Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

What I don't understand is how there's any sector 7 slum left at all. Like did the plate now fall only partially? From the top you can see part in the back that's sloped down. Like maybe the recognizable slum is under there.

In the original it's just loving gone. But here landmarks still exist and an underground lab held up to a city dropping on it.

E: what a terrible pedantic post for a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Can't put too much space between the cheese and the sauce.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Motto posted:

Can't put too much space between the cheese and the sauce.

I mean Jessie did become her own Midgar Special

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Could have meant the distance between the ground and the bottom of the plate

I'm not convinced Midgar's engineering makes real world sense no matter how you fill in the numbers.

I mean poo poo the Shinra Building looks like this overwhelming mountain of corporate hubris dwarfing the rest of the city and it's just 70 stories. Which is big sure but not preposterously so, and the floors aren't near as sprawling you'd think either the Drum's nonsense notwithstanding.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

After going through the last chapter again, I have to say that I'm no longer really convinced the whispers are intended as some kind of meta-antagonist representing the fans.

My opinion is Sephiroth is a timeless being now (similar to the Whispers) and the weird deviations is Seph from Advent Children manipulating events to unfold differently. Hell in the beginning when he manipulates Cloud into hallucinating a burning Nibelheim, he's trying to change the timing so Cloud won't meet Aerith. The Whispers course correct.

Sephiroth/Jenova are diseases and the Whispers are the T-Cells of the planet/Lifestream.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Not to derail this discussion of character strengths and flaws or anything but I've just come to an important realization...Reno most definitely dyes his hair. And in a world of backflips, surviving improbable falls and motorcycle battles I guess it just tickles me that hair that red is in fact unrealistic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

J Detan posted:

Hey, that gun was gold, clearly that means it's a one hit kill.

Yeah this is canon now

That golden gun's gonna be Vincent's ultimate weapon in part 3

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was more curious if that one very old picture in the museum was meant to indicate Shinra from FFX-2 *was* in fact President Shinra. Didn't think so at first, until I realized literally every other thing in that museum is a monument to Prez Shinra's life. Somehow it doesn't make much sense to go "And also here's a picture of my grandfather"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wish they had kept Shinra's death closer to what it was in the original game where you find him already dead. The way it happens now, so many things happen at once(he gets stabbed, Barret gets stabbed, Jenova fight happens, Barret gets healed, Sephiroth escapes with Jenova, Rufus shows up) that none of the characters have a chance to really react to his death at all.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just beat this, what do you guys make of the scene where Aerith mind melds with Marlene then does the "my lips are sealed" thing?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rhonne posted:

I wish they had kept Shinra's death closer to what it was in the original game where you find him already dead. The way it happens now, so many things happen at once(he gets stabbed, Barret gets stabbed, Jenova fight happens, Barret gets healed, Sephiroth escapes with Jenova, Rufus shows up) that none of the characters have a chance to really react to his death at all.

Yeah all we really get out of the change is Tifa going "Barret you can't kill the president, that's evil" which :rolleyes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Should have sent Antifa.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

guts and bolts posted:

Here are some fun Cloud facts for everyone while we wait for Final Fantasy VII Revengeance or for the world to end, whichever comes first!

• The Motonox Gust may not have an exact 1:1 equivalent to real-world bikes, but it looks pretty close to a Suzuki Gixxer SF 150 to me, and that bike has a top speed of one hundred thirty-one (131) kilometers per hour, or eighty-one (81) miles per hour. Roche's bike of indeterminate name can be safely assumed to have an even higher throughput as it vastly outperforms the Motonox Gust during the chase sequence in Chapter 4. This means that Cloud leaps from the seat of a bike traveling one hundred thirty-one (131) kilometers per hour (or something close to it!) onto a bike that is likely traveling even faster, successfully sticks the landing, leaps off of that bike to execute a front-flipping sword attack, and then jumps from the now-crippled Rochemachine back onto the original motorcycle with very little expended effort! Wow!
  • Midgar's plates are stated to be three hundred (300) meters above the ground, or a little under nine hundred eighty-five (985) feet. Being generous and factoring in Cloud's grapnel gun having fifty (50) feet of slack wire to help brake his fall, that means Cloud falls just about 75% of the height of the Empire State Building before impacting the roof of the church in the Sector 5 slums and surviving. Unrealistic, you say? It takes almost twelve seconds of freefall for a human being to reach terminal velocity, from an average height of four hundred fifty (450) meters. He would hit the roof at a mere estimated one hundred fifteen (115) kilometers per hour, or a little over seventy-one (71) miles per hour. That's practically the speed limit most places! No problem!
  • Cloud gets into several fights with helicopters at various points in the story, and they look to be loosely modeled on the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk, which could mount a GAU-19/A heavy machine gun that fired .50 BMG cartridges at a rate of up to two thousand (2000) rounds per minute. He wins a couple of these fights!
  • no but seriously the ending to FF7R is just super unrealistic, like, the party's power level just doesn't make any sense. like now Cloud is jumping on flying debris and slicing through stuff and it's just ridiculous and over the top and it's Advent Children and NOMURAAAAA!! 0/10 game, please refund

(sorry for this terrible set up for that terrible joke I'm just very tired and I've had to listen to an hour of my good friend complain about FF7R's ending and how the party is unrealistically powerful or whatever.)

