Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I decide who I eat based on who is a jackass.

quoted without context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

I mean we are talking burrito elitism so why not steak elitism. :shrug:

al pastor > carnitas > steak burrito

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Spitroasted al-pastor is godly. Couple it with proper caramelized onions and it's good gravy.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

FilthyImp posted:

Spitroasted al-pastor is godly. Couple it with proper caramelized onions and it's good gravy.

You forgot the pineapple

And the carnitas need to be crisped up, gently caress that braised-only bullshit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

Is this where we find out that peak burrito is Taco John's Meat and Potato burrito?

There are no Taco John’s in California.

Where are you REALLY from Mr. Pancakes?

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
Extra rice in a burrito is good if the rice is good (speaking as a HellaNorCalian).

Fries in a burrito is good if the fries are good.

I don't care for beans in a burrito but that's my own weird thing.

Ketchup in a burrito is nonsense. Why would you ruin an innocent burrito????

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Most places have dry rear end flavorless meat and it loving pisses me off. The best place had a carne asada burrito with juicy meat, guac, chunky salsa, and white cheese. poo poo was drippy. The beans and rice were seperate on a plate. Black rear end sticky beans that had to be cooked in lard, they looked like refried beans but we're black, and they were loving heaven. The old man died and it was replaced by a lovely Mexican resteraunt that got more business somehow even though they use cheese sauce instead of real cheese on their nachos. Gross sloppy mess.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Also I guess beaches are opening? My co worker is all "I'm going to the beach and all I care about is the drinks"

This is why this poo poo is going to draaaaggg on forever and why I still can't see friends and family. Good job dude. Also I'm the only one that wears a mask, but I guess that's par for the course in a chudville industry.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HelloSailorSign posted:

I decide who I eat based on who is a jackass.

Not an actual jackass, they're adorable.

But chickens and pigs are assholes, I'll eat them. I'm less keen to eat cow, though my upbringing still has me craving its flesh.

Domestic turkeys are dumb af, I don't feel bad putting them out of their misery.

Fish are also bastards.

Octopi are cool af though, I don't like eating them at all.

how the gently caress do you rate chickens as assholes and not octopi

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

While we're talking about gross AF burritos, I really like the breakfast burrito with gravy and hashbrowns from carls jr.

e: Is there any place I can get a poutine burrito?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Probably got attacked by a rooster when they were a kid. Have you been attacked by one before? Roosters can be pretty mean. I always confuse them by drawing a circle in the air with my finger and watch them try and track it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
To cut away from burritos, I'm just going to the hardware store to pick up some necessary supplies, and I passed by a golf course. Literally hundreds of people there and not a single mask.
Ventura County has done alright with this, but like, how?? People don't give a fuuuuuck about this

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

To cut away from burritos, I'm just going to the hardware store to pick up some necessary supplies, and I passed by a golf course. Literally hundreds of people there and not a single mask.
Ventura County has done alright with this, but like, how?? People don't give a fuuuuuck about this

I mean, it's pretty easy to maintain social distancing during golf, you are outside, and if the clubs and balls are disinfected you're not really touching a lot of stuff that's potentially infected. Golf is probably a fairly safe activity at the moment, with or without a mask.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm guessing if someone is golfing they have enough money for treatment

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Octopi are wickedly intelligent and more of a trickster while chickens are (mostly) just dumb assholes.

You see the ones with massive feathery heads and or legs? Yeah, they’re judging you harshly and want to eat you.

Gotta eat em first before they eat you.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Ridiculous, I’ve never once been eaten by a chicken

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BeAuMaN posted:

Probably got attacked by a rooster when they were a kid. Have you been attacked by one before? Roosters can be pretty mean. I always confuse them by drawing a circle in the air with my finger and watch them try and track it.

Roosters are different. Pretty sure you're not eating much rooster when you eat chicken. You're eating hens, which are kind and good pets.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Octopi are wickedly intelligent and more of a trickster while chickens are (mostly) just dumb assholes.

You see the ones with massive feathery heads and or legs? Yeah, they’re judging you harshly and want to eat you.

Gotta eat em first before they eat you.

They're literally dinosaurs, so this is probably pretty accurate.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Roosters are different. Pretty sure you're not eating much rooster when you eat chicken. You're eating hens, which are kind and good pets.

Nah, it’s only the egg laying industry that murders all the male chicks, meat chickens are definitely both roosters and hens. The egg industry is extra super bad so we raise our own eggs. When you let roosters get too old they fight, which is why meat chickens are raised to grow rapidly to cull weight so they don’t start displaying dumb aggressive behavior before we eat them.

