Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

goblin week posted:

Kim Jong Undead sounds like a good movie premise.

Weekend at Jongie's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

McSpanky posted:

Weekend at Jongie's

Weekend at Jongies II.

But instead of Calypso music that makes him walk, it's BTS.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ayo so I wanna get some of those mint matcha/peach oolong oreos, I'm seeing one buyer on ebay from qingdao china with 100% feedback

is this a bad idea or the best idea?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bum the Sad posted:

Nah, anesthesia produces a deep Non-REM comatose like state. You can do most any eye surgery under general, it's just why risk it when its completely not necessary, the eye is pretty easy to numb. The only time I've ever done general anesthesia for eyeball surgery is for like developmentally delayed folk and combative olds.

Yeah, the eye itself cannot feel pain.

I had a detached retina after a car accident and they had to take samples of my eye fluid which involved sticking a needle into my eye.

It sounds horrific, but I didn't feel anything unless I blinked, at which point I could feel the metal of the needle between my two eyelids.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

China can relax, as it is no longer the cause of COVID-19. Just as the unnamed country can also breathe a sigh of relief, as it is also not to blame.

It turns out it is all the fault of muslims. Or so says Indian Cabinet Minister.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...9PsEzagWoBDG8vU

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I think this is a compromise we van all get behind.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

uguu posted:

Specifically an organ removal van.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

uguu posted:

Don't tell me what I van or vannot do!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
good luck getting treated for your corona when you live in a VAN down by the GANGES

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

Nah, anesthesia produces a deep Non-REM comatose like state. You can do most any eye surgery under general, it's just why risk it when its completely not necessary, the eye is pretty easy to numb. The only time I've ever done general anesthesia for eyeball surgery is for like developmentally delayed folk and combative olds.

I use tetracaine drops when I have to get metal shavings out of eyeballs and that poo poo is like magic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

good luck getting treated for your corona when you live on a elePHANt down by the GANGES

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Weekend at Jongies II.

But instead of Calypso music that makes him walk, it's BTS.

Weekend at Jongies Il

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am more worried as to what is in the Ganges than corona.

:lol: locked by twitter.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lululemon Staffer's 'Bat Fried Rice' T-Shirt Insults China

https://twitter.com/balleralert/status/1252681274751250432?s=20

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Canada just can't catch a break.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exmachina posted:

Weekend at Jongies Il

real ogs will joke that kim jong un is dead but kim il sung is still alive

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Blistex posted:

It's the space under my massive panis. The sweat is aged for 77 days in the 28 year old underwear that's fused to my skin. It's skintag and pube filtered to give you a woody, smooth taste with just a hint of mushrooms.

!!!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
India is a little bit more on the ball with China.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52451455

quote:

Soon after however, states began complaining that the kits had an accuracy rate of only 5%, adding that they had used the kits on patients who they already knew were positive, but the tests had shown a "negative" result for antibodies.

The test kits then also failed quality checks by the ICMR.

On Monday, the issue was further complicated after the Delhi high court capped the price of the tests and suggested that the government had overpaid.

However, officials have told local media that the government will "not lose a single rupee" from cancelling the order kits as they had not paid the amount in advance, and had cancelled the entire shipment.

:qq:

quote:

"The quality of medical products exported from China is prioritised. It is unfair and irresponsible for certain individuals to label Chinese products as 'faulty' and look at issues with pre-emptive prejudice," Chinese embassy spokesperson Ji Rong said in a statement issued on Tuesday.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Here's a thought:

Whilst I'm sure a lot of the blame can be put down to CCP/factory owners malice and incompetence.

But perhaps part of the reason China is exporting substandard medical equipment is that this equipment was made rushed, in newly opened factories by forced labourunskilled Uighurs bussed in from their "training centres" whilst the workers who would be making them are kept at home for their own safety.

I mean, there's no reason it can't be both also.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

all the good poo poo had "help, stuck in Xinjiang re-education factory!" written on it

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did coronachat completely overshadow Luckin faking their numbers?

BBC News - Luckin Coffee: Scandal-hit chain raided by regulators in China
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52438399

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

It was definitely discussed in one of the China threads way back when the news first surfaced, but I can't remember if it was late Jan/early Feb when anonymous reports first started about their sales figures being entirely bullshit or if it was early April when it was confirmed by the company themselves. Feels like a while back so I think we hit it during Feb.

