Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Bug? Cherub cannot get any move action out of that spot, they're just one man armying baddies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
drat Claymore just sucks rear end. I thought grenade guy would be good from previous xcoms but his skills are just too slow. Should've taken the muton guy.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Are you supposed to take the game slowly? I basically blitzed the final mission asap, gaining basically no anarchy and very little unrest... But the final mission for the first enemy faction is probably impossible for my squad. The game was actually not difficult at all up to this point (maybe I have to increase difficulty). I have no upgraded weapons or armor, and the final mission itself has a timer once it hits your board, so I can't delay it further. I guess I'm restarting and letting the city get messed up more, so I have more time to gear up?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Are you supposed to take the game slowly? I basically blitzed the final mission asap, gaining basically no anarchy and very little unrest... But the final mission for the first enemy faction is probably impossible for my squad. The game was actually not difficult at all up to this point (maybe I have to increase difficulty). I have no upgraded weapons or armor, and the final mission itself has a timer once it hits your board, so I can't delay it further. I guess I'm restarting and letting the city get messed up more, so I have more time to gear up?

I did the first "Final" mission with 1 point of anarchy (I cleared) doing a small amount of other missions and delaying jsut the final one. The biggest thing to making the long e rmissions work is bringing 2+ medkits at least. You will take unavoidable damage due to basically facing packs of 6-8 vs your 4 squad members so having healing is way more important than Regular X-com (where you can control engagement)

Case in point I just had a mission start with 3 enemies in cover ready to shoot my squad as they come in, I didn't have the output to kill all 3 so it was mitigation time

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

4 hours in and I still find myself trying to cycle through my team members on my turn :downs:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Stormgale posted:

I did the first "Final" mission with 1 point of anarchy (I cleared) doing a small amount of other missions and delaying jsut the final one. The biggest thing to making the long e rmissions work is bringing 2+ medkits at least. You will take unavoidable damage due to basically facing packs of 6-8 vs your 4 squad members so having healing is way more important than Regular X-com (where you can control engagement)

Case in point I just had a mission start with 3 enemies in cover ready to shoot my squad as they come in, I didn't have the output to kill all 3 so it was mitigation time

I mean, yeah. Like I said before, the game wasn't actually difficult up until this point, when the 'boss' gets a move literally every other turn (1, 3, 5, etc), guardians providing shields to everyone, and a reinforcement mechanic that forces you to put someone in a spot with no cover to turn it off. Also, turning off the reinforcements sends in an even more bullshit reinforcement. Despite all this, I love the game! I think it was just a failure of mine spreading out research. If people are on the fence about Chimera Squad, it's absolutely worth your money if you can afford it in these difficult times.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

:kimchi:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

It's unsurprising to me insofar as people like that will perform whatever mental gymnastics are necessary to make circle get the square.

It's a little weird for white supremacists to make XCOM their Alamo though, since it's such a major part of the series that the aliens have vastly superior technology and humans can only survive by adopting the tools and abilities of their enemy.

I mean hell, Enemy Within had you outright splicing alien genes into your soldiers to make them better.

I mean... not really? Like it seems to me that something like XCOM would play into racial supremacist fantasy/ideology really easily, if incidentally; the enemy is ostentatiously superior in very obvious ways, while also being weak in other, arguably more important areas that let the superficially lesser side triumph, which is a huge part of this kinda world view afaict. Beyond that human stuff is just straight up better then what the various catspaws arrayed in opposition get to use in general, with a pretty obvious example being plasma weapons, which the Elders janissaries are using from the start, by and large, but which end up being completely outclassed by the plasma weapons XCOM can manufacture.

Pretty obviously these things are gameplay conceits in order to make things fun to play and give you a reasonable chance to win, but the necessity of this being a game (and thus being fun) creates a situation where this sort of interpretation of "aliens seem superior, except they're actually inferior, thus humans = best" can sneak in.

Uh, anyway, game good so far. The banter is pretty amusing, and the breaching mechanic seems cool. It also creates a pretty neat sense of mission escalation going from what are pretty simple early encounters to much more dangerous later fights just by the addition of less easily surprised chumps.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't care how much human DNA they have, its just lame. A sectoid shouldn't be talking like a normal human being.

I agree with you that mutons should not get a delicate lady voice, but this is just wrong. Sectoids would speak psionically and have the richest, most soothing Barry White voices ever.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jackhammer posted:

drat Claymore just sucks rear end. I thought grenade guy would be good from previous xcoms but his skills are just too slow. Should've taken the muton guy.

Once he got grenade regen and I got some grenades which were free actions to throw, I found him pretty useful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Avasculous posted:

It's unsurprising to me insofar as people like that will perform whatever mental gymnastics are necessary to make circle get the square.

It's a little weird for white supremacists to make XCOM their Alamo though, since it's such a major part of the series that the aliens have vastly superior technology and humans can only survive by adopting the tools and abilities of their enemy.

I mean hell, Enemy Within had you outright splicing alien genes into your soldiers to make them better.

