Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Poor Outlook posted:

But who owns the electron on and off switches?!?! gently caress me does Turing still get royalty checks?

E: seriously though are there any wizards working with dry and ice and absolute zero? Holla at cha boy

Oh, I get it now--it's a more general thing.

FYI: Dry ice sublimates at 194.65 K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

piL posted:

Oh, I get it now--it's a more general thing.

FYI: Dry ice sublimates at 194.65 K.

Interesting what is absolute zero. I guess I'm literally talking about quantum computers now. Cause isn't there a thing where at absolute zero photons ping both positively and negatively charged or something. I'm literally wondering aloud if I'm giving away state secrets

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Poor Outlook posted:

Interesting what is absolute zero. I guess I'm literally talking about quantum computers now. Cause isn't there a thing where at absolute zero photons ping both positively and negatively charged or something. I'm literally wondering aloud if I'm giving away state secrets

Absolute zero is 0 Kelvin, 0 degrees Rankine, -273.15 degrees Celsius, and -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit. Dry ice ain’t poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The only person Steve Jobs has ever executed was himself.

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Midjack posted:

Absolute zero is 0 Kelvin, 0 degrees Rankine, -273.15 degrees Celsius, and -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit. Dry ice ain’t poo poo.

Vacuums and magnets, right?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Poor Outlook posted:

Vacuums and magnets, right?

Weirdly enough they use lasers to cool stuff down really, really, REALLY cold.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The only person Steve Jobs has ever executed was himself.

We are actually taught this in residency. His pancreatic cancer was entirely curable with the current surgical and medical modalities at the time. Unfortunately he chose to treat it with like a carrot diet and acupuncture. By the time he finally went to an oncologist it had metastasized to his liver and it was game over. Legit, 100% he could still be alive today.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Poor Outlook posted:

It's a cult of personality. In the same way Steve Jobs got people to work for nothing and spend all their time at work, I would imagine that communists leaders did something similar. Working towards a common goal feels good. It's the fundamental difference between east and west thinking in the Cold War.

I would also highly recommend The Americans. It's about the KGB and why blue jeans and Ronald Regan being absolutely willing to end life on earth 'won' the Cold War.

In the Thanksgiving video one of the guys (he's actually in all 3) talks about how in his hometown he was very happy because he felt fulfilled just doing his duty and was unaware of the lies and activities of his government. Conversely in South Korea he enjoys his freedoms but finds happiness itself to be far more difficult to attain.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Weirdly enough they use lasers to cool stuff down really, really, REALLY cold.

Wait so in the first halo novel when they were talking about using lasers to cool this :krad: new reactor design that was actually based on something? :catstare:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Blind Rasputin posted:

We are actually taught this in residency. His pancreatic cancer was entirely curable with the current surgical and medical modalities at the time. Unfortunately he chose to treat it with like a carrot diet and acupuncture. By the time he finally went to an oncologist it had metastasized to his liver and it was game over. Legit, 100% he could still be alive today.

Jobs had one job but he ended up being a jobber.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Utoday_en/status/1254339452664758273

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

North Korea should sell off their bitcoins so that (slightly) more people weep and wail about his passing, then they can say "look at how many people around the world loved and miss Awesome Leader" (if he's actually dead).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don’t think maffew meant bill gates when he said bill. That was just generic insert for a guy’s name saying steve jobs didn’t working anyone to death in mac mines.

Also it was an ipod prototype he threw in the fish tank.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Poor Outlook posted:

It's a cult of personality. In the same way Steve Jobs got people to work for nothing and spend all their time at work, I would imagine that communists leaders did something similar. Working towards a common goal feels good. It's the fundamental difference between east and west thinking in the Cold War.

I would also highly recommend The Americans. It's about the KGB and why blue jeans and Ronald Regan being absolutely willing to end life on earth 'won' the Cold War.

Can't forget square dancing!

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

BigDave posted:

Can't forget square dancing!

I think it was square dancing that started wahabism in Saudi. Some person came to the US and was like, "look how sinful these people are, I should do terrrorism".

To clarify, I'm just hoping breakdown of society does happen so I can go full Baathist party and start drilling holes into people's brains. How fun would it be to burn down the south, for real this time. No rulz, just right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also it was an ipod prototype he threw in the fish tank.

Pretty sure the ipad Tosh trashed was a prototype or at least meant for review, which is why I mentioned it on the last page.

Pissing off apple fanatics is actually funny, even if Tosh isn't.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Today the newspaper tells me that some very pale girl I've never heard of is super evil and dangerous and we have to be ready to annihilate her and also the boss says we should try injecting disinfectant. April 26th, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Stravag posted:

Wait so in the first halo novel when they were talking about using lasers to cool this :krad: new reactor design that was actually based on something? :catstare:

I enjoyed that novel immensely. Shame about the rest of them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stravag posted:

http://news.mit.edu/2007/super-cool

quote:

To reach such extreme temperatures, the researchers are combining two previously demonstrated techniques-optical trapping and optical damping. Two laser beams strike the suspended mirror, one to trap the mirror in place, as a spring would (by restoring the object to its equilibrium position when it moves), and one to slow (or damp) the object and take away its thermal energy.
Combined, the two lasers generate a powerful force--stronger than a diamond rod of the same shape and size as the laser beams--that reduces the motion of the object to near nothing.
Using light to hold the mirror in place avoids the problems raised by confining it with another object, such as a spring, Mavalvala said. Mechanical springs are made of atoms that have their own thermal energy and thus would interfere with cooling.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stravag posted:

Yeah if you point a laser tuned to just below the frequency needed to eject a photon from an atom it's pointed at then the atom will only eject photons when moving in direction of the laser (because of the doppler effect). It dampens the random motion of the atoms in a substance which is the same thing as making it colder.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Poor Outlook posted:

I think it was square dancing that started wahabism in Saudi. Some person came to the US and was like, "look how sinful these people are, I should do terrrorism".

