Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Fell Fire posted:

But, wouldn't virtually anything else be even more rare? Beer/spirits would need to be shipped in, unless those monks also brewed some, and that process would use up a lot of water. Fruit juices would be similar, given that arable land is so limited they can't even grow coffee legally.

CainFortea posted:

They're talking about ordering fresh bottled water, not the recycled water. At least, that's the impression I always got.

Yeah the bottled water.
Like, $19,99 per cup of whiskey in a bar with a 0.5l bottle of water being priced the same.

Recycled tap water is a totally different matter, not for 'fancy bar drinking'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Your finest recycled greywater my good man... pak'ma'ra vintage :smug:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

DrBouvenstein posted:

3) A commander on the first contact ship that was known to be bad in first contact situations (uhhh...so how many wars with other races were the humans involved with thanks to this guy?)

I thought The Omega Incident that Lefcourt refers to was the incident that brought Earth into the Dilgar War.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

V-Men posted:

I thought The Omega Incident that Lefcourt refers to was the incident that brought Earth into the Dilgar War.

I'm not sure if it's a trope exactly, but I really love it when writers try to let us know that a not-yet-introduced character is a loose cannon by having a superior interrupt an objection with "the military tribunal cleared him/her of any wrongdoing in the Omega Incident, dammit" without going into any detail about what the thing was. It's sort of unintentionally hilarious, like did he knock over someone's coffee? Or did he nuke an orphanage? Did he blow up the galaxy and we all had to move to a new one and we just don't talk about it?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1251309185578397697?s=20

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's wild how revelations about this show can still come out. This never ocured to me!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Read the lurkers guide, it's full of stuff like that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Touched by a Vorlon

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Charlie's Vorlons

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

vorlons in the outfied

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

(aired 18 months before take me out to the holosuite)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Got a new startup idea, looking for some Vorlon investors.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Got a new startup idea, looking for some Vorlon investors.

What amount do you want?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midjack posted:

What amount do you want?

:thunk: Who are you, again?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:thunk: Who are you, again?

Where are you going?! :ohdear:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Midjack posted:

What amount do you want?

NEVER ask that question.

Vorlons among us.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Los Vorlones Vorlons of Anaheim

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

vorlons in america by tony koshner

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEtUeXcgSI

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Proof, if it was needed, that the greatness of B5's CGI was not in the quality of the assets, but how they were shot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dirty posted:

Proof, if it was needed, that the greatness of B5's CGI was not in the quality of the assets, but how they were shot.

Yeah, the models need more polygons, and the textures are of woefully low resolution, but the animation is rock solid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dirty posted:

It's such an ingenious launch method too when you realize they're just releasing clamps and using centrifugal force to fling them out.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

But then they show the fighters getting released sequentially but coming out on parallel vectors, and you die a little inside.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Wouldn't they still be "rotating" around the station at the same speed as the station rotates, at least while they're launching?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FISHMANPET posted:

Wouldn't they still be "rotating" around the station at the same speed as the station rotates, at least while they're launching?

That's what thrusters are for. It's like the drop zone for an air drop out a plane; Wait until it's in the right range and release so they'll wind up coming out over where they need to actually be.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The vectors would be radial, intersecting at the station"s axis of rotation. There ought to be either a simultaneous drop, or a series of maneuvers to get the group into formation.

Edit: Radial is actually a completely wrong statement. WTF, tired me?

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 25, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

FISHMANPET posted:

It's the same as whirling a bag around your head then letting go. The vector will be tangential to the rotation at the point of losing contact, which for a short time can be approximated as "still rotating at basically the same rate, but also falling".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The vectors would be radial, intersecting at the station"s axis of rotation. There ought to be either a simultaneous drop, or a series of maneuvers to get the group into formation.

You frequently see the series of manoeuvres, so that's OK.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force
That's how the artificial gravity works there btw

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force
That's how the artificial gravity works there btw

I always wondered if every other alien race thought Earthers were batshit crazy for having spinning sections for gravity.

No other race that we see does that, right?

In fact...is it implied that of the races we see, humans are the only ones that DON'T have artificial gravity (at least until season 5-ish, when the Minbari give it to Earth in exchange for joining the Alliance and not jailing Sheridan?)

I guess we never really see what a Drazi or Breen or Brakiri ship is like, so maybe they all float in there like every Earthforce ship that isn't an Omega-class?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Narn Heavy Cruisers are zero-g, that's why they're strapped in. Other than that, I don't recall seeing another race that lacked artificial gravity.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Q_res posted:

The Narn Heavy Cruisers are zero-g, that's why they're strapped in. Other than that, I don't recall seeing another race that lacked artificial gravity.

Did we even see inside a Centauri ship?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Jedit posted:

Did we even see inside a Centauri ship?

Yes, during the war against the Narns, especifically Refa bring Londo with him to watch the bombardment of the Narn homeworld.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I thought it was fairly established that the Minbari and Centari were the only two of the younger races to have fully developed artificial grav, with the Mindbari having much more advanced versions.. That's what the long sweeping fins in their ship desigm does versus the massive engines on everyone else's. I recall reading that some of the other races orient their decks vertically and use ship acceleration and deceleration to mimic gravity as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

I thought it was fairly established that the Minbari and Centari were the only two of the younger races to have fully developed artificial grav, with the Mindbari having much more advanced versions.. That's what the long sweeping fins in their ship desigm does versus the massive engines on everyone else's. I recall reading that some of the other races orient their decks vertically and use ship acceleration and deceleration to mimic gravity as well.

Which makes it odd that the Narn don't have artificial gravity, as it's explicit that they got spaceflight technology from the Centauri.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jedit posted:

Which makes it odd that the Narn don't have artificial gravity, as it's explicit that they got spaceflight technology from the Centauri.

It doesn't necessarily mean they got ALL the technology from the Centauri. Also they had more limited resources, it's possible that they just focused on weapons technology.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My half remembered knowledge is that the Primus battlecruiser was their first attempt and they never quite got artificial gravity working right on them. The Vorchan is newer and it works much better on those but it's still a generation or three behind what the Minbari are fielding. The Vorchan still has thrusters supplementing the gravity drive while Minbari ships are purely gravitic.

It also makes sense even if the Narn learned about modern space engineering from captured Centauri tech since Narn was probably more about resource extraction than skilled industry. It's one things to have the plans for a gravity generator but it's something else to have the industrial base to build one.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Jedit posted:

Gravity tech seems to be heavily controlled (isn't sharing it one of the big things the IA does?) so I doubt the Narn had access to much of it. Whereas there were probably rocket engines and stuff being built on Narn with slave labour.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Take the complete blueprints of an F-14 back to WWII and no one would actually know how to build it despite the instructions. There are generations of the build the tool to build the tool cycle that Narn would have to go through to match Centauri tech. It's honestly impressive that Narn and to a lesser extent Earth developed such powerful militaries in so short s time span even with booth getting boosts from the Centauri.

On that note I've wondered if the Centauri had found Earth a few centuries earlier if Earth would also have gotten the Narn treatment? My read of the situation was that by the time they found us they were already in decline and preferred developing and cultivating a friendly regional power to stabilize their flank rather than expansion and conquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm inclined to imagine something like Sliding Albion, from the early Authority comics.