Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Admiral Ray posted:

this would put the CFR at ~0.5%, which isn't out of range of the estimates accounting for possible missed cases.

neat!

are you counting all the people that died undiagnosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

seattle plague rat posted:

those ffools the discarded pile ofpotatoes will only grow more and more potates

well be overrun in 5 or 6 seasons

u gotta bake or fry them to deactivate

gravy worx too

bake them twice :devil:

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

I leave all non-perishables in my detached garage for 3 days. I have a thing of resturaunt day stickers and tag thing with the day I bought it so things don't get all mixed up.

I put mine in big plastic tubs for three or four days depending on how lazy I am but I don't buy things more than every few weeks so I don't need the labeling but that's a nifty idea

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

So a 0.8% CFR. Plausible IMO

https://twitter.com/KorashCOO/status/1232703850538094593/photo/1

but with the death estimates divided by three, if this is accurate

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Polo-Rican posted:

I wish the internet was around during the OG Great Depression so I could read their archived posts

Curious if the tone of everyday conversation would be basically identical to the tone today

whoooole lot more racist back then, casual slurs would abound, fewer tokers, and in general more stuffy social mores whatever the equivalent of wearing a hat on the internet is

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Too many people don't understand that shadowy universal forces are always waiting for you to slip up and hubris yourself into an early grave.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Norton the First posted:

What the gently caress? I know everyone here is about beanposting, but again, what the gently caress?

more for the sane people

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

WarEternal posted:

someone explain to me how this doesn't end in starvation, I'm still wondering.

hopefully it results in more dieting/less wasted food before we get to starvation levels, but the way things generally work? starvation for some, two scoops for others

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

NofrikinfuN posted:

bake them twice :devil:

heck yah take no chances

tbh i woould cultivate &water the pile in the hopes that a benevolent potato golem wld rise

jolly green giant came from unsafe disposal of surplus asparagus

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

what other piles of food or beer are there around the country? I want something

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1253347107353886723

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/westport-police-to-test-pandemic-drone-that-can-sense-fevers-coughing/2258746/

quote:

Westport police are going to be testing a “pandemic drone” that can monitor people’s temperatures from 190 feet away and detect sneezing, coughing and heart and breathing rates amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Westport police said they are working with Draganfly, a drone company, to test technology in an effort to help combat the spread of the coronavirus.

A news release from Draganfly said the pandemic drone will be equipped with a specialized sensor and computer vision systems that can display fever/temperature, heart and respiratory rates, as well as detect people sneezing and coughing in crowds, and wherever groups of people may work or congregate.

-words-

Police said the goal is to provide better health monitoring support for potential at-risk groups, including seniors, as well as for gathering crowds at beaches, train stations, parks and recreation areas, and shopping centers.

Police said the drone software uses biometric readings to understand population patterns and allows quicker reaction time to ongoing events or potential health threats.

The program is called the “Flatten the Curve Pilot Program.”

Police said it will not be used in individual private yards and it does not use facial recognition technology.

It's by Draganfly and the UniSA team led by Defence Chair of Sensor Systems Professor Javaan Chahl

pandemic drone goes brrrrr... YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

galenanorth posted:

https://twitter.com/KorashCOO/status/1232703850538094593/photo/1

but with the death estimates divided by three, if this is accurate

What are these figures for with such low infection rates, annual cases/deaths from endemic covid?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

I thought this was an onion article but it is even funnier that it isn't

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

e: read it wrong. I'm high and maybe having a breakdown

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

twoday posted:

Two COVID-related diagrams I came across today. I have no idea what either one means but I find them both visually appealing in their own way

99% sure this means cobras cure COVID.

BRB - going on the internet to buy a bunch of cobras

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

facetoucher cat posted:

oh, so he was a liar

don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
bungarotoxiholio

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

facetoucher cat posted:

hang in there buddy

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1253384997307899904
the best people

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

WarEternal posted:

are you counting all the people that died undiagnosed?

yep. if 21% of NYC is infected, and between 0.13% to 0.16% (1/800 to 1/600) of NYC has probably died of it (including undiagnosed deaths), then the true CFR is between 0.6% to 0.8%.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

the potatoes are returning to the wild. nature is healing. we are the virus

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
An IFR between 0.5-1% was what I was speculating, and these NYC serology results seem more in line with that. The other big question is what sort of chronic problems this causes in those that live and what sort of frequency those occur at.

gregday
May 23, 2003

*nYc Irish voice, wheezing*:
fuckin’…

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Weren't these the antibody tests that would throw false positives if the person had contracted any type of corona virus recently?

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

An IFR between 0.5-1% was what I was speculating, and these NYC serology results seem more in line with that. The other big question is what sort of chronic problems this causes in those that live and what sort of frequency those occur at.

its def ruined my posting

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i wonder what my uncle's grain truck's mpg is because hell, a quick trip out to idaho and back would get a whole hell of a lot of taters

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Lol the county my office is in is now the highest percentage of confirmed cases of covid in TN. Chuds gonna chud.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Potatoes own! You can get a lot of your nutritional needs from just potatoes and milk, the two things we're notably just throwing away and letting rot right now. Bringing the potato (and the sweet potato) to Europe and China helped to massively boost agricultural output.

e: if you want a very in-depth examination of potatoes and their role in history, check out Charles Mann's 1493! 1491 is a better book though.

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Apr 23, 2020

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

another miracle cure down the drain

https://twitter.com/caetuscap/status/1253365198796267520?s=20

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Weren't these the antibody tests that would throw false positives if the person had contracted any type of corona virus recently?

It's not clear whether these are the same tests. Also, the problems with a 97% specificity are diminished when 20% of the population has been infected rather than 1%. Heavily hit places like NYC are the best place to do these studies because the signal is less likely to get drowned out by noise.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

i'm not sure which antibody tests New York is using, tbh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gregday posted:

*nYc Irish voice, wheezing*:
fuckin’…

That pic needs a trigger warning for irish people!

Also polish people, imagine how much potatoes vodka you could make with that!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lmao Trump purge the entire federal government and replacing with white racist boomer Chuds / alt right Steve Miller creeps.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

shovelbum posted:

man i still cant believe that ppe is the testing bottleneck for the nose stick thing, there has to be some kind of protocol based solution to this but i have no fuckin clue

make swabs that are six feet long!!!

hello? mr president??? ring me up

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

facetoucher cat posted:

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/westport-police-to-test-pandemic-drone-that-can-sense-fevers-coughing/2258746/

It's by Draganfly and the UniSA team led by Defence Chair of Sensor Systems Professor Javaan Chahl

pandemic drone goes brrrrr... YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY

lmao great now i have to be afraid of sneezing in public

rip all allergy havers

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

nicotine patch dreams are not solely nightmares, they are just intensely vivid dreams. it’s a real good time, and it’s probably 100% more intense for someone who hasn’t had their brain fried by nicotine for a decade.

let’s talk about melatonin dreams

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

always eat the skin of a potato or u r a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

facetoucher cat posted: