Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

This panel is kind of freaking me out.

Smolomon-David

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Quoth a YouTube comment: "Me after taking my antidepressants."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoZUjxstIZs

Extremely related, I've also fallen in love with 'genre shift' remixes.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Fister Roboto posted:

This panel is kind of freaking me out.

He's just doing some squats while he waits for his next fight.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I think the perspective on that panel looks fine? It could probably be better, I guess, but it doesn't look wrong to me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Phy posted:

I don't think that's the way she's going with this. On the tumblr, when he was still using it, Operant said the Petal Knights "forsook the Law" to "seek life's pleasures" and I don't think that's what White Chain is doing here

unless you count sticking it to the man as a hedonist pursuit

But according to the RPG, there are also petal knights off living happy, quiet lives in isolation. We just see the ones in the comic getting by in urban parts of throne, using their skills as best they can to make money.

Also according to Operant the petal knights are the coolest and have their poo poo most together of all the angels

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

PMush Perfect posted:

Pistil Knight?

does she have enough stamena?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I think the perspective on that panel looks fine? It could probably be better, I guess, but it doesn't look wrong to me.

It's definitely the foot that makes it weird. Without that, it just looks stylized.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But according to the RPG, there are also petal knights off living happy, quiet lives in isolation. We just see the ones in the comic getting by in urban parts of throne, using their skills as best they can to make money.

Also according to Operant the petal knights are the coolest and have their poo poo most together of all the angels

The one Petal Knight we've seen in the comic itself was extorting some guy and breaking teacups, which is pretty significant imagery. That kinda sets the tone for what's appropriate to expect from them until we meet any more of them. When they say "be gay, do crimes" I don't think that's the kind of crime they're usually talking about.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

The one Petal Knight we've seen in the comic itself was extorting some guy and breaking teacups, which is pretty significant imagery. That kinda sets the tone for what's appropriate to expect from them until we meet any more of them. When they say "be gay, do crimes" I don't think that's the kind of crime they're usually talking about.

Delicious was also a Petal Knight.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

akulanization posted:

Delicious was also a Petal Knight.

Ah, right. The one pictured there is 33 Judicious Rains Sear the Unrepentant.

23 Liminal Blossom Punctures the Heart of the Unrepentant, Deliciously is just a mercenary.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bongo Bill posted:

23 Liminal Blossom Punctures the Heart of the Unrepentant, Deliciously is just a mercenary.

This is the sort of name that makes you really wanna read the whole text.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

PMush Perfect posted:

It's definitely the foot that makes it weird. Without that, it just looks stylized.

Either I'm looking at a foot and seeing shadow, or you're looking at shadow and seeing a foot, because I don't actually see any feet in that panel.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Either I'm looking at a foot and seeing shadow, or you're looking at shadow and seeing a foot, because I don't actually see any feet in that panel.

That's 'cause they edited the foot out for that one to show that it doesn't look weird without the foot

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I also think that panel looks fine. :shrug:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

MagusDraco posted:

That's 'cause they edited the foot out for that one to show that it doesn't look weird without the foot

Oh. Whoops. Yeah I can kind of see how the feet are making it weirder, now that I look at the original again. I still think the original is really good though. That kind of perspective shot is really hard to pull off.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The panel is fine, y'all are going to give Operant a complex.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's the same kind of distorted perspective you get with a wide-angle lens up close to the subject.

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah just like that!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

I always wonder what kind of lens does that. Or if they adjust in Photoshop afterwards.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Twibbit posted:

I always wonder what kind of lens does that. Or if they adjust in Photoshop afterwards.

No special lens, that's just how foreshortening is. If you look at long things from certain close up angles with your own eyes, you'll see they look like this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, so our brains are fucky. I really shouldn't be surprised by this.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Twibbit posted:

It looks like this.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

This is the reason he doesn't pop up in this thread very much, you dinguses.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A Single Sphink posted:

This is the reason he doesn't pop up in this thread very much, you dinguses.
I didn't even think it was the whole image, I just thought his foot looked small. :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also the effect of the panel simultaneously having him in really powerful posture but overall smaller than you thought works really well for the text on said panel

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Happy Underpants posted:

This man was the only person to ever defeat Meti. He lived a meaningless life of mediocrity and noodles. He often threw his head back and laughed at how bullshit everything was. He achieved royalty by having no time or concern for it. He was buried in a plain grave and mourned only by the more devoted of his family and a few fans of his noodles. He was the smallest and most meager crawling thing. He had and will have no equal.

