Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Spoondick posted:

$19.99 cash pay at costco every year, don't even need a membership in some states

My last two employers did flu shots free of charge, health insurers but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

NofrikinfuN posted:

keep this in mind when people say that human ingenuity will get us out of climate change

lol

lmao

Human ingenuity will get us out of climate change.

What do you think all the fancy devices for killing humans that we've invented are for?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Airbnb style rentals are cool when they're like someone's spare apartment over the garage or whatever, or someone's beach condo in the winter, and have made my work travel to cities where there's nothing between the giant expensive business hotels and the collapsing crime filled sleaze motels a lot more pleasant, but these Airbnb landlords with a million mortgages deserve worse than bankruptcy for sure.

Apr 7, 2003

There are more empty houses than homeless people in America. You need to be a special kind of garbage to engage in housing arbitrage.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

lmao the only thing that comes out of texas convention centers are cowlords and gaylords

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
im not gonna defend airbnb as a whole but ive used it a ton for the last 3 yrs and im staying in one now

when it works out youre supporting artists and grannies and young peeps buying their first home

when it doesnt u got speculators and cold blooded landlords

but its rlly the hotels theyre loving over &hotels are the evolved form of rent seekers

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are more empty houses than homeless people in America. You need to be a special kind of garbage to engage in housing arbitrage.

even if youre a real prick surely never having to see homeless camps and poo poo again is worth the costs of fixing the problem you know

i guess the garbage people live out in the burbs and never see that poo poo firsthand lmao

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Airbnbs will never be the same.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all

wilderthanmild posted:

Previous vaccines for similar viruses like SARS and MERS had serious long term side effects that took a long time to detect. Rushing a vaccine is a dangerous prospect.

I'm not someone who says we'll never have one by the way, but one certainly isn't guaranteed.

One interesting this is the article claims it's based on a previous coronavirus vaccine that was safe for humans:

quote:

Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans.

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

Now maybe one year isn't enough time to determine safety...

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

fermun posted:

https://twitter.com/jeffmason1/status/1255182136925130752
how long until prison labor is used in meat processing plants?

send this tweet back to 2012

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

shovelbum posted:

Airbnb style rentals are cool when they're like someone's spare apartment over the garage or whatever, or someone's beach condo in the winter, and have made my work travel to cities where there's nothing between the giant expensive business hotels and the collapsing crime filled sleaze motels a lot more pleasant, but these Airbnb landlords with a million mortgages deserve worse than bankruptcy for sure.

yeah I mean Airbnb has destroyed affordable housing markets in many cities but on the other hand at least your company didn’t have to pay for a hotel

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Trout posted:

Can those claiming we'll never have a vaccine or it'll take forever explain to me why I shouldn't find this exciting?

https://twitter.com/palafo/status/1254866724467494913

Is it likely to be bullshit? It sounds legit.

"Emergency approval from regulators" means skip some animal and small scale trials since they slow things down and just hope and pray the test subjects don't die. Vaccines take a long time to research for a reason and relaxing standard is irresponsible.

The worst case scenario is they rush a vaccine rollout, then 6 months after everyone in the country gets a shot we discover some god awful side effect. The government would have effectively poisoned the entire country.

Also a huge amount of scammers are getting on the grift train. Every dumbass with a Bunsen burner is researching a "vaccine".

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
don't buy things you can't afford :smug:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

My last two employers did flu shots free of charge, health insurers but still

my employer did too until they stopped because they were cheap

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Keep these meat plants....OPEN!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Starks posted:

yeah I mean Airbnb has destroyed affordable housing markets in many cities but on the other hand at least your company didn’t have to pay for a hotel

my company is me and most of my travel is in a base town where everyone has a huge housing allowance and half a burbs house sitting empty, i already said the model doesn't work when you let people speculate on whole neighborhoods but using poo poo that was absolutely going to sit empty because it's not really a fit permanent dwelling doesn't seem bad at all and should probably stay legal.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

this lady's twitter account is public, btw, archive the good schadenfreude before she inevitably goes private.
https://twitter.com/belizeislandgrl/status/1240074943322304512

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

seattle plague rat posted:

im not gonna defend airbnb as a whole but ive used it a ton for the last 3 yrs and im staying in one now

when it works out youre supporting artists and grannies and young peeps buying their first home

when it doesnt u got speculators and cold blooded landlords

but its rlly the hotels theyre loving over &hotels are the evolved form of rent seekers

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

unnaproved revamp of policies lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember when people rented through Craigslist and the newspaper and it was fine and capital didn’t get a huge cut

