Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

By the way, when the King of Valcenia tella Angela "so the True Queen had a daughter this whole time..." does that ever get expanded on? I didn't notice anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rand Brittain posted:

I mostly just found those very easy to destroy, as compared to some of the others? Xan Bie's all definitely needed a class strike and in the end it was probably easier just to panic heal.

The Crimson Wizard's orbs are also very hard to destroy because they're so drat far apart and I'm honestly not even sure how the AoE works on the only AoE class strike (Kevin) I have.
I don't know which CS your Kevin has, but Suzaku Aerial has a pretty wide range. It's definitely not room-wide though. If I were to hazard a guess the only attack you might be able to get all of the weakpoints in would be something like Zable Fahr's Dark Force. (Might only be two of them at that.)

Sapozhnik posted:

Oh yeah, speaking of which, what's the trick for Dangaard? It spams those constantly and there isn't really any way to avoid its regular attacks either.
Usually when it's spamming those attacks with one head the other head is charging up something else. Hit that head enough (you'll need to jump) and it'll get stunned out of it and you can get some sweet stun damage on it.

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, after playing through to the postgame, I've identified my one big complaint about this game: doing a class strike doesn't stop time, but also it prevents you from swapping to another character and acting while the class strike is happening.

This is mostly fine, except for when bosses do the "destroy these objects or die!" trick and you need class strikes to bring them down. There's no way to have each of your characters class strike a different object at the same time. ...is there? Is there some way to access the CS crossbar from a non-centered character's ring menu?
No, there doesn't appear to be a way to access class strikes for other characters. You have to let the AI do them.

This is almost certainly some sort of balance conceit to the game because you can still damage enemies locked in to the Class Strike animation. For most enemies this just lets you farm CS gauge off of them a bit. For bosses though? It freezes them in place and prevents them from doing their script. Bosses absolutely melt when you can wail on them with abandon.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 28, 2020

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ASenileAnimal posted:

i know its insane i just got the 4th class change and im just steamrolling everything with it lol.

also does anyone know if rainbow seeds drop 4th class tier gear or is it just a higher chance at the 3rd class gear?

Rainbow seeds drop 4th class tier gear, and I don't think gold do (but they might). So I suggest you don't use any rainbow ones before you get your 4th class.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, after playing through to the postgame, I've identified my one big complaint about this game: doing a class strike doesn't stop time, but also it prevents you from swapping to another character and acting while the class strike is happening.

This is mostly fine, except for when bosses do the "destroy these objects or die!" trick and you need class strikes to bring them down. There's no way to have each of your characters class strike a different object at the same time. ...is there? Is there some way to access the CS crossbar from a non-centered character's ring menu?

Definitely been spoiled with that stuff after playing FF7R being able to swap mid-specials/animation. Also the fact that you can't "turn off" certain class strikes for AI. Little things like these where you just wish it had more QoL or something

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Once I finish the game and want to do the other 2 characters paths, which is the better option, New Game or New Game+? I've seen people post that New Game+ carries over your characters level, won't that take away all the fun by being extremely overpowered? Is there a story difference from going New Game+ ?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Bruceski posted:

By the way, when the King of Valcenia tella Angela "so the True Queen had a daughter this whole time..." does that ever get expanded on? I didn't notice anything.

The heavy implication is that Angela is the daughter of the True Queen and the Hero King. I don't think the game ever directly spells it out though but it alludes to it a couple times (Which is weird because in most other ways the game's pretty ham-fisted about every other twist-shaped plot point almost immediately, with only the Darkshine Knight being handled with any kind of tact.).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah this is my biggest complaint too. You have to pop a CS, wait for the animation to finish, switch to another character, target another thing, pop another CS, and repeat. And there's no way to do any of this while the game is paused, and the timing on these mechanics is usually pretty tight. If you mess up an input you will probably fail.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any advice on making my Kevin/Charlotte/Hawkeye run more fun? I just got the shadow friend and I知 finding the game kinda boring.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Anyone else notice other games crashing on start or failing to start at all after running the Steam version of this game? Rebooting my system fixes it but it's still a pain in the rear end.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

fadam posted:

Any advice on making my Kevin/Charlotte/Hawkeye run more fun? I just got the shadow friend and I知 finding the game kinda boring.

