Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

Politico has accepted :corona:

:yooge::theroni:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Rauros posted:

some covid toes hypothesizing:

"Ted Lain, MD, board-certified dermatologist and chief medical officer at Sanova Dermatology agrees, adding that it may also be related to an immune-system reaction to the COVID-19 infection. “A particular immune system reaction...[that] may develop quickly in response to COVID-19 and cause these strange findings,” he explains.

Dr. Lain and Dr. Saedi add that the appearance of "COVID toes" mainly in children and young adults may signal that it's an immune response, too. "Children and young adults have stronger immune systems and they have a strong local response," says Dr. Saedi. Dr. Lain adds that "the scientific community hypothesizes that 'COVID toes' are possibly a sign of a robust immune response, and also could be why younger people tend to have a more mild course of infection than adults."

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/covid-toes

Dan Schneider is furiously working on a screenplay about Covid right now

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fosborb posted:

after VC sucks up the remaining retail and smothers it within 2 years, just what the hell are we going to do with malls?

malls are hilariously ill-equipped to do anything but mass, national retail (with a smattering of local shops for ever revolving flair)

I guess just bulldoze and make way for more mid-rise stick apartments

I've been in investment briefings about this. A good mall can be repurposed (with renovation) to basically apartments plus shops and amenities. Lower grade malls will be absolutely dead after this, though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I bet Biden can out-racist this guy if we let him loose!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

shovelbum posted:

yeah but its like 8% with the hospitals semi swamped
Yeah, the IFR people are quoting is under the assumption of being within the capacity for the healthcare system to deal with, as far as I can tell? With the assumption of 2 million dead based on around 80% infected implying a lockdown lasting into next year. It basically sounds like the least likely option, out of a hard lockdown that actually stops the infection from getting to anywhere near 80%, and the (far more likely) complete explosion in cases that has the virus exhaust its supply of new hosts by burning through American in a few months.

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Apr 23, 2020

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

:smugdog:

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

:same:

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Rauros posted:

some covid toes hypothesizing:

"Ted Lain, MD, board-certified dermatologist and chief medical officer at Sanova Dermatology agrees, adding that it may also be related to an immune-system reaction to the COVID-19 infection. “A particular immune system reaction...[that] may develop quickly in response to COVID-19 and cause these strange findings,” he explains.

Dr. Lain and Dr. Saedi add that the appearance of "COVID toes" mainly in children and young adults may signal that it's an immune response, too. "Children and young adults have stronger immune systems and they have a strong local response," says Dr. Saedi. Dr. Lain adds that "the scientific community hypothesizes that 'COVID toes' are possibly a sign of a robust immune response, and also could be why younger people tend to have a more mild course of infection than adults."

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/covid-toes

yah

looks like an old w/rheumatoid arthritis

the accompanying lesions and redness i mean

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/msainat1/status/1253350460683169794

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

And? They still need 67% more of the population to be infected for herd immunity to start having an effect

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The pandemic should be exploited to hell and back by everyone considered 'essential' for class gains, because most of the built-in systems to remove power from workers have been removed thanks to corona-chan

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

please leave the racist artifacts at home. and before you complain, keep in mind i'm also a racist like you

They’re going to bring even more flags and more AR15s!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

PostNouveau posted:

How are The Villages doing?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

377 cases and 17 deaths (sumter + lake counties) - these haven't moved much at all for the past week or so :shrug:
personally I think they are cooking their books but who knows

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Grapplejack posted:

The pandemic should be exploited to hell and back by everyone considered 'essential' for class gains, because most of the built-in systems to remove power from workers have been removed thanks to corona-chan

u gotta be bloodthirsty to thrive in chaos tho

its been beaten out of most of us

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Ebola Roulette posted:

And? They still need 67% more of the population to be infected for herd immunity to start having an effect

Ok, so another 45k New Yorkers on the fire and we're good. bing bong so simple.

Think of the cheap rents!!!!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the covid toes are almost certainly immune body complexes just getting stuck at the bottom of the circulation

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
We're next in MA
https://twitter.com/WBUR/status/1253417902557941761?s=20

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

FizFashizzle posted:

the covid toes are almost certainly immune body complexes just getting stuck at the bottom of the circulation

yeah, type III hypersensitivity was pinging for me. probably what the doctors are trying to say in plain speak.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

COVID-420 posted:

Systemic collapse seems like a grey area, no?

26 million officially out of work and climbing. The EPA isn't enforcing pollution standards. The FDA isn't testing our food. OSHA isn't enforcing workplace safety. The Supreme Court's Wisconsin election decision has ominous implications for the 2020 election. Kushner's FEMA has normalized corruption and disaster profiteering (yes I know these were already happening, but its at another level now). Abortion is banned across red states. Sheriffs in Texas, Washington, and Michigan are refusing to enforce the decisions of judges and governors alike.

