil in the meantime has 43K confirmed but only 2741 deaths.

I dunno what's going on or perhaps more importantly how they are counting these fuckers but it's making me anxious.

Not having a global standard for counting how things work is really bad for understanding how roni is going. There are a lot of people with money riding on hiding a lot of information and it will kill a massive amount of people worldwide if ego / money wasn't at stake.

Practice your safety routines and don't stress about the numbers. Do what you can control and laugh at the rest.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Det_no posted:

Man. There's a shitload of covid deaths in Mexico and it's loving me up a bit. We got 9500 confirmed cases, about 8000 suspected and 83K estimated cases out on the wild yet we also have 857 deaths. Brazil in the meantime has 43K confirmed but only 2741 deaths.

I dunno what's going on or perhaps more importantly how they are counting these fuckers but it's making me anxious.

Theres variation based on peoples general health and access to healthcare but the most common cause of an unusually high CFR is that you're undercounting the cases by more than usual and its a lot more widespread than you think.

Sweden has a 10% CFR too what with its complete lack of social distancing and AMLO was really intent on not taking this seriously and hoping it just goes away. He wasn't preparing when this started going hogwild in California and Colorado and other places with huge Mexican American populations that travel back home.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Earthquake at 12:06a on Earth Day bring it :kazooieass:

https://twitter.com/lastquake/status/1252865741935656961?s=21

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 09:27 on Apr 22, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

https://twitter.com/Lghara93/status/1233050424690782209?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Det_no posted:

my friend in monclova said you can be ticketed for not having a mask and they're enforcing things pretty strictly. then down in monterrey and saltillo there are no rules and it's spreading like wildfire

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Anyone buy a bidet earlier in the crisis? Or already have one?

Now that they're becoming available again I'm looking for goon recommendations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

I've had one for years

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

speaking of excess deaths the FT estimates the death toll in the UK is north of 40,000. seems bad!

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1252871633510916098

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

I actually perfected my diet in 2007 and no longer poop. My butthole is exclusively used for sex and medical purposes now.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

i say swears online posted:

my friend in monclova said you can be ticketed for not having a mask and they're enforcing things pretty strictly. then down in monterrey and saltillo there are no rules and it's spreading like wildfire

Saltillo has apparently closed and is prohibiting entrance to anyone from Monterrey but who knows. You guys are right though, not much to do other than hunker down. Wish I could buy more things from home.

Det_no has issued a correction as of 09:46 on Apr 22, 2020

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My diet is imperfect and my rear end is too sloppy for a bidet. I have to use several beach towels and a full bottle of Dawn 4x Platinum dish soap as I squat over a fire hydrant making sure to keep my dangling old man balls out of the blast zone.

e: wait, this isn't the D&D Biden thread

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Inceltown posted:

I actually perfected my diet in 2007 and no longer poop. My butthole is exclusively used for sex and medical purposes now.

Where do your posts come from then?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

gay picnic defence posted:

Where do your posts come from then?

Reduce, re-use, recycle is the mantra.

I could not reduce so I am now just using the posts I made but did not post. Recycling is just hippy claptrap by and large so I ignore that unless quote posting.

ne: I really enjoyed your post btw. It was quality clap back.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ICMB posted:

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Pages/press-release-04-21-20-early.aspx

Apparently they’ve found covid in people who died in Santa Clara in early *February*

Yeah it's been here forever and going on early March lockdown is probably the reason it hasn't been much, much worse. The county pulled 300 ventilators out of nowhere (they offered $1000 to anyone with an old/broken ventilator and started repairing them) over the past few weeks anticipating a surge but both hospitalization and in-use ventilator count hasn't been going up so we currently have 500 spare out of 700 total.

But none of that actually matters because we're not an island so anyone can come in here and infect a hundred people.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

lol no politician except maybe him would survive such a declaration

how could you possibly stay mad at Japanese Kermit the Frog though.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's going to be dope if you're immune and live in Atlanta

Houses in Buckhead will be going for like $30,000 after whitey self-terminates by going to church and eating at a buffet to own the libs.

sucks if you bought a bunch of houses on the south end of Atlanta expecting to cash in on those sweet, sweet gentrification bux, lol

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Inceltown posted:

Here in Australia we're about the best you can hope for in keeping it under control and we'd build nukes and nuke ourselves before having that conversation.

Not really. We were told "at least the next 6 months" back in March and more recently there's been talk of some degree of social distancing being necessary until the end of the year.

