Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rainbow Knight posted:

Don't know why you guys don't call the freeways by their full names

The San Diego freeway

The riverside freeway

The Costa mesa freeway

lol my mom used to call 101 "Redwood Highway" all the time which I guess is technically true but it's not labeled that and no one else says it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Nah, exit numbers are great for situations like where Mission crosses the freeway multiple times. That one got generations of new drivers on the way to San Jose.

You mean where the freeway crosses Mission :colbert:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Nybble posted:

As a transplant from the East Coast, there are many things I find confusing about your highways and how they are referred to... but the absolute worst part is the fact that highway off ramps are allergic to Exit numbers.

Honestly, I feel that as long as New Jersey exists, we don't get to complain too much about road labels out here. :v:

I bought my first GPS in 2009 after spending hours lost in Jersey, not a street sign to be found anywhere. It made that big map book wonderfully useless.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Was born and Rasied in Los Angeles as a second generation one the east side into the SGV. I didn't know the freeways had names until I was like 25, same for not knowing that the radio told us how busy traffic was, also sort of half remembering that exits have numbers.

Because all that poo poo doesn't matter to a person raised on it. I just know when a freeway has traffic. I know what exits to take to get to where I want. And if I am going somewhere new, -GPS or I'll figure it out. It's not that miserable. Like there is a loving pride in knowing how to get anywhere via back streets.

It's like being a fish swimming in water. It's only weird when some gangly rear end human jumps in and twitches their weird body. The rest of the country likes to make a billion words for the same stupid thing. The 10 can go from Los Angeles to Jacksonville Florida, while the "Christopher Columbus Transcontinental Highway" only goes to the California boarder.

The reason you Nor Cal Bastards dropped the "the" is because you don't deal with enough new people, places, or things on a daily basis where you need the "the" to figure out what the nouns are.

"I'm going to running store."
"You're going to go running?"
"Now I'm going to THE running store."
"oooh."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Comin up the Nimitz, through the Maze, cross the bridge, then onto the James Lick, gonna get off at Army.

e. that's the MacArthur Maze, if you wanna be formal about it

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 20, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Would be cool if we took this depression-induced drop in traffic to rip out the freeways and replace the interstate highway system with trains. Hella cool.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

Would be cool if we took this depression-induced drop in traffic to rip out the freeways and replace the interstate highway system with trains. Hella cool.

Don't be ridiculous; what would Marin think?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

Caltrans has already moved the 101 Alemany project to replace bridge decks by the 101/280 split in SF from July to "late april" since there's no traffic to be disrupted.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is weird because the only signage I've ever seen referring to the San Diego Freeway have been on the 405. But the freeway names are all from an earlier era so maybe such signs existed on the southern portion of the 5 back in the 60's.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Sundae posted:

Nah, some people change after I've beaten it out of them a few times. :v: My favorites, though, are people who live in San Jose calling San Francisco "the city."

Well, the Winchester Mystery House and Santana Row are not quite enough to qualify San Jose as a real city.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Sundae posted:

Honestly, I feel that as long as New Jersey exists, we don't get to complain too much about road labels out here. :v:

I bought my first GPS in 2009 after spending hours lost in Jersey, not a street sign to be found anywhere. It made that big map book wonderfully useless.

Try driving in Boston, where they have sunken roads going at highway speed that split into two tunnels or ramps with almost no signage. Massive broken glass piles at every intersection.

Yeah, I'm talking about you Storrow Drive - gently caress you

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

predicto posted:

Try driving in Boston, where they have sunken roads going at highway speed that split into two tunnels or ramps with almost no signage. Massive broken glass piles at every intersection.

Yeah, I'm talking about you Storrow Drive - gently caress you

All I've ever driven in Maine was leaving the airport and heading North to Maine, then back. That was plenty. I will say this in partial excuse for Boston drivers, the roads there suck and would make assholes out of saints.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Nybble posted:

As a transplant from the East Coast, there are many things I find confusing about your highways and how they are referred to... but the absolute worst part is the fact that highway off ramps are allergic to Exit numbers.

