Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Flying object which are unidentified have always been an official thing. Extraterrestrial spacecraft have never visited Earth

Yeah, that's very much a "Some nation's intelligence agency, possibly one of our own, has a very cool new toy drone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

Flying object which are unidentified have always been an official thing. Extraterrestrial spacecraft have never visited Earth

The President is uncovering everything.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Gonna disagree real hard on this. 99% of voters do not give a poo poo about the stock market, and nobody who is staring down financial annihilation is going to be enthused by a president who tells them "Actually you're doing great because NUMBER is HIGH!!!". Hell, it'll probably turn that sort of people against him.

rush has been pushing "see trump's economy is amazing look at the stock market!1!!!1" for trump's entire term. Of course his supporters will latch onto it and cheer (as they and their loved ones get fired and spiral into destitution)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/BrettLoGiurato/status/1254911766112370688

They suck

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1254916795263139840

Shutting down the U.S. Economy to own the libs!

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 28, 2020

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1254916795263139840

Shutting down the U.S. Economy to own the libs!

In a vacuum, Walmart going under would be a positive.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The hilarious part is that he admits that this stupid rear end legislation won't go anywhere without the Democrats

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, that's very much a "Some nation's intelligence agency, possibly one of our own, has a very cool new toy drone."

This NYT article is vague to the point that it seems to intentionally take things out of context, but it seems like the US investigation has ruled out another country doing it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html

quote:

“Internationally, we are the most backward country in the world on this issue,” Mr. Bigelow said in an interview. “Our scientists are scared of being ostracized, and our media is scared of the stigma. China and Russia are much more open and work on this with huge organizations within their countries. Smaller countries like Belgium, France, England and South American countries like Chile are more open, too. They are proactive and willing to discuss this topic, rather than being held back by a juvenile taboo.”

By 2009, Mr. Reid decided that the program had made such extraordinary discoveries that he argued for heightened security to protect it. “Much progress has been made with the identification of several highly sensitive, unconventional aerospace-related findings,” Mr. Reid said in a letter to William Lynn III, a deputy defense secretary at the time, requesting that it be designated a “restricted special access program” limited to a few listed officials.
A 2009 Pentagon briefing summary of the program prepared by its director at the time asserted that “what was considered science fiction is now science fact,” and that the United States was incapable of defending itself against some of the technologies discovered. Mr. Reid’s request for the special designation was denied.

I guess the “incapable of defending itself against some of the technologies discovered” could be in reference to other countries’ spy poo poo (or things developed by the US military) but the article makes it sound like the nations of the world are trying to figure out how some single non-state actor keeps flying nice drones into their poo poo.

But America can be really dumb about unidentifiable things, like that “sonic weapon” that was giving American diplomats in Cuba brain damage but was probably some kind of fungus or disease they caught.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s not aliens because that’s silly, but the military has been more open about acknowledging that the US is having its airspace entered by aircraft that it can’t identify and is confident aren’t from a country. The NYT did a big story on it a few years ago. The senate appropriated funding for a vault to store everything recovered from encounters with these aircraft and was in charge of efforts to identify whatever it is.

It can’t be anything mindblowing because Trump would have tweeted about it if there was a supervillain or aliens or something.

This is a documentary produced by/featuring over a dozen members of the military who were involved in some way with the "Tic-Tac" UFO incident. (Pilots, radar operators, etc)

According to the people who were direct witnesses- its clearly aliens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRgoisHRmUE

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 28, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

But America can be really dumb about unidentifiable things, like that “sonic weapon” that was giving American diplomats in Cuba brain damage but was probably some kind of fungus or disease they caught.

I guess the current theory is that someone is incidentally microwaving the building as part of a surveillance operation.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Isn’t Walmart the worlds largest non government employer? Not saying that they should be treated as too big to fail but them just tanking overnight would introduce problems.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Isn’t Walmart the worlds largest non government employer? Not saying that they should be treated as too big to fail but them just tanking overnight would introduce problems.

nonsense what harm could putting 2.2 million people out on the street possibly do

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It is literally impossible that anyone has built a new form of propulsion more advanced than jet engines,

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Is... is he trying to say Sephiroth? Did Barron try to show him his new copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake and it melted his goo brain even more than usual?

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Willo567 posted:

The hilarious part is that he admits that this stupid rear end legislation won't go anywhere without the Democrats

Nah, he's just trying to invent more reasons to blame dems for poo poo, so here's "They're not racist enough against the yellow peril" attempt number... 3? 4, maybe?

