Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SimonChris posted:

This is a big deal because the neighbour is specifically confirming the assault, not just the earlier harassment complaint.

gotta vote for the rapist though! howie Hawkins does not exist!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If it makes you feel better, just tell yourself that threatening to withhold our votes is the left trying to pull Biden left, a tactic I'm frequently encouraged to do. Don't ask anybody to only start pushing AFTER he's elected though, we all found out how that works out

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

the two biggest blue states are striking Bernie from the ballot specifically to deny him even a tiny amount of leverage at the convention that they obviously plan to box him entirely out of despite his foolish and poorly timed endorsement and subsequent campaigning. I hope more states do it, I think it's important for the party to keep showing people what they're really about and the lengths they're willing to go to prevent even the most modest reforms

i believe we just had people talking about how holding primaries during the coronavirus outbreak was a plot against bernie

(to be fair, i can completely believe bad things about the ny state government, which is a fairly corrupt machine politics-run government, but could you at least settle on a narrative that has any consistency whatsoever)

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 27, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yronic heroism posted:

It’s not about what the candidates deserve. We deserve a president who is not Trump. Period. I want to get what we deserve.

The media is investigating Tara Reade’s claims. They will either result in Biden being pushed aside or not, but either way Trump needs to lose.

But if it were about what candidates deserve you bet I’d go out of my way to punish Trump first and foremost. For whatever reason, you choose to focus your spite on Democrats first and foremost. That’s about emotion so there’s no point arguing over it.

Hey can you answer my question? You made a pretty bold claim so I want to hear what more you have to say on the matter.

yronic heroism posted:

Sounds like I’m doing more to stop fascists than you.

Mekchu posted:

Do go one and explain how you stop fascism. I'm genuinely curious.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

joepinetree posted:

Just in case you were wondering if the establishment sees the left as being on the same side:

https://www.coloradodems.org/2020-presidential-primary-results/

In the past, democrats would allow candidates who "suspended" their campaign to keep their state level delegates for the convention. Hillary famously suspended in 08 instead of withdrawing for that very reason.

This year, democrats decided that suspending is the same as withdrawing. So now we have Biden, Colorado primary winner. Because Bernie suspending his campaign and endorsing Biden isn't enough, it is necessary to stamp out Bernie delegates from the convention.

oh hey, my recommendation to sign up as Biden-preference for state and national conventions is further vindicated

:negative:

evilweasel posted:

i believe we just had people talking about how holding primaries during the coronavirus outbreak was a plot against bernie

iirc NY has things all set for vote by mail and indeed are holding the rest of the primary, just removing the presidential slot

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

evilweasel posted:

you are (probably) not this stupid and should stop pretending to be

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

evilweasel posted:

the proposed solution was delays and/or mail-in voting, not outright cancellation. please do not gaslight.

anyway I agree with MSNBC on this one
https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1248104718079004673

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

the primaries are still happening lol, Bernie just won't be on the ballot. Cuomo wouldn't even entertain the notion of mail-in expansion or a delay until literally one hour after Bernie dropped, and an hour after that the entire party did a mysterious 180 on primaries going forward including Biden admitting they killed people by insisting on them

Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe WI and IL don't show they were plotting to get Bernie out as soon as possible and hold a massive death count over his head. Maybe they are just too stupid to understand the present moment at all, or maybe they literally just do not care if their own voters live or die

Not really any good interpretations to be found here!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mekchu posted:

Do go one and explain how you stop fascism. I'm genuinely curious.

Sure hope he gets around to answering this one. I'll put down my time volunteering with prisoner enfranchisement groups as how I'm fighting fascism.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

There's more than two choices so you've got to convince me why either rapist deserves it.