MShadowy posted:

I mean... not really? Like it seems to me that something like XCOM would play into racial supremacist fantasy/ideology really easily, if incidentally; the enemy is ostentatiously superior in very obvious ways, while also being weak in other, arguably more important areas that let the superficially lesser side triumph, which is a huge part of this kinda world view afaict. Beyond that human stuff is just straight up better then what the various catspaws arrayed in opposition get to use in general, with a pretty obvious example being plasma weapons, which the Elders janissaries are using from the start, by and large, but which end up being completely outclassed by the plasma weapons XCOM can manufacture.

Pretty obviously these things are gameplay conceits in order to make things fun to play and give you a reasonable chance to win, but the necessity of this being a game (and thus being fun) creates a situation where this sort of interpretation of "aliens seem superior, except they're actually inferior, thus humans = best" can sneak in.

Hey. Please do not do this in the thread. Please take this to D&D.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Whelp, apparently my laptop simply isn´t good enough to handle Chimera Squad, even though it handles XCOM 2 with War of the Chosen without a hitch. Guess I´ll just have to see if Geforce releases some patch or Firaxis manages to tighten up the code to allow my clearly inferior rig to run the darn game :v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Whelp, apparently my laptop simply isn´t good enough to handle Chimera Squad, even though it handles XCOM 2 with War of the Chosen without a hitch. Guess I´ll just have to see if Geforce releases some patch or Firaxis manages to tighten up the code to allow my clearly inferior rig to run the darn game :v:

Yeah, I could run XCOM2 on high settings but when I loaded up Chimera Squad it told me I didn't meet the minimum requirements, still runs at 30 FPS on lowest settings though. It does get choppy in places mind you.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Brick Shipment posted:

4 hours in and I still find myself trying to cycle through my team members on my turn :downs:

the biggest problem with this system is that it is much harder to plan out movements and stuff because you cant select your other dudes to check movement and los and stuff

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What happens if you get Anarchy in a district? Is that game over or is it like a council member withdrawing?

I really wish you could have 2 people in training at once.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 24, 2020

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

What happens if you get Anarchy in a district? Is that game over or is it like a council member withdrawing?

The latter. Also when a district reaches max anarchy you get a fairly tough mission to bring it down

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Looks great. Though I fear I will have the same problem with this that I had with New Vegas, where no amount of new gimmicks and game modes can change the fact that it's still repackaged assets of a game I've played way too much of and won't make me not completely sick of it. By this I mean I am probably going to clock in only a mere 800 hours on this one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My thoughts on the game having binged it all afternoon;

The good:

-This core gameplay seems really loving fun. I think its a great direction for a strategy game, and while I wouldn't want it to replace Xcom entirely I think its a fantastic system in its own right. Its fast, its fun, its challenging, and it seems like it could have a lot of depth. Whatever limitations Chimera Squad ends up having I think are gonna be a consequence of the game being smaller in scale rather than the inherent systems being flawed. But I'm surprised by how much depth I've seen already given the price tag.
-It seems like a fun continuation of the Xcom story while focused smaller in scale. Its cool to see things from a smaller perspective for once and it fits in nicely with the narrative, at least so far.
-All the squad members I've used so far seem pretty fun. I'm not tempted to just use the fancy aliens and even the 'normal' humans are bringing cool stuff to the table.

The Bad:

-I'm not sold on the approach of set characters at all, mainly due to the mechanical consequences. Failing a mission when one squad member dies kind of sucks. I feel like this is gonna be my biggest mechanical issue with the game in the long run, because it removes the struggle of a faltering campaign somewhat. Either you crush your missions or they are literally lost. The idea of doing an ironman campaign where a single dead soldier ruins EVERYTHING just sounds so lovely.

The Ugly:

-I hate hate hate hate the way aliens are being presented in terms of audio and some visuals. They don't feel nearly as alien anymore and not in a good way. I always loved the audio design of the Xcom games and these weird aliens speaking in normal rear end human voices is really taking me out of things. I hate that sectoids don't sound like gnarly, cowardly freaks. I want vipers to hiss and speak with a lisp, or at least a filter. I want mutons to not look like horrible frog people. I want the ADVENT purists to actually speak their bullshit alien language again!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is it just me or does Torque's pattern of scales make anyone else think of a little hat?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Four seems like one too few squad members. Other than that game is pretty good but I’m apparently pretty bad at it. No matter what I try and do all the missions go to difficult or very difficult super fast.

Should I be training more? I just restarted so only have five squaddies and feel like the extra should be stuck in the assembler at all times.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The gently caress is the point of a one-turn stun? The enemy just...wakes up and does their thing. It's a complete waste of an action to do something that only stuns an enemy for one turn.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Bussamove posted:

Four seems like one too few squad members. Other than that game is pretty good but I’m apparently pretty bad at it. No matter what I try and do all the missions go to difficult or very difficult super fast.

Should I be training more? I just restarted so only have five squaddies and feel like the extra should be stuck in the assembler at all times.

Playing on Expert I am finding it a big change from XCOM 2. I had to beeline for the Enhanced series of weapons and stack my missions with guys of the right weapon types the moment the first one got researched. If you are on hardcore like I am, if you are feeling at all that you might not want to go on a mission because maybe one of your better operators are training to get rid a scar or something or you need to wait a day for significant research to complete then just skip it. There seem to be a lot of ways to combat unrest outside of completing missions.

