Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

mawarannahr posted:

Seth Ronatelli 2020

Hot new weed strain, Secession Seth’s Sativa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spaced God posted:

I'm the big question mark that is Idaho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7t7cGwN7_0

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/BobbyBigWheel/status/1254911777021853698

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

DrSunshine posted:

Good. Now we have access to the strategic nuclear stockpiles and uranium. :black101:

what the hell is the "higher education recovery task force"

its the SEC isn't it

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

tired: the plague helping destroy feudal institutions

wired: the plague helping recreate feudal institutions

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

turd in my singlet posted:

what the hell is the "higher education recovery task force"

its the SEC isn't it

lol if you don’t think playing college football in the south isn’t key to preventing unrest

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The first big New Normal Initiative is opening up parks, golf courses, and boat ramps. Going great!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

net work error posted:

The first big New Normal Initiative is opening up parks, golf courses, and boat ramps. Going great!

TBH these are pretty low risk opens. Pennsylvania has had parks open the whole shutdown and we've had one of the best curve flattening.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lol if you don’t think playing college football in the south isn’t key to preventing unrest

Can't have unrest if most of the population is laid up with Corona

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Neither United, States, or American

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

quote:

TN, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL in talks to coordinate

:stare:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFwzqBDFyNg

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nitrousoxide posted:

TBH these are pretty low risk opens. Pennsylvania has had parks open the whole shutdown and we've had one of the best curve flattening.

Yeah you're outside the entire time so you don't have your germy aerosols bouncing off the walls and you naturally social distance in parks because the points to enjoy nature. The big issue is what we've seen in Kentucky which is that when parks and golf courses are the only things open people who don't usually use them crowd into them and make social distancing harder to outright impossible.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

TN, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL would be the absolute worst nation in the world lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

A alliance to make big beautiful CV R0!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Karl Barks posted:

Given their over representation among terrorists and soldiers, they'd stand a very real chance of dominating the rest of the union post-balk and ruling us like colonies.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Tulip posted:

Given their over representation among terrorists and soldiers, they'd stand a very real chance of dominating the rest of the union post-balk and ruling us like colonies.

i would help the PLA open bases in north america before I would ever submit to rule by southern chuds. gently caress everything about that

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Spergin Morlock posted:

i would help the PLA open bases in north america before I would ever submit to rule by southern chuds. gently caress everything about that

:same:

If the south tried to rise "again" I believe it's time to start lootin' and burnin'.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Spergin Morlock posted:

Consider: the neo-confederacy licenses out the administration of "recalcitrant zones" to the PRC for an excise tax.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

i did the numbers and "Liberal Hellhole" is 66% of the state
4,49,019 out of 6,746,000

Chicagoland is roughly 63% of Illinois

Throughout much of history city-states have dominated agricultural hinterlands and that was with the majority of the population being in agricultural areas, unlike now

What I'm saying is now that the majority of population is in metropolitan centers, the Chudlands are about to get owned so hard by civilized folk once the rotten structure of the federal government, which rural areas by design disproportionately influence, falls away

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

Throughout much of history city-states have dominated agricultural hinterlands and that was with the majority of the population being in agricultural areas, unlike now

What I'm saying is now that the majority of population is in metropolitan centers, the Chudlands are about to get owned so hard by civilized folk once the rotten structure of the federal government, which rural areas by design disproportionately influence, falls away

Also the last time rural gun nuts tried to take on organized urban states it didn't go so well for them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wouldn't a crisis severe enough to cause the USA to balkanize even exacerbate the rural-urban split? Not every person who lives in rural America is a gun nut survivalist chud. Wouldn't we see migrations en masse as people flee from the collapsing government in rural areas, lawlessness, chaos, etc., towards urban areas? I mean certainly we'd have a spike in urban terrorist activity, but I think that the rural areas could even empty even further as the non-chud rural residents abandon their towns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah there was mass migrations to cities for sure

animist
Aug 28, 2018
blood for the city god

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DrSunshine posted:

Wouldn't a crisis severe enough to cause the USA to balkanize even exacerbate the rural-urban split? Not every person who lives in rural America is a gun nut survivalist chud. Wouldn't we see migrations en masse as people flee from the collapsing government in rural areas, lawlessness, chaos, etc., towards urban areas? I mean certainly we'd have a spike in urban terrorist activity, but I think that the rural areas could even empty even further as the non-chud rural residents abandon their towns.

Wouldn't it be the reverse? Urbanization increases with more labor efficient agriculture and with complex, centralized, labor-intensive supply chains. The #1 economic effect of US balkanization would be the break down of supply chains, which would both reduce demand for urban population and create pulls for living in rural areas.

In particular, a lot of what allows us to have a country with only like 2M people in agriculture (and fishing+hunting) is complex machinery like combine harvesters. As replacement parts for those wear thin, labor demand in the countryside will rapidly escalate.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Don't forget the complete collapse of the the world economy as the dollar loses all value and Atlantic and Pacific internet cables get cut.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tulip posted:

Wouldn't it be the reverse? Urbanization increases with more labor efficient agriculture and with complex, centralized, labor-intensive supply chains. The #1 economic effect of US balkanization would be the break down of supply chains, which would both reduce demand for urban population and create pulls for living in rural areas.