If this bill actually had the potential to go anywhere, though, walmart and friends would shut it down quick.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It is literally impossible that anyone has built a new form of propulsion more advanced than jet engines,

I mean.....

It's quite true that any form of interstellar travel is quite impossible under our current understanding of physics, however, our current understanding of physics is deeply flawed and we know it, we just don't have anything better. Everything we know about physics is derived from the standard model, and while the standard model is really really good at predicting all kinds of interactions that are useful for us, it can only explain three of the four primary forces of the universe. (Gravity cannot be accounted for by the standard model)

For this and several other reasons it's believed that the standard model is probably wrong in some way, which means a whole lot of our assumptions about physics are also wrong, we just don't have anything better yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGS2aWUKZ38

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 28, 2020

Undocumented Gamer
Jan 9, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

Is... is he trying to say Sephiroth? Did Barron try to show him his new copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake and it melted his goo brain even more than usual?

Holy poo poo. Trump has had mako poisoning the entire time!? It all makes sense!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/DavidJBradley1/status/1254404684258914307

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

His supporters would eat dog poo poo if he told them to.

Many are saying it cures china flu covid-19, what have you got to lose!

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

nine-gear crow posted:

I can make out Becton Dickenson and OLogic, the other one is ... Sephipfeff Zephyhide? I don't know who Sephipfeff is, but I bet she'd do a better job than this rear end in a top hat.

Prester Jane posted:

It's quite true that any form of interstellar travel is quite impossible under our current understanding of physics, however, our current understanding of physics is deeply flawed and we know it, we just don't have anything better. Everything we know about physics is derived from the standard bottle, and while the standard model is really really good at predicting all kinds of interactions that are useful for us, it can only explain three of the four primary forces of the universe. (Gravity cannot be accounted for by the standard model)

It's entirely possible that there's applications to science that we're not currently aware of, but I can't think of any rational reason for aliens to hang out here and not vaporize us. We suck, and even something with no context or understanding of our existence would realize that. :colbert:

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
UFOs are just the souls of the illuminati moving back and forth between their Republican and Democrat host bodies.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Nah, he's just trying to invent more reasons to blame dems for poo poo, so here's "They're not racist enough against the yellow peril" attempt number... 3? 4, maybe?

If this bill actually had the potential to go anywhere, though, walmart and friends would shut it down quick.

It that and to placate his base so that they stop asking him when he'll be investigating Biden

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ershalim posted:

It's entirely possible that there's applications to science that we're not currently aware of, but I can't think of any rational reason for aliens to hang out here and not vaporize us. We suck, and even something with no context or understanding of our existence would realize that. :colbert:

I mean when we see ant colonies duking it out do we start trying to figure out which group of ants is the morally correct one, or we just make a few measurements/take a few specimens and call it a day?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Prester Jane posted:

I mean when we see ant colonies duking it out do we start trying to figure out which group of ants is the morally correct one, or we just make a few measurements/take a few specimens and call it a day?

Yeah, why interact with your specimens and skew your data?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Prester Jane posted:

Ohhh, so you think the aliens are potentially like weird hobbyists who travel unbelievably far distances to remote regions to film and narrate to the people at home. Here I was thinking like an organized kind of thing, but we've got voyeurs and Jane Goodalls hanging out mischaracterizing us as noble and poo poo? Interesting.

e: speaking of Wal-Mart, it's lovely as hell, but aside from being the main employer in a lot of states, it also functions as the only source of fresh produce in a lot of low-income areas (largely because it forced all the competitors out with its awful business practices).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When you look back at the declassified documents from the Cold War, there was a bunch of stuff in there about how the US military/intelligence apparatus deliberately fed false information to UFO groups to keep them thinking that the things they were seeing in Nevada and near military installations were alien craft, when in reality they were new tech that was extremely classified like the F-117, B-2, and the drone projects.

As much as I would like to believe in UFOs, none of the evidence I've ever seen has been something astounding. The videos that were released have some weird things in them, but it's very likely that what was shown was some weird classified tech that a handful of people are aware of. Or something another country developed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Huh. All the other ones are health insurance companies. I wonder why universal healthcare can't get anywhere in this country.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1254912665421582337

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1254913371843039241

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1254913923683422208

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Denver International Airport stands out as an oddity.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Prester Jane posted:

I mean.....

