Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/1253089295151366149

abbott is doing that face you do when your boss publicly throws someone on the team under the bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Starting Monday everyone older than 10 must wear facial coverings when going outside in Harris County, subject to a $1k fine. The order is in effect for the next 30 days and garments include a homemade mask, scarf, bandana or handkerchief. Medical masks or N-95 respirators are not recommended as they are most needed by first responders and health workers. Businesses must provide them to employees while on the job.

Houston Chronicle posted:

Republican Lieutenant Gov. Dan Patrick accused Hidalgo of abusing her authority, and said residents would be justified to react with anger. U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw said mask guidelines made sense, but punishments would “lead us to government tyranny.”

Harris County Republican Party Chairman Paul Simpson blasted the rules as an “unenforceable power grab.”

Harris County law enforcement officers, including the fire marshal and constables, will be responsible for ensuring residents and businesses comply. The unions representing officers from the Houston Police Department and Harris County deputies, however, said their members are disinclined to do so.

“The citizens of Harris County are working hard together through this pandemic and do not need the added stress and fear of being fined or arrested for failing to wear a mask/face covering they may not have,” Harris County Deputies Organization President David Cuevas said in a statement.

Houston Police Officers Union President Joe Gamaldi, a frequent critic of Hidalgo’s approach to criminal justice, called the order idiotic and said the “draconian” measure would erode bonds between officers and the community.

In a statement, Gamaldi said the union had reached out to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s office seeking an opinion on the legality of imposing a criminal penalty or fine on someone for not wearing a face mask. The attorney general said Wednesday afternoon that police should use their discretion on duty and focus on dangerous criminals, but did not limit Hidalgo’s authority.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1253102448652288000
Uh go big business I guess

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Dameius posted:

Starting Monday everyone older than 10 must wear facial coverings when going outside in Harris County, subject to a $1k fine. The order is in effect for the next 30 days and garments include a homemade mask, scarf, bandana or handkerchief. Medical masks or N-95 respirators are not recommended as they are most needed by first responders and health workers. Businesses must provide them to employees while on the job.

Gonna get one of those hammer and sickle bandanas and an AK so I can legally do my best Austin PD Red Guards impression while picking up tortillas and chicken at HEB

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

let them fight

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Small business interests are usually a sock puppet for big business interests, so who knows what any of that means.

poemdexter posted:

The entire government is sold off to a private company much like the tollways. Enjoy paying 25 cents to vote (1.50 if you want express skip the line).

$25 to have your vote actually counted, but with a $3,000 rebate for each vote you make.

Offer only available if you're the type of person they want to vote.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Business is coming back to Loving County folks
This is probably the one time I'll ever see a Loving County reference in the wild. Can't pass it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uewrSagO-r4

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Michael McCaul is running youtube ads about working with Democrats to fund hospitals lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/quorumreport/status/1253342259099004928

lmao there's no way

Maybe not:

https://twitter.com/leachfortexas/status/1253356465395511296
https://twitter.com/leachfortexas/status/1253357590840565762

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 23, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's actually 30% guys. Goodness, your sources are always so wrong!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1253453081582489602

Thank loving God

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

He's gonna override municipalities, isn't he?

i really dont see the counties and mayors doing anything abbott says in this situation.

my job recently said that they were going to listen to the county/city, so that's nice

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

trial balloons going well!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Then again, I'm almost inclined to trust anything that says the opposite of what the GOP says no matter who. Especially when they double down and insist that something isn't true.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Abbott walked so Kemp could run

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

D-Pad posted:

Abbott rolled so Kemp could run

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Greg's bad ideas would be more dangerous if he wasn't too cowardly to act on them. His wait-and-see approach may have killed people during lockdown phase, but during the Great Reopening that same noncommittal approach to governance Abbott is known for will save thousands of lives.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
I work at UT, and we had massive waves of layoffs following legislative sessions from 2008 up through 2012. My department is staffed at 40% the level it was 12 years ago, and there’s no way we can lay-off someone without severely disrupting operations. State agencies are understaffed across the board, and I just can’t fathom how even small reductions wouldn’t entirely break the state. Even if 20% isn’t the real number, they’re going to go back to the salary trimming well to try to balance the budget, and it’s going to be a disaster. It’s not going to be trimming fat this time, it will be amputating limbs.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

