Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Libluini posted:

A recent DWU-LP got stopped cold because of a bug making it impossible to found new colonies.
What kind of bug? Is it a game bug or a mod bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What kind of bug? Is it a game bug or a mod bug?

The LPer didn't say, but he played lame-rear end Vanilla Humans, so I'm willing to bet no mod

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh hi! I updated the goon species mod to compatibility with 2.6.*, and fixed the species that were broken by the introduction of Origins. The mod could probably use a thorough combing through to change civics/traits/origins but I'm not the person for that kind of job at the moment.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1314848686

Use it, or don't, or whatever. There's also a version linked on that page that will always spawn these custom empires in, instead of sometimes picking them. I'm still open to adding custom empires if you like; just PM me or post in here all the text from your user_empire_designs.txt for that species and I'll get them in at some point. PMing or the Discord is probably better, for when I inevitably fall behind on this thread again.

Hell yeah, thanks! I've been using the old version of this, which caused a bunch of empires to spawn with just 1 civic.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Demiurge4 posted:

So is tech federation considered just garbage? A lot of the bonuses don't seem very good. Martial alliance on the other hand guarantees a massive federation fleet and especially in MP this is king. Even trade fed gets a bigger fleet than science nerds.

Martial alliance is incredible and is worth the mini-game to wrangle control of the federation. It took a lot of favours and a mega-structure to do so, but hey you get a huge fleet out of it! I had the standard galactic alliance on my last game and it was "meh" but I was playing a humanoid race of egalitarian diplomats so I was kind of asking for it. I engaged with the martial alliance far more than I did with the regular galactic federation, that's for sure.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

Nothing will beat that 1.x bug where every galaxy was overtaken with an outbreak of pacifism and no wars ever happened.

Not technically a bug, but the 1.0 or 1.1-ish corvettes that had high enough evasion to basically be immune to all non-tracking Prethorian Swarm weapons was rather amusing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What're some cool new species builds for 2.6? I started a Hive Mind Lithoid Tree of Life but I'm not feeling it.

Hive Mind Lithoid Ring World is pretty crazy, imo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

:stare:

Mods, ban this sick filth.

Its ok, we're all actually inside a paradox game right now so everything counts!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Its ok, we're all actually inside a paradox game right now so everything counts!

Is this the plague DLC for CK2 if it was modded to play for far too long?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

Is this the plague DLC for CK2 if it was modded to play for far too long?

We are in this Paradox game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
stellaris's UI is Very Helpful

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Captain Invictus posted:

stellaris's UI is Very Helpful

:hmmno:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
what the heck

I've never had 1000 naval capacity, who is that even for? Are you taking on three Awakened Empires at the same time or have crisis strength set to like 500%?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what the heck

I've never had 1000 naval capacity, who is that even for? Are you taking on three Awakened Empires at the same time or have crisis strength set to like 500%?
Yes.

You know the War in Heaven where you're given the choice of siding with Awakened Empire A or Awakened Empire B, joining the Federation of Non-Aligned Chumps, or you can try to stay out of it and inevitably get dunked on by whoever wins? I took the unlisted fifth option: fight literally everyone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what the heck

Everything cranked to max, yes, plus early endgame crisis (iirc 2250 or 2300, whatever is basically the earliest)

Currently have almost the entire galaxy against me(because I'm trying to vassalize my neighbor and they're in a federation with most of the rest of the galaxy) and also I'm dealing with the scourge while that's going on

Scourge fleets are half a million for the standard fleets, with the occasional 1mil fleet. Most regular empire fleets at this point are 90k-180k.

Protip: terminal egress is the most vital chokepoint in the entire game, reinforce a Starbase there to the max and station multiple powerful fleets so that you can ambush everything that tries to fast travel through it since every L gate teleport has to pass through there

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 23, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

What exactly triggers the War in Heaven? I haven't seen one ever. Is it a mini-crisis like the marauder Khan?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If one of the xenophile/xenophobe or spiritualist/materialist empires awakens, there is a chance their opposite will awaken to spite them and reignite their ancient wars from god knows how long ago. That's basically it. I think the endgame crisis can also trigger it if there's one already awake and it forces their counterpart to awaken as guardian of the galaxy, too.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Everything cranked to max, yes

Currently have almost the entire galaxy against me(because I'm trying to vassalize my neighbor and they're in a federation with most of the rest of the galaxy) and also I'm dealing with the scourge while that's going on

Scourge fleets are half a million for the standard fleets, with the occasional 1mil fleet. Most regular empire fleets at this point are 90k-180k.

