Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Ah yes, Covid-19, that famous conspiracy where millions of doctors and scientists from all over the world all got together in secret to lie about the flu in order for American hospitals to get rich off of shutting down their most profitable divisions.

Absolute genius, Bitchell.

this is what i dont understand about the conspiracy theories around this

at least throw aliens in there or some poo poo, nobody is really profiting off of this

tourism, hospitality, gas, restaurants, elective surgeries, everything is tanking and will feel the effects for a few years, minimum

the only remotely plausible explanation is china is to blame because they know they will recover much quicker than the states and that puts them in the number one position, but thats pretty drat risky in a world where america is run by morons with nukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the number one problem slowing things down are probably (federal) personal security requirements for the data and the fact that states were transitioning people to WFH at the same time they had to create a new bureaucracy

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I totally missed this part of the trainwreck that is this administration

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1254755484046893056

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

please stop posting Bill Mitchell

:same:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

euphronius posted:

you gotta scream it

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

Burn Zone posted:

lmao collard greens and mustard greens are southern staples

Collard greens are insanely easy to grow here.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

NofrikinfuN posted:

at least throw aliens in there or some poo poo, nobody is really profiting off of this

tourism, hospitality, gas, restaurants, elective surgeries, everything is tanking and will feel the effects for a few years, minimum

the only remotely plausible explanation is china is to blame because they know they will recover much quicker than the states and that puts them in the number one position, but thats pretty drat risky in a world where america is run by morons with nukes

Yeah if that was the plan you'd have done it during the Obama years and used the virus to cull the chuds while "working with" obama to ensure they're a placated nation to be drained of resources.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

the conspiracy theories only exist to exculpate trump and white supremacy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so do we have any hilarious numbers out of GA yet

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

the number one problem slowing things down are probably (federal) personal security requirements for the data and the fact that states were transitioning people to WFH at the same time they had to create a new bureaucracy

i think what makes it stupid is that unemployment has always, always had a system for paying for a lump sum due to backlogs or contested filings or whatever else. with the PUA bernie bucks being a flat number there was absolutely no reason to demand a new bureaucracy, you just get people registered, get them their 600/week immediately, and figure out the rest later

i tried helping a friend in WA with it and last we looked there wasn't a way to do it , it does look updated now but is it actually active?
https://esd.wa.gov/unemployment/self-employed

looks like theyre making you apply to the regular program first for some stupid reason. Are they actually holding people to the $1 in benefits to qualify? It's going to be wild if a NEET has to do a single instacart pickup then apply for it because they wouldn't qualify otherwise. this whole system is so lovely

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I mean, he is correct that swedens reported covid deaths don't line up with the excess deaths in his graphs, in that he has 1300 excess deaths and official report of covid deaths the same date was 2194. I think he just has nonsense numbers, NYT claimed 1100 excess deaths in Sweden as of April 12: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html , and that the numbers then lined up well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

SO can you guys not get groceries delivered by amazon/whole foods? I live right behind a grocery store that I pretty much never go to now because it's about the same price as getting whole foods delivered.

Instacart and Amazon delivery is a real clusterfuck here so I just go myself

Instacart from Costco is a ~10-20% premium per item before you get to the delivery fee and the tip for the person putting their life at risk for your potato chips, easier for me to just go off-peak.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

euphronius posted:

the conspiracy theories only exist to exculpate trump and white supremacy

yeah, this makes sense, actually

overthinking it i guess, they just need to deflect blame, not explain it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AceOfFlames posted:

"fenugreek"
"collard greens"
"Mustard greens"
"kombu"
"guajillo peppers"

Once. Just loving ONCE, I would like to find recipe books or sites not loaded with weird ingredients that are either made with an American audience in mind or assume everyone has access to an exotic grocery store. How about someone make a recipe book called "15 Minute Vegetarian Recipes Made With Vegetables Available in Every Grocery Store In The World And You Can Probably Grow Yourself"? Or how about "The 5 Easy To Grow Meals That You Can Eat Every Day To Maintain Nutrition Even In The Face Of The Apocalypse That Don't Require Having Access To Literal Tons Of Beans"? When are we getting THOSE books?

the two greens are literally southern staples and guajillo peppers are super easy to find. Kombu is also pretty easy but to be honest I never heard of fenugreek before.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Cspam turning away from bitchell yet again, the lesson has been forgotten

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
No, see, it makes perfect sense that every other country on earth has non-profit hospitals and they're doing all this so the hospitals can make more money, which they don't do, by tanking every other facet of their economies so that the money they're not making is worth less.

Me am genius brain. Q!

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

so do we have any hilarious numbers out of GA yet

check again in two weeks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

i think what makes it stupid is that unemployment has always, always had a system for paying for a lump sum due to backlogs or contested filings or whatever else. with the PUA bernie bucks being a flat number there was absolutely no reason to demand a new bureaucracy, you just get people registered, get them their 600/week immediately, and figure out the rest later

i tried helping a friend in WA with it and last we looked there wasn't a way to do it , it does look updated now but is it actually active?
https://esd.wa.gov/unemployment/self-employed

looks like theyre making you apply to the regular program first for some stupid reason. Are they actually holding people to the $1 in benefits to qualify? It's going to be wild if a NEET has to do a single instacart pickup then apply for it because they wouldn't qualify otherwise. this whole system is so lovely

getting people registered who don’t have a job is completely new

and states just can’t pay people and figure out the rest later like treasury or the fed since they are bound by laws