I work at UT, and we had massive waves of layoffs following legislative sessions from 2008 up through 2012. My department is staffed at 40% the level it was 12 years ago, and there’s no way we can lay-off someone without severely disrupting operations. State agencies are understaffed across the board, and I just can’t fathom how even small reductions wouldn’t entirely break the state. Even if 20% isn’t the real number, they’re going to go back to the salary trimming well to try to balance the budget, and it’s going to be a disaster. It’s not going to be trimming fat this time, it will be amputating limbs.

I mean at what point do state agencies push back and say there's nothing left to cut?

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

I mean at what point do state agencies push back and say there's nothing left to cut?

They will, but they have no real leverage. Slashing salaries is the easiest way for them to balance the budget, and most ideologically compatible for the republicans. I have no faith that the legislature won’t just head home to their car dealerships and pat themselves on the back for balancing the budget. Consequences don’t become apparent until long after they’ve headed home.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zil posted:

colorado springs traffic light dot gif

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zil posted:

Basically they're going to have to demonstrate it for two years before they get half of what was cut back

fun thought experiment:

Congress approves a multibillion state and municipal aid package with minimal strings. Does Texas take the money, or refuse it?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't think this is a similar situation to the medicaid expansion. the tea party anti-spending wing of the party is not ascendant like in 2010

edit especially so if it's trumpbuxx, thank u daddy trump

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 24, 2020

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Badger of Basra posted:

Basically they're going to have to demonstrate it for two years before they get half of what was cut back

fun thought experiment:

Congress approves a multibillion state and municipal aid package with minimal strings. Does Texas take the money, or refuse it?

is a republican's name on the legislation?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

They will, but they have no real leverage. Slashing salaries is the easiest way for them to balance the budget, and most ideologically compatible for the republicans. I have no faith that the legislature won’t just head home to their car dealerships and pat themselves on the back for balancing the budget. Consequences don’t become apparent until long after they’ve headed home.

Most Texas state agencies already pay well below market wages, at least for professional, technical, scientific, and legal positions. And when you look at the salary history for state employees by legislative session, it's been a disaster since 1994--most sessions did not provide a cost of living increase, and on the rare occasions when they did, it was usually 1-3% spread over two years. Employee turnover is already high at current salaries; if there are cuts, employees will leave in droves. At least the ones with other options, or close to retirement. (Now, watch them cut funding for the ERS pension system...)

Which makes me wonder, for employees close to or eligible for retirement, it might be a good idea to put in your papers before the next Session is over and they do something like add ten years to retirement eligibility...

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 24, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Small government means bad government.

A clock lurching wildly in every direction at once will probably be right at some point out of sheer chance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

fun thought experiment:

Why wouldn’t we, we take FEMA disaster money

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Well you see that money may go away at some indeterminate point in the future and we don’t want to become dependent on it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my life would have been pretty remarkably different had we gone through with the medicaid expansion lol

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Number_6 posted:

Most Texas state agencies already pay well below market wages, at least for professional, technical, scientific, and legal positions. And when you look at the salary history for state employees by legislative session, it's been a disaster since 1994--most sessions did not provide a cost of living increase, and on the rare occasions when they did, it was usually 1-3% spread over two years. Employee turnover is already high at current salaries; if there are cuts, employees will leave in droves. At least the ones with other options, or close to retirement. (Now, watch them cut funding for the ERS pension system...)

Which makes me wonder, for employees close to or eligible for retirement, it might be a good idea to put in your papers before the next Session is over and they do something like add ten years to retirement eligibility...

Yeah, I think ERS and TRS are going to be two major targets for the Leg. The retirement age for TRS has already been raised so high, any further additions to eligibility age will push it into the 70s. They'll probably target employee health benefits, too - I don't know what other state employees have, but UT System has premiums paid 100% by the system.