You’re aware of the arguments and are going to do what you want. Even Nathan Robinson has written that “Biden must win” against Trump, so I’m sure you know exactly what the leftist positions for and against are.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 27, 2020

daft
Oct 16, 2012
i really hate voting for rapists but this thread has convinced me it is ok to do so. love this forum

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Gumball Gumption posted:

So which of Biden's policies makes it acceptable that he raped a woman? Why does he deserve to be the most powerful man in the world?

The irony is that I’m jaded and cynical enough to where I MIGHT be willing to overlook the rape allegations if a Biden administration offered me literally anything to be excited about. Like, anything at all. gently caress it, we know all of these assholes do pizzagate poo poo on the side so we might as well get college loan forgiveness out of one of them.

Unfortunately Biden is so hellbent on blocking the left and proving to Republicans that he sucks just as much as they do that he’s triangulated himself into a place where you can make a credible case that Trump is actually the lesser evil. Which is actually kind of impressive when you think about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

The media is investigating Tara Reade's claims
Ah yes, i love my bastion of justice and support for women. The media. The same media that enabled both trumps crimes and his ascendancy to preaident.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

anyway I'm not of that particular ideological blob, I hope the party lets the mask keep falling so even more people see what they really are and recoil. It makes my job of getting people to not vote for lovely Dems all the easier. Remove Bernie from every primary going forward, bar all his people down to rando staffers from ever working with the party ever again, put oil tycoons and the worst scum of multiple generations in charge of the campaign, let Bloomberg just buy it outright, let people see what free market liberalism becomes in a crisis and let them try to figure out how it's different than what the Cheeto Benito covfefe is

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you know i have actually been convinced after looking at it that pulling bernie off the ballot stinks in NY and hopefully that does get reversed

i'm quite sure it's a cuomo special, considering he's a corrupt rear end in a top hat, and is primarily geared towards manipulating the state/local primaries though (previously, those were specifically held on a different day in order to avoid presidential primary voter turnout from affecting them)

he is probably still a little peeved about his IDC friends getting the boot

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

evilweasel posted:

you know i have actually been convinced after looking at it that pulling bernie off the ballot stinks in NY and hopefully that does get reversed

i'm quite sure it's a cuomo special, considering he's a corrupt rear end in a top hat, and is primarily geared towards manipulating the state/local primaries though (previously, those were specifically held on a different day in order to avoid presidential primary voter turnout from affecting them)

he is probably still a little peeved about his IDC friends getting the boot

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

evilweasel posted:

no, he might not. there's no comparison. that's why i arrive at the conclusion i did: it is not possible to arrive at the idea that biden might be worse than trump. it requires motivated reasoning. perhaps it wasn't your motivated reasoning: perhaps you marinated in the anti-biden specific stuff and came to believe this even though it's laughably untrue and pete/warren/amy just all were out early enough that nobody's been really keeping the heat on those particular fires.

but the idea that biden might be worse than trump on a policy axis is just nuts. that's all there is to it. people have made clear that is a preposition they will not reconsider. it's not a preposition people reasoned themselves into, because there's just no way to get there from here. it's a position people settled on as a justification for what they'd already decided to do.

Trump's 'policies' are to advance himself at every turn. He says inflammatory poo poo mostly because it draws a crowd. I literally don't think Trump is capable of some of the same types of harm that Biden is or is capable of normalizing that harm in the same way because Trump is a flailing narcissist. Biden has demonstrated a dedication to his regressive schtick. Both are incredibly harmful, but communicate and prosecute that harm differently. Trump leaves seats vacant and appoints advisors based on vanity and grift; based on his prior political history and the way he is operating his campaign, it's not unreasonable to conclude that Biden will instead seat regressive voices that will take a more active role in dismantling social welfare, because that's what Biden has done throughout his career. It is also not a coincidence that the same man that helped incarcerate and disenfranchise a large proportion of non-white people in the US also opposed bussing and eulogized Strom Thurmond. That he is not loud and clumsy in his destructive rampage does not excuse his actions or give me reason to think he has reconsidered them. Either of them seems likely to start a war in the next four years for little or no reason at all, admittedly, so that point seems a bit of a wash.

evilweasel posted:

i would certainly evaluate someone who wound up there through that logic differently, but i think i have seen exactly one post saying that was the reason. everyone else has been firmly "no joe!" well before, and what they choose to talk about when illustrating their reasons show where their emphasis is.

