Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

A single zipline, from sea to shining sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the q sphere is all up in arms about how bill gates (plus fauci) planned the pandemic to juice his vaccine sales or some poo poo, that's what the "event 201" thing is about

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

the Mass numbers include a Quest Diag backlog since the 13th. the real numbers today were around 2800 new.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Don't drink bleach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqHxKVUG8cU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

-Tolberone Triangle
- Kyoon
- Three Olives
- The guy who carried the printer across town

-The guy who went through every frame of The Chipmunk Adventure so he could screencap the panty shots

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

MorrisBae posted:

-The guy who went through every frame of The Chipmunk Adventure so he could screencap the panty shots
What the

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

-Tolberone Triangle
- Kyoon
- Three Olives

- Caro

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Only the best

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Taco Duck posted:

loving lol at politifact saying Trump never suggested that we should inject bleach into people. What the hell happened to politifact

'fact checkers' have been 'both sides' trash for ages, if not forever

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

:thunk:

If only there was some way to have known ahead of time that everything was getting really loving wild out there and to try stay safe.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

UN's saying that world hunger will double this year. Super glad we have the system that allocates resources best!

this winter's gonna be wild

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1253818452265054209

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

-The Joose seller goon who got high on his own supply and died
-His TCC customers who tried to demand their money back from his surviving family
-Pele

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

nicotine valium vicodin marijuana ecstasy and alcohol

c-c-c-c-c-clo-roxxxxxxx

better living through trumpery

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Siljmonster posted:

Everything about this smells like garbage

you mean Hole?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I never knew Mr. Yuk had a theme song

IMO he doesnt seem very mean, he fulfills an important role of warning

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

A chud rear end in a top hat I know from my hometown posted this on Facebook. I know we’ve gotten some new antibody studies recently but I don’t think this holds up? He’s just another small business tyrant (restaurant owner) who wants to re-open. If anyone has any info on hospitalization rates, I’d love to dunk on him.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

we've reached it folks, the end game

"Drinking Bleach to Own the Libs" is now real

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Burn Zone posted:

A chud rear end in a top hat I know from my hometown posted this on Facebook. I know we’ve gotten some new antibody studies recently but I don’t think this holds up? He’s just another small business tyrant (restaurant owner) who wants to re-open. If anyone has any info on hospitalization rates, I’d love to dunk on him.

I believe we averaged a pearl harbor a day of casualties and while the Korean war lasted three years, we lost more people to Covid 19 in the last three weeks. People seem to have more difficulty saying it's not a big deal when you compare it wars.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

My Gimmick Name posted:

we've reached it folks, the end game

"Drinking Bleach to Own the Libs" is now real

got em right where we want em

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
can’t get proved for telling people t drink bleach when Trumk says it’s good for you

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Burn Zone posted:

look up the false positive rate on that antibody test

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
So I replied to the safety department about not mandating mask usage when everyone goes back to work and cranking up the HVAC to "circulate the air" saying that it seems dangerous. I sent the link from the CDC showing people getting infected across an entire restaurant by asymptomatic carriers sitting in front of an AC unit in China.

They replied back that this is the group they are taking guidance from:

https://www.ashrae.org/about/news/2020/ashrae-issues-statements-on-relationship-between-covid-19-and-hvac-in-buildings

"We promise, air conditioning is not spreading the disease and buying new filtration and HVAC systems will help stop the spread" - signed, the HVAC industry.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So wait is the cato institute wife guy not the first goon to get a divorce because of cspam or what

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Over 100k new cases worldwide today, that's a big load of roni

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

So wait is the cato institute wife guy not the first goon to get a divorce because of cspam or what

drat did the economics thread bully him into leaving his libertarian wife?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Over 100k new cases worldwide today, that's a big load of roni

wow, sounds terrible. good thing we are past the peak here in america!!!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

power word- Jeb! posted:

is that a thing

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I never knew Mr. Yuk had a theme song