Everything we know about physics is derived from the standard bottle

you edited it, but I though it was funny

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ershalim posted:

Ohhh, so you think the aliens are potentially like weird hobbyists who travel unbelievably far distances to remote regions to film and narrate to the people at home. Here I was thinking like an organized kind of thing, but we've got voyeurs and Jane Goodalls hanging out mischaracterizing us as noble and poo poo? Interesting.

Sometimes they implant a few of us with cameras so that alien David Attenborough can narrate panoramic documentaries about our tiny little lives.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I know imagining aliens exist can be scary, but that all countries so far have yet to figure out what they are and the ones that encountered found it unlike technology on earth is quite obvious.
What is wrong with Americans that they would rather believe in santa Claus than we are not alone in the universe?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Or more likely weather phenomena like ball lightning, which was reported in the area of where at least one of these videos at the time it was recorded. There's also YouTube breakdowns on these doing the trig using the provided info (recording jet's speed, attitude, etc.) and determining the object in question wasn't moving nearly as fast as it appears.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Celexi posted:

I know imagining aliens exist can be scary, but that all countries so far have yet to figure out what they are and the ones that encountered found it unlike technology on earth is quite obvious.
What is wrong with Americans that they would rather believe in santa Claus than we are not alone in the universe?

Sincere answer: American culture has genuinely not psychologically prepared Americans for anyone other than America to be the center of the universe.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

FlamingLiberal posted:

When you look back at the declassified documents from the Cold War, there was a bunch of stuff in there about how the US military/intelligence apparatus deliberately fed false information to UFO groups to keep them thinking that the things they were seeing in Nevada and near military installations were alien craft, when in reality they were new tech that was extremely classified like the F-117, B-2, and the drone projects.

As much as I would like to believe in UFOs, none of the evidence I've ever seen has been something astounding. The videos that were released have some weird things in them, but it's very likely that what was shown was some weird classified tech that a handful of people are aware of. Or something another country developed.

I think the best proof that UFOs don't exist is that back in the 90s every hillbilly and their uncle had grainy footage of... something in the sky. Then suddenly when everyone had a high tech camera in their pocket at all times those videos just stopped.

Celexi posted:

Personally I would love to meet aliens and I'm sure they exist in the universe, but I'm doubtful they're doing drive-bys in the Earth's sky for the last 70 years without any serious proof.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 28, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sounds like Prison Paul needs to shotgun another handful of his turbo soy blackout brainshit pills to come up with some better zingers to scream at Piers Morgan's Twitter block screen because those ones are just :sad:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

you think these ghouls secretly knew how bad it would be? i know trumps too dumb and narcissistic but i am sure these ghouls suspected.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

This NYT article is vague to the point that it seems to intentionally take things out of context, but it seems like the US investigation has ruled out another country doing it:
That's... not something you can determine? Like, by definition? "We don't know what it is, but we definitely know where it didn't come from."

TyrantWD posted:

Denver International Airport stands out as an oddity.
And not just because it's shaped like a swastika, for once*.

I'm marveling that the University of Wisconsin is bigger than Walmart.

*Yes, I know it's no longer shaped like a swastika because they added a bit. Don't @ me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Short term Walmart going out of business would be bad. Medium and Long term it would actually be a boon to the country and economy as we know it. Walmart decimates the local economies of the cities and towns it is in. Where a town might have a a dozen shops that cover most if not all of what Walmart provides, when Walmart comes in it purposely puts those stores out of business with a mixture of price fixing, strong arming localities in giving it favorable deals and the hardest to combat; convenience.

Walmart comes in, puts all of it's competition out of business by having artificially low prices and taking a loss, while either not paying taxes at all or significantly lower percentage. After five years you went from 2-300 decent paying jobs to the 76-94 minimum wage many part time jobs. Then Walmart wants a bigger tax break or they threaten to move outside of the city limits and often do anyway. I have seen it with my own eyes all over the country.

Eliminating Walmart would mean you would likely see small business grow again as people need things like food, clothing, etc. Especially in rural America this would be huge as the income of the communities would stay in their communities and be reinvested instead of getting sucked out to the Walton family.

This stuff is why the whole "too big to fail" argument just doesn't hold any water for me. You are going to tell me if Walmart goes out of business someone is going to open grocery or department stores? If one of these massive banks goes under that you aren't going to see local community banks and/or credit unions take the slack? If an airline goes under that someone isn't going to start a new one? It is all bullshit put out by the wealthy so they don't have to deal with the ramifications of their own actions.