Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

cali burrito top pick:

rf beans
rice
light pico to make room for ketchup
fries
light guac

-

Couple people in my neighborhood are stating they're getting 4,000 (450/wk + 600/wk) a month right now in Unemployment, their pre-tax total. Do you guys think the CARES act will be retroactively taxed next year?

How could you remember the ketchup but not the ranch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like tortillas and I like to put various foods in a tortilla and eat it
I've had a hell of a lot of different tortilla-wrapped foods and while I've had a few that I did not like, I've never had one that made me decide OK, this is the best one forever, all others pale. It's good to just like a lot of different things, in my opinion, and not super healthy for us as individuals or as a society to always be obsessed with ranking everything and having to decide on specific things to be the very best and then fighting about it.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

MEAT is MURDER. Pig Farms are usually in poorer rural areas and cause asthma and other illnesses due to breathing in 50,000 gallon vats of pig poo poo

Here's Pig poo poo Lake, Open air, wicking horrific fumes into the environment making minorities sick and permanently displaced with Asthma.

Lol yeah and yet it’s the orientalist trope of the wet market that makes the news every night

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Centrist Committee posted:

Lol yeah and yet it’s the orientalist trope of the wet market that makes the news every night

lengua and tripe is delicious, i'd eat an al pastor bat burrito or something

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lengua and tripe is delicious, i'd eat an al pastor bat burrito or something

same but only if it’s the 100% usda inspected bat slurry from taco bell

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

One of the dumbest parts of this whole thing is that the CCP is a legitimately terrible regime, that legitimately does do many incredibly horrible things, several of which directly contributed to the outbreak, but all the media attention from the White House and Chud-o-sphere is fixated on racist poo poo like “THEY EAT BAT SOUP!!!” and wet markets.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I know these are always fighting words but I think after many meany years I’ve found the best taqueria in the bay. It’s Tacos Ameca in Gilroy.

Gilroy is an extremely liberal definition of "the bay".

Still Dismal posted:

It’s a shame the owner of top dog is a libertarian psycho, because thems some tasty encased meats.

Going into a Top Dog is sorta like going into Psychiatry: An Industry of Death if Scientologists were better at sausage.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
A local small super chill hippie piece of beef is worse than a small local super chill hippie piece of pork. I'll keep eating it thanks.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
DTSJ crew checking in. I like to walk around the university sometimes. It's good especially now that most of the students have gone.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

droll posted:

A local small super chill hippie piece of beef is worse than a small local super chill hippie piece of pork. I'll keep eating it thanks.

This place is Local. Notice the pig poo poo mill? It's not as big. but it is still killing minorities.

When you think local you expect

the reality?

All of these photos are from local farms in CA.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i was working downtown sj until last year, and even before the pandemic all the restaurants were shutting down like crazy there

for example by last summer all three of the sushi places worth a drat closed up (one retooled into a ramen shop that's actually great)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was working downtown sj until last year, and even before the pandemic all the restaurants were shutting down like crazy there

for example by last summer all three of the sushi places worth a drat closed up (one retooled into a ramen shop that's actually great)

I helped someone open a sushi place here good concept, good financials, COVID-19 happened 2 weeks later. Business closed, owner bankrupt. Really sad, guys moving back to fiji

no PPP or bank loan would have staved off the 5 weeks of closure after a half a mil to get going.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

There's been talk of a restaurant bubble for years. This article is from 2016. COVID-19 will end up having been the impetus for a huge shift in dining that was probably coming anyway.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 23, 2020

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kenning posted:

Gilroy is an extremely liberal definition of "the bay".

It’s in the 408, Santa Clara County and on Caltrain. Seriously though. Go to Tacos Ameca next time you’re in Gilroy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Taco Mary's for our chicogoons

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kenning posted:

There's been talk of a restaurant bubble for years. This article is from 2016. COVID-19 will end up having been the impetus for a huge shift in dining that was probably coming anyway.
I enjoyed how this piece tries to frame the problem as a confluence of rising costs including labor and rent. Then the rent example cited is a landlord trying to TRIPLE rent. Gonna go out on a limb and guess that no restaurant has labor costs triple overnight. If they did, it's likely because they were illegally exploiting immigrant labor and got caught. Sounds like the problem is rent, i.e. the same problem we have with housing and consolidation of ownership everywhere.

edit: lol and then the labor cost example they cite is like a 10-15% increase

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 23, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

The sad fact of the current situation is that the restaurants best suited to weather this storm are fast food and chain restaurants. All your favorite local spots will go belly up and be replace by yet another Chik-fil-a or "make-your-own-pizza" place.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

bawfuls posted:

I enjoyed how this piece tries to frame the problem as a confluence of rising costs including labor and rent. Then the rent example cited is a landlord trying to TRIPLE rent. Gonna go out on a limb and guess that no restaurant has labor costs triple overnight. If they did, it's likely because they were illegally exploiting immigrant labor and got caught. Sounds like the problem is rent, i.e. the same problem we have with housing and consolidation of ownership everywhere.

hahah loving 10%? what is that 1 waiter 1 cook 1 dick in a mercedes?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I helped someone open a sushi place here good concept, good financials, COVID-19 happened 2 weeks later. Business closed, owner bankrupt. Really sad, guys moving back to fiji

no PPP or bank loan would have staved off the 5 weeks of closure after a half a mil to get going.

Your friend was horribly undercapitalized if they had a half mil startup cost but not enough cash left on hand to operate with no revenue (or just close the doors) for five weeks. Number reports vary but something around half of all startup non-chain restaurants fail in their first year, and all sources agree the #1 reason is undercapitalization. It typically takes a couple years for even a good restaurant in a noncompetitive market to get into the black, so you need enough extra capital after startup costs to handle running at a deficit for potentially a really long time. And of course, restaurants are so notoriously failure-prone that many banks won't touch them for small business loans.

Of course the covid-19 shutdown is a huge unanticipated hit, but... yeah, I'm sorry about your friend but he needed another quarter mil on hand probably, with or without the virus, to have a good shot; and if he fully shut down, laid off staff, did not buy inventory, and only had to float rent for 5 (or ten) weeks, and couldn't do that? He was already in deep trouble from the day he opened.

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

It’s in the 408, Santa Clara County and on Caltrain. Seriously though. Go to Tacos Ameca next time you’re in Gilroy.

They opened one in Morgan Hill near where my folks live, and it is really good. Up there for the best.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

bawfuls posted:

If labor costs ever tripled for an employer the government would send in the marines lol

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

FCKGW posted:

The sad fact of the current situation is that the restaurants best suited to weather this storm are fast food and chain restaurants. All your favorite local spots will go belly up and be replace by yet another Chik-fil-a or "make-your-own-pizza" place.

people dont prefer mcdonalds over a well made restaurant dinner. people just don't have the money or time to fine dine.

the only people i know that go to restaurants regularly are DINKs in their 40s.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Leperflesh posted:

Your friend was horribly undercapitalized if they had a half mil startup cost but not enough cash left on hand to operate with no revenue (or just close the doors) for five weeks. Number reports vary but something around half of all startup non-chain restaurants fail in their first year, and all sources agree the #1 reason is undercapitalization. It typically takes a couple years for even a good restaurant in a noncompetitive market to get into the black, so you need enough extra capital after startup costs to handle running at a deficit for potentially a really long time. And of course, restaurants are so notoriously failure-prone that many banks won't touch them for small business loans.

Of course the covid-19 shutdown is a huge unanticipated hit, but... yeah, I'm sorry about your friend but he needed another quarter mil on hand probably, with or without the virus, to have a good shot; and if he fully shut down, laid off staff, did not buy inventory, and only had to float rent for 5 (or ten) weeks, and couldn't do that? He was already in deep trouble from the day he opened.

You are correct, the trouble could have weathered with takeout orders etc and a serious staff reduction. Restaraunts can fail before they even open due to the startup costs, this was in the height of the economy, so the hubris was definitely a factor in all his decisions.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

hahah loving 10%? what is that 1 waiter 1 cook 1 dick in a mercedes?
They showed an example of increasing wages of minimum wage workers by $1/hr and how that would eat up half of this one restaurant's profit. And then the other labor cost example was the insane year over year increase in health insurance costs, which lol again a society-wide issue where we are all getting fleeced by rich fucks, not specific to this industry at all.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

bawfuls posted:

They showed an example of increasing wages of minimum wage workers by $1/hr and how that would eat up half of this one restaurant's profit. And then the other labor cost example was the insane year over year increase in health insurance costs, which lol again a society-wide issue where we are all getting fleeced by rich fucks, not specific to this industry at all.

Maybe if the restaraunt's food costs is through the roof, and they are over-leveraged with huge debt payments. lol the republicans "HEALTHCARE is too expensive, so let's get rid of obamacare" "this is fine" - red bull republicans

Landlords tripling the rent does happen, esp when success is seen. A restaraunt will usually have a huge rent increase after a 3 or 5 is up, depending on the success of the restaraunt.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 23, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

people dont prefer mcdonalds over a well made restaurant dinner. people just don't have the money or time to fine dine.

