Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can smash out a set of orders or a voucher in 10 minutes flat on both old and new DTS and they won’t get returned

Never could figure out the guys who’d let a thousand dollars in per diem just sit there unclaimed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Deathy McDeath posted:

This is hilarious if for nothing other than this is a lot of old MARSOC. Footage

Good song tho

>recognizing MARSOC/force footage

Gonna shoot myself in the head now

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There are also :3: videos of NK refugees eating American food on Youtube that are pretty entertaining and enlightening.

American BBQ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TYCEXmi90

Oh man, the look on their faces when they bring the second tray out with like half a cow's worth of beef ribs is amazing.

Fallom posted:

I can smash out a set of orders or a voucher in 10 minutes flat on both old and new DTS and they won’t get returned

Never could figure out the guys who’d let a thousand dollars in per diem just sit there unclaimed

Yeah, DTS is generally fine for like 98% of travel cases. The only times I've had difficulty is stuff like combining travel with leave or going TAD while already on a different TAD. I'd have to imagine the service academies have that poo poo automated and streamlined to a high degree by now.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

DTS is the mediocre-to-nonfunctional travel software that some branches of the US military use.

So, according to my dad, back in the late 70s you just brought in your receipts and were paid in cash. When I first got in, you sat down with an admin SGT, filled out a travel voucher, gave him your receipts, and got paid within the next month.

Now, with the advent of computers and DTS, I can get paid in a matter of months after checking my voucher dailer and making weekly calls to the help desk.

So much better.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I understand that mileage varies, but I have had a major delay in DTS which wasn't my fault maybe once? And it was some rear end in a top hat retired Navy guy turned GS employee being a total dickhole until our deputy commander called him and lost his poo poo with him.

Usually 3-10 days to get paid?

I've had more DTS angst when it comes to explaining to some pre-travel checker peon that there is a very, very good reason why we didn't choose a particular hotel or car or flight or whatever when it's the flight location that is $2 cheaper, but it gets cancelled 50% of the time due to weather or whatever. Or why flying out of the bigger airport an hour down the road is better than flying out of the 2 whole flights per day from the micro-airport near some travel location.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

Apparently Hong Kong TV news is reporting KJU is dead. No other confirmation at this point.

Un Dead, Un Dead, Un Dead.

The prison guards have left the watchtower.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

*quickly reads the headline* Kim Jong-undead :zpatriot:

Leavemywife posted:

What must it be like for someone who escapes NK and sees how the world works outside of that batshit insane dictatorship?

I've unironically heard some of them get themselves smuggled back in, but then I guess there are stupid people everywhere.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
DTS is solid until:

- They push an update that changes where everything is located (this happens roughly quarterly)
- You complete your document and it stalls at CTO BOOKED because the system randomly poo poo itself and CTO didn't actually get it
- Your funding office fails to actually fund the drat thing until about 3 days before you hit the plane (which means on Friday, you're scrambling for someone, anyone loving working to hit a loving button)
- Receipt policy changes (this happens roughly quarterly)

So DTS is solid like a good bowel movement.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Receipt policy is often local dumbassery not DTS.

I forgot the biggest actual DTS frustration: Bookings on/around fiscal years. Fuuuuuck figure it out bean counters.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

I forgot the biggest actual DTS frustration: Bookings on/around fiscal years. Fuuuuuck figure it out bean counters.

Anyone who wants to attack us should do it in the first week of October because the entire military is non-functional then.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Current event - the beach by my house has finally been closed to all non exercise activity. It is the most crowded I've ever seen it, to include a college age house party of about 18 persons.

We are going to be staying home until fall. Not those morons, though, way to be free.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

When she tries beef brisket, 9:20, her reaction made me a little melty. There's nothing like food joy. Everyone feels the same elation when they try something that's absolutely delicious for the first time, regardless what their personal tastes are. :shobon:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Just gotta say the only problems I've ever really seen with DTS is your admin being worthless. "Sorry we can't actually get full per diem because then I'd have to ask the skipper to talk to the guy who probably eats lunch with to get it approved. Im totally gonna get an award for making the skipper have a shared bathroom at NGIS."

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

stevobob posted:

When she tries beef brisket, 9:20, her reaction made me a little melty. There's nothing like food joy. Everyone feels the same elation when they try something that's absolutely delicious for the first time, regardless what their personal tastes are. :shobon:

I hadn't seen these yet :3 but from the screenshots it looks like some of the same folks from the Asian Boss interviews (which makes sense, it's the same presenter). The one on how North Koreans view America is a really good one.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Buttcoin purse posted:

I've unironically heard some of them get themselves smuggled back in, but then I guess there are stupid people everywhere.

it's not their fault. it's institutionalization. it's a big problem with prisons as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Air Wing Fallon starts mid to late September, every year, and is a tremendous pain in the rear end for dozens, if not hundreds of people. Will it ever change? No, because Top Gun doesn't want to shift a week.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
air wing fallon joining jimmy fallon in proving that fallons just loving suck.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Fallon has sucked for 150 years.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I hope Fauci sees this thing sometime because Brad Pitt has him so loving nailed and he deserves his family laughing with him.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1254257688050954240

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Buttcoin purse posted:

*quickly reads the headline* Kim Jong-undead :zpatriot:

It's a cult of personality. In the same way Steve Jobs got people to work for nothing and spend all their time at work, I would imagine that communists leaders did something similar. Working towards a common goal feels good. It's the fundamental difference between east and west thinking in the Cold War.