This made me remember that there was an American bomber pilot in WW2 who got thrown out of his aircraft, fell 4 miles through the air, landed on the glass ceiling of a train station, and survived.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Rhonne posted:

yeah we don't really need to be told again that President Shinra is a bad guy, and finding him impaled kinda amps the tension of what the hell is going on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

well that explains a lot, this really is Advent Children 2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The way Sephiroth is handled is the worst part of a great game.

I probably would have kept the parts where Zack is talking to Cloud instead of having them all whole-sale replaced by Seph hallucinations. Keep the hallucinations that happen when Cloud meets the clones, but don't show Seph's face--use weird camera angles to never give us a good look at him. Have us walk through the door as Seph is stabbing the president. Keep Jenova Dreamweaver and the bit where a second Seph clone take's Jenova's body as the first one dies. Then absolutely do not have a one-winged Advent Children Sephiroth as the final boss c'mon

e: oh and dont show us him stealing jenova either

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 25, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fadam posted:

Just beat this, what do you guys make of the scene where Aerith mind melds with Marlene then does the "my lips are sealed" thing?

Marlene is also an Ancient.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Cloud is going to use a different version of Omnislash in every game every time he's fighting Sephiroth, and Sephiroth is going to block all of them, up until the last Omnislash is just the original one and it actually connects.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did it bug anyone else that Tifa doesn't acknowledge the presence of Sephiroth in the finale once? The game goes as far as showing the flashback of cowboy hat Tifa taking her shot at him in Nibelheim, but she's completely mute about him in the present day. Tifa and Barret seem like they're just along for the ride in general once the Whispers setpiece starts, the two of them don't even have an inkling about why they'd want to change fate but they go along with it without comment because ???

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fadam posted:

Marlene's an Ancient. I think there were some theories about that in the original based on hints I never picked up on but this remake provides a ton of evidence, especially like how she can feel Barret calling out for her in the ending.

multijoe posted:

Did it bug anyone else that Tifa doesn't acknowledge the presence of Sephiroth in the finale once? The game goes as far as showing the flashback of cowboy hat Tifa taking her shot at him in Nibelheim, but she's completely mute about him in the present day. Tifa and Barret seem like they're just along for the ride in general once the Whispers setpiece starts, the two of them don't even have an inkling about why they'd want to change fate but they go along with it without comment because ???

Yeah it sorta felt like the characters just... stopped being people in the ending and started just being Video Game Party Members. Like we just took a temporary break from the story being real to do some extradimensional that was fake and didn't count? Then it's over and they're standing outside Midgar and they're themselves again. The only real exceptions to this were Aerith's "Yeah? So what? Screw him" and Barret's monologue before stepping through the portal.

I don't mean that to sound all that dismissive since I'm actually down with the Whispers and defeating them and the story changing going forward. I'm also happy to handwave the crazy anime physics as "they were in a weird extradimensional singularity space." But man it just really felt like the characters should've had more to say about anything that was going on either during it or after it like, y'know, Sephiroth being there apparently in the flesh.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 25, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
you have to hand it to them for doing a faithful recreation of whatever the gently caress outfit Tifa is wearing during the Kalm flashback (working at a country bar maybe?)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They were never going to go an entire game without showing Sephiroth on screen, but also the player doesn't know Tifa has a beef with him until just after Midgar. It's a conundrum that they solved by just hoping nobody would notice

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

They were never going to go an entire game without showing Sephiroth on screen, but also the player doesn't know Tifa has a beef with him until just after Midgar. It's a conundrum that they solved by just hoping nobody would notice

I mean, they do show us brief flashbacks of Tifa denouncing SOLDIER crying over a man's body (I don't think we know it's her father yet at this point), then picking up a sword that is definitely Sephiroth's. She probably should've at least reacted, even if it was just one line or a single shot of her eyes going wide while she says "Sephiroth!?" in disbelief and fear, really just anything.

It's clear that a lot of the times we see Sephiroth, it's only Cloud who sees him--everyone else either sees nothing, or one of the Sephiroth clones like Marco. But in the ending, at least, everyone definitely knows it's him, since Barret acknowledges after the fight that he thought Cloud had just beaten Sephiroth.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Aerith has more of a reaction to Sephiroth than Tifa does (which is understandable, of course!)

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Harrow posted:

Marlene's an Ancient. I think there were some theories about that in the original based on hints I never picked up on but this remake provides a ton of evidence, especially like how she can feel Barret calling out for her in the ending.

Yeah it sorta felt like the characters just... stopped being people in the ending and started just being Video Game Party Members. Like we just took a temporary break from the story being real to do some extradimensional that was fake and didn't count? Then it's over and they're standing outside Midgar and they're themselves again. The only real exceptions to this were Aerith's "Yeah? So what? Screw him" and Barret's monologue before stepping through the portal.

