Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Schadenboner posted:

Blimpunk is poo poo, the genre lacks an internal structure.

but generally has explosive finales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gonadic io posted:

but generally has explosive finales
/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/weird_hist/status/1253699487912079361

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

i do like the idea of a giant blimp dropping little baby biplanes into a freakin freefall until they get enough lift to fly on their own

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jonny 290 posted:

how would you design it

Basically they have it exactly backwards. Rotate the current design 180 so the glass bits are near the back of the head where it can't hurt your eyes. Meanwhile your eyes are protected by the strong shell :eng101:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

i do like the idea of a giant blimp dropping little baby biplanes into a freakin freefall until they get enough lift to fly on their own

the stall speed of those baby biplanes is like a swift walk, they're always flying

the problem is that when you are really close to something big the airflow suddenly changes and you have a tendency to crash into the big thing. its just one entry in the long list of why flying aircraft recover doen't really work.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RIGID AIRSHIP

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

hobbesmaster posted:

the stall speed of those baby biplanes is like a swift walk, they're always flying

the problem is that when you are really close to something big the airflow suddenly changes and you have a tendency to crash into the big thing. its just one entry in the long list of why flying aircraft recover doen't really work.

That design also seems to exist in a world where the idea of an enemy force having any kind of anti-aircraft capability is laughable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

That design also seems to exist in a world where the idea of an enemy force having any kind of anti-aircraft capability is laughable.
*extremely history channel voice*
the wwi zeppelins were actually quite hard to shoot down with biplanes, the holes they punched in the gas cells didn't let enough oxygen in to really get them burning

with the anti aircraft guns they developed by wwii yeah they'd be gone in seconds

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
plus I imagine they could hypothetically loiter out of range like a seagoing carrier

according to a documentary I watched the nazis had some success with this but had issues with civilian hijackings

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 24, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a blimp is a good guy with a blimp

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

gonadic io posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

issues with civilian hijackings

take this blimp ... to Cuba!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

[grainy footage of two blimps gently bumping into the WTC towers]

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

[grainy footage of two blimps gently bumping into the WTC towers]

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

gonadic io posted:

finally, ron paul's time to shine!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
How come none of the Saudi princes or Jeff bezoses of the world have made a modern luxury blimp?? You can make them way bigger than an RV and sure they have super yachts but you're restricted to the coastline with those!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

gonadic io posted:

How come none of the Saudi princes or Jeff bezoses of the world have made a modern luxury blimp?? You can make them way bigger than an RV and sure they have super yachts but you're restricted to the coastline with those!

I imagine a massive luxury dirigible would be an enormous pain in the rear end to dock. Add in having to deal with airspace restrictions, helium costs, and not being able to have mega-yacht levels of "and orgy suite, a drug suite, a private room, and a few guest rooms" space and it's just not worth it.

EDIT:

It looks like some companies are trying to make luxury blimp cruises a thing, but it just looks 'meh'. https://www.oceanskycruises.com/our-aircraft/

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 24, 2020

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

modern billionaires got no gumption, that's their problem

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
When I'm a modern billionaire...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if we're talking REALLY big blimps you could do it, passenger zeppelins could carry around 100 people in total. all that capacity dedicated to one rich person, staff for one, and a reasonable number of guests could be pretty luxurious

of course then you run into the problem that, yeah, there's literally nowhere in the world equipped to dock and service a vehicle like that

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

haveblue posted:

if we're talking REALLY big blimps you could do it, passenger zeppelins could carry around 100 people in total. all that capacity dedicated to one rich person, staff for one, and a reasonable number of guests could be pretty luxurious

of course then you run into the problem that, yeah, there's literally nowhere in the world equipped to dock and service a vehicle like that

Ur mum would have to take some yoga classes but I think she could work her way up to it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you'd have to perfect the aircraft docking concept so you could have them go land for supplies and you the rich person never has to set foot on the surface again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is it possible to embed that entire archer blimp episode on this page

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
N for Nancy?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://i.imgur.com/9Sbkd2K.mp4

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Star Wars Kid really grew up!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

haveblue posted:

you'd have to perfect the aircraft docking concept so you could have them go land for supplies and you the rich person never has to set foot on the surface again

The Russians used a crane

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

i think the problem is that they're slow and it'd take like a week to get from NY to Paris

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gonadic io posted:

N for Nancy?

Mancy!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

jeez, you of all people

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

luxury megablimp begs the question of why not a luxury A380

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

https://www.etihad.com/en-gb/fly-etihad/our-cabins/the-residence

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what, and share the plane with other people? you monster.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you didn't want a butler and full kitchen you'd be alone with your pilots on a global express

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

those exist tho

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Found Sky Captain, watching now. Just pipe this poo poo into my veins.

:yum:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Schadenboner posted:

Found Sky Captain, watching now.

Same. I'm finding it very weird though because I haven't actually seen any of the noir movies it's referencing/homaging/apeing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gonadic io posted:

I haven't actually seen any of the noir movies it's referencing/homaging/apeing
sounds like you have a weekend project ahead

noir 101: maltese falcon, big sleep, double indemnity, kiss me deadly, sunset boulevard, this gun for hire

intermediate noir: night and the city, the killing, touch of evil

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

sounds like you have a weekend project ahead

noir 101: maltese falcon, big sleep, double indemnity, kiss me deadly, sunset boulevard

intermediate noir: night and the city, the killing, touch of evil

Brick isn't classic noir but it's real fuckin' good as is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Chinatown is probably one of the best movies ever but an art:artist separation is v.necessary here :shudder:.