Nobody was at all surprised as I recall.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

It was definitely discussed in one of the China threads way back when the news first surfaced, but I can't remember if it was late Jan/early Feb when anonymous reports first started about their sales figures being entirely bullshit or if it was early April when it was confirmed by the company themselves. Feels like a while back so I think we hit it during Feb.

Nobody was at all surprised as I recall.

I’m sure the party members who dropped the hammer were

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Actually I looked at China threads and couldn't see it so who knows. I definitely talked about it with various friends because lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shumagorath posted:

Pretty sure it was 2 threads ago, and anyone who had actually tired the coffee or knew someone who did was not surprised at all by the numbers apparently being fudged. The general consensus was that even after adding enough cream and sugar that the volume had increased 100%, it was still undrinkable.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Chinese company committing fraud? Surely not.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a thought:

Whilst I'm sure a lot of the blame can be put down to CCP/factory owners malice and incompetence.

But perhaps part of the reason China is exporting substandard medical equipment is that this equipment was made rushed, in newly opened factories by forced labourunskilled Uighurs bussed in from their "training centres" whilst the workers who would be making them are kept at home for their own safety.

I mean, there's no reason it can't be both also.

At 5% monkeys doing QA would have caught it. It's malice as there is no way they weren't aware and it didn't matter where you get it including poo poo they "Gifted". The element of awareness makes it intentional thus malice.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Blistex posted:

Pretty sure it was 2 threads ago, and anyone who had actually tired the coffee or knew someone who did was not surprised at all by the numbers apparently being fudged. The general consensus was that even after adding enough cream and sugar that the volume had increased 100%, it was still undrinkable.

There was some news about it really recently, I swear it would have been early in this thread. But it could have been late last thread too.

I remember it because I remember very clearly thinking 'good, gently caress Luckin', loving hate that poo poo. Worst coffee I had in my life, and I figured that out before I had heard how bad everyone else thinks their coffee is. I can handle bad coffee but my God Luckin is rear end coffee.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

oohhboy posted:

A Chinese company committing fraud? Surely not.

At 5% monkeys doing QA would have caught it. It's malice as there is no way they weren't aware and it didn't matter where you get it including poo poo they "Gifted". The element of awareness makes it intentional thus malice.

I would assume incompetence/neglect over malice.

Because what does China gain by sending inferior botched poo poo as aid? Especially as that aid has big "This is from China! Look how good we are!" written on the boxes and written large in publicity. They can only lose by sending the shoddy equipment. And indeed have lost a fucktonne of face, and trust and confidence in the eyes of the global community.

That's why I assume it is due to lazy, corrupt and incompetent factory workers/managers/practices rather than a malicious "Haha take that foreigners, you get poo poo, and only two boxes of it. Suck it."

On that: do you think the Chinese offiocials/embassy staff in Syria that went to greet the plane full of medical supplies to get a photo op knew that it would only be two little boxes? Coz if so, why agree to take that humiliating photo?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Yeah, unquestionably the person who signed off on the lovely-quality aid actually being dispatched must have believed it to be of OK quality, because they are almost certainly hosed right now.

The malice will have come from somewhere further down, because "gently caress that guy and gently caress the end users, money now."

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

To put it succinctly: no one in the decision-making chain wants to be the bearer of bad news. So things progress until you end up with a picture of two soggy boxes on a tarmac surrounded by guys who, even in the midst of a civil war, manage to look disappointed.

There are plenty of people who are aware it's poo poo, but their experience has taught them it's better to pass along the poo poo than say something to raise attention to the problem, because the social repercussions for that are worse.

It's not an active malice, nobody plans to send out two lovely boxes, but end up doing that anyways.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

To be clear, that's because the splittist rebel regime on the mainland blows.

Taiwan #1

That's the Vatican city flag, the Pope now prays to Taipei.

Safety elbows!

They are even sending aid to developing countries:

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
Isn’t it worse if it’s due to incompetence?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Fwiw, Luckin' or whatever was almost certainly this thread and it was pretty recently because I know about it from SA and I only started reading this thread somewhat recently.

I've been dating another foreigner here in Korea recently. She doesn't speak any Korean at all except some very basic phrases such as "I don't speak Korean." The problem is she's Asian.

So every single time we have to talk to a Korean, I say something to the Korean in Korean, then the Korean turns to her to talk.

She tells them she doesn't speak Korean. I tell them she doesn't speak Korean. I tell them she is not Korean. She says she is not Korean. The Korean person is completely unphased by this information and continues to respond to me by talking to her.

Every single time.

