Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

1stGear posted:

my bad i'll go back to uncritically accepting what random goons say

Why cant you just think for yourself lol

Hmm guess i gotta just accept peoples word for things or listen to a loving dork that makes youtube vids about video gamss that are always terrible. The only options in my totally not a dumbass brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
who loving cares can we please see some more generic mmo alpha footage

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
hell yeah

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Ya'll care too much about random neckbeards on internet. Can we all just get back to talking about "totally not a scam mmo"?

The whole "nodes" system seems pretty stupid tbh. It's basically a grindy content lock system that masquerades as reactivity. I'm not sure what it actually serves to add to the game. Sure, it might be fun building poo poo up the first time around. But either A) poo poo will never get torn down and therefore will just always be at max level making it no different than a static environment. B) poo poo will constantly get torn down making a massive tedious grind to rebuild everything. Like I can see this working if the world-state got reset in some way every few months like Crowfall/PotBs/HnH or if they had constant new servers that would be merged into an existing server like China. But at this point this just looks like standard themeparking with extra steps.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Six AM posted:

Why cant you just think for yourself lol

Hmm guess i gotta just accept peoples word for things or listen to a loving dork that makes youtube vids about video gamss that are always terrible. The only options in my totally not a dumbass brain

I always wait for a dork to react to said dork. I form my opinion based on that because I am a man of culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MUV0Bl6mFg

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 15, 2020

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Look at those infected gums holy poo poo lol

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Chronicles of Elyria turned out to be a massive scam. So how long until people catch on with ashes of creation? Is the name a subtle mockery of anyone who would back it?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

CoE was an obvious scam because they never demonstrated that the game actually works as an MMO as they never released anything outside of pre-rendered footage and tech demoes that had nothing to do with the game. The team they had working on the project (at least during the Kickstarter announcement) literally only had one programmer on it who hasn't actually ever been credited on an MMO.

AoC at least has given some "influencers" hands on experience with an accelerated progression version of what is supposed to be the final game including dungeons. And I guess their random foray into making a BR does prove they're capable of making a multiplayer game that can support more than a dozen people. I'm not saying that AoC won't turn out to be a scam, but if it does, it's going to be a significantly more competent scam than CoE.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The thread op is Alexander de large. The game is never coming out and is a scam by virtue of this fact.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Only most of Alexander DeLarge's threads are for scam games that will never come out. Some of them are scam games that actually came out.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
go deLarge or stay at home

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lazy Peon was the guy too stupid to handle FF14 so he bought the skip potions and then wondered why the game felt confusing and detached

He's not very smart and it's very ok to make fun of him

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lazy Peon was the guy too stupid to handle FF14 so he bought the skip potions and then wondered why the game felt confusing and detached

Lazy peopn is very dumb and making fun of him is fine. Pretending forcing you to play through all the garbage makework to play the current content in ff14 is cool is also dumb.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Cool Buff Man posted:

don’t sign your posts!!1

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

New gameplay video with lots of stuff in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwaYLOuw2s

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Lol what a poop

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I like it it reminds me of RIFT. it will be terrible.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Lazy Peon. Also his videos are cool and good.

I don’t think AoC is a scam but I’m a loving moron because I’m the guy who started the Landmark OP.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well at Landmark had voxels

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

LuckyCat posted:

I don’t think AoC is a scam but I’m a loving moron because I’m the guy who started the Landmark OP.

To be fair, I probably got my $100 worth in something that got to be nothing more than voxel-based minecraft.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

LuckyCat posted:

It's like hmmmmmmmm x4 in so few words

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
The Lazy Peon made another video about Ashes of Creation. It looks promising at least, but so did many other MMOs. I really can't get hyped for any new mmo anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s82xJnx1EY

Look at all these fun pre-order deals they have.

Yep you get to pay to alpha test the game, get game time and in game money for more then they are worth, and get a bunch of skins you probably will hate. The bundles "cheaper" then this one won't even let you reserve your name.

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 19, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Is it at Crowfall level yet where they have new backer and founder packs every other week?

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
The interview with Shroud and Summit and the fact that it has Australian servers already confirmed has absolutely put this game on the map for me. I remember looking at this game like 1-2 years ago and not at all being that impressed but it seems like they've come pretty far. Eager to see how this one pans out- unlike NW... (I ain't preordering poo poo these days though)

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

I got really confused when he showed what seemed to be 2 games: A action-based third party battle royal, and a traditional Everquest-like combat system with hotbars. There was something about being able to switch between each? I'm so confused.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Yea the CEO's talking with asmongold right now, dudes putting out the PR. Everything he is saying sounds loving fun.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Asmongold is interviewing the CEO out of nowhere on his stream and he's promising a LOT of stuff and systems that interact with eachother

Kinda suspicious considering all the past MMOs that also promised that stuff, some stuff sounds very over-designed

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cardboard Fox posted:

I got really confused when he showed what seemed to be 2 games: A action-based third party battle royal, and a traditional Everquest-like combat system with hotbars. There was something about being able to switch between each? I'm so confused.