This is why when you’re eating from a whole roasted chicken you sometimes find and eat the delicious testicles in addition to the kidneys.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Yeah my brother has chickens on his farm and one of the males got a little too old, tasted different/strong and was tougher. Definitely going to stew the next one. He was planning on raising beef cattle after putting in the fencing but I talked him into pigs because they're so much better for the environment. Turns out you can do amazing things rotating pigs around your farm and growing squash on a patch after they moved on.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Also I guess beaches are opening? My co worker is all "I'm going to the beach and all I care about is the drinks"

Currently posting from the beach in Capitola and it’s open as poo poo. I have never seen more people in the lineup for almost zero waves.

The real pain in the rear end is the city owned parking lots are closed and they’ve limited street parking to one hour and the police are out chalking tires to aggressively enforce it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The best meat in socal is the pre-marinated stuff from Stater Bros. They also can get pretty wild cuts at good prices. Best fuckin' butcher in SoCal even if I dislike literally everything else about their stores.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The best meat in socal is the pre-marinated stuff from Stater Bros. They also can get pretty wild cuts at good prices. Best fuckin' butcher in SoCal even if I dislike literally everything else about their stores.

I like their stores, they're a big presence in the IE and headquartered in San Bernardino.

I like the fact they're one the last stores without the "club card" nonsense.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Currently posting from the beach in Capitola and it’s open as poo poo. I have never seen more people in the lineup for almost zero waves.

The real pain in the rear end is the city owned parking lots are closed and they’ve limited street parking to one hour and the police are out chalking tires to aggressively enforce it.

Chalking tires is apparently considered unconstitutional in some states:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3549631002

quote:

Taylor's lawyer argued that the city's physical marking with chalk, done to note how long a vehicle is parked, amounted to searching without a warrant — a violation of the Fourth Amendment. The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel unanimously agreed.

The city "commences its search on vehicles that are parked legally, without probable cause or even so much as 'individualized suspicion of wrongdoing' — the touchstone of the reasonableness standard," the court's opinion states.

The Fourth Amendment protects against "unreasonable searches and seizures." And the city's chalking of cars "to raise revenue" does not qualify as a public safety concern that could allow a search without a warrant, the court said.

The court's decision affects Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 24, 2020

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Today I made a quesadilla with a layer of fried hash browns, a layer of cheese, and a layer of scrambled eggs

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

IN THE HEARTLAAAAAND

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pomp posted:

Today I made a quesadilla with a layer of fried hash browns, a layer of cheese, and a layer of scrambled eggs

I'm not in favor potato in burritos, breakfast or otherwise (they're a plot to deprive you of scrambled eggs). If you need to work french fries into Mexican food, go for french fry nachos. You want a chipotle ketchup, or otherwise non-plain ketchup (all of Annie's condiments are awesome), to not clash with the Mexican flavors, but carnitas french fry nachos are awesome.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love potatoes

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

droll posted:

Yeah my brother has chickens on his farm and one of the males got a little too old, tasted different/strong and was tougher. Definitely going to stew the next one. He was planning on raising beef cattle after putting in the fencing but I talked him into pigs because they're so much better for the environment. Turns out you can do amazing things rotating pigs around your farm and growing squash on a patch after they moved on.

Crop rotation strategies that involves shifting pigs and/or chickens onto fields after harvesting is an excellent thing from having the animals do more normal animal stuff, decrease animal specific feedstuff needs, and doing good things for the soil.

We use our birds as weed control in the yard. We have quail, as it’s not a big yard and we’d want chickens to have buddies (which would be too many eggs for us to use). Quail in contrast can have more birds (so more a flock) with less egg weight produced and the males don’t make obnoxious noise.

The males can be assholes to the hens sometimes, so we’ve eaten one misbehaving male and need to get another to introduce.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Rah! posted:

lol it's because the full name is "highway 1" or "interstate 280" or whatever. So you just shorten it to the number.

SF residents do their own "the" thing with neighborhoods though, where we chop the word "district" off of the end of the name. So instead of "the Mission District", or "the Richmond District", we usually say "the mission" or "the richmond", etc.

It has to be shortene,d so it can be said quickly and accurately. There are no in-jokes or local culture; Too many people, too much constant change.