Protip: terminal egress is the most vital chokepoint in the entire game, reinforce a Starbase there to the max and station multiple powerful fleets so that you can ambush everything that tries to fast travel through it since every L gate teleport has to pass through there

Also you can build a standard gateway directly on top of the L-gate in Terminal Egress. Then make fleet bases / shipyards in all the other L-gate systems, so you can react quickly when poo poo does happen. Because that cuts the travel time from station to L-gate to gateway network down to like 2 days, vs more like 20 if they have to travel to the edge of the system in order to reach the gate.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what the heck

I have at least 1000 naval capacity in like every game ever. You kinda need it on grand admiral.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

And Tyler Too! posted:

What exactly triggers the War in Heaven? I haven't seen one ever. Is it a mini-crisis like the marauder Khan?

It's basically a dice roll. If you have more than one Fallen Empires in the game, and one of them Awakens, the game will make a roll after some number of years to see if there'll be a War in Heaven. There's a chance of it happening between any two fallen empires, and a greater chance of it happening between two fallen empires of opposite ethics, but even if you have all the fallen empires in the game and they're all eligible to Awaken, it tops out at like a 45% chance of happening.

E: It also requires the Leviathans DLC.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 23, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

silentsnack posted:

Also you can build a standard gateway directly on top of the L-gate in Terminal Egress. Then make fleet bases / shipyards in all the other L-gate systems, so you can react quickly when poo poo does happen. Because that cuts the travel time from station to L-gate to gateway network down to like 2 days, vs more like 20 if they have to travel to the edge of the system in order to reach the gate.

Right, yes, yes. I personally set a gateway a tiny bit away from the lgate so fleets have to spend some time in TE which gives my fleets time to latch onto them if they're hostile.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Right, yes, yes. I personally set a gateway a tiny bit away from the lgate so fleets have to spend some time in TE which gives my fleets time to latch onto them if they're hostile.

Which enemies are allowed to use your gateways? If you own TE and have the "FTL Inhibitors" tech (sometimes it's better not to research this, because it means enemies will try to path through your systems and brainlessly suicide into a big citadel) and they're hostile then their only options are to attack your starbase or to jump out using the same L-gate.

I get what you're saying but I've tried to ambush enemies by positioning multiple fleets directly on top of the L-gate, but if they're just pathing to another black hole they instantly jump out, before the game even registers that they should be in combat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

silentsnack posted:

Which enemies are allowed to use your gateways? If you own TE and have the "FTL Inhibitors" tech (sometimes it's better not to research this, because it means enemies will try to path through your systems and brainlessly suicide into a big citadel) and they're hostile then their only options are to attack your starbase or to jump out using the same L-gate.

I get what you're saying but I've tried to ambush enemies by positioning multiple fleets directly on top of the L-gate, but if they're just pathing to another black hole they instantly jump out, before the game even registers that they should be in combat.

I dunno, but I've got 2 corvette fleets and 2 battleship fleets sitting right outside the lgate and see fleets try to go to the regular gate before entering combat. Maybe it's a bug and they try to use the other gate before doubling back to the lgate if I don't attack them, I dunno. But I'm getting near-constant combat reports as enemy fleets constantly enter terminal egress.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

silentsnack posted:

Only people to whom you have your borders opened can use your Gateways, war enemies never can.

L-Gates are an exception however, and you can absolutely L-Gate into TE, and then use the L-Gate there to immediately travel to any other L-Gate in the galaxy, regardless of ownership or the presence of an FTL Inhibitor in TE.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
bugs, bugs, everywhere!

I cleared out a system of a now-dead empire the scourge gobbled up. in it is a science nexus and a gateway. I am currently at war with basically everyone for one reason or another.

I had multiple fleets positioned at the gateway ready to kill anything that came through, and a construction ship ready to build a starbase from the word go. starts building, is set to passive. enemy fleets are popping up every couple days in the gateway, instantly nullifying the starbase build, despite the passive stance, which is annoying enough. but not only does it do that, the "resources refunded" does not include influence, so every time it kills a starbase build attempt there, it's basically throwing 52 influence in the bin! brilliant

also the driven assimilators I declared war on a decade ago but haven't done anything to have been just mashing their fleets into my 200k 40 defense platform citadel in terminal egress over and over again. it's all they've been doing with their fleets. they're driven alright, but it seems more to throw themselves onto the pyre than assimilate anything, besides my lasers with their faces

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 23, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can't build a starbase in a system with hostile fleets present. I always thought that was a reasonable enough rule, but I can see how it totally dicks you over in that very specific scenario. Also not refunding influence is deff bullshit.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-177-edict-rework.1384129/

Dev diary on edicts. It looks good, and the references to pop growth are intriguing...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can't build a starbase in a system with hostile fleets present. I always thought that was a reasonable enough rule, but I can see how it totally dicks you over in that very specific scenario. Also not refunding influence is deff bullshit.

