Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if Biden is elected every single lib is gonna dust their hands off and declare that the Great Orange Menace is defeated and dip back to brunch and politics is going to return to being a thing only cranks care about and we're going to be even more insanely hosed than we are now

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but I'm willing to bet evilweasel and yronic heroism and their friends don't actually engage with any sort of political struggle beyond Owning Bernie Bros Online and a Biden presidency is, at best, going to get them to halfheartedly defend the status quo for the next 4-8 years while the blue team continues to gut the economy and wreck the environment and - maybe most importantly - batten down the establishment hatches so any Bernie v2.0s that are hiding out there can't come nearly as close as he did.

They'll pop back up to tell us we have to vote for Bloomberg in 2024 or 2028 so we don't get president Tom Cotton or Eyepatch Dan or Eric Trump or whatever the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

Epic High Five posted:

lol where do you think all those seats that Schumer is helping McConnell fill, including a SCOTUS one, with these people came from? They just fell from the sky as an act of God and nobody could've done anything about it and nobody is to blame?

How is Schumer "helping" him fill these seats? The Republican majority will vote to eliminate any procedural rule that the Democrats use to block judges and McConnell has already done it before.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh good we’ve circled back to “who are you gonna believe, evil weasel or your lying ears and eyes”

generally speaking, since your eyes and ears told you the following

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah man the guy in second place drops out to endorse the guy in 4th all the goddamn time

when what the delegate counts were was trivially checkable and biden was not in fourth, nor was buttigeg in second (it was second, and third, respectively) but you didn't think to check until i showed you, i think that you should absolutely go with me over your quite obviously lying eyes and ears

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nivdes posted:

How is Schumer "helping" him fill these seats? The Republican majority will vote to eliminate any procedural rule that the Democrats use to block judges and McConnell has already done it before.

So better go ahead and make it easy for Republicans like Schumer did, right?

quote:

A sudden deal made by Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer on a set of judicial nominees has made Democratic activists livid.

With Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court confirmation hearing looming next week, Schumer reached an agreement late Tuesday with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to fast-track the confirmations of 15 Trump-nominated judicial picks. Seven federal district court judges were confirmed that day, and eight were put on the docket for confirmation next week.

A Senate Democratic aide says that the majority of the nominees greenlit as part of this deal were uncontroversial anyway — and emphasizes that Schumer’s efforts enable Democrats to hit the campaign trail, giving red-state Democrats a few extra days in their home states before coming back for Sen. John McCain’s memorial services this week.

But Democratic activists aren’t buying it — and many were concerned that this move showed weakness, especially going into the high-stakes Kavanaugh hearing.

“Mitch McConnell is in the middle of stealing the federal courts for conservatives, and Democrats continue to bring a butter knife to a gunfight,” said Brian Fallon, the head of activist group Demand Justice, which is leading opposition efforts against Kavanaugh, in a statement. “Democrats should be resisting Trump’s judge picks at every turn, not agreeing to fast-track them, as happened this week. It is hard to think of a more pathetic surrender heading into the Kavanaugh hearings.”

As Vox’s Emily Stewart writes, a running tally by Bloomberg shows that McConnell has already confirmed 60 judges, including 33 district court judges, 26 appeals court judges, and Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch. Earlier this year, the Trump administration was already far outpacing the number the Obama administration was able to confirm at the same point in his presidency.

And unlike the Supreme Court nomination — for which Democrats have very limited procedural levers to block Kavanaugh — there are options available for lawmakers to stymie some of the lower-court nominees, even if these tactics aren’t guaranteed to work.

Schumer’s willingness to give Republicans what some see as a free hall pass was downright confusing to many activists, especially given McConnell’s no-holds-barred approach to stalling Obama administration picks. Schumer seems to be thinking about protecting his red-state Democrat colleagues — but it’s a complete mismatch with the party’s base, which is frustrated over Republicans’ ability to remake the courts in recent years and wants Democrats to fight back.

“If Democrats fought at every step to play what few cards they have as a minority caucus, they could reduce the judges that get confirmed,” MoveOn Washington director Ben Wikler said. “McConnell is using every weapon in his disposal and Democrats aren’t fighting back equally.”