In particular, a lot of what allows us to have a country with only like 2M people in agriculture (and fishing+hunting) is complex machinery like combine harvesters. As replacement parts for those wear thin, labor demand in the countryside will rapidly escalate.

That's a good point.

Maybe both? Like an initial rush, followed by a long-tail rural backwave to fill labor demand?

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Spergin Morlock posted:

President Xi takes out a 99 year lease on the Seattle Special Administrative Region

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't forget the complete collapse of the the world economy as the dollar loses all value and Atlantic and Pacific internet cables get cut.

Since we're on the Deus Ex speedrun the UN will probably combine the world's top reserve currencies into a global credit scheme that slowly subsumes national currencies over time

GATES FOUNDATION has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Apr 28, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nitrousoxide posted:

Good news about the dollar - there are already talks about shifting away from the USD as the dominant FX. It's been something that rivals to the US have talked about repeatedly in the past just as power plays, but the PRC might actually, finally be in a position to do something about it.

DrSunshine posted:

That's a good point.

Maybe both? Like an initial rush, followed by a long-tail rural backwave to fill labor demand?

There's a lot of ways it could go. The US is pretty odd in that a shitload of our land is extremely loving empty. I like to talk about Asheville, NC a lot because it's closer to stereotypes about Brooklyn than actual Brooklyn is, and it can do that on account of "45 square miles dedicated to board game cafes? Not like the land was going to use for anything else, fine."

Tulip has issued a correction as of 23:57 on Apr 28, 2020

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Metro areas could finally fulfill the old promise of 40 acres and a mule, and as a bonus it can be confiscated from white Trump voting landowners in rural areas who were displaced (to a mass grave).

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Tulip posted:

The only thing that would really drive people back to rural areas and agriculture would be a reversal of both the green revolution and industrialization.

As we have seen with oil prices lately, we are not short on petro-chemical inputs for fertilizers.

And we are not going to be short on tractor parts in the long term.

If anything, it will mean more localized industrialization. Agriculture isn't going to get more productive by throwing people at it. But a change in supply chains might mean you have to make more components and do final assembly more locally.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

And we are not going to be short on tractor parts in the long term.

This is the part I'm contesting on. If there's no balk, fine. If there's balk, then probably quite a few years where that's major issue. And food isn't the sort of thing you can just defer for years on end with no consequences.

The sort of thing that causes mass supply chain failure are likely to kick in before we even get to the stage where balk is a serious concern. If balk happens, tractor and combine and irrigation parts are going to be the sort of thing you have to assume are unavailable. It probably won't be an all-or-nothing but we will probably see a lot of the iterative and progressive green revolution and industrial gains get rolled back.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Tulip posted:

The sort of thing that causes mass supply chain failure are likely to kick in before we even get to the stage where balk is a serious concern. If balk happens, tractor and combine and irrigation parts are going to be the sort of thing you have to assume are unavailable. It probably won't be an all-or-nothing but we will probably see a lot of the iterative and progressive green revolution and industrial gains get rolled back.

I can't see this happening. At worst society ends up in 1992 Russia where "shuttle merchants" who fly on a plane to Belarus China etc. and then fly back with parts will keep tractor maintenance going. Just like in Russia where the sudden collapse of Soviet production meant people would borrow money from the russian mafia to take a bus to Germany and come home laden with goods for the new flea market economy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the combine harvesters wouldn’t work becuase of a DRM lockdown on the steering

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

euphronius posted:

the combine harvesters wouldn’t work becuase of a DRM lockdown on the steering

its this
people already pay people to jailbreak their farm equipment for them. what happens in the hellworld where john deere can execute the guys with that knowledge?

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Apr 29, 2020

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Tulip posted:

If balk happens, tractor and combine and irrigation parts are going to be the sort of thing you have to assume are unavailable.

Which is why you are more likely to see industry return to cities. To make spare parts, and eventually assembly lines for new equipment. Modern agriculture will not benefit from throwing city folk at it.

The US will never roll back to preindustrial farming. The Chinese will step in and loan us combines as usurious rates before we go back to threshing wheat by hand.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Somebody brought up the nukes in this thread already, right?

https://www.atomicheritage.org/location/university-california-berkeley

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3994504/How-close-live-NUKE-Fascinating-map-reveals-exact-locations-nuclear-bombs-stored.html

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Feldegast42 posted:

Thread title please

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

its this
people already pay people to jailbreak their farm equipment for them. what happens in the hellworld where john deere can execute the guys with that knowledge?

there’s a difference between executing the people who know how to construct enormously complex machines designed to support global supply chains in compliance with a hundred years of regulatory requirements and suppressing the basic automotive and machining knowledge necessary to build tractors for local agriculture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

If Justin Amash and Justin Trudeau are heads of state at the same time we actually form a new union.