Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

someone say "death of the author" so we can wrap this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i dunno, the ending took place over this big swelling string section as joel monologued about the importance of survival, driving away from the corpses of the people who'd died in service to his own spiritual fulfillment

that's unsubtle enough so that i'd call it deliberate for a AAA story

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

Telephone spoiler summaries are always gonna be extremely suspect, and doing a switch to Abby is so drastic that I feel like it kind of has to be done fairly well.

What I mean is, this game has had a lot of time, oversight, and a hefty legacy to live up to. If people haven't been playing and giving the feedback "yes, I like this story" then I feel like it would have been changed.

This isn't an indie studio that can afford to say "gently caress you, this is our ~vision~", if they haven't extensively tested this poo poo out then that'd be an uncharacteristically big whoopsie.

Hell, Uncharted 4 sounds dumb as gently caress on paper: Nate has a brother and a nemesis he's conveniently never mentioned at all and now he's back and you're expected to care about him (and even play as him briefly)

Amy Hennig's version would have been better.

Seems like there's a common denominator between the projects

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

someone say "death of the author" so we can wrap this up

Sure, I'll put it right behind this here spoiler tag: Sike! It was ludonarrative dissonance all along!

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Dewgy posted:

Sure, I'll put it right behind this here spoiler tag: Sike! It was ludonarrative dissonance all along!

:aaaaa:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seems like there's a common denominator between the projects

A lot of projects have that one person and that one other person who thinks it's them and gets put in charge when the 1st one leaves and poo poo breaks.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Should I play KOTOR?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

halwain posted:

Obvious Spoiler in the Video

I guess this is the final confrontation between abby and Ellie/Dinah in German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FcMcp-_-WI

this is disgusting what the gently caress?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zeta Acosta posted:

I mentioned the movie Blue Ruin earlier ITT and it looks like I was pretty much spot on. :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Oxxidation posted:

at least the first game had something to say about the human condition even if it wasn't breaking any new ground, this one's just using the studio's clout to dial up its r-rated imagery as far as it can go

I mean, I actually excited for this based off of what I heard. Joel was a real piece of poo poo in the first game that I think people just kind of gloss over because you play as him. Like his whole past as a hunter where he admits he has done some pretty reprehensible poo poo.

To me, I think this fits because Joel has always been angry White Male to me.

I feel like I am one of the few that didn't sympathize with Joel and Ellie at all.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Leaked mocap from the big death

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A valid opinion but most uncharted fans liked 4 a lot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If not better, at least "more interesting", but I'm still pretty drat happy with how well Sam turned out as a character. It definitely wasn't a Poochie sitch

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

Video games are ~art~

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
also lol if cyberpunk 2077 comes out and manages to tell a mature story with engaging gameplay after naughty dog no fun allowed magnus opus

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah im sure cyberpunk 2077 will manage to do that

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Panzeh posted:

Yeah it was lame when bioshock did it, when spec ops the line did it, when far cry 3 did it, and it doesn't stop being a lame conceit. I'm still kinda okay with holding my judgement until I can see the story as a whole with respect to Last of Us 2(The original kinda works okay though the limited resource setpieces were way more interesting gameplaywise than the plot ended up being)

spec ops the line is 1000x the game that the last of us was. Didnt need the zombie setting and was actually honest about the horrors of the world, also it didnt pull out the "behind the monster there was a good person all along" cope out. Walker was a blood thirsty mercenary and he payed for it.

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 28, 2020

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Donut Abby mode where a big blob brutally beats the audience's surrogate daughter leaving her a bleeding quivering mess on the floor

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I guess everyone at some point needs to have their first experience with a work of fiction that subverts the idea of good guys and bad guys and asks who the real monsters are. I mean, there's a never ending stream of young people coming of age who need the latest version of a YA novel, or a grim dark take on your comic book heroes, or whatever else that marks their transition from child to edgy teen.

I grew up loving loving Rob Leifeld and thinking that Mignola's guest issue of X-Force was trash, so I can't really fault whoever's going to take TLOU2 as their moment of transformational discovery that games can be more than a power fantasy and art can have meta commentary.

But I can be all old and condescending as gently caress about it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

doingitwrong posted:

I grew up loving loving Rob Leifeld

I wish we had a dumb Stan Lee smilie I could post at mentions of Liefeld.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zeta Acosta posted:

also lol if cyberpunk 2077 comes out and manages to tell a mature story with engaging gameplay after naughty dog no fun allowed magnus opus

"Mature" is not the first word that springs to mind when describing a game that is basically gonna be a Trapper Keeper come to life (to be clear, in an awesome way)

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Now isn’t Abby voiced by Laura Bailey who also voices Chun Li who also has thighs of steel.