There are exit numbers but they're on baby signs on the side of the road. Also I'm pretty sure all exit signs have numbers on them anyway so idk what hellish part of the state you drive in

But maybe east coast exit signs are in Dragonspeak or something

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/VickiGonzaleztv/status/1252312730989588480

peep All Gas No Brakes at 0:25

and I'm pretty sure the woman who called the cops on the BBQ at Lake Merritt is there

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rainbow Knight posted:

Don't know why you guys don't call the freeways by their full names

The San Diego freeway

The riverside freeway

The Costa mesa freeway

I enjoy using their full names for fun. My favorite is the Ort J Lufthaus freeway in Stockton.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I don't think anybody uses this one: https://www.pasorobles-usa.com/VernSturgeon01.jpg

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rename “Cahon Pass” to “LAPD Officer Christopher Dorner Memorial Pass”

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FCKGW posted:

Rename “Cahon Pass” to “LAPD Officer Christopher Dorner Memorial Pass”

Exit 404?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I don't think I've ever had a positive experience with a police officer.

The first time I met a police officer it was a friend of the family, LAPD. She bragged about beating a mentally ill man. They had detained the man and he bit one of the officers, so in retaliation they turned off the lights of the police car so no one would see and beat him.

The second time I was in San Diego with my stepmom and we got pulled over by a cop who tried to hit on my stepmom. I don't even think he gave a ticket.

The third time was in LA again, and I was looking for a payphone because my phone had died so I asked a cop if he knew of a nearby payphone. He told me "where the hell would you find a payphone nowadays" and then looked away to ignore me.

Hmm, I'm not sure if it's just bad apples...

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

We've generally had okay interactions with the sheriff's deputies out here but not so great interactions with the police in the nearby city. And then my dad had a bad interaction with the local DA decades ago who tried to make some bullshit case on him.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
My mom said I should just tell them the truth. So I did and got charged. My mom was stupid. Cops are worse.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

droll posted:

My mom said I should just tell them the truth. So I did and got charged. My mom was stupid. Cops are worse.

It's probably what she learned in school though when she was little.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Saw what I feel is a very SoCal thing today. I was out walking my dog and this hipster looking guy was zipping along on an electric scooter in the bike lane on the other side of the street. He had his phone in one hand and some kind of drink in the other and was steering by resting his wrists on the handlebars. Since he wasn't looking where he was going he plowed into a parked car at full speed, smashing the rear turn signal glass and bounced his head off the trunk. He got up, shook himself off, saw me looking at him, hopped back on his scooter and rode off leaving a pile of broken plastic and green drink behind.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

lol my mom used to call 101 "Redwood Highway" all the time which I guess is technically true but it's not labeled that and no one else says it

I think this is really cute :3: and it's what the highway should be renamed to.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Some and some here.

I got pulled over with my mother while we were riding bikes in the street. After the officer was spending a load of time talking to us about traffic laws and we got to watch white kids across the street breaking more laws than he said we did, my mom said, "if you're going to give me a ticket, give me a ticket. Otherwise, let us go." He tried to give her some poo poo about being nice and she pointed to the kids, he looked over. He then was silent for a moment before getting in his cruiser and driving off in the opposite direction.

I've also done dog vaccination campaigns with local law enforcement (combination of police and animal control) where the local homeless seemed to talk to and like the two (? or so) officers I was with, and they took me to the biggest local homeless encampment and I vaccinated the dogs that lived with the homeless people and everybody was cool and awesome.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

This was my story until I spent some time in Oregon and Washington. Now I can say Ive had more than zero at least somewhat positive experiences.

Cops in CA are a gang. (Sometimes literally-literally.)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

predicto posted:

Well, the Winchester Mystery House and Santana Row are not quite enough to qualify San Jose as a real city.