To clarify, I'm just hoping breakdown of society does happen so I can go full Baathist party and start drilling holes into people's brains. How fun would it be to burn down the south, for real this time. No rulz, just right.

the gently caress

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Prop Wash posted:

the gently caress

I'm mad and sad that I'm lonely and underpaid. You guys used to be cool. And now I have no where to compare my inner angst to increasingly bizarre and upsetting methods of torture. I had a bad run in with the mental health system, the dsm being a literal product of nazi science used by the fine people at the CIA to torture illiterate farmers, and now my brain is broken in upsetting ways.

Like, the sociopathic feelings of sitting down with a therapist and being like 'I probably know more than you'. And it's like, you know what? I tried to be a decent person and I'm bitter that no one knows or cares.

Poor Outlook fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 26, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Poor Outlook posted:

I'm mad and sad that I'm lonely and underpaid. You guys used to be cool. And now I have no where to compare my inner angst to increasingly bizarre and upsetting methods of torture. I had a bad run in with the mental health system, the dsm being a literal product of nazi science used by the fine people at the CIA to torture illiterate farmers, and now my brain is broken in upsetting ways.

I’ll say

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Woofer posted:

I’ll say

Technically, it was the Seer (survive, resist something something) manuel they reversed engineered, but the point about nazi science stands. Like NASA and von braun were all literal nazis

Poor Outlook fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 26, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

My Spirit Otter posted:

it's not their fault. it's institutionalization. it's a big problem with prisons as well.

Hell, some people reenlist

facialimpediment posted:

I hope Fauci sees this thing sometime because Brad Pitt has him so loving nailed and he deserves his family laughing with him.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1254257688050954240

lmfao

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
This was a hell of a thing to wake up to on a Sunday morning.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Poor Outlook posted:

Technically, it was the Seer (survive, resist something something) manuel they reversed engineered, but the point about nazi science stands. Like NASA and von braun were all literal nazis

SERE was created because of events in Korea and Vietnam, with it being primarily driven by Nick Rowe, who was held for 5 years in VC jungle camps.

Dude, I'm sorry you are having a tough loving time. It seems like the problem is you need new MH providers, not Nazi science. There are plenty of noncenventional MH treatment options right now, including Teleconf, texting, and phone calls. If you are in the US, Dolly loving Parton (:love: :swoon:) has a program for Vets designed specifically for invisible wounds. Put in an app.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The only code Steve Jobs ever executed was other people's

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Von Braun was a nazi, yes, but his advances in rocket science outweighs any of his prior hateful ways.

I read a bit about Von Braun about a decade ago, iirc he was a nazi because that was the only way he could get funding. His involvement did get plenty of people killed, but without it, we wouldn't know what we do about space travel and all that jazz. He's not an easily forgivable figure in history, but he was a necessity for the time.

And at least he didn't nuke anyone.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hi, I'm legendary permabanned poster ______. I first started reading GiP when it was just a grover thread. by 2011 i got really obsessed with the concept of "civil war" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "motorola spies for the CIA" and "absolute zero photons ping pong" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "chud" style of GiP humor was all about; i think its the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” GiP to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The mental health illness and veteran venn diagram is just a circle. Hope this helps.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Von Braun was a nazi, yes

yes

sadly obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Von Braun was a nazi, yes, but his advances in rocket science outweighs any of his prior hateful ways.

neoliberal.txt

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
look it is literally impossible to get this rocket technology without it coming from a nazi, it just won't happen otherwise, it has to be a nazi

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Under these circumstances you gotta give it to him

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I read a bit about Von Braun about a decade ago, iirc he was a nazi because that was the only way he could get funding. His involvement did get plenty of people killed, but without it, we wouldn't know what we do about space travel and all that jazz. He's not an easily forgivable figure in history, but he was a necessity for the time.

This sure is a post.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

we may have helped a bunch of nazis escape justice but on the other hand we used them to get people to the moon on time so there's no way to know whether it was good or bad

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=20

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Re: Nazi contributions the Americans took wholesale as well — basically every initial learning on aerospace physiology came from holocaust prisoner experimentations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M_Gargantua posted:

Hi, I'm legendary permabanned poster ______. I first started reading GiP when it was just a grover thread. by 2011 i got really obsessed with the concept of "civil war" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "motorola spies for the CIA" and "absolute zero photons ping pong" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "chud" style of GiP humor was all about; i think its the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” GiP to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Hajistomper58?