Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
What does it mean to beat the meta? Top the leaderboards with a build no one else is playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I basically had god-rolled items and a crusader that could melt absolutely anything with an infinite stampede of horses. Poor choice of words on my part I suppose, but yeah, it felt like I had basically "beat the game" for all intents and purposes

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
When am I supposed to start feeling impressed?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Star Man posted:

What a weird loving response. Dude comes in saying he hasn't played in a while, gives some context for what he did last time, and that's what you say?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Star Man is very depressed and doesn't cope well with it

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Star Man posted:

Do you need a hug, dude?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't play D3 much but this season was the first one I had ever finished all of the journey steps and the ones after that too, got the pet and the cosmetic stuff. I think the game is pretty good. Very grindy, but some people like that. Once you get to like 80+ GR it's like you just run grifts over and over and over, getting tiny little upgrades every once in a while. I assume that's how the game played just before they added the necromancer.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't play D3 much but this season was the first one I had ever finished all of the journey steps and the ones after that too, got the pet and the cosmetic stuff. I think the game is pretty good. Very grindy, but some people like that. Once you get to like 80+ GR it's like you just run grifts over and over and over, getting tiny little upgrades every once in a while. I assume that's how the game played just before they added the necromancer.

That is how the series has played since the beginning. It's only just been the set dressing of how you kick off the grind that changes between iterations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dameius posted:

That is how the series has played since the beginning. It's only just been the set dressing of how you kick off the grind that changes between iterations.

Sure, I just didn't really understand that until I played it recently, and maybe other people don't as well.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Here's another question since I haven't played in ages: if my brother has to make a new character, will I be able to play with him with lvl 70 crusader? How does scaling and all of that work nowadays? Thanks in advance

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sure, I just didn't really understand that until I played it recently, and maybe other people don't as well.

Number go up.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

AwkwardKnob posted:

Here's another question since I haven't played in ages: if my brother has to make a new character, will I be able to play with him with lvl 70 crusader? How does scaling and all of that work nowadays? Thanks in advance

You can make him 70 in minutes by running him through a few rifts, but if you want to level organically, you'll need to make another character. Good news is, most people like multiple classes.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

AwkwardKnob posted:

Yes you can play together at any level so long as the characters are of the same type, eg season/non and hardcore or not. The game you are in is scaled to the level of the game creator. So if you wanted to quickly level him then you'd make the game. If you wanted to quickly level him, but relatively slower, he'd make the game.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Having played ARPGs since the invention of the genre it is sometimes hard to remember that the genre as a loot treadmill isn't a given to everyone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Number go up.

More specifically, number go up in decreasing increments just sufficient to trigger your hindbrain to release chemicals that make you keep playing.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Great, thanks guys! Appreciate the insight

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is the switch version up to date with PC?

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Yeah and it runs the same seasonal buffs, sets, & challenge rifts. Double gobs are live on Switch.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I tried to play this season and discovered that I am hopeless without someone taking me on a series of loot runs to start a character :sigh: That was a sobering discovery.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I tried to play this season and discovered that I am hopeless without someone taking me on a series of loot runs to start a character :sigh: That was a sobering discovery.

go through a couple grifts until you get the legacy of dreams legendary gem then go to town in your clownsuit of choice until you amass a proper set of gear

or never take the clownsuit off because it's fun and game is good, your call really

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I haven't played since 2018 so I forgot how all this poo poo works and I thought I had to finish the Main Quest with a new character before I could do Adventure Mode/Seasonal stuff. I figured it out a few minutes ago but I might as well finish the main campaign, like, while I'm done there.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

AwkwardKnob posted:

I basically had god-rolled items and a crusader that could melt absolutely anything with an infinite stampede of horses. Poor choice of words on my part I suppose, but yeah, it felt like I had basically "beat the game" for all intents and purposes

Ah ok makes sense. In that case I’d go with a barb or monk for that gameplay. Also you’re gonna want to play seasons so all the stuff you had and a 70 crusader won’t matter in terms of leveling with your brother. It’s not a big loss tho cause so much has changed that gear would not be good anymore compared to the difficulties available / played.

