Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LabyaMynora posted:

They needed a solid WR2, an ILB or two, someone to replace Belaga at OT, and some help on defense when it comes to stopping the run up the middle.

Looking at the draft grades, and my own gut reactions in the moment (literally yelled "WHAT THE gently caress" at the TV for both picks), it's hard to see this as some super genius 11th-dimensional chess move. Either Gute and LaFleur are wrong, or literally everybody else is wrong. We'll see.

You got me thinking. I've been banging the drum for awhile now that you can't rely on rookies to fill immediate needs since they take time to develop. Judging from Gutekunst's past three free agencies and drafts, I feel safe presuming that he agrees. Consider the following:

quote:

2018: Immediate holes at DE, TE, and CB, and a major upcoming hole at WR with Nelson's departure and the front office likely already knowing this would be Cobb's final season with the team.
2018 Free Agency: DE Muhammad Wilkerson, TE Jimmy Graham, CBs Bashaud Breeland and Tramon Williams.
2018 Draft: Premium picks spent on CB and shotgunning WR with three in rounds 4, 5, 6.

2019: Immediate holes at EDGE and S, with upcoming holes at guard and tight end with Lane Taylor likely not getting a third contract and the Jimmy Graham experiment not working out.
2019 Free Agency: LBs Preston & Za'Darius Smith, S Adrian Amos.
2019 Draft: Premium picks spent on DE and S, and the next two picks at interior offensive line and tight end.

2020: Immediate holes at ILB, OT, and WR, with upcoming holes at QB (notably, preparing a couple years earlier than usual -- it's up in the air whether you think this is because Jordan Love is "their guy", because it takes a bit longer for QB to develop than other positions, or because the front office panicked in a bad position at the end of the first and reached) and RB (at least one of Jones/Williams will not be resigned).
2020 Free Agency: ILB Christian Kirksey, OT Rick Wagner, WR Devin Funchess.
2020 Draft: Premium picks spent on QB and RB.

From Gutekunst's history, I think it's clear that he fills immediate holes through free agency, while using the draft to prepare for the future. It's obvious as day with Rashan Gary, but with Jaire Alexander and Darnell Savage they ended up being good enough to pretty much immediately start, but this seems to be the exception, not the rule. He also has a pattern of double-dipping, drafting the same positions he just spent money on in free agency, seemingly as insurance both against the free agent not working out and against the draft pick not working out: Alexander showing up so early on in his career seems to have been a major factor in the team not retaining Breeland.

I think people who are upset with the Packers draft are really more upset with the perceived quality of Gute's free agency signings this year (Kirksey has a bad injury history, Wagner hasn't flashed anything beyond mediocrity, Funchess had the one good season and that's it). If, hypothetically, the Packers had somehow been able to trade for OBJ and sign, I don't know, Kyle Van Noy??? then I think people would've been much less consterned with Love and Dillon.

You'll notice that in my frequent posts about this draft I haven't actually said whether or not it's a good draft -- just that it makes sense, it's in line with Gutekunst's history of decisions. I don't think we can evaluate whether or not it's a good draft for at least another couple seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I mean obviously it takes 2-3 years to evaluate how a draft actually went, but generally speaking picks in the 1st 2 rounds can be expected to be immediate contributors to a team.

There are plenty of players in every draft that play a significant number of snaps and do an above average job. They might not have hit their ceiling, but they can easily produce above replacement level

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OxySnake posted:

I mean obviously it takes 2-3 years to evaluate how a draft actually went, but generally speaking picks in the 1st 2 rounds can be expected to be immediate contributors to a team.

There are plenty of players in every draft that play a significant number of snaps and do an above average job. They might not have hit their ceiling, but they can easily produce above replacement level

At #14 and #46, sure. At #30 and #62? Picking at the end of the first, you're already pretty much looking at second round talent.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

At #14 and #46, sure. At #30 and #62? Picking at the end of the first, you're already pretty much looking at second round talent.

Patrick Queen who will probably play significant snaps and do well will probably disprove this.

Just because your picking at the end of the first doesn't mean there arent good players who can contribute, especially in a draft that was considered as deep as this.

You got players like Tee Higgins, Denzel Mims, Trevon Diggs, Willie Gay, Michael Pittman etc. They are players that will probably play and contribute and they were taken in the 2nd round.