Coincidence? I think not.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

I guess everyone at some point needs to have their first experience with a work of fiction that subverts the idea of good guys and bad guys and asks who the real monsters are. I mean, there's a never ending stream of young people coming of age who need the latest version of a YA novel, or a grim dark take on your comic book heroes, or whatever else that marks their transition from child to edgy teen.

I grew up loving loving Rob Leifeld and thinking that Mignola's guest issue of X-Force was trash, so I can't really fault whoever's going to take TLOU2 as their moment of transformational discovery that games can be more than a power fantasy and art can have meta commentary.

But I can be all old and condescending as gently caress about it.

neither optimistic or pessimistic media is any indicator of maturity in either way and its possible to just enjoy both.

also i dont think anyone is saying tlou2 is going to be a transformational game in any sense at all. not even saying it will be good because i think its pretty impossible to know from plot beats like this in complete isolation.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
someone splice the parts where abby brutally murders everyone with hotline miami sfx i'm too lazy

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Are there even any loving zombies in this dumbass game?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Are there even any loving zombies in this dumbass game?

all people are zombies if you really think about it

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
all these new posts makes me want to read a thesis on tommy weisu's the room

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013
I read the spoilers and they are absolute garbage loving trash. Joel deserves way better.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

titty fat pizza posted:

I read the spoilers and they are absolute garbage loving trash. Joel deserves way better.

Well yeah, that's probably true of random mook #26 who Joel made eat a brick to the face too, but ain't nobody gettin' pissed off about him!

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Booty Pageant posted:

someone splice the parts where abby brutally murders everyone with hotline miami sfx i'm too lazy

We can't Sony is doing DMCA takedowns of everything actually talking about what in the game (allegedly) Still not a peep about working conditions though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

titty fat pizza posted:

Joel honestly doesn't, which is the thing.

Joel is a self-admitted murderer even before the events of the first game. He was callous and cruel and tortures and kills people. The fact that we have empathy for him due to his circumstances and his relationship with his adoptive daughter doesn't change the fact that he is in fact a really bad person and doing what he feels is necessary for the survival of himself and those close to him. Basically the only meaningful difference between him and the people he kills is that he's our viewpoint character and we have more empathy for him.

Of the problems with TLOU2's leaked story "Joel dies a miserable and depressing death" is probably the least of them.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

halwain posted:

Obvious Spoiler in the Video

I guess this is the final confrontation between abby and Ellie/Dinah in German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FcMcp-_-WI

feel bad or the workers forced to crunch to turn out this eli roth tier garbage

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Dewgy posted:

Well yeah, that's probably true of random mook #26 who Joel made eat a brick to the face too, but ain't nobody gettin' pissed off about him!

really makes u think- neil durkmann

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

genuinely shocking to find out thru this thread people liked joel and/or thought he was good in any possible way lol

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The fireflies sucked and killing them was pretty cool and good :shrug:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'll be honest I just cheer for whoever happens to be controlled by the left stick at any given time. It's me, I'm the person who sudden character shifts were written for.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Yardbomb posted:

correct

Stux posted:

genuinely shocking to find out thru this thread people liked joel and/or thought he was good in any possible way lol

thats on naughty dog, they wrote the game that way. examples of awful character who arent good people
walker in specs ops the line
big boss in mgsv

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Joel honestly doesn't, which is the thing.

Joel is a self-admitted murderer even before the events of the first game. He was callous and cruel and tortures and kills people. The fact that we have empathy for him due to his circumstances and his relationship with his adoptive daughter doesn't change the fact that he is in fact a really bad person and doing what he feels is necessary for the survival of himself and those close to him. Basically the only meaningful difference between him and the people he kills is that he's our viewpoint character and we have more empathy for him.

Of the problems with TLOU2's leaked story "Joel dies a miserable and depressing death" is probably the least of them.

I disagree. Joel is the game. The original would not have been anywhere close to as good as it was without him. Joel redeemed himself through Ellie and now that and everything else they went through in part one means gently caress all. Playing as his killer for half of the game is the stupidest twist in any game ever. gently caress everything about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yardbomb posted:

:yeah:

But joel was also still a mostly bad person. I mean from the beginning you know he and Tess were all Bonnie and Clyde.

Learning to love Ellie didn't make him a good person and it' not even hinted at so there's not much evidence for the Good Joel theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

titty fat pizza posted:

I disagree. Joel is the game. The original would not have been anywhere close to as good as it was without him. Joel redeemed himself through Ellie and now that and everything else they went through in part one means gently caress all. Playing as his killer for half of the game is the stupidest twist in any game ever. gently caress everything about it.

youve really like, conflated two things. joel as a character, as the player character, is fantastic and makes the game.

joel the character is completely morally compromised and a monster.