At first it was funny, but much like being asked if you can use chopsticks, it gets annoying when you have to begin every conversation with this explanation that still gets you no where.

:bang:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shadow0 posted:

I've been dating another foreigner here in Korea recently. She doesn't speak any Korean at all except some very basic phrases such as "I don't speak Korean." The problem is she's Asian.

So every single time we have to talk to a Korean, I say something to the Korean in Korean, then the Korean turns to her to talk.

She tells them she doesn't speak Korean. I tell them she doesn't speak Korean. I tell them she is not Korean. She says she is not Korean. The Korean person is completely unphased by this information and continues to respond to me by talking to her.

Every single time.

:bang:

Yep. This was my life every time I went out with one of my Chinese friends in Korea. It will never end, get used to it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. This was my life every time I went out with one of my Chinese friends in Korea. It will never end, get used to it.

Hey! That was me every time I went out with my Chinese girlfriend (now wife) who everyone in Korea thought was Korean.

I wasn't fluent, or even approaching fluent, but every time we dined out it felt like this. . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLt5qSm9U80

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have heard mixed feedback on how accurate this is for Japan, but it is 1000% correct for Korea.

For Chengdu it's maybe like 5%, very refreshing how people there would just... talk to you as if you existed.

E: Remembered a couple of "But he's speaking Chinese" conversations. Rare though!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I think I might try making a card.

It's still better than Japan. I only had one Korean person have their brain shutdown at the sight of me. While Japan had a lot more "But I'm speaking Japanese!" moments even when I was on my own.

Yeah, I was gonna post this too, haha.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I have heard mixed feedback on how accurate this is for Japan, but it is 1000% correct for Korea.

For Chengdu it's maybe like 5%, very refreshing how people there would just... talk to you as if you existed.

E: Remembered a couple of "But he's speaking Chinese" conversations. Rare though!

(in Korea) If I was alone, I had a 90% chance of being acknowledged on the first attempt that I was in fact speaking Korean. As soon as I was out with a Chinese or Japanese teacher, that dropped to 10%, and they would look at the Asian lady I was with and deduce that she was doing a masterful ventriloquist act. I once asked a ticket taker in Uijeongbu for a fare to Jihaeng Station (6 stops away) and she just stared at me. I asked another 4 times and the several people behind me were shouting "He's asking to go to Jihaeng". She replied that she didn't speak English, and someone shouted, "Auntie, he's speaking Korean".

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

It will always be that way, if you ever find yourself adjusted to it what's actually happened is you've gone crazy and are now past the westerner best-before date in Asia.

I think the way around though is to find someone who's from the traditional "those fuckers" counterpart to the country you're in. Then somehow people know instantly where they're from. Never been to Korea, but next time say she's Japanese and do a trip report. Definitely worked in Vietnam with a Chinese friend.

The other way around it is to date a blonde California girl who speaks perfect Chinese with a fancy accent, because the look on people's faces then absolutely never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

(in Korea) If I was alone, I had a 90% chance of being acknowledged on the first attempt that I was in fact speaking Korean. As soon as I was out with a Chinese or Japanese teacher, that dropped to 10%, and they would look at the Asian lady I was with and deduce that she was doing a masterful ventriloquist act. I once asked a ticket taker in Uijeongbu for a fare to Jihaeng Station (6 stops away) and she just stared at me. I asked another 4 times and the several people behind me were shouting "He's asking to go to Jihaeng". She replied that she didn't speak English, and someone shouted, "Auntie, he's speaking Korean".

I spend a lot of time successfully speaking to Koreans on my own. Almost too successfully.

Two days ago, we needed to get on a bus, and this woman decided to strike up a conversation at the bus stop and then continue it on the bus about Trump, Obama, foreigners, and I'm not sure what else, that lasted 30 minutes until we finally got off. I only understood maybe 2% of it, but she just kept going. And there was another person that same day that did the same thing.

I stopped going to my locale convenience store because whenever I went in, the guy would talk to me about the KGB at extreme length. He forced a friend of mine to watch a YouTube video about the KGB when he went in to get some cigarettes.

It's amazing how these people can have conversations all on their own and are completely unphased when they ask a question and I give a nonsense answer.

It's funny but the better I got at Korean, the less I got scolded for never using polite language. Plain language 4 life. 😎

For some reason, Koreans are a lot more strict than the Japanese about polite language. Maybe because the Japanese just don't expect me to be capable of Japanese at all. Or maybe it's somehow anime's fault.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 29, 2020