There are rookies that are raw and need time to work on their technique, knowledge etc. There are rookies that are pro ready now. You cant just write off that 2nd group especially just because it's the 2nd round.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OxySnake posted:

Patrick Queen who will probably play significant snaps and do well will probably disprove this.

Just because your picking at the end of the first doesn't mean there arent good players who can contribute, especially in a draft that was considered as deep as this.

You got players like Tee Higgins, Denzel Mims, Trevon Diggs, Willie Gay, Michael Pittman etc. They are players that will probably play and contribute and they were taken in the 2nd round.

There are rookies that are raw and need time to work on their technique, knowledge etc. There are rookies that are pro ready now. You cant just write off that 2nd group especially just because it's the 2nd round.

I would've been fine with Queen but we did have that discussion the previous week about how the Packers just simply don't value ILB whatsoever. I was hoping for Pittman as well but then the Love trade happened and the Colts took Pittman at the top of the first.

I do think Dillon will be able to contribute this season, though.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I would've been fine with Queen but we did have that discussion the previous week about how the Packers just simply don't value ILB whatsoever. I was hoping for Pittman as well but then the Love trade happened and the Colts took Pittman at the top of the first.

I do think Dillon will be able to contribute this season, though.

You can say it makes sense that they didnt take Queen because they dont value ILB, which seems foolish when teams are able to run all over them.

Like that can be their draft philosophy but if they are giving up almost 300 yards rushing in the NFCCG that seems like a bad philosophy.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
At the very least Dillon is most ready to contribute right away and we'll likely see him in 2 RB sets with Jones. RBs really don't need a lot of time at all to immediately start impacting the game, especially in comparison to most WRs who are rarely high impact players their first year or 2 unless they're a top first round talent pick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

OxySnake posted:

You can say it makes sense that they didnt take Queen because they dont value ILB, which seems foolish when teams are able to run all over them.

Like that can be their draft philosophy but if they are giving up almost 300 yards rushing in the NFCCG that seems like a bad philosophy.

Every team has one thing they do that makes no sense, the goal is to be good enough to get over it.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Every team has one thing they do that makes no sense, the goal is to be good enough to get over it.

Seeing an obvious deficiency and throwing up your hands seems like a bad idea imo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

OxySnake posted:

Seeing an obvious deficiency and throwing up your hands seems like a bad idea imo.

Yep doesn’t really stop em historically

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yep doesn’t really stop em historically

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401131045

:thunk:

Also that would also make sense that you want to turn games into a race to 40 points so teams cant just run and have to pass, if you then drafted a WR.

Ignoring the run, and then switching to a run heavy O seems to not make sense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OxySnake posted:

He didn't throw up his hands, though, he picked up Kirksey and Martin to cover that deficiency. Granted, I have very little faith that either of these two players are actually the answer, but the value spent ($6M/y, 5th round) is more or less in line with how much the franchise values that position.

If anything that Kirksey contract is the biggest ILB contract I've seen from the Packers since... I don't know? Does Clay's contract count for when he was playing ILB these two seasons? AJ Hawk's rookie contract?

edit: Kirksey is the 13th largest cap hit on the Packers for the 2020 season. Also it seems very likely Lane Taylor's gonna be a cap casualty, now that I'm looking at these numbers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

OxySnake posted:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401131045

:thunk:

Also that would also make sense that you want to turn games into a race to 40 points so teams cant just run and have to pass, if you then drafted a WR.

Ignoring the run, and then switching to a run heavy O seems to not make sense.

I think your confused on what I mean by doesn’t stop them

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think your confused on what I mean by doesn’t stop them

Ah yes I was.

SKULL.GIF posted:

He didn't throw up his hands, though, he picked up Kirksey and Martin to cover that deficiency. Granted, I have very little faith that either of these two players are actually the answer, but the value spent ($6M/y, 5th round) is more or less in line with how much the franchise values that position.

If anything that Kirksey contract is the biggest ILB contract I've seen from the Packers since... I don't know? Does Clay's contract count for when he was playing ILB these two seasons? AJ Hawk's rookie contract?

edit: Kirksey is the 13th largest cap hit on the Packers for the 2020 season. Also it seems very likely Lane Taylor's gonna be a cap casualty, now that I'm looking at these numbers.

Signing a LB who has been on the IR the last two seasons and a 5th round pick is about to as close to throwing up your hands as you could get.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 27, 2020

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

OxySnake posted:

If you are a true believer in the church of the forward pass, you probably figure that each run is 1-3 fewer yards per play than you could have gotten by passing.