The rest of the world (and SF) don't move or commute that much. In LA, everything that people enjoy is at least 10 minutes away by car. Like even burger chains. Nobody wants to go to the closest burger chain to eat for one reason or another, so they will go to the exact same burger chain but further away. There is no local culture. If it is in walking distances, it sucks. Your school sucks. Your local mall sucks. Your local Target/Walmart sucks. Your local friends suck. You either live with your friends or you live within one driving hour away.

The words 'interstate' and 'highway,' don't exist. I get it those words have meaning, and people use them and care about those differences. They are useless here. Only transplants and transplant's kids use them. There are only streets and freeways in Los Angeles. The only real difference is how fast you 'could possibly' go on that type of road.

"I'm going down the 101."
"101 what?"
"The 101 Freeway."

"here we coooooooome."

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Chalking tires is apparently considered unconstitutional in some states:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3549631002

Also rich fuckers lost their poo poo over someone touching their tesla

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

It has to be shortene,d so it can be said quickly and accurately. There are no in-jokes or local culture; Too many people, too much constant change.

The rest of the world (and SF) don't move or commute that much. In LA, everything that people enjoy is at least 10 minutes away by car. Like even burger chains. Nobody wants to go to the closest burger chain to eat for one reason or another, so they will go to the exact same burger chain but further away. There is no local culture. If it is in walking distances, it sucks. Your school sucks. Your local mall sucks. Your local Target/Walmart sucks. Your local friends suck. You either live with your friends or you live within one driving hour away.

The words 'interstate' and 'highway,' don't exist. I get it those words have meaning, and people use them and care about those differences. They are useless here. Only transplants and transplant's kids use them. There are only streets and freeways in Los Angeles. The only real difference is how fast you 'could possibly' go on that type of road.

"I'm going down the 101."
"101 what?"
"The 101 Freeway."

"here we coooooooome."

people here don't say interstate or highway either, usually

that was my point lol, that they shorten a longer name down so that it's just the number

people in LA also shorten it, but in a different way. Maybe back in the day there were more highways in So Cal that were referred to by a name rather than a number ("Interstate 69" vs "the john johnny freeway"), and things went from there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Has no one brought up the fact that, uh, they do have names? All the freeways in LA have names. And for decades, that's how they were referred to. I remember the signs changing from prominently displaying "The Golden State Freeway" to mainly showing the I-5 sign.
There's still some signs with the names on them. The Golden State Freeway, The Harbor Freeway, The San Diego Freeway, The Foothill Freeway.

So we were already calling them "the ___", it's just that the nomenclature has changed. I still use the names sometimes too, mainly with family.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Has no one brought up the fact that, uh, they do have names? All the freeways in LA have names. And for decades, that's how they were referred to. I remember the signs changing from prominently displaying "The Golden State Freeway" to mainly showing the I-5 sign.
There's still some signs with the names on them. The Golden State Freeway, The Harbor Freeway, The San Diego Freeway, The Foothill Freeway.

So we were already calling them "the ___", it's just that the nomenclature has changed. I still use the names sometimes too, mainly with family.

a little late to the party, amigo :smug:

Rainbow Knight posted:

Don't know why you guys don't call the freeways by their full names

The San Diego freeway

The riverside freeway

The Costa mesa freeway

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The dead cop celebratory causeway.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

jetz0r posted:

The dead cop celebratory causeway.

I see someone takes the AV Freeway.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't think I've ever dropped the ”the” from the freeway number.

The 405
The I-5
The 605

What gets dropped is the ”I” if there is more than one syllable.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

How has no one brought up the fugliness of highway intersections where # and name swap randomly. Take the Hollywood and Ventura interchange. Please. Describe it for a traveling visitor. You may use the numbers 101, 134, and 170. Make sure to call out which specific directions cannot be followed at this juncture. Do not use phrases such as non-euclidean, or wrong-way concurrence.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

HelloSailorSign posted:

Crop rotation strategies that involves shifting pigs and/or chickens onto fields after harvesting is an excellent thing from having the animals do more normal animal stuff, decrease animal specific feedstuff needs, and doing good things for the soil.

Yup! He's got his chickens in a portable coop that he tows around the field with his tractor. Apparently pigs will dig out the roots and stuff which you would have to pull up yourself otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Xlorp posted:

How has no one brought up the fugliness of highway intersections where # and name swap randomly. Take the Hollywood and Ventura interchange. Please. Describe it for a traveling visitor. You may use the numbers 101, 134, and 170. Make sure to call out which specific directions cannot be followed at this juncture. Do not use phrases such as non-euclidean, or wrong-way concurrence.

"Good luck, comrade."