Have you switched classes yet?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Have you switched classes yet?

Ya I went dark for all of them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mr. Locke posted:

The heavy implication is that Angela is the daughter of the True Queen and the Hero King. I don't think the game ever directly spells it out though but it alludes to it a couple times (Which is weird because in most other ways the game's pretty ham-fisted about every other twist-shaped plot point almost immediately, with only the Darkshine Knight being handled with any kind of tact.).

There's a prequel for the DS that ALSO refuses to come out and say that, but does add in a whole subplot where Flamekhan had another kid, who he disowns for being on the other side of the game's conflict. She has Hawkeye and apparently dies, so Flamekhan takes him in and tells him he's a random orphan he found. It's a weird decision.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

fadam posted:

Dark Kevin is as simple as ABC.
Always
Be
Class-striking

There are a couple of skills that give you a 10% or 15% refund on your class strikes, and they stack.

His level 1 CS is better for groups of trash mobs than his level 2. Also if you haven't gotten used to his combos, you really should, it's good consistent damage output and it also builds your CS gauge faster.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 28, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Defiance Industries posted:

There's a prequel for the DS that ALSO refuses to come out and say that, but does add in a whole subplot where Flamekhan had another kid, who he disowns for being on the other side of the game's conflict. She has Hawkeye and apparently dies, so Flamekhan takes him in and tells him he's a random orphan he found. It's a weird decision.

Which is very, very weird, because it means Hawkeye's primary love interest is his literal biological aunt.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Currently peeking through my blinds at the UPS truck parked by the mailboxes. I've never wanted to play a game so badly

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rand Brittain posted:

Which is very, very weird, because it means Hawkeye's primary love interest is his literal biological aunt.

Angry Hawkeye/Rieszposting.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm thinking of going...

Duran: Liege (L/D) for Party Heal (he will be my most-often controlled char and I like to control healing for this)
Angela: Archmage (L/D) for multitarget L2 spells, choosing this over Grand Diviner (L/L) for the MP Saver skill
Kevin: Fatal Fist (D/D) for extreme damage

Any good synergies I'm overlooking with this crew? I haven't done my first class changes so I've still got full flexibility.

gandlethorpe posted:

Currently peeking through my blinds at the UPS truck parked by the mailboxes. I've never wanted to play a game so badly

I hope it arrives for you quick bud!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Poque posted:

I'm thinking of going...

Duran: Liege (L/D) for Party Heal (he will be my most-often controlled char and I like to control healing for this)
Angela: Archmage (L/D) for multitarget L2 spells, choosing this over Grand Diviner (L/L) for the MP Saver skill
Kevin: Fatal Fist (D/D) for extreme damage

Any good synergies I'm overlooking with this crew? I haven't done my first class changes so I've still got full flexibility.

I hope it arrives for you quick bud!

Okay, there is *one* combo.

Kevin God Hand L/L / Duran Duelist D/D

I am completely unsure if this still exists, but God Hand in the original gets Aura Wave which fills the tech meter and Duelist gets Eruption sword, which is the strongest class skill in the game.

I'd check that for sure.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Do level ups always give the same number of training points no matter what? For example, right now it alternates between giving me 1 and 2 points and it has since around the time I class changed the first time. Will it start giving me more after I class change again? Or does that start at a specific level?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hahahaha, I freakin' did it!

Took a bit of min-maxing but really the clincher was in changing up how I approached the fight. While my first really good time (1:00:69) involved an AI CS stunning her so I could wail on her they ended up being a liability more than a boon. Because they slow down the second phase immensely. I lost a good handful of times to their CS's keeping the boss around for the animation to finish.
I ended up turning off the AI's Class Strikes and just wailing on her manually in the first phase. Turns out as long as she uses her slow attack she's very susceptible to being ripped apart. Especially if you back attack for maximum crits.