And to be honest not much has changed since then except numbers go up. Some new legendaries and whatnot but you could pick that up just while playing. Don’t play necromancer it’s a horribly boring class.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Necro is cool, they just require some very specific builds that a super casual player probably would not want to spent the time farming. LoD Mages, Nova, and Corpse Explosion are all fun. And if you ever want to get in on the 4-player GR scene Rathma will never not be part of the meta.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I enjoy my Skelly & Corpse Lance necromancer, though it's getting a bit too slow for anything beyond t7.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Necro is cool, they just require some very specific builds that a super casual player probably would not want to spent the time farming. LoD Mages, Nova, and Corpse Explosion are all fun. And if you ever want to get in on the 4-player GR scene Rathma will never not be part of the meta.

It’s very strong but it’s a play style that I don’t think appeals to a lot of people especially if you like that raw massacre feeling you get from something like bells or whirlwind.

But yeah, I haven’t played necro in the newest season so I don’t know how fun something like explosion is.

Also the reason I was asking about beating the meta comment was (at least it used to be) playing znec and rathma as a 2player team is an easy way to push the leaderboards but, again, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you really get into that play style

anatomi posted:

I enjoy my Skelly & Corpse Lance necromancer, though it's getting a bit too slow for anything beyond t7.

Corpse lance should be easy to push to near the top of leaderboards and probably rathma so it might just be the amount of cdr and whatnot you have available right now

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I'm really looking forward to play Necro for the first time next season and getting all those PS4 achievements, but I'm definitely waiting for that new set first.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Agreed. I'm looking at Necro next season too. The new sets I've played with gave all been really good (haven't tried the Barb set), and I'm cautiously optimistic for the Necro set.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Before i start grinding is Helltooth Chicken still the best WD Speedfarm?

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Before i start grinding is Helltooth Chicken still the best WD Speedfarm?

I go mundungus and chicken for bounties since I already have the gear. Can't see helltoooth being faster since you'd have to cast WoD and either channel bears or wait for Garg AI.

Wear ingeom, cube wormwood, gazing demise and mask of jeram and zoom around. It is quite squishy, but that's a witch doctor baseline.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Mundunugu is the best WD speed build right now by a mile. For speed stuff you can drop most of the non-set-related, non-Barber/Gazing Demise damage buffs and add In-Geom and various movespeed-related stuff like Rechel's and Echoing Fury.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MunChicken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwBJ8Gk14XU

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Hey GTJustin, I guess I get to try Lexyu's Sacrifice group build sooner than I expected.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve been farming TX rifts for these Mundu boots for like 2 days. I don’t think I’ve ever gonna this long without getting the item i need to blast off. This hellchicken farming build sucks rear end compared to Spider chicken.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
You haven't gotten a redundant 6th piece somewhere that you can transmute to boots in the cube either?

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Hey GTJustin, I guess I get to try Lexyu's Sacrifice group build sooner than I expected.

Oh ok.

Crafting captain crimson belt+boots is also an option to get your mundungus set going.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

You haven't gotten a redundant 6th piece somewhere that you can transmute to boots in the cube either?

Nope, dropped like like 5K blood shards and got frustrated, upgraded a single pair of rare boots out of desperation and got an ancient pair and now I’m just freefarming. This build is the laziest build ever.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

What’s the best WD AoE build that might give me better results with the Curses conquest? My SB build does fine with GRs around the low 90 level, but it seems to cap out around 330 kills in the Peat event. If I should be able to do it with this build I’d welcome any advice. It’s the last thing on my checklist and I’d love to check it off the list before the tendinitis in my wrist crippled me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ellaybee posted:

What’s the best WD AoE build that might give me better results with the Curses conquest? My SB build does fine with GRs around the low 90 level, but it seems to cap out around 330 kills in the Peat event. If I should be able to do it with this build I’d welcome any advice. It’s the last thing on my checklist and I’d love to check it off the list before the tendinitis in my wrist crippled me.

Find a WhirlRend Barb or 2 and team up with them. They'll totally be able to get the required kills (and then some), and you'll get credit for it, too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kheldarn posted:

Find a WhirlRend Barb or 2 and team up with them. They'll totally be able to get the required kills (and then some), and you'll get credit for it, too.

Or multishot dh, bell monk, and probably more.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I did it as a Hydra Wizard but just barely, had 353.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Ellaybee posted:

I did it in a group with my SB build but I'd cleared into the 110s by then anyway.