Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
InouBattle didn't really fall apart, it just ended in a non-conclusory way. "But our journeys continue/buy the LN" kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Major 2nd has joined the ever-expanding pile of shows that are indefinitely postponed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

i guess one of the more specific defining memories i have in regards to this is that the AX that Trigger announced all three of their new properties they handed out signed illustrations for the three, Franxx, Gridman, and Promare off of a ping pong ball raffle. Back then he couldn't have known, but the guy who got the Gridman illustration was so visibly disappointed on camera that he missed out on the Franxx one lol
Lmao

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

IMO gridman had a terrible ending. The last like 10 seconds legit ruined the entire show for me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

IIRC, Franxx was a collab between Trigger and A-1 Pictures (I think that the studio that worked on Franxx eventually ended up becoming CloverWorks? And they did FGO Babylonia plus Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai), but someone here probably has a better idea on which studio did what and such.
it isnt really a studio thing, the directors just on record saying they had no real plan for the story as they went into production. It feels random and unfocused because they made it up as they went. Obviously not literally week to week, but there was no grand vision or anything

Nitrousoxide posted:

IMO gridman had a terrible ending. The last like 10 seconds legit ruined the entire show for me
I loved gridmans ending, what didnt you like about it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

it isnt really a studio thing, the directors just on record saying they had no real plan for the story as they went into production. It feels random and unfocused because they made it up as they went. Obviously not literally week to week, but there was no grand vision or anything. Its not on trigger or a-1.

The idea with franxx was that the early mid 2000s gainax contingent at trigger was reuniting with the early-mid 2000s gainax contingent at A-1. So if you wanna blame a studio, blame gainax from 2006.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

The whole it's all a dream thing immediately and completely ruined the show for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Why was that a quote and not an edit.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The whole it's all a dream thing immediately and completely ruined the show for me.

It wasn't 'all a dream' though, it was more like different worlds.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

it isnt really a studio thing, the directors just on record saying they had no real plan for the story as they went into production. It feels random and unfocused because they made it up as they went. Obviously not literally week to week, but there was no grand vision or anything
That's a bummer. Like you go into a work all wild-eyed and all of a sudden you black out and get blocked. :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gridman's ending occupies this weird space in my mind where I like everything about it but wish the actual episode was about twice as long to let more plot threads breathe and touch on some other elements that they kind of had to skip over.

Also yeah the digital world isn't fake, it's the digital world. That's the whole gist of classic Gridman too, after all.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Nate RFB posted:

Gridman's ending occupies this weird space in my mind where I like everything about it but wish the actual episode was about twice as long to let more plot threads breathe and touch on some other elements that they kind of had to skip over.

Also yeah the digital world isn't fake, it's the digital world. That's the whole gist of classic Gridman too, after all.

The entirety of SSSS.Gridman basically seems to take place in the span of a single OG Gridman episode.

Yeah, I remember Crunchy's subs got it incorrect, but Rikka and the others are also explicitly called out as being akin to the natives of the digital world that popped up in one episode of the OG (like that lady who hung out with Anosillus the First). There's a lot of little elements that are calling back directly to the original show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And in a broader thematic sense, it's a metaphor for how fiction and the internet can be a source of toxic escapism that indulges your worse habits (Akane at the start) but also something that inspires you or allows you to view things from perspectives besides just your own (Akane at the end.) Fiction and the internet aren't 'real life', but they're definitely real, if that makes sense.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i remember hearing the audio dramas also made it explicit that akane and rikka get back together in the future

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Having never seen the original gridman, nothing about the ending indicates the place we spent the whole show on is anything but a dream. They go on about how nothing exists outside of the city, presumably because that's the extent of her dream, and it literally ends with her waking up in her bed in a live action sequence. If it was supposed to be relating this was anything but a dream they did a terrible job of it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there was literally an entire shot at the end showing the world around them forming together into a complete earth, because she is the god of that world and she's now strong enough emotionally to deal with a world that large. that's the literal text that they give. it's not small because it's the extent of her dream, it's small because she feels anxious and insecure about the world outside of her home

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

2 years later, nitrousoxide still stubbornly wrong

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What I don't get is why people get so mad at the idea that the story might be entirely set in Akane's head. A team of extradimensional superheroes playing Inception to help a girl out of her clinical depression is also a perfectly fine story with meaningful stakes. Going 'oh, it was just about a depressed girl' seems like a rejection of the empathy that the show preaches. It was real and serious for one person, and that's enough.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Somewhere along the line people got the wrong idea.

"It was a dream" is a perfectly fine way to end a story.