As a rough analogy, layups have long been a bad play for the offense in the NBA. Even dunks are getting to be just break-even, points-per-possession wise.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

gaj70 posted:

If you are a true believer in the church of the forward pass, you probably figure that each run is 1-3 fewer yards per play than you could have gotten by passing.

As a rough analogy, layups have long been a bad play for the offense in the NBA. Even dunks are getting to be just break-even, points-per-possession wise.

Believing in the forward pass is heresy in TFF.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

OxySnake posted:

Believing in the forward pass is heresy in TFF.

None of this forward pass nonsense is establishing the run, so yes, heresy.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

OxySnake posted:

Ah yes I was.

Signing a LB who has been on the IR the last two seasons and a 5th round pick is about to as close to throwing up your hands as you could get.

They use safety / ILB hybrid players at ILB a lot. Players already on the roster. A bigger problem than ILB has been anyone on the line outside of Kenny Clark, where they're banking on development from players like Adams, Keke, Gary, etc. I wouldn't get hung up on ILB at all, and it's not throwing up their hands. They do not care about traditional ILBs in the scheme that's being run. It's way more subpackage heavy and plays a ton of DBs. Pettine is more concerned about stopping the pass.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i think it is the lack of an identifiable strategy that frustrates Packers fans

like yeah it would make sense for the packers to just try and become a beefier, more physical team, given the nature of their most recent playoff loss

but if they were doing that, you'd expect them to go OL earlier and probably pick up some beef (system fit aside) on defense

with the 2nd day picks, a new offensive lineman would just be a more premium investment than an RB or an H-back

even if that weren't already axiomatic in the current league, the 9ers would have proven it in that game, where they trampled the packers in historic fashion with a replacement-level RB whose salary was paid in peanut butter sandwiches

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

It confuses me why they emulate the team that lost the Super Bowl instead of the team that won it, to be honest.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shmtur posted:

It confuses me why they emulate the team that lost the Super Bowl instead of the team that won it, to be honest.

We've been trying the Chiefs model:

It got us three heartbreaking NFCCG losses and now Rodgers is 36 years old with a lengthy injury history instead of a 25 year old supernatural phenom flitting around on the fly. Gotta change the plan.

edit: Jesus Christ Mahomes isn't even 25, he's 24 until September. I'm glad the Chiefs are in the AFC.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Shmtur posted:

Well Rodgers' contract is a lot closer to Garoppolo's than Mahomes', so I don't know how they could afford to emulate the Chiefs really

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Maybe the Packers think Rodgers is their Alex Smith

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Gonna be so weird to see Rodgers in a Broncos uniform.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Styles Bitchley posted:

Gonna be so weird to see Rodgers in a Broncosears uniform.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shmtur posted:

losing but playing the game "the right way" is possibly the most core belief in the foundation of football

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Jaxdadvol/status/1254938994309246977

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:sigh:

gently caress.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Broncos becoming the place where spurned sunsetting generational QBs go to ring chase before they go off into that sweet night would be kind of awesome, especially if it works for Manning and Rodgers but not Brady.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rodgers on the broncos would be ideal, either he gets owned and it is funny or he wins a ring and packers fans melt down

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't see how the ideal can be anything except Rodgers to the Bears.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MJeff posted:

I don't see how the ideal can be anything except Rodgers to the Bears.

i have gamed out the scenarios and in all of them the world ends

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LabyaMynora posted:

gently caress.

This is loving clickbait lmao.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The problem with building the team out to beat the 49ers is the assumption that the 49ers are going to be the team to beat in the NFC this year. I know they're good, but it's gonna be someone else and it's gonna be completely stupid.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

PneumonicBook posted:

This is loving clickbait lmao.

Nope, it's happening. Maybe next season though. I had a vision

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Wasn't Drew Lock alright last year? or did i just imagine that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He started hot then fell off a cliff.

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The problem with building the team out to beat the 49ers is the assumption that the 49ers are going to be the team to beat in the NFC this year. I know they're good, but it's gonna be someone else and it's gonna be completely stupid.

This is where I'm at.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

LabyaMynora posted:

gently caress.

The article is literally we will trade for him if you want

I’m sure they made the same deal to the Chiefs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

GenericMartini posted:

Wasn't Drew Lock alright last year? or did i just imagine that

He was lacking weapons, and like all smart teams in a similar situation the Broncos prioritized WRs in the draft.