The way the last major round of cuts played out at UT involved some layoffs, but I'm guessing it was similar at other state agencies - a lot of cuts came in the form of not rehiring for a lot of vacancies and combining positions. The university is already so dysfunctional because of employee turnover (largely due to low pay), so I can only imagine how bad it must be at other agencies. UT at least has other revenue streams in its budget beyond state funding (that's ~12% of the budget). Trying to repeat the 2008-2012 playbook is going to be a disaster when we end up with one guy in the state certifying plumbers and structural engineers. On the other hand, maybe they'll finally abolish TABC.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Badger of Basra posted:

Well you see that money may go away at some indeterminate point in the future when we finally force it to and we don’t want to become dependent on it

Fixed your post OP

The way the last major round of cuts played out at UT involved some layoffs, but I'm guessing it was similar at other state agencies - a lot of cuts came in the form of not rehiring for a lot of vacancies and combining positions. The university is already so dysfunctional because of employee turnover (largely due to low pay), so I can only imagine how bad it must be at other agencies. UT at least has other revenue streams in its budget beyond state funding (that's ~12% of the budget). Trying to repeat the 2008-2012 playbook is going to be a disaster when we end up with one guy in the state certifying plumbers and structural engineers. On the other hand, maybe they'll finally abolish TABC.

They charge more money than god and have an endowment rivaled only by like, loving Harvard. How the hell are they strapped for cash jesus christ universities are a scam

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
The health benefits for Texas state employees is one of the few upsides to working in one of their agencies (100% of premiums paid): https://ers.texas.gov/Active-Employees/Health-Benefits

So I absolutely expect them to gut it.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

They charge more money than god and have an endowment rivaled only by like, loving Harvard. How the hell are they strapped for cash jesus christ universities are a scam

Universities can generally only access the investment incomes from the endowment by law. Most of the endowment is tied up in stuff like endowed chairs, professorships, and fellowships. I think that's a lame excuse though, the law absolutely should be changed to allow universities to access the principle in times of crisis.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Yeah, I don't know anything about the investment value of giving professors important titles but I can't imagine the little plaques they hang in their office can even touch the ~31b that the UT system is worth. Like you said it all sounds like a poor excuse for not wanting number to do anything but go up forever. Gotta rack up the high score!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They charge that much because state aid went down, they don't just do it for fun

Also I think UT is still one of the cheapest state schools in the country but I could be wrong

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Badger of Basra posted:

They charge that much because state aid went down, they don't just do it for fun

Also I think UT is still one of the cheapest state schools in the country but I could be wrong

I spot checked against Arizona State, LSU, U of Arizona, and Kansas Univ, and UT Austin is less expensive for base tuition than all of those. Not the most accurate comparison, just 4 schools I'm familiar with.

I have no idea how much it's going to cost my kids to go to school. 17 years ago I was paying like 800 bucks a semester for community college, and the 1 semester I did at Arizona State was like 2200 bucks for 15 hours I think all in.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's lower than other schools, but not chump change. In-state tuition alone is ~$11k a year. 2 semesters in a dorm with a meal plan is a bit more than that as well.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I started at UT in Fall '89 (yeah I'm getting old) and my first semester tuition & fees was under $400. (And I think that included the student sports ticket package, which I think was $50 at the time.)

Plus, the university gave me an academic scholarship of $1000/semester, as long as I held a 3.25 GPA, so they were basically paying me to go there. It's sad that things have changed so much in basically one generation.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Number_6 posted:

I started at UT in Fall '89 (yeah I'm getting old) and my first semester tuition & fees was under $400. (And I think that included the student sports ticket package, which I think was $50 at the time.)

Plus, the university gave me an academic scholarship of $1000/semester, as long as I held a 3.25 GPA, so they were basically paying me to go there. It's sad that things have changed so much in basically one generation.

I understand that’s what tuition was that recently but reading it is still almost impossible to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Badger of Basra posted:

it was loving 5k a semester like 10 years ago lmao

the money clearly isn't going to staff or students

e: not to mention the insanely priced meal plans or the ~$700/mo to rent half of a 2 bedroom apartment in an area where the whole rear end thing usually costs less than a grand