Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
I have a 14-day Xbox Game pass trial if anyone wants it. First come first serve:

TMM3H-99DMY-R3MPW-64HMT-M4DYZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i'm up to what i assume is the final battle in ff7r and BOY HOWDY DO I LOVE GETTING loving STUNLOCKED

Still more fighting to do. But here's a tip for that boss: use braver on him when he's reloading, you have to time it right. Otherwise use focus thrust when he's reloading, it's easier to land though braver is more effective by far.

The following boss fights aren't super hard unless you don't make sure all 4 characters are equipped with materia.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh he was just annoying, I was talking about the final final battle

Anyway having finished it if I am understanding correctly, you are fighting to prevent the plot of ff7 from happening at all which is just a masterful troll

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

All I know about ff7r is this
https://twitter.com/genicecream/status/1253629865741279233?s=19

And that Tiffa and aerith are girlfriends

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
If there's one thing I never expected from this hellworld timeline, it was the ff7 remake releasing at all, let alone being good.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I kind of agree with whoever made the observation about Sephiroth being reduced to "generic anime bad guy" in the remake. I was 16 or 17 when the original FF7 came out and was a sucker for bad writing and broody protagonists, so take my opinion with a grain of salt here. However, in the original game Sephiroth was like Keyser Soze; bigger than life. The entire game is you basically chasing after him and when you finally confront him, it felt satisfying to know all of the work you put into get there had a payoff. In the remake, Sephiroth is reduced to anime trope bad guy who pops in to taunt you along the way.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, you aren't wrong. I think you actually run into Sephiroth about... 4 times total? 5? And the remake I think he pops in the very first time you meet Aerith

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mustang posted:

Still more fighting to do. But here's a tip for that boss: use braver on him when he's reloading, you have to time it right. Otherwise use focus thrust when he's reloading, it's easier to land though braver is more effective by far.

The following boss fights aren't super hard unless you don't make sure all 4 characters are equipped with materia.

mana/mako burst or w/e works great too, and isn't contingent on him reloading

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Now that I'm out of school I'm finally considering getting the FF7 Remake. From 1 to Civ, how bad is the suck your life away factor

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

GD_American posted:

Now that I'm out of school I'm finally considering getting the FF7 Remake. From 1 to Civ, how bad is the suck your life away factor

If you want to throw your life away for a few days pick up Bannerlord

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I think ops management tuned up my sperg because I've been dicking around with Production Line for a while now. I just don't do the fantasy stuff anymore, lost my flavor for it.

I might start a new Stardew farm. I've got one in Year 5 with max everything and there's not much else to do until a new patch comes.

I guess there's always Civ 6, I've held off that beast for a few years but now is as good a time as any to tie off and shoot it up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Live life on the edge. Download Dwarf Fortress.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Dwarf Fortress is the eternal pinnacle of weirdness engineering.

Aurora 4x is the space sperg game of dreams.

Factorio is the distillation of the logistics puzzle.

Every zactronics game.... is

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Exapunks dominated my brain for weeks

I was literally waking up in the middle of the night with the solution to some problem I was struggling with

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I wish Dwarf Fortress had a UI that actually let you interact with it

Which I guess is probably why I enjoy Rimworld as much as I do

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Dwarf Fortress is the eternal pinnacle of weirdness engineering.

Aurora 4x is the space sperg game of dreams.

Factorio is the distillation of the logistics puzzle.

These are all amazing games.

TIS-100 ate my life up for a few weeks.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Internet Wizard posted:

i don't mind that, i just want a nice looking one that isn't ascii art.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Internet Wizard posted:

Which I guess is probably why I enjoy Rimworld as much as I do

keep an eye on the steam release

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

amazing and worthy of your time and attention, if that's your jam.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
shenzen i/o taught me that i know nothing about coding and probably wont.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vyKkOZ_JY

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The one game I ever Kickstarted was RimWorld and hooooboy was that a good choice :)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Wasn't GIP putting some of its villains in that Prison Architect game?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6SaZmM06og

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Did any of you pick up XCOM: Chimera Squad? Thinking about pulling the trigger on it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I got it.

Its.... different. The gameplay is centered around individual encounters and door-kicking. It's not a traditional xcom game in that a team member dying is mission failed. Basically think SWATCOM or something.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah it's actually pretty fun for what it is and the turn initiative is an interesting mechanic as is the breaching. It's basically a side story while we wait for XCOM 3.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Basically think SWATCOM or something.