IMO he doesnt seem very mean, he fulfills an important role of warning

this fuckin rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLsONa3gKIQ

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

drat did the economics thread bully him into leaving his libertarian wife?
no

anyone with half a brain could realize it was a bit

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I got a friend with a wedding early August that he's expecting a bunch of people to fly in for and I was lowkey wondering why he was waiting to pull the trigger to postpone it. Turns out after some digging that he's been looking at the garbo IMHE model

http://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

So yeah, um, I don't really know how to address this other than saying "this data is wrong because we have actual evidence from other countries that have handled it better than us that this isn't how reality is gonna look"

just look at the fuckin steep drop lol

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

PostNouveau posted:

-Tolberone Triangle
- Kyoon
- Three Olives

the guy who ended up in a syrian torture prison

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
the cool thing about Mr. Yuk was that they distributed those stickers to kids in school and then expected them to crawl into the cabinet underneath the sink and start handing all the dangerous chemicals as they put the stickers on them

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

twoday posted:

the cool thing about Mr. Yuk was that they distributed those stickers to kids in school and then expected them to crawl into the cabinet underneath the sink and start handing all the dangerous chemicals as they put the stickers on them

Sounds about right

You can't force companies to put warnings on things!!!!!!!!!!

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
labeling this drink for later, took a swig of it and i made a mr. yuk face

hopefully i dont forget to not put my hand over the sticker when i go to take another drink of it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

that's Caro

coke
Jul 12, 2009

power word- Jeb! posted:

quote:

In the Santa Clara county study, researchers recruited volunteers using Facebook and had them come to one of three drive-through test sites. They ended up testing the blood of 3,330 adults and children for antibodies. They found 50 blood samples, or 1.5 percent, were positive for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies.

They then adjusted their figures to try to estimate what positive tests they would have gotten back if their pool of volunteers better matched the demographics of the county. The volunteer pool skewed toward certain zip codes in the county and were enriched for women and white people relative to the county’s real makeup. The researchers’ adjustment ended up nearly doubling the prevalence of positives, bringing them from 1.5 percent to an estimated 2.8 percent.

They then adjusted the data again to account for inaccuracies of the antibody test. There are two metrics for accuracy here: sensitivity and specificity. Sensitivity relates to how good the test is at correctly identifying all true positives. Specificity relates to how good the test is at correctly identifying all the true negatives—in other words, avoiding false positives.

quote:

In Premier’s hands, the test correctly identified 25 known positive samples out of a total of 37. In tests at Stanford, the study authors reported correctly identifying 153 known positives out of 160 with the test. Combining the estimates, they figured a sensitivity was most likely about 80 percent (within a range of 72.1 percent and 87 percent possible).

When Premier tried 30 samples known to be negative, its antibody test accurately identified all 30 of them as negative. But in Stanford’s labs, the test only correctly identified 369 of 371 truly negative samples tested. The authors of the study concluded the test most likely had a specificity of about 99.5 percent (within a range of 98.3 percent and 99.9 percent possible).

The specificity estimate suggests that just 0.5 percent of tests will be false positives, but the range leaves open the possibility that up to 1.7 percent of tests are false positives. This is a big sticking point for critics.

In the Santa Clara study, the researchers only found 50 samples out of 3,330 were positive. That’s a 1.5-percent positive rate. Given that the false positive rate may be up to 1.7 percent, it’s possible (if unlikely) that every positive test detected was a false positive.

The point is not that critics think that every positive sample the study authors found was actually a false positive. Rather, they note this because it means that assessing the accuracy of the positive sample with precision is impossible.

As Gelman notes in his blog:

quote:

Again, the real point here is not whether zero is or “should be” in the 95% [confidence] interval, but rather that, once the specificity can get in the neighborhood of 98.5% or lower, you can’t use this crude approach to estimate the prevalence; all you can do is bound it from above, which completely destroys the ‘50-85-fold more than the number of confirmed cases’ claim.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/experts-demolish-studies-suggesting-covid-19-is-no-worse-than-flu/

basically their approach to estimate 'positive' population is garbage

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

pisspiggranddad or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004