A Harry Reid staffer posited at least one alternative
Former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s deputy chief of staff Adam Jentleson said on Twitter on Tuesday that there were other ways for Democrats to stand their ground — even if these judicial nominees could ultimately get through. Jentleson’s approach would have Democrats capitalize on procedural tactics to slow the confirmation of Trump nominees, at the very least.

Jentleson said that Democratic leaders could “take a stand” by putting one senator on the floor at all times to object to a nomination. That would force McConnell to run through the “cloture” process for each nominee, meaning he would need to get 51 votes to end debate and start a vote to approve the nominee. Therefore, two rounds of votes would be required, each requiring 51 senators to agree.

“Instead of giving their consent to instantaneously confirming all of these Trump judges … they’d be recording their opposition to these nominees and to the ability of a [president] implicated in federal crimes to make lifetime appointments,” Jentleson, who is now director of public affairs at the nonprofit group Democracy Forward, said.

But yes, instead of fighting with what tools he had Schumer fast-tracked the judges.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

lol where do you think all those seats that Schumer is helping McConnell fill, including a SCOTUS one, with these people came from? They just fell from the sky as an act of God and nobody could've done anything about it and nobody is to blame?

from the period 2014-2016, when mcconnell controlled which judicial nominees got a vote (the answer was none) because republicans controlled the senate

like, what did you think the answer was

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

evilweasel posted:

you asked a set of specific questions and got very specific answers that respond entirely to your question. unfortunately for you, i was right, and you can't actually quibble with the answers. but, uh, feel free to declare you've won and slink out if you can't figure out how to address them.

You named exactly one Senator who wouldn't support M4A, implied that it was impossible for a party that oversaw 20% unemployment to lose 5 Senate seats, ignored that Sanders had a way to push M4A through budget reconciliation, and instead of explaining how Biden would get his healthcare plan to 60 votes, said he would abandon the parts that didn't fall under budget reconciliation.

In short, you failed to offer compelling evidence that "there is precisely zero chance of M4A passing" but did show that you have zero reason to believe that the Biden Plan could ever become law.

I definitely do not believe I have won, given that I learned nothing useful from this exchange and wasted ten minutes explaining your own posts to you.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yronic heroism posted:

Yeah gently caress Schumer for not confirming all Obama’s judges with 46 votes!

so you're admitting that the party is totally subservient to the Republicans, which is exactly what I'm saying as well, and also this doesn't explain why Schumer is actively facilitating ramming through slates of chudges RIGHT NOW for absolutely zero considerations or concessions. The Dems feel the most qualified type of judge to put forward is a heritage of AFP approved one and it's not worth fighting for a moderate because they are fiscal conservatives and will continue to entrench capital's stranglehold on all levers of power

lol remember when Schumer agreed to let DACA die because McConnell promised he'd get around to it eventually if Schumer just agreed to all demands without concession yet again?

you think a party that has behaved as it has in its own primary actually wants something like HR1 to pass and didn't just put it forward as a PR campaign because they knew it was doomed? If not I really suggest you talk to some Cali progressives sometime. Dems looooove to run on popular reforms but absolutely refuse to enact them once in power, something Obama embodied

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

from the period 2014-2016, when mcconnell controlled which judicial nominees got a vote (the answer was none) because republicans controlled the senate

Seat them anyway on the grounds that the Senate had the privilege of a vote on it and declined, create a crisis that you can then use to fire up your base, and hey on the other side of that sort of thing you have a much better chance of winning in 2016!

instead it's better to just lay back and hope for the best, assuming the Republicans are operating in good faith until the very end, obviously. Why bother giving these clowns power if they aren't even going to exercise it except to make things worse?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Well I'm going to have to side with Former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s deputy chief of staff Adam Jentleson over your unsubstantiated claims on this one.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you're a Dem, Obama and Biden failed you, period. Biden's platform is "I will continue to fail you like before"

If you're okay with that, well that's your thing, but I want something better

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Trabisnikof posted:

But yes, instead of fighting with what tools he had Schumer fast-tracked the judges.

Those "tools" would be gone with a voice vote the moment they used them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nivdes posted:

That's interesting because Former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s deputy chief of staff Adam Jentleson seems to think it was a viable strategy, and no offense, I imagine he has more experience on the topic than you.

