Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

shovelbum posted:

but theres earnest cautious optimism and theres "the US is doing literally nothing effective, just taking a trip down ineffective faux social distancing lane to immiserate and smash a proletariat emboldened by a previously improving economy, and then going straight for the disease worst case"

Like this isn't the corona speedrun, this is the 105% run

eyyy, it's not so bad. you're probably not gonna die even if you get sick, assuming you're under 50. check out the cspam gardening thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Epic High Five posted:

what rural hospitals lol, isn't the best case scenario like those rich people vacation towns, and even those have like a single ICU bed?

yeah in the UP there's 58 icu beds for 300,000 year-round residents and almost all the beds are in one town. you're looking at hours on the road to get to one.

the real rich people vacation towns have 76 ICU beds between them, and their population more than quadruples in the summer.

summer travel is going to be brutal for rural america, just as soon as it gets hot enough to drive people north and to the water.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol even the free beacon is criticizing this poo poo

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

shovelbum posted:

i screamed at my wife that caring about peoples feelings at all in the pandemic is american exceptionalism and why we have shown zero curve flattening and i kept doubling down and down on it

my wife keeps saying its just the flu and theres no risk to young people and the economic impact will be more deadly andi dont really have it in me to argue beyond "i guess we'll see"

i dont really have a right to bitch about it anyway since aside from a weekly grocery/therapist/laundromat run, she doesn't leave the house and im still going to work every day

thats a bummer though when your partner is not seeing eye to eye with you

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BeefThief posted:

eyyy, it's not so bad. you're probably not gonna die even if you get sick, assuming you're under 50. check out the cspam gardening thread.

I just really want to make decisions I won't look back on and hate myself for with how I behave during the pandemic but screaming at my wife isn't one of those so you are probably onto something.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is what happens when despair is fetishized and any earnest cautious optimism is met with "shut the gently caress up, liberal"

I agree with this and I think it's kinda dumb the way people treated you a lot of times

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Kimmy boy overdid it on the preventative smoking

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Son of Man posted:

lmao he died for science

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

shovelbum posted:

but theres earnest cautious optimism and theres "the US is doing literally nothing effective, just taking a trip down ineffective faux social distancing lane to immiserate and smash a proletariat emboldened by a previously improving economy, and then going straight for the disease worst case"

Like this isn't the corona speedrun, this is the 105% run

The state you are in has cases now doubling more than every 11 days and a lot of those are in concentrated facilities like nursing homes and prisons. The percent of ER visits for covid-like symptoms is going down. Testing definitely needs to be improved but I don’t think you can say literally nothing at least parts of the US are doing is working at all

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

NofrikinfuN posted:

the economic impact will be more deadly

the sad thing is under capitalism we can all be equally right and millions will die from easily preventable causes in a depression

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

shovelbum posted:

like ive gotten delivery and stuff a few times and i wish i were stronger bc i know this is why america is hosed but oh my god i cant just sit inside for years while most people are living normal lives but wfh and seeing all their friends at each others houses and going to visit their families and poo poo, yall know what people are doing, standing exactly 6 feet apart in long rear end lines and poo poo like its a magic shield

Try to enjoy it I live in chud country too (deep South) and one of the best parts of quarantine is that it doesn't feel like the deep South because I don't have to go out and talk to dumbass rednecks

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mons Hubris posted:

The state you are in has cases now doubling more than every 11 days and a lot of those are in concentrated facilities like nursing homes and prisons. The percent of ER visits for covid-like symptoms is going down. Testing definitely needs to be improved but I don’t think you can say literally nothing at least parts of the US are doing is working at all

i will have cautious earnest optimism when we're testing a lot more bc the death curve still looks like a straight vertical line

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
GOOD: Being passionate about the continuation of quarantine and social distancing measures, arguing the point with anyone who says that rolling them back is based in any sort of reality.
BAD: Screaming at your wife for feeling encouraged by the reported figures.

SpiderHyphenMan has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Apr 24, 2020

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

shovelbum posted:

i screamed at my wife that caring about peoples feelings at all in the pandemic is american exceptionalism and why we have shown zero curve flattening and i kept doubling down and down on it

Yikes dawg probably not worth it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

yeah in the UP there's 58 icu beds for 300,000 year-round residents and almost all the beds are in one town. you're looking at hours on the road to get to one.

the real rich people vacation towns have 76 ICU beds between them, and their population more than quadruples in the summer.

summer travel is going to be brutal for rural america, just as soon as it gets hot enough to drive people north and to the water.

if mosquitos spread it, there might not be a Minnesota come October

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Haha here in good ol TN our cases have increased 11% since Wednesday but we're still going to open 'er up since that's just due to increased testing :thumbsup:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

lamo I didn’t even think of that. why wouldn’t they

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

shovelbum posted:

the sad thing is under capitalism we can all be equally right and millions will die from easily preventable causes in a depression

yeah there will definitely be some depression suicides and deaths due to starvation etc but those deaths are currently likely to happen even if we switch the economy back on now because who really wants to risk permanent lung damage for a big mac?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

shovelbum posted:

I appreciate your concern but it seems like there are just more and more new concerns every day about disabling lung effects in asymptomatic individuals, endemic resurgence, neurological effects, strokes and clots, and so many more new oddball symptoms every single day that it just feels like this omni plague where what we know about the worst case gets worse and worse daily, like weird grimms tales poo poo like your toes being cursed to turn orange

When tens of millions of people get infected there will be endless horror stories about the effects because events that happen at 0.01% frequency are still in endless supply. Even the common cold causing coronaviruses like OC43 cause horrifying poo poo like viral encephalopathy to happen in a very small portion of cases.