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

euphronius posted:

unnaproved revamp of policies lmao

what does that mean

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

in these unprecedented times day crew and night crew are both death crew so all vaccines will fail, everyone will die, then the economy will crash

If vaccine chat makes you feel good you’re better off tracking treatments and preventative measure because we are going to learn a whole lot more about those and have positive “look not as many people have to die” stories before a safe, effective, vaccine is announced. maybe we don’t need herd immunity if we can treat people effectively with antivirals in the first week and it never gets worse than a cold.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

hotels exploit migrant workers & karen is going to go bankrupt

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

a.lo posted:

Keep these meat plants....OPEN!

idiots thinking the president has a big lever that sets gas prices when actually the lever opens the meat gates

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

galenanorth posted:

Emphasize that it's nothing personal if it comes down to being honest, I guess

yeah "nothing personal" is always the most extreme insult in my experience.
avoidance is your best bet OP

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

shovelbum posted:

my company is me and most of my travel is in a base town where everyone has a huge housing allowance and half a burbs house sitting empty, i already said the model doesn't work when you let people speculate on whole neighborhoods but using poo poo that was absolutely going to sit empty because it's not really a fit permanent dwelling doesn't seem bad at all and should probably stay legal.

Ah well as long as it works for you and your def contractor company of one it's fine

kater
Nov 16, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

this sure as hell doesn't help but i guess if you're forced to go be a cashier with old people coughing on you or a home health care aide with no PPE then gently caress it, go party
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/homeowner-cited-after-massive-party-held-at-residence-on-chicagos-west-side-police-say/2262680/

quote:

Chicago police have advised the Chicago Department of Public Health about the incident, and the department plans to follow up on the incident to “ensure any health risks that could have arisen from this party are monitored and mitigated,” according to a statement.

Those measures do not include testing party-goers, but they could still be tested if they begin showing symptoms of the virus.

ahahaha you fake rear end pricks either help or don’t you don’t give two shits about anyone just fine people that still have to work during this poo poo and walk away jfc

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I genuinely hope they all end up homeless

they and people like them are human garbage

They won't. People like this are going to keep their own home, take the 3? Month forbearance on loan payments, default in August, get grace period notices and Accelerstion letters, then try to "negotiate" with uninterested banks who want to get the property back, and the banks will pay the prop tax. Except that'll take 5+ years and these folks will keep renting the place out and pocketing the money and if the banks even think about trying to go after it they'll just declare bankruptcy and hide the money

Maybe the banks will get wise and appoint receivers since it's really a commercial property, but probably not

The whole system sucks so loving bad. Meanwhile someone who just wants a reasonable place to live will never get one

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anti-vax horseshoe theory in full effect.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

fermun posted:

President Trump said on Tuesday that he planned to sign an executive order later in the day to address what he called the “liability problems” in the food supply without elaborating. “There’s plenty of supply,” he said. “It’s distribution and we will probably have that today solved. It was a very unique circumstance because of liability.”

lmao, as always
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1081267037937303552

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Apraxin posted:

President Trump said on Tuesday that he planned to sign an executive order later in the day to address what he called the “liability problems” in the food supply without elaborating. “There’s plenty of supply,” he said. “It’s distribution and we will probably have that today solved. It was a very unique circumstance because of liability.”

https://youtu.be/-VBmPjTWQ9o

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kater posted:

ahahaha you fake rear end pricks either help or don’t you don’t give two shits about anyone just fine people that still have to work during this poo poo and walk away jfc

Absolutely cowardly government. The only thing stopping a pandemic in Chicago is that the weather has been abysmal- either cold, rainy, or both. We had one nice day a month back and the next nice one is gonna be mayhem on the beaches

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
new jersey's tuesday death toll is 400% higher than the monday death toll

gotta love these weekends

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

fermun posted:

theyre gonna get people from those prisons with a 60% covid rate, right?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

idiots thinking the president has a big lever that sets gas prices when actually the lever opens the meat gates

this is an invitation to post goatse, you know

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

wont those airbnb people have a shitload of money though?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Tbh I think it rules that this actually was just a bad slightly more contagious flu and that we've already seen the worst and now we get to enjoy republican chud rule for decades because they were right and we destroyed the economy for no reason. I'm a trump truther.

Apr 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

The whole system sucks so loving bad. Meanwhile someone who just wants a reasonable place to live will never get one

I paid $120K for my house in 2015 because I was willing to live in a lovely neighborhood

The previous owner paid $35K in 1990

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CODChimera posted:

They'll hide it. I've personally seen this a ton of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

CODChimera posted:

no they're up to the eyeballs in debt lol