Yeah, that also happens if you try to build a starbase in a system and another empire (even a non-hostile one) beats you to it. Not only do you not get the system, it eats the influence you used as well.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Aethernet posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-177-edict-rework.1384129/

Dev diary on edicts. It looks good, and the references to pop growth are intriguing...

Very curious whether the other authorities have their own effects.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
I assume an implied lack of effect in regards to edict capacity. I guess it is a question of whether they plan on giving them something else instead, or feel that this was a needed buff for the authoritarian government forms specifically.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Aethernet posted:

very curious what new bugs this will introduce. probably just breaking some edicts entirely so they have no effect. or maybe the AI will not use them?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Dissapointed the rare resource edicts are still a thing but otherwise this looks good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

I dont like it because its only a partial change and it feels like a bandaid, it will likely introduce more bugs, and I would rather they spend dev time fixing broken things rather than adding new bandaids.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I really hate the rare resource edicts

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's a dumb rule. That should only be the behaviour if your construction ship is set to evasive. If it's set to passive, it should just try and finish it's task regardless of hostile fleets.

The current way makes advancing against a crisis annoying as gently caress, as it's nearly impossible to reclaim an unowned system with a gateway.

Hutter posted:

I assume an implied lack of effect in regards to edict capacity. I guess it is a question of whether they plan on giving them something else instead, or feel that this was a needed buff for the authoritarian government forms specifically.

I would hope that it's just a buff to dictatorial and imperial authority, there's literally no reason to use them now given that Meritocracy exists.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Splicer posted:

I really hate the rare resource edicts

What's so bad about them? I like that I can spend resources to (mainly) up the strength of my fleets in a pinch if a war goes badly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The speed one is amazing, I use it basically every war.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
This... seems pretty bad. The current sprawl/admin cap system is garbage, so tying edicts into it seems worrying. The food/energy/minerals edicts (or at least food, I'm assuming the others are similar) seem to be getting with a double nerf: the jobs get an energy upkeep, and being a bonus to job production, so stations/megastructures no longer get buffed. The numbers might change obviously, but if mining subsidies impose the same upkeep on miners as farming subsidies does on farmers you're paying 0.5 energy for 0.8 minerals. Which is probably nice most of the time I guess, but hardly exciting. Fleet supremacy seems really bad unless majorly buffed before release, that +10% ship upkeep kills it stone dead later on. Plus IIRC the next ship level after 100 exp (easily acquired from the starbase building) is 1000, so the +100 exp is really meh. In general it seems like edicts will become pretty low-impact, and I don't think I like that.

I'm also really worried about them decreasing pop growth unless they change the building slot system, early game is already slow enough. I'd say too slow, actually.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torrannor posted:

What's so bad about them? I like that I can spend resources to (mainly) up the strength of my fleets in a pinch if a war goes badly.
Especially with the changes to sprawl they're just a "spend some resources to win harder" button. They're not interesting, they're just something to forget to use sometimes. Which the AI does all the time so lol.

PittTheElder posted:

The speed one is amazing, I use it basically every war.
Exactly. The only real benefits to having them be a thing you turn on instead of your ships just always being that fast is a soak for excess "rare" resources and a way to trick the AI into underestimating your fleets. Before the new sprawl mechanics they were arguably a way to make smaller empires competitive, but now it's basically the opposite, and leaving them unchanged means they're another part of the game with no real purpose that's going to hang around doing nothing but cause more bugs and weird AI behaviour.

Also seeing them stay means I know there's no near future plan to make rare resources rare enough to be useful for actually interesting mechanics.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Especially with the changes to sprawl they're just a "spend some resources to win harder" button. They're not interesting, they're just something to forget to use sometimes. Which the AI does all the time so lol.

Exactly. The only real benefits to having them be a thing you turn on instead of your ships just always being that fast is a soak for excess "rare" resources and a way to trick the AI into underestimating your fleets. Before the new sprawl mechanics they were arguably a way to make smaller empires competitive, but now it's basically the opposite, and leaving them unchanged means they're another part of the game with no real purpose that's going to hang around doing nothing but cause more bugs and weird AI behaviour.

Also seeing them stay means I know there's no near future plan to make rare resources rare enough to be useful for actually interesting mechanics.
One thing I noticed when playing around in game files to make my personal mods is that they are now labelled "Strategic Resources" rather than "Rare Resources" now. Theres a difference! :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Before the new sprawl mechanics they were arguably a way to make smaller empires competitive, but now it's basically the opposite, and leaving them unchanged means they're another part of the game with no real purpose that's going to hang around doing nothing but cause more bugs and weird AI behaviour.

Doesn't the SR edict cost scaling ignore admin cap?