Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MORE MAPS

Watersheds

Freight railways by company. Don't know how up to date this is, it was on a model train site?

Oil and Gas pipelines
https://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas/wells-to-consumer/transporting-oil-natural-gas/pipeline/where-are-the-pipelines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

etalian posted:

Also the last time the US tried a military action in Cuba with a worm invasion it didn't go so well.

And it isnt like Iraq and Afghanistan are shining examples of anything but grift.

Mayor Dave posted:

one of the funniest things about the military industrial complex is that they've put the pork all over the country so pretty much every one of these balkanized regions will have access to all sorts of weapons manufacture right from the get go

Yah, but it is all spread out. Like, you end up with a factory that just makes the tail fins for cruise missiles.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I look forward to joining the New Jersey Defense Corps to secure our pork roll reserves

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

MORE MAPS

Watersheds

Freight railways by company. Don't know how up to date this is, it was on a model train site?

Oil and Gas pipelines
https://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas/wells-to-consumer/transporting-oil-natural-gas/pipeline/where-are-the-pipelines

bing bong

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

anime was right posted:

the biggest asset the feds have is information that state and local governments may not have, such as the NSA

lol if WA breaks off and Amazon/MS decide to stop cooperating with that I'm sure it will break down pretty quickly

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

Thread makes me want to learn about LDS leadership because if they come to national prominence politically, power struggles inside that church will become more pronounced and important.

probably a LOT less than you would think. it's run like a dictatorship

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Atrocious Joe posted:

Thread makes me want to learn about LDS leadership because if they come to national prominence politically, power struggles inside that church will become more pronounced and important. What'll happen to that one sort of prophecy about Mormons saving the constitution too?

Also I doubt the US Catholic Church would be very important. They've tried to dump and hide a lot of their financial wealth to avoid lawsuits, and there's too many weird factions in the laity for it to be a cohesive movement. You've got the CHUD protestant-lites, immigrant families, and then the small but elite Trad Cath converts. Locally I can see arch-diocese or even certain parishes being political players though.

Lots of not white people live in the Midwest

Can't wait for the Midwest to put some howitzers on barges to try to secure safe shipping rights with no taxation down the Mississippi

LDS leadership is literally a gerontocracy

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Mayor Dave posted:

There will still be intercontinental trade, and if anything it actually empowers the hinterlands because they could implement import/export taxes on goods passing through the country

What's more likely though is parts of Colorado being set up as a Western Pact satellite state to secure that sweet sweet river water

you only get to set up a toll empire if your land is defensible. denmark was an island nation with the most powerful navy in the baltic, allowing them to become the richest kingdom in europe for an extended period of time. denver is like the least defensible territory on the planet (from the east)

i would hope we get nabbed up by the west but utah is in the way and mormons will be a power. i think its most likely colorado falls to texas, who's northern boarder will be parts of wyoming

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol if WA breaks off and Amazon/MS decide to stop cooperating with that I'm sure it will break down pretty quickly

in all these maps and speculating I forget about corporate entities who are gonna make big moves in a balkanized America

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I don't think I'd be willing to fight for California (or any nation for that matter). However I would gladly pay my income taxes to California. And I'd get on that Bear Flag passport too. :)

Perhaps the burden of having to take on all the pressures of becoming a fledgling nation will make it easier to pass a reform to abolish Prop 13. I would certainly be happy to work for that as well.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jon Irenicus posted:

in all these maps and speculating I forget about corporate entities who are gonna make big moves in a balkanized America

yeah, that's gonna be the biggest play. there's gonna be people that can be like "wait, i can own an entire country now?" instead of like, only paying kickbacks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vernii posted:

Indiana is pretty easy to justify; other than NW Indiana, the rest of the state may as well be a colony of Indianapolis. The metro area has 1/3 of the state's population, most of the wealth, and almost every state and interstate highway converge on Indianapolis. It creates a strategic situation where Indianapolis couldn't afford to let any of the rest of the state go lest its supply lines get cut, and the rest of the state doesn't have the population or resources to resist.