Second Phase also required a change in my approach. Mainly to the CS I used on Kevin. As much as Class 4's kamehameha is awesome and does a lot of hits, it doesn't have THAT big of an AoE. In my record run I accidentally messed up and used Phenomenal Strike (for less than what my normal light attack string could do.) With the clock ticking and the boss still having most of it's health I went 'gently caress IT SUZAKU SKY DANCE.'
It proceeded to do almost all the rest of her health bar.
At first I thought it had killed her outright from 95 or so with the AI chipping in, but there was a tiny sliver of health left. So I just cherry tapped her with a light attack and that was that.
Turns out the boss's model is huge enough that I wasn't hitting all of it's parts with Torrent and I did with Suzaku :shepface:

Here's the stats, gear and ability setups I used (spoilered for people who don't want to see them.) There's a little bit more optimization I could do, namely that Riesz didn't have enough training points in STR to get Attacker II to share with Kevin instead of his Payback III. (Which would give him another +40 ATK/-40 DEF.) But overall I'm satisfied with this result especially since I did it at level 80.

Dark/Light Kevin
Light/Light Charlotte
Dark/Dark Reisz

So yeah, time for New Game + for me.

Arkeus posted:

Rainbow seeds drop 4th class tier gear, and I don't think gold do (but they might). So I suggest you don't use any rainbow ones before you get your 4th class.
Gold don't. I dropped 20 or so gold seeds and only got class 3 gear, 24 rainbow seeds got me a bunch of class 4 stuff (but not armor, head or accessory for poor Riesz. She did get her fancy lance though. Both Kevin and Charlotte got all of their class 4 gear though.)

fadam posted:

Any advice on making my Kevin/Charlotte/Hawkeye run more fun? I just got the shadow friend and I'm finding the game kinda boring.
If you're not having fun because you're absolutely destroying things then uh, I have bad news for you. You'll have to find fun in absolutely destroying things because that is what Kevin does to this game.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

I am completely unsure if this still exists, but God Hand in the original gets Aura Wave which fills the tech meter and Duelist gets Eruption sword, which is the strongest class skill in the game.

The equivalent skill in this game makes you get CS faster rather than filling the meter.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

Okay, there is *one* combo.

Kevin God Hand L/L / Duran Duelist D/D

I'd check that for sure.

I think Nature Aura (aka Aura Wave) works differently. Not sure the specifics, but it appears to increase the amount of CS gauge filled by the blue drops. Could also work on other sources.

Still, should be a great way of maintaining CS. I'm planning to do a D/D Kevin with L/L Hawkeye as the Nature Aura bot. The added bonus is that Kevin gets abilities that reduce the cost of CS, so you don't need a full bar to start a fight with the strongest one.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Liege is great because it has passives that increase the attack, magic, and defense of your whole party, so it really plays well with anyone. I'm really enjoying my Archmage/Liege/Warlock party.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Hahahaha, I freakin' did it!

Nice. Do you get anything for sub-minute or is 2 the bar and it's a personal goal?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bruceski posted:

Nice. Do you get anything for sub-minute or is 2 the bar and it's a personal goal?

2 is the bar for material/ability rewards. Sub 1 minute was my personal goal because I got so close that one time on a fluke.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

2 is the bar for material/ability rewards. Sub 1 minute was my personal goal because I got so close that one time on a fluke.

Okay. Since the game hides achievements I wasn't sure.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Archmage Angela owns (and I love the voice acting, don't hate :v: I LOVE SHOPPING :v:) but before I start over with her (Rune Seer this time, I think), I need to finish Anise's dungeon. That one's a bit exhausting IMO.

lezard_valeth posted:

Once I finish the game and want to do the other 2 characters paths, which is the better option, New Game or New Game+? I've seen people post that New Game+ carries over your characters level, won't that take away all the fun by being extremely overpowered? Is there a story difference from going New Game+ ?
I'd also like to know this.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

There's no point not doing NG+. You start as normal, but you have access to ALL items except key story items. This includes class change items and seeds (don't use them until you've class changed to 3 or 4 if you are looking for equipment). The biggest thing though is you carry over ALL chain abilities that aren't tied to class picks. This is the part that can break the game for you, so if you don't want to do that, just don't equip them.

E.g. I started my 2nd NG+ and equipped +200 cs at battle start and +300% xp bonus, and everything was a breeze until benevodons. With the 300% xp bonus I was 99 by the time I fought Anise with absolutely no grinding whatsoever. On the other hand, waiting for ??? seeds (because I didn't farm them) meant that for Riesz who had no luck, I was mid 50s before she changed into class 3

Inflammatory posted:

it's level based afaik. by the time i finished the postgame in the 80's i was getting 6 points per level.