Do you have a specific link that says the strategy Jentleson proposed would have failed? Or are you just extrapolating from your personal knowledge of the senate rules?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Hell yeah lets gooo oh god please

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1255181040357957634?s=20

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nivdes posted:

okay so your defense is that they're cowards who have no idea how to wield popular power, at best, or more likely are actively opposed to the notion of popular power and instead consulted only their donors and industry lobbyists as to how far they should go

a ringing endorsement

people want to compare Biden to LBJ and FDR but can you imagine him threatening to pack the courts or rip peckers off left and right to get what the Dem base wants? lmao, like he had years and years this decade to do exactly that and instead just meekly rolled over alongside the rest of party leadership

but again I ask - if this is their theory of power and change, why on Earth should I have any interest in empowering them?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is all I would need, please Joe!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Might actually vote trump if they did that

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

as Trabisnokof says, there were people even within the Dem establishment who were agitating for a more aggressive approach that by all accounts would've worked, but they specifically rejected every plan in favor of sitting on their hands, and they did this specifically because they had no actual issue with the idea of the Republicans filling all those seats and securing fiscal conservative control of the judiciary forever, because that is also a project of neoliberalism

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Epic High Five posted:

okay so your defense is that they're cowards who have no idea how to wield popular power, at best, or more likely are actively opposed to the notion of popular power and instead consulted only their donors and industry lobbyists as to how far they should go

a ringing endorsement

people want to compare Biden to LBJ and FDR but can you imagine him threatening to pack the courts or rip peckers off left and right to get what the Dem base wants? lmao, like he had years and years this decade to do exactly that and instead just meekly rolled over alongside the rest of party leadership

but again I ask - if this is their theory of power and change, why on Earth should I have any interest in empowering them?

Didn't Reid specifically call Biden out as a huge fuckup who ruined negotiations because Biden kept inserting himself into things and giving away poo poo that Reid was trying to trade for concessions? Biden has never been known as a savvy negotiator.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I've seen a lot of self-described leftists ragging on Stacy Abrams, but it would be genuinely fantastic to have somebody who cares as much as she does about voting rights and accessible voting in power. If we end up taking the Senate, keeping the House, and Biden ends up unable to serve his full term then we could possibly pass such sweeping pro-voter reform that it truly would be the effective end of the Republican party for a generation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Eminai posted:

You named exactly one Senator who wouldn't support M4A, implied that it was impossible for a party that oversaw 20% unemployment to lose 5 Senate seats, ignored that Sanders had a way to push M4A through budget reconciliation, and instead of explaining how Biden would get his healthcare plan to 60 votes, said he would abandon the parts that didn't fall under budget reconciliation.

In short, you failed to offer compelling evidence that "there is precisely zero chance of M4A passing" but did show that you have zero reason to believe that the Biden Plan could ever become law.

I definitely do not believe I have won, given that I learned nothing useful from this exchange and wasted ten minutes explaining your own posts to you.

i was right, krysten sienema also opposes M4A, which I stated in my post. which gives you the two opponents you need to still lose on M4A if you win 5 senate seats instead of 4 (or somehow save Jones' seat). feinstein is, apparently, a third. i'm sure we'll find more if we go looking. so, we have demolished that point.

as for sanders passing M4A through budget reconciliation, you absolutely can't, unless you dead-letter the byrd rule which i'd previously discussed. if you're going to dead-letter the byrd rule you are effectively abolishing the filibuster anyway, which has the same problems as getting to 50 on M4A. see the below:

evilweasel posted:

a public option is a lot easier to get a majority of the senate behind it and is probably easier to finagle through reconciliation without abolishing the filibuster or effectively dead-lettering the byrd rule (both of which i am in favor of, to be clear, but add additional difficulty because it's an additional failure point)

so basically, that's two of your "but you didn't explain it!!!" knocked down. bernie's "plan" to pass M4A through reconciliation is to dead-letter the byrd rule (the law that specifies what can and can't go through reconciliation). that is essentially the same as abolishing the filibuster, but dumber (you get two non-filibusterable bills per term, instead of as many as you want, but the other side will get as many as they want when they retake control) and has an additional exposure to Roberts calvinball (the byrd rule is law not a senate rule, and while that would not and should not matter it's an additional "aha you cheated, it's all abolished" attack vector). if you are willing to abolish the filibuster (again, i am in favor) you can get anything through with 50 votes - but M4A still has the problem of getting 50 votes, and you have the problem of getting the 50 votes to abolish the filibuster which may be difficult (it took harry reid years and a bigger majority to line up the votes to abolish the judicial filibuster)