Considering Indiana couldn't successfully force the NW and SW into switching to eastern time I'm not sure how much power Indianapolis actually has.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

I look forward to joining the New Jersey Defense Corps to secure our pork roll reserves

its taylor ham

are you even from jersey!? god drat

DrSunshine posted:

I don't think I'd be willing to fight for California (or any nation for that matter).

lol at the idea of "choice" in a balkanization scenario

RaySmuckles has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Apr 23, 2020

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

i for one bow down to lord bezos of the san amazon

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Another map for consideration. This is based on a survey from last year. I wonder how the Midwestern Partnership will change this map going forward?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

not an endorsement posted:

i for one bow down to lord bezos of the san amazon

Pax Amazona

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

its taylor ham

are you even from jersey!? god drat

wow it must suck to be loving WRONG BITCH

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kentucky isn't South or Midwest, but a festering combination of the worst parts of both.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

anime was right posted:

yeah, that's gonna be the biggest play. there's gonna be people that can be like "wait, i can own an entire country now?" instead of like, only paying kickbacks.

Yeah its going to be a war between the different oligarchs over control. Some real Game of Thrones poo poo.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

animist posted:

broke: Spec Ops: the Line in Dubai

woke: Spec Ops: the Line in Riyadh

bespoke: Spec Ops: the Line in Vegas
:captainpop:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

LDS leadership is literally a gerontocracy

They are also insanely rich, I remember reading a IRS whistle blower report how the church has +100 billion stashed away in various tax havens.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Good soup! posted:

105th Breaking Balls Brigade

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

etalian posted:

105th Breaking Balls Brigade

:hmmyes:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

etalian posted:

They are also insanely rich, I remember reading a IRS whistle blower report how the church has +100 billion stashed away in various tax havens.

One of the biggest private landholders in the country, for example they own 2% of Florida

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mr.Radar posted:

Another map for consideration. This is based on a survey from last year. I wonder how the Midwestern Partnership will change this map going forward?

new albany, indiana getting loving owned

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well at least with NE Pact military forces you can hear them from miles away.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

anime was right posted:

Their wealth is almost all stocks and wall st. bulshit, and can easily become worthless.

However, there are certainly some companies that know how to hire and deploy private security.

A lot of currently wealthy companies are going to be bit players since their wealth is do intangible. What would be interesting is something like a Halliburton or KBR grabbing some critical infrastructure, putting troops on it to get some concessions.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

One of the biggest private landholders in the country, for example they own 2% of Florida

The most realistic thing in The Expanse was how the Space Mormons built a big beautiful spaceship and are still annoying in the future.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

actually the more i think about it the more it looks like the greater san francisco metropolitan area will become a clusterfuck with its highly progressive population but high density of ultra-powerful tech companies and adjacency to a great many federal/state institutions in the sacramento area

warzone

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

not an endorsement posted:

actually the more i think about it the more it looks like the greater san francisco metropolitan area will become a clusterfuck with its highly progressive population but high density of ultra-powerful tech companies and adjacency to a great many federal/state institutions in the sacramento area

warzone

san francisco will go full snow crash

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

wow it must suck to be loving WRONG BITCH

buddy, you just opened yourself up to a WORLD OF HURT

you must be from the lovely pennsylvania side of jersey

we pity you, you know

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Atrocious Joe posted:

So the Eastern US and West Coast are connected by only two rail companies with about three chokepoints each

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
It's hilarious how developed the eastern half of the country is compared to the west.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

animist posted:

broke: Spec Ops: the Line in Dubai

woke: Spec Ops: the Line in Riyadh

bespoke: Spec Ops: the Line in Vegas

will happily volunteer to work on this sequel

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

they own over a million acres of land in north america

also deseret ranch in florida alone is 670k acres and has the largest beef ranch in the world

Spergin Morlock has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Apr 23, 2020

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

anime was right posted:

I feel like having a single tangible location to direct culpability towards would be a step down for some corporations.

Instead of California becoming the Bezosid Caliphate, it'll be like California Prime™ Sponsored By Amazon

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mr.Radar posted:

Rhode Island!?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Maduo posted:

I feel like having a single tangible location to direct culpability towards would be a step down for some corporations.

Instead of California becoming the Bezosid Caliphate, it'll be like California Prime™ Sponsored By Amazon

lol we'd finally become the full-on cyberpunk future

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
considering how awful things are, i am now convinced that we will have corporation nation-states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

How does anyone in Rhode Island identify as midwestern? You're right there on the coast.