They released the battle royale mode as a way to test combat and other systems.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

frajaq posted:

Asmongold is interviewing the CEO out of nowhere on his stream and he's promising a LOT of stuff and systems that interact with eachother

Kinda suspicious considering all the past MMOs that also promised that stuff, some stuff sounds very over-designed

Not going to blame him for doing PR (and pretty good PR at that). I don't think it's over designed but more the scope is too big. None of these systems are really that complex. But yeah, at this point I'm cautious about any MMO. Pre-ordering is for suckers.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0LQSMT83L0

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

WoW's already on life support so it wouldn't take much.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Sounds pretty dope. I'm ready to slavishly defend this to the death, and will, after the inevitable disappointment, pretend that I was never invested at all.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Ya'll literally giving your money to a guy who worked in a MLM (XanGo), made his money in real-estate, and has absolutely no prior game-dev experience. It would be one thing if he simply funded the project, but since he's admitted that all the design decisions are made by him, I'm very skeptical if this will actually play anywhere near as good as people are making it sound. Since he basically picked up the scraps from EQ Next who didn't take a well-paying job and his budgeting does seem somewhat reasonable, I'm confident that they will finish something that technically works as an MMO. I just doubt it will be a good one.

To clarify, I'm not saying that it's a scam because he was involved in a MLM at some point when he was younger. We all make bad life decisions in our youth. I'm pointing out that the guy calling the shots has no qualifications to call the shots short of "I played MMOs for a while" and by that logic your manchild of an uncle should be qualified to coach his favorite sportsball team because he watched all their games.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 21, 2020

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

SweetBro posted:

Ya'll literally giving your money to a guy who worked in a MLM (XanGo), made his money in real-estate, and has absolutely no prior game-dev experience. It would be one thing if he simply funded the project, but since he's admitted that all the design decisions are made by him, I'm very skeptical if this will actually play anywhere near as good as people are making it sound. Since he basically picked up the scraps from EQ Next who didn't take a well-paying job and his budgeting does seem somewhat reasonable, I'm confident that they will finish something that technically works as an MMO. I just doubt it will be a good one.

To clarify, I'm not saying that it's a scam because he was involved in a MLM at some point when he was younger. We all make bad life decisions in our youth. I'm pointing out that the guy calling the shots has no qualifications to call the shots short of "I played MMOs for a while" and by that logic your manchild of an uncle should be qualified to coach his favorite sportsball team because he watched all their games.

I said slavishly defend, not fund (don't back kickstarter games). And how dare you. This game will be so well received that eventually our entire society will be structured around it, like that game from that Iain Banks book.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Space Monster posted:

Sounds pretty dope. I'm ready to slavishly defend this to the death, and will, after the inevitable disappointment, pretend that I was never invested at all.

The only realist in this thread. I want to prepurchase (preorder packs) this poo poo so loving bad and I have no idea what makes me this way. Am I brain hosed? Has Blizzard broken me? (Yes)

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 21, 2020

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

my first thought on finishing the video was that the flying mount thing signifies that it was made by a total grognard lead

like, why bother putting flying mounts in the game if only 10 people out of 10k are gonna even have them? spend the dev time doing anything else.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

my first thought on finishing the video was that the flying mount thing signifies that it was made by a total grognard lead

like, why bother putting flying mounts in the game if only 10 people out of 10k are gonna even have them? spend the dev time doing anything else.

They're supposed to act as Daenaeys-esque PvP raid bosses. Where they can lay down aoe fire etc, since you can kill them. So your guild leader would be the one on this great big dragon. Whether or not it plays out like that though is another thing.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

"flying" is pretty much just a debug feature. Content development to support it is what would normally take up most of the time, but that's only an issue if you actually need to make content for it.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Each node only opening certain dungeons or whatever seems....like a lot of wasted content unless they're doing regional dungeons and depending on the node which has the needed progress is how you enter or something? I'm fine with that if that changes boss orders and maybe adds another wing or something. Resources spawning down in lower levels of dungeons seems they need to figure out theres at least one spot for rare mats ha. The part where he talked about how boss mobs would drop completed gear but as well as the mats to make the gear, but also that if you die you may drop some mats, makes me wonder if people will just try and gank dudes coming out of dungeons ha.

Also with the siege mechanic how much people will want to just stalemate it or something and no nodes get destroyed from a metropolis down to 0

Also the pre order packs tickle the FOMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SweetBro posted:

A friend of mine has been hyping this game the last two days, Google tells me the head dev worked on EverQuest 2? Is that not right?