the remaining issue appears to be that you believe i must show the exact plan on biden's webpage must pass exactly or i lose, in some sort of dumb "aha!!!!" argument. that is, of course, just bad-faith posting. what i said was abundantly clear - to the extent that you run into an irresolvable votes problem, you can still get reform through under biden's plan. that is an advantage - if you can get increased subsidies but no public option, well you weren't getting M4A either. if you can get increased subsidies and a public option, great, no problems. but the fact that all of it does not rise and fall together gives it a very important advantage in that it has a fallback plan M4A does not.

i am sure you learned nothing from this exchange, but hopefully someone interested in learning will.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Well I'm going to have to side with Former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s deputy chief of staff Adam Jentleson over your unsubstantiated claims on this one.

there was the additional problem of leahy adhering to the blue slip problem when harry reid was majority leader (not schumer) but the primary source of seats, including the specific scotus seat named, was what i said. and it is trivial to look who controlled the senate from 2014 on and how many obama judges they approved and we all know the exact story of that scotus seat, and if you do not you can try googling it

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

How are u posted:

I've seen a lot of self-described leftists ragging on Stacy Abrams, but it would be genuinely fantastic to have somebody who cares as much as she does about voting rights and accessible voting in power. If we end up taking the Senate, keeping the House, and Biden ends up unable to serve his full term then we could possibly pass such sweeping pro-voter reform that it truly would be the effective end of the Republican party for a generation.

I have bad news for you about what Dems do when they seize power. Still waiting for my progressive health care reform in California.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They should get a VP from a state where the VP selection might help 🧠

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

evilweasel posted:

it doesn't actually mean anything and is just a "please turn your brain off folks" request. if progressive legislation is intentionally designed to be picked apart would be a discussion that would revolve around "how does one pick apart legislation" and "what did the legislation actually say"

the reality was "five unelected judges (all appointed by republicans) can pick apart legislation if they so feel regardless of how it's written, also the section we're discussing was written properly and just like tons of other similar legislation that went off without a hitch."

so after we discussed (well, i told you, and you ignored) those facts you responded with a statement that boiled down to "well despite that, that's what i believe" and "the entire system is complicit!" which means nothing and is entirely unrelated to the two aspects that go to if progressive legislation is intentionally designed to be picked apart.

you are wrong. the facts underpinning if the medicaid expansion was intentionally designed to be picked apart (note that this was a crazy claim to begin with) squarely rebut your claim. you appear to be unwilling to deal with either trying to rebut those facts (well, perhaps you tried and recognized it did not work) or admitting you were wrong. so what you have chosen to do is shout a meaningless slogan that "the entire system is complicit!" that doesn't mean anything, it doesn't address anything. it's just kind of an attempt to change the subject, wrap yourself in ideology such that trying to imply anyone who admits you are wrong on this issue must reject all of your worldview, just a lot of nonsense trying to avoid actually discussing the false claim you made.

it was crazy and obviously untrue from the beginning because just thinking about it would make you realize you needed to ascribe absolutely lunatic motivations to democrats that made no sense whatsoever from any perspective. but even ignoring that, it was just obviously factually untrue if we chose to ignore motivations and take the claim seriously. and your response to that is to just shout slogans. that's just bad faith.

This is several thousand words just to say “you’re dumb and so goddamn crazy”

I think anytime you say that someone’s perspective is lunatic or crazy or irrelevant or obviously wrong you should have to explain why instead of posturing a bunch. Maybe that’s just me though

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

evilweasel posted:

generally speaking, since your eyes and ears told you the following

when what the delegate counts were was trivially checkable and biden was not in fourth, nor was buttigeg in second (it was second, and third, respectively) but you didn't think to check until i showed you, i think that you should absolutely go with me over your quite obviously lying eyes and ears

i was talking about going into south carolina, any campaign could have just written it off as being joe's single stronghold on the map

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Didn't Reid specifically call Biden out as a huge fuckup who ruined negotiations because Biden kept inserting himself into things and giving away poo poo that Reid was trying to trade for concessions? Biden has never been known as a savvy negotiator.