Pay special attention to your operator's breach abilities. There are some very powerful ones like the shield guy that can straight up taunt an aggressive enemy (the kind that fires back during breach phase) and absorb 100% of the damage freeing up your other 3 guys to quickly kill as many exposed surprised enemies. The sectoid guy also gains an ability to basically remove the aggressive trait off of one enemy to allow you to nuke the surprised. Other times, it is better to nuke down the aggressive enemies first so they don't get to fire back at you during the breach phase, especially if they have some sort of crowd control ability like enemy sectoids that can be difficult to get to. Basically you have to do your homework and look at the breach options and make sure you bring the right breach equipment and the right breach squad members and maximize your damage and disruption during breach.

Failing to knock out or disrupt the enemy significantly during the Breach phase means a very difficult uphill climb, especially if you have multi-phase missions, you can run into endurance issues. Also if you hear HQ tell you to "grab X" and GTFO, then make sure you do it. Playing old XCOM 2 style and hanging back will usually get you killed because those missions typically have infinite reinforcement waves. Think of it like a soft timer, you don't have an old X turn cap but it is likely not in your best interest to stick around any longer than necessary.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

The gently caress is the point of a one-turn stun? The enemy just...wakes up and does their thing. It's a complete waste of an action to do something that only stuns an enemy for one turn.

I've been wondering that too.

TIL: Zephyr's lockdown attacks CAN and frequently do miss.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I love punch lady and I think I only managed to do the freaking Gatekeeper stabby man mission by the seat of my drat trousers.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

I think it's worth it if they're next in the timeline?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think it's worth it if they're next in the timeline?

That has not been my experience, though to be fair I can't guarantee I've stunned literally the next guy in the turn order rather than a dude somewhere a bit farther down (though still within the same turn).

I think it's just broken. The game is checking and removing the status at the wrong time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Rendering people unconscious is nice and all but good lord does Crowdsource make Verge a monster.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

Rendering people unconscious is nice and all but good lord does Crowdsource make Verge a monster.

If it wasn't for loving lightning reflexes I am pretty sure that would have been enough to kill the ex advent rear end in a top hat by itself.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

Especially considering you can spend a turn double stunning if you want?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Internet Kraken posted:

-I hate hate hate hate the way aliens are being presented in terms of audio and some visuals. They don't feel nearly as alien anymore and not in a good way. I always loved the audio design of the Xcom games and these weird aliens speaking in normal rear end human voices is really taking me out of things. I hate that sectoids don't sound like gnarly, cowardly freaks. I want vipers to hiss and speak with a lisp, or at least a filter. I want mutons to not look like horrible frog people. I want the ADVENT purists to actually speak their bullshit alien language again!

I wish they had modulated voices or something, somehow that would allow me to love Floyd Tesseract even more.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Ornamented Death posted:

1 turn stun is basically just an interrupt for channeling abilities, like the psi lift, or the barrage from archons. Other than that, it's just another vehicle to put someone on your neural network

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It's a one action stun, since the enemy uses 2 actions per turn just like you (usually) do. So if they're out in the open for some reason, they may decide to bolt for cover instead of taking a shot at you. Or if they're far away, they may not be able to shoot you without first moving up. But yeah, stunning both actions is drastically better.

One thing that's bothering me, when you're in the actual breaching action (the slow-mo door kick and shoot bit) there doesn't seem to be any way to tell how many more rooms you have to clear. It tells you at the door, and once you're in the normal firefight. But during the breach, at the exact moment when you are deciding if you want to use your one-use-per-mission special breaching moves, you can't tell if this is your last room or if there are still more. (If I am missing this somewhere please tell me because this is really annoying)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Technically, they might actually be modulating their freaky alien voices to sound more 'normal' to fit in with the humans.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I wish they had modulated voices or something, somehow that would allow me to love Floyd Tesseract even more.

some smart modder will fix this, I'm sure

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I got Zephyr and she was very confusing at first but Im guessing shes just about the best possible character for missions where you interact with things

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Torque is a goddamn serial killer. With the improved bind I spend a lot of her turns camped out in the corner grabbing and strangling hapless mooks who wander too close. The body count is hilarious

I'm really pleased with how little this game wastes your goddamn time. I got through 6 or 7 tactical missions in a couple of hours.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
XCOM3 better have Breach missions. Turning pods into jumping through windows and blowing holes through walls and yelling GO GO GO while enemies eat glorious shotgun bean bags to the face and Torque sprays acid at an idiot in cover is great

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does Stupor do anything? I've used it on enemies and they take their turn and shoot me just like normal.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

I believe it gets rid of an action point, so they an't take a full move, move an reload, etc.

It sucks when it happens to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Lone Badger posted:

Does Stupor do anything? I've used it on enemies and they take their turn and shoot me just like normal.

It stuns for one or two action points. Two skips their turn, one interrupts abilities like the Psi Suplex or Mind Control and means they can only do one thing on their turn instead of being able to Move and Shoot etc.