Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

what does this even mean

Go ask a cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

quote:

A team of engineering professors from the University of Michigan have created a plasma jet wand that they believe could quickly and easily disinfect hospital rooms. The ion-emitting device looks something like a Ghostbusters’ proton packs, and its plasma beam can destroy bacteria and viruses in just seconds.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Tonk posted:

Go ask a cop.

no i don't think i will

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1254062614948253697?s=19

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

Go ask a cop.

Silg what are you doing? Are you really so dumb or racist you think only homeless people are black?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hes saying you stop being seen as a member of the favored racial group when you are homeless and are seen as non human like other people feel in demon cracker nation all the time

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

how the gently caress did they catch it??

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

what does this even mean

I assume he is referring to selective enforcement of vagrancy laws? Most of those sorts of laws are unenforceable because they are unconstitutionally vague. However, this does not stop police from harassing homeless minorities in greater proportions than homeless whites. Another area where police commonly persecute homeless minorities disproportionately are sex offender/ex felon registration laws. Depending on your jurisdiction, the requirements for homeless people are more stringent and used as a pretext to round up poor people.

I think everybody knows that minorities are at the mercy of racist professionals. A lot of white people treat their patients/clients/tenants of color with substantially less care and sympathy than their white counterparts. You never know if you'll end up in the care of some idiot chud who will neglect certain people in their care.

But I don't have any indication to think any of the doctors or healthcare workers posting here are acting this way; they seem to be consummate professionals.

There is little debate here that institutional racism is real and evil and a synergist to the evil oligarchy that is killing our society and planet. Now let's get back to the Kim death watch!! Hang in there big boy!!

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

magiccarpet posted:

lol wapo did some journalism this morning and interviewed the ghana guys

they seem chill

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Me mum did a painting for her friend in Italy

That's really nice.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

facetoucher cat posted:

I learned something today, I guess I'm slow or there's just so much information to take in. So not all of these labs for both standard covid-19 tests and antibody tests are fda authorized. The fda has a list on their website of what ones are and are not authorized, I dug it up in case anyone is interested

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/emergency-situations-medical-devices/faqs-diagnostic-testing-sars-cov-2

The FDA created a special category for antibody tests so you have both emergent use authorization (which is reviewed by the fda) and pathway d, which enables companies to sell antibody tests with relatively little in formal review. Even for the eua tests there is some apparent difference in accuracy between the tests available, they are still not created equal.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1253978830177480705?s=20
https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1253982363044007937?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

bring back old gbs posted:

how the gently caress did they catch it??

You move slower when you're wearing a backpack stuffed full of ecstacy

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Inceltown posted:

It does my head in that you need something like that. Anyone who tried to sell an unauthorised test would go to prison and / or get massive fines.

the bar is relatively low for antibody tests, but that may be changing as better tests become more prevalent. there’s a regulatory distinction from selling/marketing tests and performing tests. depending on the laboratory licensure they could use whatever test they wanted, whether or not it has been approved by the fda.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

This country is full of creepy loving nihilists

EDIT by which, of course, I mean conservatives

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://mobile.twitter.com/soapiepops/status/1254009534122790912
l m a o

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Tide Pod President? No, I pick Product X President!

Also, turns out it it kills young people too. Just differently:

https://twitter.com/thepacketrat/status/1253858229580435462?s=19

I have a stroke daily and I feel fine

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Real hurthling! posted:

hes saying you stop being seen as a member of the favored racial group when you are homeless and are seen as non human like other people feel in demon cracker nation all the time

bingo. thus the statement about, cops dont shoot people with guns, they only "shoot poor people." is a misgnomer

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lol are you kidding me

cops leave armed right-wing protests alone because they're right-wing, not because they're armed

If left-wing protesters show up with anything resembling a weapon the police dispatch all the APCs they have and call in the national guard for good measure

If history is any guide then they'd just ban open carry, actually. Not a bad result

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol what are they gonna do? go outside to all the closed businesses?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Armadillo Tank posted:

Silg what are you doing? Are you really so dumb or racist you think only homeless people are black?
white people can't be homeless, no.

if a white person ends up homeless they become discarded as "white trash" because there's no way that a real white person could ever fail or need any kind of assistance

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

the gently caress?
https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1254017344000712704

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

cool article id love to be able to read

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I have a stroke daily and I feel fine

quote:

As Oxley, an interventional neurologist, began the procedure to remove the clot, he observed something he had never seen before. On the monitors, the brain typically shows up as a tangle of black squiggles — “like a can of spaghetti,” he said — that provide a map of blood vessels. A clot shows up as a blank spot. As he used a needlelike device to pull out the clot, he saw new clots forming in real-time around it.