You can look back in this and the protest voting thread, if you really wished, and have seen how I agonized over this decision, if you please. You can reduce every step I took along my thought process as 'motivated thinking', if you wish. You could dismiss my change of mind on the utility of protest voting as insincere. You may continue to completely ignore the material harm of Biden's career as well. I don't think I can persuade you of the utility or groundedness of my decision, but I assure you it was not arrived at trivially.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

You’re aware of the arguments and are going to do what you want. Even Nathan Robinson has written that “Biden must win” against Trump, so I’m sure you know exactly what the leftist positions for and against are.

Oh, the dude who looks like he drinks mint Julips on his plantation porch. How's your antifascist work going? Every 4 years at the ballot box?

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yronic heroism posted:

We deserve a president who is not Trump.

No. You don't.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
welp

John Wick of Dogs posted:

https://twitter.com/RichMcHugh/status/1254811933531934721?s=19

More corroboration from a person who was Reade's neighbor

and she's backing the rape allegation, not 'just' the harassment/retaliation/firing allegations

edit: shady amish terror, i read your moral ponderings and i think you're alright :3:

double edit lol looks like i was real efb at the tweet too

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Wow guys, I don't know about this "Biden" character. Somebody should tell the DNC so that they can take the appropriate action.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But Cuomo was the lesser of two evils. He can't be bad.

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Everyone knows that old saying, vote for the lesser rapist

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i got owned posted:

Everyone knows that old saying, vote for the lesser rapist

In the NY Gubernatorial race it was "vote for the lesser goomba"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Probably a good time to remind everybody that the go-to for years for MeToo PR support and various other Dem machine functions, SKD Knickerbocker, is literally owned by a Republican pal of Trump, which means he has access to everything they've got. This is a big consideration considering that it's been revealed to be a catch and kill operation to protect prominent Dems since at least the Franken thing. They're the reason nobody found out about this a year+ ago

The GOP is almost certainly sitting on a mountain of stuff to run against Biden that will all lead back to the central issue Trump will hammer on - "They support all the stuff I'm doing and always have, they're just mad that it's me doing it and not them"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Your ideology -- liberalism -- is an idealist one as superstitious as that of a creationist, promising the political equivalent of faith healing. Many liberals believe somewhere deep down that Trump will win again, but they don't have an explanation other than dark forces, Russian meddling, or aforementioned Fox News brainwashing. Rather than liberalism (and the elections which ratify it) being responsible for a system of exploitation which the white middle classes require to maintain their own position, and which even benefited many of the "white trash."

Think about the people out protesting the lockdowns right now. While some are fools, you'll find a disproportionate number of owners of various businesses, car dealers, landlords, and real-estate brokers who are being materially harmed by the lockdowns and want them to end. What Fox News provides by saying the virus is overblown is an alibi. Sure, the people repeating that line often really believe it -- or at least convince themselves of it -- but they wouldn't be repeating it if it weren't in their interest to do so, like any criminal repeating an alibi to cover up the initial crime.

Anyways, recriminations over the doomed election is probably not a great use of a time, compared to just accepting that Donald Trump is going to win the election again, so now what?

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yronic heroism posted:

Oh my God. Nathan said that!? Nathan? Are you sure?