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I totally missed this part of the trainwreck that is this administration

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1254755484046893056

mom, i want to vape

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

AceOfFlames posted:

"fenugreek"
"collard greens"
"Mustard greens"

"kombu"
"guajillo peppers"

Once. Just loving ONCE, I would like to find recipe books or sites not loaded with weird ingredients that are either made with an American audience in mind or assume everyone has access to an exotic grocery store. How about someone make a recipe book called "15 Minute Vegetarian Recipes Made With Vegetables Available in Every Grocery Store In The World And You Can Probably Grow Yourself"? Or how about "The 5 Easy To Grow Meals That You Can Eat Every Day To Maintain Nutrition Even In The Face Of The Apocalypse That Don't Require Having Access To Literal Tons Of Beans"? When are we getting THOSE books?

Lmao

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

getting people registered who don’t have a job is completely new

and states just can’t pay people and figure out the rest later like treasury or the fed since they are bound by laws

right, which is why the feds should have done it

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_bRNLJJurA/?igshid=11k8v32io9slv

:stonk:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

right, which is why the feds should have done it

that would be a complete waste as the states already have the systems set up mostly and are already doing the traditional payments

that would be an enourmous expansion of federal power anyway and not something we should want was they would use it to advance their white supremacist theories

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

even the guajillo peps like...

idk i guess some places are just rlly white & its hard to find poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

whatever you think of the overall project of the USA, I think without a doubt federalism is like the only thing holding us back from complete and total fascist tyranny

not that I think federalism should be saved or is good or anything

kru
Oct 5, 2003

euphronius posted:

please stop posting, Bill Mitchell!

kru has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Apr 27, 2020

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

"fenugreek"
"collard greens"
"Mustard greens"
"kombu"
"guajillo peppers"

These are all important ingredients if you ever hope to breed a Gold Chocobo.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

euphronius posted:

whatever you think of the overall project of the USA, I think without a doubt federalism is like the only thing holding us back from complete and total fascist tyranny

not that I think federalism should be saved or is good or anything

oh is this not complete and total??? i cant even get my dang hair cut

BMX Ninja posted:

These are all important ingredients if you ever hope to breed a Gold Chocobo.

lmao

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

cyka blyat posted:

Collard greens are insanely easy to grow here.

sexpig by night posted:

the two greens are literally southern staples and guajillo peppers are super easy to find. Kombu is also pretty easy but to be honest I never heard of fenugreek before.

I don't live in the U.S. One of the problems I have is even finding out what the equivalent to these things are in Dutch. I guess the closest would be kale?

Though apparently collad greens are what we call "couve" back in Portugal. But again, I don't live there anymore.

And the only places I can find guajillo peppers are specialized stores. The fresh ones demand you go all the way to Amsterdam to buy.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't live in the U.S. One of the problems I have is even finding out what the equivalent to these things are in Dutch. I guess the closest would be kale?

Though apparently collad greens are what we call "couve" back in Portugal. But again, I don't live there anymore.

ohhhh that makes sense

e: post some traditional netherlands recipes sometime so i can swear about not finding ingredients

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

to translate: im too dumb to help my child with adding fractions

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

just counterprogram the bitchell with hillary tweets from 2016, it's not as old and tired as bitchell but it's at least as dumb

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

that would be a complete waste as the states already have the systems set up mostly and are already doing the traditional payments

that would be an enourmous expansion of federal power anyway and not something we should want was they would use it to advance their white supremacist theories

illinois wont have theirs online for 3 more weeks , at best! and you aren't even accounting for some states hamstringing it on purpose

gently caress it whatever

anyways
https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/26/1-000-people-attend-crowded-house-party-in-chicago/

i dont even know what you do if that goes down on your block, calling the cops isnt a good answer but its not like you're going to convince them to stop by knocking on the door

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

seattle plague rat posted:

ohhhh that makes sense

e: post some traditional netherlands recipes sometime so i can swear about not finding ingredients

I'm not Dutch either. I am a Portuguese expat in the Netherlands. Big part of that experience is not being able to do your traditional recipes thanks to not having ingredients, hence my wish for a universal "How To Feed Yourself All The Nutritional Stuff You Need With These Basic rear end Vegetables That Grow Anywhere" book.

My parents keep freaking out about me not eating fish once a week. As if fish won't eventually become extinct. If they are so essential to nutrition, what do we replace them with?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

three weeks is incredibly fast.

you are buying into Trumps framing. states were given a poorly defined federal legislative mandate and left to their own to implement it in the middle of a pandemic when staff could not come into the office. lol it’s insane.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

unemployment compensation should not have been the primary vehicle of stimulus considering that is on purpose “slow” (it should be) and bureaucracy heavy.

it would be a lot better for Treasury just to send people money like they did (even tho that even had weak points)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

unemployment compensation should not have been the primary vehicle of stimulus considering that is on purpose “slow” (it should be) and bureaucracy heavy.

it would be a lot better for Treasury just to send people money like they did (even tho that even had weak points)

The cruelty/slowness is the point
Miller is trying to starve the "parasites"

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

whats cilantro anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The cruelty/slowness is the point
Miller is trying to starve the "parasites"

yeah probably.

idk. when that unemployment enlargement was passed I guess it was foreseeable that more (non unemployment) stimulus was on its way

lol nope