Where it gets interesting is that a lot of the legislation passed to address covid-19 was very short-term. If we can maintain our current low growth rate as restrictions are eased, people aren't going to be supportive of extending the period for which that legislation is active.

We can probably get the majority of the Australian public to voluntarily maintain social distancing behaviour throughout winter. Spring and summer will present a massive challenge, though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Saw this live in Too Shy Guy's stream on Twitch tonight.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I just want everyone to know that NZ brags about how well they're doing but Australia released a plague ship of known roni people on the continent and we're doing about the same.

Step your game up Kiwis. Sure you might beat us at the Rugby but we're winning the normal + plague ship contest.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lolie posted:

Not really. We were told "at least the next 6 months" back in March and more recently there's been talk of some degree of social distancing being necessary until the end of the year.

Where it gets interesting is that a lot of the legislation passed to address covid-19 was very short-term. If we can maintain our current low growth rate as restrictions are eased, people aren't going to be supportive of extending the period for which that legislation is active.

We can probably get the majority of the Australian public to voluntarily maintain social distancing behaviour throughout winter. Spring and summer will present a massive challenge, though.

We got told "6+ months+" by people who will say anything to stay in a job till next Mondays Oz. That's not the same as policy.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
data from switzerland (where the hospitals never got overwhelmed): from 1142 covid deaths so far, only 7 were people under 49.

815 were people 80 or older.

poty has issued a correction as of 10:17 on Apr 22, 2020

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey is there specifically a thread for anti-lockdown protests or a place to discuss them because lol they're the best

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Lolie posted:

Not really.

Yes loving really, we're at 74 deaths total, that is light years ahead of how bad it could've gone. In the last week we're at single digit case increases. There's been mistakes sure but to this point the authorities (apart from the Police fines) have acted pretty well.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

poty posted:

data from switzerland (where the hospitals never got overwhelmed): from 1142 covid deaths so far, only 7 were people under 49. 815 were people 80 or older.

I used to hate double spacing but 49.815 being an age was kind of too specific.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Inceltown posted:

I used to hate double spacing but 49.815 being an age was kind of too specific.

edited now to prevent jokes

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Schnorkles posted:

disgusting

mods?

I'll allow it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

poty posted:

edited now to prevent jokes

Nah, it was on me to read that not you to post it. You had the space there. I just had an :aaaaa: moment where I realised why double space may be important.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sphyre posted:

speaking of excess deaths the FT estimates the death toll in the UK is north of 40,000. seems bad!

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1252871633510916098

it's going to be proportionally worse than this in the US. :rip:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/SpaethFlies/status/1252890297970954240

put your head in the giant teeth

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

twoday posted:

I'll allow it

lol who made you a mod

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

did everyone just suddenly forget that air loving moves anywhere it wants?

Yeah cool you put up a sneeze guard, that should protect you from germs for the ~0.2 seconds until the air swirls around that plastic and sticks the virus into your lungs.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Stereotype posted:

lol who made you a mod

Me

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Yeah cool you put up a sneeze guard, that should protect you from germs for the ~0.2 seconds until the air swirls around that plastic and sticks the virus into your lungs.

this is just Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge happening to late-stage capitalism

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

make me mod too!!!

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

people are dumb as gently caress

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Quantum Shart posted:

Yes loving really, we're at 74 deaths total, that is light years ahead of how bad it could've gone. In the last week we're at single digit case increases. There's been mistakes sure but to this point the authorities (apart from the Police fines) have acted pretty well.

My "not really" was in response to the claim that we'd nuke ourselves before having a conversation about the possibility of covid restrictions persisting years into the future rather than months.

We have done an amazing job by world standards, and even moreso given that we were slow to move and had a couple of colossal gently caress ups along the way.

The public Senate hearings into our response start Thursday. They're being televised and should make interesting viewing.

Lolie has issued a correction as of 10:45 on Apr 22, 2020

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

listen, if i can't see it, then it's not real. like jail, i assure myself, as i close my eyes and...

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i mean if you combine it with a good mask the thing acts as a face-shield and should avoid a direct hit to the eyes... its not so different from the hospital ppe

although if youre gonna have to wear a mask you might as well wear goggles too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

everybody covers the mouth, some the nose, but none the eyes. hello? t he revolving doors of the body!! completelky unlocked. covid hits the eye, makes its way to the brain, crack ping, now i am MAGA!