Royalty is a continuous :jerkbag: -ing motion

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Diogenes' days of being one of humanity's royalest individuals are certainly coming to a middle

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Potato Salad posted:

:jerkbag: -ing everything is easy. That's just being an edgy teenager.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

When Meti says that being a noodle vendor is a good thing to be, it isn't because noodle vendors don't care, it's because they care very deeply about something that makes people's lives better in a way you can actually control, without becoming a horrible control freak who ruins everyone around you.

You don't succeed by not caring - Incubus doesn't care. You succeed by caring very deeply about very close things.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tulip posted:

Incubus doesn't care

I believe you will find Incubus cares really intensely and utterly about some things. Like winning. He cares about winning a lot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tulip posted:

When Meti says that being a noodle vendor is a good thing to be, it isn't because noodle vendors don't care, it's because they care very deeply about something that makes people's lives better in a way you can actually control, without becoming a horrible control freak who ruins everyone around you.
Yeah. She didn't tell Maya to go be irrelevant, she told her to go be fat and happy, have a family, and simple, steady, concrete work. To live a life that's good and personally gratifying.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Incubus also deeply cares about RC cars, but he never finds an opportunity to bring it up

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It just looks wierd cause he's jacked

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Niavmai posted:

i am completely, 100% certain he is not stopping time, and you are just reading his speed as such. if he were stopping time, that would be explicitly stated to us. he is infact, just really fuckin fast.

could be, but why would it be explicitly stated?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The secret to Solomon's apparently unflappable decorousness is his ability to perform rude gestures faster than most observers can perceive.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MinutePirateBug posted:

could be, but why would it be explicitly stated?

When he first starts his attack his victims are clearly still moving as one of them is able to throw knives

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Petal knights are reviled and practically outlaws among their own kind just by existing publicly. It stands to reason that any petal knight that dares to live in an urban area is likely to be drawn to a life of crime.

And again, I'm not making up the thing about some being nonviolent and solitary, it's straight from the RPG book:

Not all Petal Knights are ruthless or exploitive,
and some merely live solitary live away from their
brethren and the stifling rules of their order, seeking
the indulgences of mortal life denied to them for
so long.

Petal knights aren't more evil - they're more human.

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah. She didn't tell Maya to go be irrelevant, she told her to go be fat and happy, have a family, and simple, steady, concrete work. To live a life that's good and personally gratifying.

Although if Maya followed that advice she'd probably be dead from famine or war.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 23, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Although if Maya followed that advice she'd probably be dead from famine or war.

Violence is inescapable, saith the Very Wise Frog.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

read this a few years ago, greatly enjoyed it, but petered out during the leadup to the yre heist because of the (understandably) slow pace of updates. today someone on these dead gay forums mentioned it in a context I've already forgotten. several hours later I've reread literally the entire thing plus the stuff I hadn't seen before.

I guess murderous kung fu hindu anime on hallucinogens is compelling reading.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

World War Mammories posted:

murderous kung fu gay hindu anime on hallucinogens

Fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Petal knights are reviled and practically outlaws among their own kind just by existing publicly. It stands to reason that any petal knight that dares to live in an urban area is likely to be drawn to a life of crime.

And again, I'm not making up the thing about some being nonviolent and solitary, it's straight from the RPG book:

Not all Petal Knights are ruthless or exploitive,
and some merely live solitary live away from their
brethren and the stifling rules of their order, seeking
the indulgences of mortal life denied to them for
so long.

Petal knights aren't more evil - they're more human.

The way I take it is that Petal Knights have abandoned any alliegence to a
higher duty in favour of self-indulgence. Which is not what WC is doing here. She's recognising that there are other important things as well as just the strict law, but she's choosing to act on morality.