I mean that chain restaurants that were open before this have a better chance of weathering a 2-3 month "we're closed, use the drive through or doordash for food" rather than a family owned restaurant who doesn't have access to millions in capital to stay closed for several weeks. It has nothing to do with consumer preferences.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I've been trying to get food delivered from some of the local joints I like a couple times a week, it sucks and is expensive and I have to spend like 10 minutes in the garage moving food to new containers and making sure everything is disinfected, but I wanna get money into these places hands somehow.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FCKGW posted:

I mean that chain restaurants that were open before this have a better chance of weathering a 2-3 month "we're closed, use the drive through or doordash for food" rather than a family owned restaurant who doesn't have access to millions in capital to stay closed for several weeks. It has nothing to do with consumer preferences.

McDonald's has an internal financial loan system for franchisees ontop of the PPP. Most mccydees are family owned

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Still Dismal posted:

One of the dumbest parts of this whole thing is that the CCP is a legitimately terrible regime, that legitimately does do many incredibly horrible things, several of which directly contributed to the outbreak, but all the media attention from the White House and Chud-o-sphere is fixated on racist poo poo like “THEY EAT BAT SOUP!!!” and wet markets.

coworkers who get an immediate "shut the gently caress up about bat soup" from me are more numerous than I'd prefer

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Ammanas posted:

Of the people I know that eat out regularly (more than twice a week), 90% of them are in their 20s or 30s and in tech.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

cali burrito top pick:

rf beans
rice
light pico to make room for ketchup
fries
light guac

Uh, sir this is an Arby's drive through.

Foreal though if I ever see you putting ketchup on a burrito, I'm coming for ya.
Edit for clarity: that is a joke, it's more difficult to tell sans body language.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 24, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not from the USA so I had my first burrito in SF. In the last 13 years I've grown to appreciate them. Iguana's downtown is great. I've never in my life heard of ketchup on a burrito. I even went to a place in St. Louis that my colleagues called 'cheap mex' and it was the worst I've ever had, but even they had no ketchup there. There's a place a couple blocks south of SJSU that sells california wet burritos, which according to one guy I know is a San Diego thing, and they have fries (I'd call them chips) in the burritos and chipotle sauce on top, it's pretty great. But no ketchup. WTF.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BeAuMaN posted:

Do you also eat steak well-done and slather it with ketchup?

lol of course the steak elitism forces its way in

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I mean yea the meat industry is lovely, but when it comes to being lovely about meat and animals I think it prefer poorly regulated market of live meat over a poorly regulated market of dead meat.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

All of these photos are from local farms in CA.
Ah of course, like all the local Fresno farms at the Bay Area Farmer's markets.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

redreader posted:

There's a place a couple blocks south of SJSU that sells california wet burritos, which according to one guy I know is a San Diego thing, and they have fries (I'd call them chips) in the burritos and chipotle sauce on top, it's pretty great. But no ketchup. WTF.

Fries in a burrito is a socal thing called a California burrito. Extra rice in a burrito is a norcal thing called Mission burrito. Socal style Mexican is my preferred variety, I've had overall more positive experiences eating down that way. Mission burritos are for hungry dudes that want a shitton of carbs and don't care about the absence of tasting meat, I guess.

Nobody puts ketchup in/on their burritos that I know, but I don't know any working class 1st/2nd gen Mexican Americans. I've seen ketchup in taquerias but I assumed that was for the french fries/burgers/tortas that some of them have.

Lots of places do 'wet' burritos. Not sure if it's a socal origination.

droll fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 24, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I really only eat chicken and it's only because I am a ravenous monster that cannot quell its thirst for flesh

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Is this where we find out that peak burrito is Taco John's Meat and Potato burrito?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I really only eat chicken and it's only because I am a ravenous monster that cannot quell its thirst for flesh

I decide who I eat based on who is a jackass.

Not an actual jackass, they're adorable.

But chickens and pigs are assholes, I'll eat them. I'm less keen to eat cow, though my upbringing still has me craving its flesh.

Domestic turkeys are dumb af, I don't feel bad putting them out of their misery.

Fish are also bastards.

Octopi are cool af though, I don't like eating them at all.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lol of course the steak elitism forces its way in
I mean we are talking burrito elitism so why not steak elitism. :shrug:
(Well done steak is fine... as long as it's not well done ribeye :argh:)

HelloSailorSign posted:

Octopi are cool af though, I don't like eating them at all.

What about squid though? They're delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

BeAuMaN posted:

What about squid though? They're delicious.

My love for cephalopods as creatures is directly at odds with how tasty they are