“This is crazy,” he remembers telling his boss.

This is nuts.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Armadillo Tank posted:

This isn't hard. Whiteness is a social construct, as is blackness in America. If you become homeless you usually lose your membership in the white club. Or at the very least you lose some benefits. The idea that whiteness is a construct used by the ruling class and does not refer to an actual race or genetics is a basic idea how are yall struggling.

Like what do you think it means to be white? Does it simply refer to northern European ancestry?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

This is nuts.

spiders move quick

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Impkins Patootie posted:

Hah yeah if they really wanted to scare young people they wouldn't put the propaganda behind a wapo paywall

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

This is nuts.

uh oh

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

This isn't hard. Whiteness is a social construct, as is blackness in America. If you become homeless you usually lose your membership in the white club. Or at the very least you lose some benefits. The idea that whiteness is a construct used by the ruling class and does not refer to an actual race or genetics is a basic idea how are yall struggling.

Like what do you think it means to be white? Does it simply refer to northern European ancestry?

Where I live the police seem to shoot as many middle aged homeless men carrying box cutters as they do African American kids carrying fake guns. IMO maybe they shouldn’t shoot so many people.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Imagine being her daughter reading this, and learning from implication that your mom thinks your weak for getting sick from COVID.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I think they get that. Their point was that homeless whites still get better access to services and emergency shelter, and thus could be said to maintain a degree of white privilege.

From a third persons perspective I don't really understand what you all are disagreeing about

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
That scene from boardwalk empire where Steve buscemi is like "then you douche with this like a common whore!" and throws the bottle of Lysol at Margaret

But Trump

Edit: like Trump is nucky and we the people are Margaret

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Broken Machine posted:

Just absolute bonkers insanity
This is some big brain logic to look at the myriad ways systemic racism results in worse medical outcomes for minorities and deduce that hospital quarantine rules are an elaborate smokescreen for medical professionals to murder brown people and that there’s some sort of Klan Illuminati turning southern hospitals into human slaughterhouses.

Mayor Dave posted:

Your reaction is exactly why he told the story, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it was fake
I would not be surprised either but I’m fine if a nice story inspired people to be more generous.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Me mum did a painting for her friend in Italy

Your mum is a lovely painter and this made my day better.

sullat posted:

Otoh, Disney World is also full of face-eating alligators and they didn't care about it for years. Probably still don't, although I bet those alligators are having a good time wandering through tpse empty parks.
People say the reason there are gators in Disney is because they don’t care but the actual reason there are so many gators in Disney is because Disney is in Florida.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

it's okay i don't use most of my brain. i barely use it at all actually, mainly the ancient reptilian portion

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

lol that notions like "bootstraps" it is now code for nihilism and suicide

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sometimes i think I'm having a stroke, but then i go lol no I'm just dumb

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Son of Man posted:

I think they get that. Their point was that homeless whites still get better access to services and emergency shelter, and thus could be said to maintain a degree of white privilege.

From a third persons perspective I don't really understand what you all are disagreeing about

Maybe this is true to some degree, probably. But the homeless are already essentially dehumanized so I wonder how significant the effect is. I mean when people talk about vermin and filth and etc they don’t seem to be making any color distinctions. Where I live we’ve had a couple high profile events where local business owners shot homeless people for various reasons. The business owners get widespread outpourings of support even when the business person isn’t white and the homeless person is. I live in a supposedly very blue and progressive place so yeah.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Dolphin posted:

it's okay i don't use most of my brain. i barely use it at all actually, mainly the ancient reptilian portion

Mr. President you should read your briefings more carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Impkins Patootie posted:

tldr people in their 30s and 40s are having strokes