This changes everything!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

Probably a good time to remind everybody that the go-to for years for MeToo PR support and various other Dem machine functions, SKD Knickerbocker, is literally owned by a Republican pal of Trump, which means he has access to everything they've got. This is a big consideration considering that it's been revealed to be a catch and kill operation to protect prominent Dems since at least the Franken thing. They're the reason nobody found out about this a year+ ago

The GOP is almost certainly sitting on a mountain of stuff to run against Biden that will all lead back to the central issue Trump will hammer on - "They support all the stuff I'm doing and always have, they're just mad that it's me doing it and not them"

A partner at SKDKnickerbocker is also involved with the Biden campaign.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, this is what's coming out before the oppo dump. This is Biden unvetted (ignoring all the red flags from his first 3 attempts which don't count for some reason)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If the concern is that risk of death or injury make a voting process undemocratic then it makes sense that also cancelling the voting process entirely still makes the voting process undemocratic.

Its pretty simple really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Libs have literally given up on good will towards other people, hope, any and all moral standards, and the basic idea of not hating rape victims. Trumps taken basically everything from them. Even if Trump loses to Biden the damage here is massive.

There's no switch that gets flipped where Biden wins, dems control every section of government, and the news media is 90% puff pieces about how dumb republicans are. Im not saying they're literally the same, but acting like getting rid of Trump suddenly removes the damage he's done is moronic.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh, the dude who looks like he drinks mint Julips on his plantation porch.

I’m sorry he’s not the classic neckbeard with the podcast and trust fund you’d prefer but it’s really a cosmetic difference.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What a lovely party

https://twitter.com/emilyngo/status/1254803712033390594?s=21

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mekchu posted:

A partner at SKDKnickerbocker is also involved with the Biden campaign.

that's Dunn, who also did pro bono work helping with Weinstein coverups!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endorph posted:

Libs have literally given up on good will towards other people, hope, any and all moral standards, and the basic idea of not hating rape victims. Trumps taken basically everything from them. Even if Trump loses to Biden the damage here is massive.

There's no switch that gets flipped where Biden wins, dems control every section of government, and the news media is 90% puff pieces about how dumb republicans are. Im not saying they're literally the same, but acting like getting rid of Trump suddenly removes the damage he's done is moronic.

there is literally nobody who believes getting trump out of office magically fixes the damage he's done. hell, given that he will certainly react to a loss by immediately starting up a campaign for 2024 that will feature, as before, racist incitement, getting trump out of office will not even stop him from doing more damage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/GovJVentura/status/1254783040594702338?s=20

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

To me there seems to be 3 positions on Biden:

1. Biden's family of corruption, heinous personal acts, and support for policies that will do great evil and potentially doom this nation are too much for you to be willing to support him.

2. Biden's family of corruption, heinous personal acts, and support for policies that will do great evil and potentially doom this nation aren't too much but there exist theoretical actions, policies, or beliefs that are too heinous for you to be willing to support him.

3. Biden's family of corruption, heinous personal acts, and support for policies that will do great evil and potentially doom this nation aren't too much and there exist no action so heinous for you to be willing to stop supporting him.

I think a segment of this thread are like myself in category #1. I think some people are in #2 and some in #3.

I think that the value difference between #1 and #3 is so vast that there is little ground for agreement. I think because of the ghoulishness of the argument, few people who are #3 are willing to argue to the #2 people that they're wrong on moral grounds.

So the main space for discourse on Biden is centered around a debate over where to draw the line on heinous personal acts, histories of corruption, and support for bad policies when selecting, endorsing, and supporting a leader.

That's why it is a reasonable question to ask someone who supports Biden where they draw the line, and if it would ever be possible for something corrupt, heinous, or evil Biden did or supported to make them change their mind.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 27, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

I’m sorry he’s not the classic neckbeard with the podcast and trust fund you’d prefer but it’s really a cosmetic difference.

So how's your antifa work going? Ever going to expound or just be a smug ghoul talking about how adult they are for making the hard choice and voting for the lesser evil rapist.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Epic High Five posted:

Whelp, it's gonna get bad in October. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

evilweasel posted:

there is literally nobody who believes getting trump out of office magically fixes the damage he's done.
Read the replies to any tweet about the reade accusations