I don't mean that to sound all that dismissive since I'm actually down with the Whispers and defeating them and the story changing going forward. I'm also happy to handwave the crazy anime physics as "they were in a weird extradimensional singularity space." But man it just really felt like the characters should've had more to say about anything that was going on either during it or after it like, y'know, Sephiroth being there apparently in the flesh.

Is there a theory like that about Marlene? I...guess I could see where they're coming for with her mom and that scene at the end. That seems like a stretch, though. I'm trying to think how that would work thematically even.

I guess it would be funny?

Tifa not reacting at the end was weird. Maybe we'll get that at the start.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean Tifa is absolutely the queen of denying that there's a problem until her boyfriend helps drop a giant rock on the planet because of it, so it fits

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It made sense in the original because Tifa never emotes. She's seriously a complete blank slate in the original script; my replay is up to Cosmo Canyon and I couldn't tell you the first thing about her

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean I can definitely see Tifa being a big ball of denial and anxiety who totally enables Cloud to continue balancing on the edge of insanity. She’s probably not far off from a mental break herself - I wonder if there’s some repressed memory stuff going on with her in the remake.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I mean I can definitely see Tifa being a big ball of denial and anxiety who totally enables Cloud to continue balancing on the edge of insanity. She’s probably not far off from a mental break herself - I wonder if there’s some repressed memory stuff going on with her in the remake.

you can practically hear tifa stifling her nervous chuckle every time cloud mentions his SOLDIER "background" in the remake

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

you can practically hear tifa stifling her nervous chuckle every time cloud mentions his SOLDIER "background" in the remake

I really like this FF7/R animation style analysis, mainly for the point that any Remake version of the Kalm scene where Cloud tells his backstory will have killer reaction shots of Tifa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoA2B4lb_ro

Unfortunately he was also looking forward to the Shinra prison scene as a great remake performance showcase and welp

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

That would actually be a noticeable change; in the original iirc Cloud hid himself under his helmet and never revealed himself to Tifa while in Nibelheim, out of embarrassment. Tifa didn't know he didn't make SOLDIER. She questions his story in the flashback because he knows details only someone who was there could know but all she remembers is Sephiroth and two nameless grunts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

That would actually be a noticeable change; in the original iirc Cloud hid himself under his helmet and never revealed himself to Tifa while in Nibelheim, out of embarrassment. Tifa didn't know he didn't make SOLDIER. She questions his story in the flashback because he knows details only someone who was there could know but all she remembers is Sephiroth and two nameless grunts.

tifa saw cloud unmasked after her failed attack on sephiroth, but she'd also been nearly bisected then

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Oxxidation posted:

tifa saw cloud unmasked after her failed attack on sephiroth, but she'd also been nearly bisected then

She sees it but she doesn't remember it - or if she does, it's only asba fever dream. She's surprised by the revelation that he's the grunt who took real good care of her.

cheetah7071 posted:

It made sense in the original because Tifa never emotes. She's seriously a complete blank slate in the original script; my replay is up to Cosmo Canyon and I couldn't tell you the first thing about her

Try talking to her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tifa has no clue Cloud was there 5 years ago because right at the start of this game when he mentions its been 5 years since they last saw each other she gets really concerned and then pointedly never brings up the subject again. It's great because when you're chasing cats with her or whatever she begins to talk about how she came to Midgar 5 years ago only to immediately change the subject because the whole thing worries her and her solution is to just completely ignore it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I was going to play Hard, loaded up my data and discovered that it hadn't saved me beating the game or something because I couldn't select hard, so I sighed and drew my buster sword and for whatever reason I didn't dislike the ending this much time around.

Also just noticed that Cloud can't see the canon ghosts until Aerith touches him so that's a neat touch (sorry) that I hadn't picked up on the first time. And early game Seph drops some clues about him being from the future or whatever.

On the subject of animation I like how they made Hojo's mouth move in a weird way compared to the other characters, makes him that much more unsettling.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 25, 2020

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's great because when you're chasing cats with her or whatever she begins to talk about how she came to Midgar 5 years ago only to immediately change the subject because the whole thing worries her and her solution is to just completely ignore it.

Ignoring a problem and hoping it goes away only for it to get worse and worse is quite possibly the most relatable thing a fictional character can do

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah it's why Tifa rules.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 25, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I mean, they do show us brief flashbacks of Tifa denouncing SOLDIER crying over a man's body (I don't think we know it's her father yet at this point), then picking up a sword that is definitely Sephiroth's. She probably should've at least reacted, even if it was just one line or a single shot of her eyes going wide while she says "Sephiroth!?" in disbelief and fear, really just anything.

Why did Sephiroth just leave his sword behind back then?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Tifa is one of the best written characters in a video game and people who write her off as the tiddy alternative to Aeris deserve to be thrown into a volcano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rhonne posted:

Why did Sephiroth just leave his sword behind back then?

he needed both hands to rip out the jenova status