Yup and it ends at 7 points in the 90s iirc, and by 99 you can max out everything with 0 points left

Dackel fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 28, 2020

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do level ups always give the same number of training points no matter what? For example, right now it alternates between giving me 1 and 2 points and it has since around the time I class changed the first time. Will it start giving me more after I class change again? Or does that start at a specific level?

it's level based afaik. by the time i finished the postgame in the 80's i was getting 6 points per level.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy loving poo poo Angela completely disintegrated the final boss on her story path. Bosses with multiple hit boxes are very allergic to Lucent Beam Plus, I guess!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy loving poo poo Angela completely disintegrated the final boss on her story path. Bosses with multiple hit boxes are very allergic to Lucent Beam Plus, I guess!

Same

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Finally here! Gotta make sure not to spook the Amazon man

Hah, took it right out of the bubble wrap just as the demo intro I had playing on loop transitioned into Angel's Fear

Selane
May 19, 2006

Arkeus posted:

As insane as is Lucent Beam+ spam, Ancient curse is just better for pure DPS against bosses. Lucent Beam+ speam (or other appropriate elements) are really drat good for killing slightly weaker enemies quicker though, because cast time.

Also I suspect on a Holy day Lucent Beam+ + enemy weak to holy might equal Ancient Curse. Maybe.
Oh, sure. Generally dark Angela is better for bosses. That being said Lucent Beam+ does work against Anise because her second form is big enough that all the hits land, and she's weak against holy.

quote:

How does Doppleganger compare to Glittering Dust? I know Glittering Dust had annoyingly small AoE that didn't work too well against Anise's first form.
You're not missing much, Doppelganger is basically useless against her first form, but mainly because it takes forever rather than because it's too small, so she just teleports out of it. Basically you cast it(I think all of Angela's ultimate non-elemental spells have the same slow cast time) and a bunch of different elemental explosions go off. But it's one element at a time, so it takes like 6 seconds for the whole thing to finish, so useful on most bosses, but not on something like Anise's first phase.

quote:

I solved this by simply using the 3 characters I didn't use on my first playthrough for my first NG+, I get to keep all my stuff but still have 3 level 1's to start with.

Also, I don't think anyone posted it yet, so from what I can figure out here is a complete list of what carries over in New Game+:

Items(Including Item seeds, class reset items, and class 3 items, but not class 4 items)
Equipment(But keep in mind your old weapon/armor is probably unusable by lower tier classes)
Money
Play time(in the top left corner)
Chain Abilities(regardless of whether the character they came from is in your party any more)
Lil' Cactus status
Level and stats carry over, but class is reset to tier one
Training points are refunded
Map uncovering status...or whatever you want to call it.
You also unlock some new chain abilities based on which characters were previously in your party, plus a new +300%XP chain ability

Selane fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 28, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I知 playing the Switch demo and I picked Angela, Kevin, and... uh... spear girl and just recruited Kevin. Kevin痴 voice acting is a little bit dopey, but he has been inoffensive so far. Angela is cool but I know she is terrible at magic right now but... man, a mage just wailing on enemies with their staff is both hilarious and kind of sad. When do I start picking up some spells?

But I am somewhat leaning towards picking this up; dunno if I want to get the PS4 version for 60 FPS but it痴 not looking like the combat is -that- fast where it値l be a big deal breaker over the Switch version

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Angela can learn her first spell once you beat the boss at the end of the demo. There won't be much to use it on until you get the full game, but you can sample it on the mobs around there.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Does luck influence item drops and/or chest contents? If so, does it matter which character opens a chest or does the game use the highest Luck value of your party?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's a minor thing I know but I kind of wish that they'd kept everybody's doofy victory animations and Riesz's doofy box opening animation, it was really cute.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

MH Knights posted:

Does luck influence item drops and/or chest contents? If so, does it matter which character opens a chest or does the game use the highest Luck value of your party?

Chests are fixed. Item drops I think become more common with higher luck, but I don't believe it influences what you get.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to remember if the original game had roulette traps in chests like Secret of Mana does. I am happy this game does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

finished the original a couple of days ago and i'm pretty sure 90% of chests were trapped