How much of this will we ever get back? I don't mean to be doomy but it seems like "America" as a system IS actively collapsing.

lol during his press conference yesterday jay inslee basically said "I think those sheriffs will see reason" and threatened to prosecute them if they continue on their current path

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Flesh Forge posted:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

377 cases and 17 deaths (sumter + lake counties) - these haven't moved much at all for the past week or so :shrug:
personally I think they are cooking their books but who knows

yah I have zero belief in that being accurate

if anything they’d be counted dead maybe after getting trucked over to another county or something maybe because the villages seems like a weird semi isolated enclave in a podunk county

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Lote posted:

Nicotine patches aren’t gonna be tolerated by almost 100% of people for Covid treatment. You have to wear the nicotine patch at night and 99% of people that do that have nightmares.

There are 16 hour patches which aren't worn at night, but pharmaceutical companies will be looking to dev a new patch for covid-19 so they can take advantage of the exclusive patent period.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Norton the First posted:

I've been in investment briefings about this. A good mall can be repurposed (with renovation) to basically apartments plus shops and amenities. Lower grade malls will be absolutely dead after this, though.

That's not exactly true, though depends on how you define good. Absolute overwhelming majority of malls are complete useless trash not even fit for habitation. many have tried to convert malls into apartments/shops and it's been a huge money sink and a disaster. they basically just have to be torn the gently caress down entirely. there are some "outdoor malls" or some older pre-car-culture euro/american mall-esque places which can be good for mixed units, but such a minute amount compared to the all encompassing garbage that is america

to quote my bud jonny:

Jonny 290 posted:

malls are uniquely lovely for any purpose other than being a mall. people have investigated turning deadmalls into housing etc. turns out two bathrooms for every 20 units and no cooking facilities means theyre uninhabitable. they are worthless un-repurposeable properties, the perfect monument to capitalism

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ok the giant baby videos are really starting to creep me out

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

a count of homes/condos/apartments/whatever being put up for sale, or the number of rent vacancies, might be more telling or something

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

twoday posted:

That was from the French nicotine study. One of the authors is a renowned neuroscientist who became famous by mapping out various chemical pathways in the nervous system and how chemicals related to nicotine affect them. In the argument where they explain how nicotine is potentially affecting the body in COVID-19 they cited a bunch of previous research that he and his team had worked on in the past mapping out these pathways. For some reason a lot of the research was done on cells from animals which had unique properties, such as deadly snakes and electric eels, so that article contains sentences like: “Structural studies further revealed that a short region in the ectodomain of the rabies virus glycoprotein shows sequence similarity to some snake toxins [20, 22] that were initially used to isolate the nAChR from fish electric organs [23])”

Gonna need a bunch of electric eels too. Got it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bulgakov posted:

a count of homes/condos/apartments/whatever being put up for sale, or the number of rent vacancies, might be more telling or something

abandoned golf carts

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I'm Joe and I spoon eat out...the ice cream...cone im holding a spoon too...Biden thank you!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fosborb posted:

after VC sucks up the remaining retail and smothers it within 2 years, just what the hell are we going to do with malls?

malls are hilariously ill-equipped to do anything but mass, national retail (with a smattering of local shops for ever revolving flair)

I guess just bulldoze and make way for more mid-rise stick apartments

in AZ they're converting old malls to health and education campuses

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Lol the Trulo! admin looooves Florida

Except for the non white part
https://twitter.com/stevesilberman/status/1253397073874976769?s=20

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

jesus

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Xaris posted:

That's not exactly true, though depends on how you define good. Absolute overwhelming majority of malls are complete useless trash not even fit for habitation. many have tried to convert malls into apartments/shops and it's been a huge money sink and a disaster. they basically just have to be torn the gently caress down entirely. there are some "outdoor malls" or some older pre-car-culture euro/american mall-esque places which can be good for mixed units, but such a minute amount compared to the all encompassing garbage that is america

to quote my bud jonny:

yah. one of the malls near us growing up was a triple floor much more like indoor compact old street market feeling walkable space that I think is like what you’re referring to as the latter. it went bust as a mall and got taken over partly by the community college and then there were other generic but filled office spaces and overall lived on

until the developer forced everyone out eventually so they could demolish it and had it sit as unused land for like a decade before they built a high end city center destination type place

i miss that mall even as a dumb child I appreciated it’s bones. the other mall was a one story huge massive sprawling complex type mess. garbo.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

i am harry posted:

I'm Joe and I spoon eat out...the ice cream...cone im holding a spoon too...Biden thank you!

I never noticed that he was eating it with a spoon

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

you guys have been on a solid lock down since early March, right?

and also EEE from last year...

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

If it makes you feel better, this was also the result of doubled daily test returns today. MA has been averaging 6-7k tests reported daily; today's numbers are the result of 14.6k tests.

We're still at like 23% positive test rates though, it's still not nearly enough

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

In a sense I'd like to compare notes, but in another sense, it's not my department anymore so whatever, gently caress'em.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

fosborb posted:

abandoned golf carts

:hmmyes:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Danger posted:

A few days ago there was a link or post about Sweden's response. Does anyone have it handy or link to it? Sorry, this is a massive thread.

they’ve killed 2.5times as many people as Georgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

fosborb posted:

you guys have been on a solid lock down since early March, right?

and also EEE from last year...

Yeah the schools closed first, then all non-essential businesses like a week later.

Total case growth looks mostly linear over the past two weeks (likely due to stagnating testing numbers), but deaths are still exponentially increasing.