I would also highly recommend The Americans. It's about the KGB and why blue jeans and Ronald Regan being absolutely willing to end life on earth 'won' the Cold War.

Poor Outlook fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 26, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Ah yes, Steve Jobs and his notorious exiling your family to a labor camp or straight up executing you policies

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

maffew buildings posted:

Ah yes, Steve Jobs and his notorious exiling your family to a labor camp or straight up executing you policies

True, because he's based in California. If he grew up in Russia he would be different.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

facialimpediment posted:

I hope Fauci sees this thing sometime because Brad Pitt has him so loving nailed and he deserves his family laughing with him.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1254257688050954240

This is hilarious. And a touch horrifying.

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Poor Outlook posted:

It's a cult of personality. In the same way Steve Jobs got people to work for nothing and spend all their time at work, I would imagine that communists leaders did something similar. Working towards a common goal feels good. It's the fundamental difference between east and west thinking in the Cold War.

I would also highly recommend The Americans (the show on FX). It's about the KGB and why blue jeans and Ronald Regan being absolutely willing to end life on earth 'won' the Cold War.

Edit is not quote, sorry

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Why are you imagining what Communist leaders did, there's literally history books about it. I'm sorry, I'm trying to come up with a measured response as to why your Apple to Soviet Russia models for increased productivity similarities take is wrong and bad, but dude, what the gently caress? Yeah maybe when the whole thing catalyzes they have a charismatic leader and shared vision, but Bill didn't do 18 hours days under threat of his family going away forever.

On topic re NK, yeah, institutionalization is a hell of a thing. Most of us sure as gently caress know that one, they just take it to a whole other insane level.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 26, 2020

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The only person Steve Jobs executed was himself

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

maffew buildings posted:

Why are you imagining what Communist leaders did, there's literally history books about it. I'm sorry, I'm trying to come up with a measured response as to why your Apple to Soviet Russia models for increased productivity similarities take is insanely wrong and bad, but dude, what the gently caress? Yeah maybe when the whole thing catalyzes they have a charismatic leader and shared vision, but Bill didn't do 18 hours days under threat of his family going away forever.

Bill Gates? Bill gates was probably a nerd who wanted revenge on the bullies. Wasn't he notoriously 'mean' or what they call today as patent trolling to his competitors? Also wasn't the whole internet a DARPA project in the first place? So credit where credit is due lol.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Which iPhone was Stalin responsible for

Just wanna make sure I’m tracking

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dropping an iPhone prototype in a fish tank is like executing your uncle with an AA gun because

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

bloops posted:

Stalin tortured animals as a kid. He was the meanest so when the Red Army won, he took power. Realpoltik-- The Weak suffer the strong and the strong do what they will.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

maffew buildings posted:

Just chinese iphone assemblers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Dropping an iPhone prototype in a fish tank is like executing your uncle with an AA gun because

So what was Daniel Tosh bashing an ipad with a golf club equivalent to?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The only person Steve Jobs has ever executed was himself.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So what was Daniel Tosh bashing an ipad with a golf club equivalent to?

Every other unfunny thing he has ever done.

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Every other unfunny thing he has ever done.

He had a joke about Gadaffi, which I wasn't wild about. Like, yeah Libya seems so much better now. Ironically his best joke was the whole "I'm an American I don't speak your language" thing. Like yeah, you don't.

gently caress. How's that for cryptic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

bloops posted:

well they named the iSPhone-2 and 3 after him, though the iSPhone-3 came out too late to see combat against the Microsoft PanZunes or Windowstigers.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Poor Outlook posted:

Bill Gates? Bill gates was probably a nerd who wanted revenge on the bullies. Wasn't he notoriously 'mean' or what they call today as patent trolling to his competitors? Also wasn't the whole internet a DARPA project in the first place? So credit where credit is due lol.

Bill Gates is known for writing a dumb huffy letter about everyone pirating BASIC (which he had just repackaged from work done at Dartmouth) and for invoking a line of the contract he wrote with Ed Roberts (that Ed Roberts never read) about promoting BASIC to take control of Microsoft. And for investing in patent trolling companies despite claiming in 1991 that technology patents are bad for the industry--which you can either take as hypocrisy or due warning that the American people and Congress refused to act on.

I don't really know what you're getting at with the internet-ARPANET reference relating to maffew's point that your comparison of tech company COs to atrocities committed by communist dictatorships might not be on the level.

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

piL posted:

Bill Gates is known for writing a dumb huffy letter about everyone pirating BASIC (which he had just repackaged from work done at Dartmouth) and for invoking a line of the contract he wrote with Ed Roberts (that Ed Roberts never read) about promoting BASIC to take control of Microsoft. And for investing in patent trolling companies despite claiming in 1991 that technology patents are bad for the industry--which you can either take as hypocrisy or due warning that the American people and Congress refused to act on.

I don't really know what you're getting at with the internet-ARPANET reference relating to maffew's point that your comparison of tech company COs to atrocities committed by communist dictatorships might not be on the level.

But who owns the electron on and off switches?!?! gently caress me does Turing still get royalty checks?

E: seriously though are there any wizards working with dry and ice and absolute zero? Holla at cha boy

Poor Outlook fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 26, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Poor Outlook posted:

But who owns the electron on and off switches?!?! gently caress me does Turing still get royalty checks?

oh he got his reward from the uk government all right

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ded posted:

oh he got his reward from the uk government all right

:smith:

No doubt. Chemically castrated him right? There's a joke for the fellas about not having to pay child support, but yeah it was a different time.