We're finding out a lot of new, scary stuff about the presentation of the disease, but that's good because now we have better insight into treatment instead of just "another patient on a ventilator died from ARDS" like we were hearing over and over and over the first couple of months. Now that we know people can go from asymptomatic to in danger quickly, we also know what early leading indicators to look for to save more people, like covid toes or checking for blood oxygen saturation drops even when people otherwise feel fine.

Some of the bounds on uncertainty are good news too. Covid is not killing 20% of the people it infects, even with the noisy antibody surveys we know it's more like 0.5-2%.

And some of the repeated scare stories are just bullshit. We've had SARS-CoV-2 in the wild for 5 months now and have not seen a meaningful mutation beyond phylogenetic drift even though we've seen repeated waves of stories talking about multiple strains.

In my opinion, compared to late February the uncertainty has changed in the following ways:

- More certainty that the true infection fatality rate is not larger than early estimates.
- More understanding of disease presentation and treatment options beyond intubate and pray.
- More certainty that SARS-CoV-2 mutates slowly
- More signs that SARS-CoV-2 may linger in some patients for a long duration of time.

All things considered, the last one is the only one that really gives me worry. The other stuff is all good things and makes me happy we didn't draw from the more bad part of the distribution of outcomes.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Guys I'm sorry I went the wrong way down the aisle at Publix the other day, I know I hosed up but I was really stoned

Son of Man has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Apr 24, 2020

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Yeah, I post in here how MA's caseload is growing and daily deaths are still increasing, but out ICU beds are still more than half empty. Over half the deaths are nursing home / assisted living related. Schools and daycares are closed through June. I doubt baker will lift the stay home order for another month.

It's bad everywhere and it's going to get worse but some places in the US are taking this seriously outside of NY

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

euphronius posted:

because mosquitos are an inhospitable place for most viruses

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Epic High Five posted:

brb gonna go post this rumor on some snowbird Facebook groups

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

this makes trump look way too good

what the hell are the Iranians thinking

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
However, if we get over the CV hump only to walk into another loving EEE outbreak I'll steal a crop duster and spray the ddt myself

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

shovelbum posted:

I appreciate your concern but it seems like there are just more and more new concerns every day about disabling lung effects in asymptomatic individuals, endemic resurgence, neurological effects, strokes and clots, and so many more new oddball symptoms every single day that it just feels like this omni plague where what we know about the worst case gets worse and worse daily, like weird grimms tales poo poo like your toes being cursed to turn orange

Your sense of proportion is broken dude

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

When tens of millions of people get infected there will be endless horror stories about the effects because events that happen at 0.01% frequency are still in endless supply. Even the common cold causing coronaviruses like OC43 cause horrifying poo poo like viral encephalopathy to happen in a very small portion of cases.

We're finding out a lot of new, scary stuff about the presentation of the disease, but that's good because now we have better insight into treatment instead of just "another patient on a ventilator died from ARDS" like we were hearing over and over and over the first couple of months. Now that we know people can go from asymptomatic to in danger quickly, we also know what early leading indicators to look for to save more people, like covid toes or checking for blood oxygen saturation drops even when people otherwise feel fine.

Some of the bounds on uncertainty are good news too. Covid is not killing 20% of the people it infects, even with the noisy antibody surveys we know it's more like 0.5-2%.

Yeah I think we can finally breathe a sigh of relief that the IFR isn't 20% population-wide untreated like it looked like early on

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/DrBronner/status/1253736732530364416?s=19

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

he'll yeah

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

is the hat, it give authority

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvgZtdmyKlI

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Ebola Roulette posted:

Haha here in good ol TN our cases have increased 11% since Wednesday but we're still going to open 'er up since that's just due to increased testing :thumbsup:

Hell ya baby I'm ready to hit da river

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Lmao if birx gets canned before fauci

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

doctor's orders!!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

because they don’t spread cold, flu, SARS, or any other coronavirus

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Son of Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTuBxBB4zp8

just look at this guy

talking with a cig in his mouth

edit: wow judging by his furious puffs, it looks like he wasn't able to smoke on the train

what kind of two-bit dictator can't even smoke on his own train?

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

I'm hella pissed I never got bcg as a child but I have been smoking a lot of cigarettes and eating a lot of shrooms lately so I think I'm good!!

Son of Man has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Apr 24, 2020

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The diseases spread by mosquitoes come from poo poo the mosquito actually like "gets" to at least some extent they don't work like dirty needles, poo poo lives in them and makes the jump in a specifically evolved manner.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

sincx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTuBxBB4zp8

just look at this guy

talking with a cig in his mouth

that match flick... :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

shovelbum posted:

hey guess what it feels like that because this thread is all you read and most of that news is flaming hot garbage from poo poo tier sources, get the gently caress off cspam for a day or two