Bill Burr's city tours and roasts are pretty amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LP4oJcMOO4

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

He complained about chain restaurants just as he passed falafel drive in. I was trying to think where I’d recommend someone go for tacos downtown. My first instinct is La Vic, but I think I just like it for nostalgia’s sake...,

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
La Vics is poo poo and their sauce is overrated. Iguanas is a block away and a better Mexican joint in pretty much every way.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

etalian posted:

that was a pro-click

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

The first time I met a police officer it was a friend of the family, LAPD. She bragged about beating a mentally ill man. They had detained the man and he bit one of the officers, so in retaliation they turned off the lights of the police car so no one would see and beat him.

The second time I was in San Diego with my stepmom and we got pulled over by a cop who tried to hit on my stepmom. I don't even think he gave a ticket.

The third time was in LA again, and I was looking for a payphone because my phone had died so I asked a cop if he knew of a nearby payphone. He told me "where the hell would you find a payphone nowadays" and then looked away to ignore me.

Hmm, I'm not sure if it's just bad apples...

I've had what I'm guessing is the Average White Experience with cops which is calling them because I needed someone to tell me they couldn't help me after I was robbed at gun point, had my car broken into, had my house broken into, was bitten by someone's dog while jogging, or had my house was broken into a second time.

The funniest experience I've had with a cop was one pulling me over inside of a parking garage to write me a ticket for driving the wrong way through the garage. At some point during the ticket writing the cop noticed my car was facing the same direction as the giant arrow painted on the ground and told me I was free to go.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sydin posted:

La Vics is poo poo and their sauce is overrated. Iguanas is a block away and a better Mexican joint in pretty much every way.

I know these are always fighting words but I think after many meany years I’ve found the best taqueria in the bay. It’s Tacos Ameca in Gilroy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean I don't even live near downtown anymore so my go-to taqueria is the one attached to the Chavez Supermarket two blocks from my house. It's actually really good and they make their tortillas and sauces/salsas all in house.

The only Mexican place around here I have strong feelings about is La Vics because it's right off the SJSU campus, and when I was going there loving everybody I knew always wanted to go there. I ate there enough to try almost their entire menu and nothing was particularly good. Then a roommate took me to Iguanas literally right around the corner and it was great, at which point I never set foot in La Vics again.

etalian posted:

Eight minutes in and he's already pointed out nobody is riding the trains. :negative:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

predicto posted:

that was a pro-click

Made me laugh about the time I someone convinced me to visit santana row in SJ and it was just as cheesy/artificial as Bill Burr points out.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sydin posted:

I mean I don't even live near downtown anymore so my go-to taqueria is the one attached to the Chavez Supermarket two blocks from my house. It's actually really good and they make their tortillas and sauces/salsas all in house.

The only Mexican place around here I have strong feelings about is La Vics because it's right off the SJSU campus, and when I was going there loving everybody I knew always wanted to go there. I ate there enough to try almost their entire menu and nothing was particularly good. Then a roommate took me to Iguanas literally right around the corner and it was great, at which point I never set foot in La Vics again.

iguana's has the burrito with the french fries in it instead of rice, so they are clearly superior

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iguana's has the burrito with the french fries in it instead of rice, so they are clearly superior

california vs mission burrito preference will be the shibboleth that sets off the norcal/socal civil war

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cali burrito top pick:

rf beans
rice
light pico to make room for ketchup
fries
light guac

-

Couple people in my neighborhood are stating they're getting 4,000 (450/wk + 600/wk) a month right now in Unemployment, their pre-tax total. Do you guys think the CARES act will be retroactively taxed next year?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 23, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

what the gently caress

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

I live in downtown San Jose and it’s nice enough because unlike the bulk of this suburban hellscape I can avoid driving for the most part. But I keep joking to my wife that there’s no way to know a lockdown was happening, since there’s never anyone downtown to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

luminalflux posted:

california vs mission burrito preference will be the shibboleth that sets off the norcal/socal civil war

That's silly, why wou--

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

cali burrito top pick:

rf beans
rice
fries
light guac

Signing up for the NorCal Militia right now.