The problem is only when the ending is "it was *just* a dream".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Somewhere along the line people got the wrong idea.

"It was a dream" is a perfectly fine way to end a story.

The problem is only when the ending is "it was *just* a dream".

I think that if you don't see the triumph in Akane getting up and going to school after all that, though, then you've missed a great deal of the point of the show.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

The Colonel posted:

there was literally an entire shot at the end showing the world around them forming together into a complete earth, because she is the god of that world and she's now strong enough emotionally to deal with a world that large. that's the literal text that they give. it's not small because it's the extent of her dream, it's small because she feels anxious and insecure about the world outside of her home
yeah, there's people like yuta's parents who were described as being somewhere outside the city and entirely absent from the show, and then right at the end we start seeing them for the first time, because the world outside the city has been properly realized now that akane's on the mend. the one thing I didn't like was that the ending just kind of skipped over whether mending the damage to the world included bringing back the people she killed or not, but I guess that's a pretty minor point.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

in the latest episode of bookworm it's for sure better than dying in a pit but main and lutz sure got around to 'use the orphans as cheap labor' real quick huh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

2 years later, nitrousoxide still stubbornly wrong

There's no way it's been two years

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

18 months is bad enough

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The only thing I didn't really like about SSSS.Gridman's ending is how Gridman resolved everything: turns out he has a restore beam or something, apparently it's something he routinely uses on the live action series, he just... forgot he had it. Or maybe it just wasn't effective until the big bad was defeated, it wasn't entirely clear.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Patware posted:

in the latest episode of bookworm it's for sure better than dying in a pit but main and lutz sure got around to 'use the orphans as cheap labor' real quick huh
I hope Bookworm's story becomes "Maine has to upend this whole society so that it will let her read books in peace."

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Phobophilia posted:

The only thing I didn't really like about SSSS.Gridman's ending is how Gridman resolved everything: turns out he has a restore beam or something, apparently it's something he routinely uses on the live action series, he just... forgot he had it. Or maybe it just wasn't effective until the big bad was defeated, it wasn't entirely clear.

It was that he forgot about it-specifically gridman's true role is not to fight, but to restore. Both in restoring Akane's heart and restoring the damage to the world.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

it's also admittedly the one example of full on fanservice in service of a rational conclusion but i'll allow it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

How about instead of wishing that people would be put in bodily peril so you can watch your Japanese cartoons, you hope that the anime studios develop effective work from home workflows to continue bringing the content safely.
Dear thread: I should have just said that. I was skeptical if they would even consider that. I also didn't get that anime = essential = more deaths. My apologies for being so tone-deaf everyone.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
go watch tenamonya voyagers grouchio

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

What I don't get is why people get so mad at the idea that the story might be entirely set in Akane's head. A team of extradimensional superheroes playing Inception to help a girl out of her clinical depression is also a perfectly fine story with meaningful stakes. Going 'oh, it was just about a depressed girl' seems like a rejection of the empathy that the show preaches. It was real and serious for one person, and that's enough.

I can get behind this reading I suppose. I had taken it originally as it JUST being a dream that was entirely unconsequential. As long as there were stakes and a pay off that results in a changed world, even just a change to Akane to make her a happier person I'll withdraw my objection on that point.

I still think that if the intent was to also convey that the non-live action world was actually not a dream and had it's own existence apart from Akane that they did a poor job of establishing that.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Nitrousoxide posted:

I still think that if the intent was to also convey that the non-live action world was actually not a dream and had it's own existence apart from Akane that they did a poor job of establishing that.

I mean, it was pretty blatant that Akane was an intruder? Anosillus II was just hanging around as someone who lived there before she arrived (and established that yeah, SSSS was a sequel).

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i thought there was a couple minutes long conversation while the show was wrapping up about the nature of things?

it's been a bit but i definitely didn't get the same read and im not the type who's really digging deep into lore things either

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the final scene of the show is literally just. a discussion between akane and rikka about. stuff

gridman isn't particularly subtle about its story it's just that the info is conveyed through very personal conversations between akane and rikka rather than like, gridman infodumping on your face for five minutes

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

go watch tenamonya voyagers grouchio
Challenge completed. :kamina:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know the show you just watched grouchio? they made it before the year 2007. believe it or not, they made anime for 50 years before 2007. imagine how much anime that is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There must be at least 8 of em.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

There must be at least 8 of em.
first they made astro boy, then they made gundam, then they made dragon ball z, then they made sailor moon, then they made evangelion, then they made cowboy bebop, then they made ghost in the shell, then they made naruto.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

and through it all, one piece, from all the way back in 1776

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
then they made risky safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They never made Please Teacher.