I mean he was widely known as the Senator from Credit Cards so I think he was just advocating on their behalf at the time

How are u posted:

the Bloomberg lady who endorsed a gerrymandering plan that effectively killed her own state party? I'm not like hugely critical of her largely because I just don't know much about her, but I've not really heard much that was a ringing endorsement. I've just assumed she's getting elevated because she's done the two things the Dems seem to prize above all else - lose to a Republican, and work with Republicans

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

misadventurous posted:

I think anytime you say that someone’s perspective is lunatic or crazy or irrelevant or obviously wrong you should have to explain why instead of posturing a bunch. Maybe that’s just me though

the explanation is right here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912894&userid=30107&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post504454132

when that explanation was met with sloganeering that did not respond to the explanation in any way, then i posted "several thousand words" to explain why. you are basically right about the conclusion, but rather than just give the conclusion i explained how we got there

so, in short, i am glad you appreciate my posts

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i was talking about going into south carolina, any campaign could have just written it off as being joe's single stronghold on the map

and had the second place person going into south carolina dropped out going into south carolina instead of coming out of it, you might have a point

but you are now not arguing the second place person dropped out to endorse the fourth place person, because he didn't. you're arguing the third place person who dropped out and endorsed the second place person (a normal occurrence) should have pretended south carolina didn't happen. which is, like, fine you can give unsolicited bad political advice to pete buttigeg all you want, but doesn't support your conspiracy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BMarchetich/status/1255179147363696644?s=20

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Biden might make Hilary his VP. He tweeted (I'm with her) to Hilary's tweet about a 3pm meeting she's been invited to.

I might vomit

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

gently caress it. Let’s do it.

The DNC suffering max pain while Hillary loses to the dumbest most narcissistic person on the planet twice would be :discourse:

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

misadventurous posted:

At this point I don't think he's capable of expressing himself without posturing a bunch.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I mean he was widely known as the Senator from Credit Cards so I think he was just advocating on their behalf at the time

the Bloomberg lady who endorsed a gerrymandering plan that effectively killed her own state party? I'm not like hugely critical of her largely because I just don't know much about her, but I've not really heard much that was a ringing endorsement. I've just assumed she's getting elevated because she's done the two things the Dems seem to prize above all else - lose to a Republican, and work with Republicans

She's on the board of CAP. That should really tell you all you need to know.

She's advocated strongly for voting rights, but never from a position where she could actually do anything about it, so while it's possible she really believes in it, it's also possible it's the issue she's picked for the purpose of building her brand. Dems love fighting for progressive legislation they know has no chance of being enacted to build up their bona fides. Look at Buttigieg and his strong, unwavering support for M4A before running for pres, or CA Dems passing weed legalization and UHC when the Governator was on hand with a convenient veto.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If we can't get socialist policies through the Senate then the nation is basically dead and the election doesn't matter anyway. Debating whether Biden is more likely than Trump to name a post office after FDR is a waste of time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wicked Them Beats posted:

She's on the board of CAP. That should really tell you all you need to know.

She's advocated strongly for voting rights, but never from a position where she could actually do anything about it, so while it's possible she really believes in it, it's also possible it's the issue she's picked for the purpose of building her brand. Dems love fighting for progressive legislation they know has no chance of being enacted to build up their bona fides. Look at Buttigieg and his strong, unwavering support for M4A before running for pres, or CA Dems passing weed legalization and UHC when the Governator was on hand with a convenient veto.

i don't get this "maybe democrats secretly don't care about voting rights"

you know why democrats are in favor of expanding voting rights and republicans aren't? because it is directly in the interests of democrats to do so, because they're more likely to get elected if more people can vote. and that is in their interests even if their only plan is to sell everyone out to corporate overlords because if they get elected as, say, governor of georgia, they can command a higher price than as, say, a democrat with no current state office in georgia

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Democrats doom themselves and all that remain are vultures and conmen trying to fool you into believing they are viable.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Grouchio posted:

Biden might make Hilary his VP. He tweeted (I'm with her) to Hilary's tweet about a 3pm meeting she's been invited to.

I might vomit

This is the hell we deserve.

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Epic High Five posted:

they do not have "popular power" or any sort of meaningful power when it comes to blocking judicial nominees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They aren’t going to make Hillary VP, only because the only person who thinks that’s a good idea is Hillary herself