I've been calling it XCOM: The Troubles

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Writing-wise it's basically a police procedural, but set in the aftermath of XCOM 2. This is just as interesting as you'd think it is, which is to say a whole lot. Writing's also good--not every line lands but nothing's perfect, some of the dialogue is genuinely funny, and the squadmembers are growing on me pretty fast. Some of the art is a little wonky but not too much, and I like the style.

I open with talking about that because it's a much tighter, focused experience than XCOM 2. The core engine and gameplay are similar but there's a lot more going on--it's pretty clearly serving as a testbed for XCOM 3 ideas. You're working in one city instead of the whole planet, and you've got a bunch of tools to keep the whole place from going up in flames. Alternating whole-team terms have been replaced with an initiative order timeline--if you've ever played Banner Saga it's almost exactly the same kind of thing. Instead of the ambush gameplay from 2 you start battles in Breach Mode--you blast into an area and can fire off a whole bunch of abilities and attacks in what's basically a surprise round. A mission can be made up of 1-3 of these sub-battles, and while you get healed between missions they can get pretty drat intensive.

Something to note--characters are not allowed to die, nor are you allowed to fail primary objectives. If either of those happens, you hosed up, start over (from a couple of possible points). Like I said, it's using the same core engine and gameplay but it's a very different game. Definitely not a bad different, though--there's a lot of great ideas in here that I'm hoping get popular enough to stick around. The timeline in particular is a great change--manipulating it makes you feel really smart.

Basically what I'm saying is, get it. Game is absolutely worth 20 bucks let alone 10. You'll get at least 24 solid hours out of the campaign and it's got good replayability, because there's 11 different agents and you can only ever get 8 per run, so it's gonna take a long time to run out of combinations to experiment with.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Anybody play Battletech (the turn-based one)? I put it on the Steam watchlist with Stellaris.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

GD_American posted:

Anybody play Battletech (the turn-based one)? I put it on the Steam watchlist with Stellaris.

Yeah I played it awhile back. It's pretty good. I need to go back and finish it and some of the DLC I got for it.

Oh I can't remember who here was hyped for State of Decay 2, but the revamp update they put out for it made the game much more enjoyable and easier to get into.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

GD_American posted:

Yeah I've played through it 4 or 5 times and it's loving amazing, everything my 13-year old self wanted. The campaign mode is a little ho-hum, but the career mode is great and that's what most of my games have been on.

It goes on sale on Greenmangaming sometimes too, so keep an eye out there in addition to Steam.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah I played it awhile back. It's pretty good. I need to go back and finish it and some of the DLC I got for it.

Oh I can't remember who here was hyped for State of Decay 2, but the revamp update they put out for it made the game much more enjoyable and easier to get into.

Yeah SoD 2 is a lot more fun now, and I’m saying this as someone who played the poo poo out of the first one and has been playing 2 since launch in 2018.

Anyone interested in co-op? I know TF plays but the NZ-EST time difference makes it harder to coordinate with him.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Someone very close to The Last Of Us 2 leaked essentially the game including the ending this weekend, so be very wary going anywhere like Reddit or YouTube.

Perhaps, as a result, Sony has decided to release the game on June 19th, so really a delay of 3 weeks from the planned May date.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I played SoD2 a lot for a few months until I dove back into the rabbit hole that is the long dark. I'll probably migrate back to it in a few weeks.

I played about two months before the update and probably a month after. It definitely helped. Got tired of saving people with skills like pop culture trivia or whatever.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

bloops posted:

Someone very close to The Last Of Us 2 leaked essentially the game including the ending this weekend, so be very wary going anywhere like Reddit or YouTube.

Perhaps, as a result, Sony has decided to release the game on June 19th, so really a delay of 3 weeks from the planned May date.

I’m hearing rumblings that it sucks but people hate everything so I’m happy it’s coming out!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Woofer posted:

I’m hearing rumblings that it sucks but people hate everything so I’m happy it’s coming out!

Games like that will never be good enough for some folks

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Are these complaints coming from the same nerds who are pissed the main character is an LGBT woman instead of yet another manly man?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah SoD 2 is a lot more fun now, and I’m saying this as someone who played the poo poo out of the first one and has been playing 2 since launch in 2018.

Anyone interested in co-op? I know TF plays but the NZ-EST time difference makes it harder to coordinate with him.

I'm 8 hours behind you, it isn't rocket science man

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Did my first Discord Turnip-dump today. Cashed out at a solid 4x what I paid and avoided getting in a 50 person queue. Probably how I proceed going forward. I might hold out for over 400 next week, but definitely not queuing for the 500+ club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Gears Tactics is pretty solid. Played the first three missions, really enjoyed it.